Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
After Mention of 'Rape Attic,'
2 Frat Chapters Close
May 1, 2019 7:44 AM CDT
After Mention of 'Rape Attic,' 2 Frat Chapters Close
Phi Psi members 'appalled and disgusted' by leaked minutes
- Two fraternity chapters at Swarthmore College are no more after leaked documents revealed hazing; homophobic, racist and misogynistic language; and references to a "rape attic." Phi Psi, whose 117-page "Phi Psi Historical Archive" was leaked to student-run publications at the private Pennsylvania liberal arts college, and neighboring...
6 Years Ago, 2 Students Died.
Now, a New 'Tragic Event': Cops
Apr 30, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
6 Years Ago, 2 Students Died. Now, a New 'Tragic Event': Cops
3 students charged in hazing; Virginia State University considering disciplinary action for 8 more
- Three frat members at Virginia State University are charged with hazing following what police describe as a "tragic event" over the weekend. The Petersburg Bureau of Police has been tight-lipped on what allegedly occurred Sunday in a dead-end area of Pocahontas Island—a peninsula on the north side of...
Pledge Died After a Frat Party.
Now Come the Jail Sentences
Apr 3, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
Pledge Died After a Frat Party. Now Come the Jail Sentences
Dad of late Timothy Piazza: Men were 'individual players in a larger cast, but they knew the script'
- Sentencing day has come and gone for four ex-fraternity brothers at Penn State tied to the death of a 19-year-old pledge. Per the
Centre Daily Times
, Michael Bonatucci, Luke Visser, and Joshua Kurczewski were sentenced Tuesday by Centre County Judge Brian Marshall to minimums behind bars ranging from 30 days...
Fraternity in Hot Water Over
'Dora the Explorer' Backpacks
Feb 25, 2019 2:14 PM CST
Fraternity in Hot Water Over 'Dora the Explorer' Backpacks
University of Wisconsin-Madison suspends frat over hazing
- A fraternity at the University of Wisconsin-Madison was on Friday suspended for hazing, but the particulars of the offense aren't as harrowing as hazing stories often are. Citing a school press release, the
reports Alpha Sigma Phi's hazing of pledges during the fall semester included running the...
Women Sue to Change
'Toxic' Frat Culture at Yale
Feb 13, 2019 1:03 AM CST
Women Sue to Change 'Toxic' Frat Culture at Yale
Class-action suit seeks gender integration
- Three women who say they were groped at frat parties during their first semesters at Yale are suing for major changes to the Greek system—including integration. Anna McNeil, 20, Eliana Singer, 19, and Ry Walker, 20, have filed a class-action suit against Yale and nine all-male fraternities, saying Yale...
As Alleged Baylor Rapist Avoids
Jail, Focus Turns to Judge
Dec 11, 2018 12:03 AM CST
As Alleged Baylor Rapist Avoids Jail, Focus Turns to Judge
Judge Ralph Strother has a history of apparently lenient sentences for accused sexual offenders
- A Texas judge on Monday accepted a plea deal allowing a former Baylor University student accused of raping a woman at a fraternity party to avoid serving jail time. Judge Ralph Strother accepted the plea deal for Jacob Walter Anderson, who was indicted on sexual assault charges and pleaded no...
Suit: Frat Pledge
Was Given Cocaine
Nov 1, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Suit: Frat Pledge Whacked Head, Was Given Cocaine
Lawsuit accuses Phi Kappa Psi of negligence, hazing
- The mother of a former University of Southern California student who killed himself last year is putting blame on the fraternity that allegedly hazed him. Kathleen Russell claims Phi Kappa Psi members forced 19-year-old pledge Alasdair Russell to "drink in excess to the point of passing out" at an...
1st Frat Brother Sentenced in
Penn State Hazing Death Case
Jul 31, 2018 4:43 PM CDT
1st Frat Brother Sentenced in Penn State Hazing Death Case
Ryan Burke avoids jail, is sentenced to house arrest
- A Penn State University fraternity member who plied a pledge with vodka the night he was fatally injured in a series of falls avoided jail time on Tuesday when a judge sentenced him to three months of house arrest, the AP reports. Ryan Burke, the first frat brother sentenced in...
He Got a Text
and She Read It.
Now She's Suing Him
Jun 15, 2018 6:35 AM CDT
He Got a Text and She Read It. Now She's Suing Him
Woman sues Delta Sigma Phi and members, including her ex, over sharing of sex tapes
- One of "many" women to have her sexual photos and videos shared among members of the University of Central Florida's Delta Sigma Phi fraternity in a private Facebook group called the "Dog Pound" is fighting back, says lawyer Michael Avenatti. In a lawsuit filed Thursday, Kathryn Novak...
University Expels Frat
Over 'Secret' Video
Apr 21, 2018 3:45 PM CDT
University Expels Frat Over 'Secret' Video
Theta Tau video is called 'racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, ableist, and sexist'
- Syracuse University has permanently expelled a fraternity over an offensive video that fraternity members say was intended as satire, the AP reports. The university announced the expulsion of Syracuse's Theta Tau chapter on its website Saturday. Chancellor Kent Syverud calls the Theta Tau video "racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, ableist...
University Suspends Frats,
Sororities After Blackface Pic
Apr 18, 2018 2:20 PM CDT
University Suspends Frats, Sororities After Blackface Pic
More photos have surfaced showing fraternity members dressed up as gang members
- A California state university has indefinitely suspended fraternities and sororities after photos surfaced showing a fraternity member in blackface and others dressed up as gang members. The move at California Polytechnic State University was announced Tuesday by school President Jeffrey Armstrong, who said in a lengthy letter to the campus...
Frat Suspended After
Blackface Photo Surfaces
Apr 12, 2018 5:40 AM CDT
Frat Suspended After Blackface Photo Surfaces
Students dressed as gang members on multicultural weekend
- In what critics say was just the latest example of insensitive behavior at California Polytechnic State University, fraternity members dressed up as stereotypical gang members during the college's multicultural weekend—and one student was photographed in blackface. The Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity was quickly placed on interim suspension after...
Frat Chapter at Cornell
'Horrified' Over 'Pig' Sex Game
Feb 7, 2018 9:50 AM CST
Frat Chapter at Cornell 'Horrified' Over 'Pig' Sex Game
Zeta Beta Tau members had sex contest based on women's weight
- A Cornell University fraternity chapter that held a sex contest that members dubbed the "Pig Roast" in reference to the weight of the women they slept with has been placed on probation for two years. The university said officials launched an investigation of the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity last...
Judge Bans Frat After
Pledge Dies in Hazing
Jan 8, 2018 2:50 PM CST
Judge Bans Frat After Pledge Dies in Hazing
Chun Hsien Deng was killed in 2013
- A judge in Pennsylvania has banned a fraternity from operating in the state for 10 years after the organization was found criminally liable for the death of a pledge four years ago. In December 2013 , Chun Hsien Deng, a student at Baruch College, died after falling unconscious during a hazing...
Frat Party So Off the Hook
Even the Air Was Buzzed
Dec 21, 2017 2:00 PM CST
Frat Party So Off the Hook Even the Air Was Buzzed
Police say air in Maryland fraternity tested positive on Breathalyzer
- We've all heard of a contact high, but a Maryland fraternity's recent "Tequila Tuesday" was so saturated with booze that it raised the possibility of a contact buzz.
reports that when police raided the Sigma Alpha Epsilon party in November, the very air registered a...
Shows Pledge Given
18 Drinks in 82 Minutes
Nov 13, 2017 7:34 PM CST
Recovered Video Shows Pledge Given 18 Drinks in 82 Minutes
The police were able to recover deleted video related to Tim Piazza's death
- Newly recovered security camera footage from inside a Penn State fraternity house showed a pledge had been given at least 18 drinks in 82 minutes , investigators said Monday in announcing dozens of new charges related to the pledge's death. Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller charged 10 new...
Nov 6, 2017 4:35 PM CST
FSU President Suspends All Fraternities, Sororities
Freshman Andrew Coffey died the morning after a party
- Following the death of a student at a party this past weekend, Florida State University has indefinitely banned all fraternities and sororities. Andrew Coffey, a 20-year-old civil engineering student and Pi Kappa Phi fraternity pledge, was found unresponsive Friday, the morning after a chapter party, and pronounced dead at the...
Frat Pledge Had BAC of 0.495
When He Died. Now 10 Arrested
Oct 12, 2017 4:03 AM CDT
Frat Pledge Had BAC of 0.495 When He Died. Now 10 Arrested
One of the arrested faces negligent homicide charge in death of Maxwell Gruver
- Ten people were arrested Wednesday on hazing charges in the death of a Louisiana State University fraternity pledge after a night of drinking, the AP reports. One of the 10 suspects—Matthew Naquin, 19—also faces a negligent homicide charge in the death last month of 18-year-old Maxwell Gruver, LSU...
LSU Suspends Frat Pledging
After Freshman's Death
Sep 15, 2017 11:10 AM CDT
LSU Suspends Frat Pledging After Freshman's Death
Maxwell Gruver died in alleged hazing incident involving alcohol
- Louisiana State University freshman Maxwell Gruver arrived at the Phi Delta Theta house in the hope of being admitted to the fraternity as an official member. Instead, he ended up at the hospital, where he died Thursday morning. Gruver, an 18-year-old pledge from Georgia, had been taken from the fraternity...
Manslaughter, Assault Charges
Tossed in Death of Frat Brother
Sep 1, 2017 12:55 PM CDT
Manslaughter, Assault Charges Tossed in Death of Frat Brother
18 members of Penn State fraternity had faced charges in death of Timothy Piazza
- After preliminary hearings that stretched over three months regarding the death of a Penn State fraternity brother , a judge has thrown out the most serious charges against 18 of the deceased's fellow brothers, Penn Live reports. According to WNEP , the judge dismissed all charges of involuntary manslaughter, aggravated assault,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.