Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cities in the US
Sep 17, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
10 Fastest-Growing Cities in the US
Myrtle Beach leads the way, but Florida holds court
- It may be primarily known as a vacation spot, but Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, is also fast becoming a permanent destination for more people. The city ranks first in a
US News & World Report
ranking of the fastest-growing metro areas in the nation. The city is relatively small compared...
in the World
Just Got Lower
Feb 22, 2023 12:20 PM CST
The Lowest Fertility Rate in the World Just Got Lower
South Korea beats its own dismal record—again
- South Korea has broken its own dismal record once more. The Asian nation has again notched the world's lowest fertility rate, reporting on Wednesday that data from 2022 shows Korean women bear an average 0.78 children over their lifetime, down from 0.81 the year prior. It marks...
Florida Is Growing
Faster Than Any State
Dec 23, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Florida Is Growing Faster Than Any State
Census Bureau puts Florida back on top in yearly population growth, pushing out Idaho
- Florida has supplanted Idaho as the nation's fastest-growing state, after a 1.9% population increase in the past year. The Census Bureau report restores Florida to the top spot for the first time since 1957, after being blocked for decades mostly by Nevada, Politico reports. Florida's population now...
Just Hit a Milestone
Nov 15, 2022 6:42 AM CST
World Population Just Hit a Milestone
It's estimated to top 8B for the first time on Tuesday
- You are now one of 8 billion people on the planet, according to UN estimates. The organization calculates the world population will cross the 8 billion mark on Nov. 15, though it admits it could be off as counting every single person on the planet is nearly impossible. Regardless, the...
Detroit Sues Census Bureau:
Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
Sep 20, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Detroit Sues Census Bureau: Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
City says agency is undercounting its residents
- Detroit sued the US Census Bureau on Tuesday over population estimates from last year that show the city lost an additional 7,100 residents, opening another front against the agency in a battle over how its people have been counted in the past two years. Mayor Mike Duggan told reporters...
A Demographic Shift
Underway for Black Americans
Mar 14, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
A Demographic Shift Underway for Black Americans
The AP explores a movement from bigger cities to smaller ones
- Brandon Manning and his wife were both born in the South and had been itching to return, but Manning didn't want to go back to his native Atlanta because of the traffic, housing costs, and sprawl. So, when he was offered a job teaching at Texas Christian University in...
Here's How Much the
World Grew in the Past Year
Dec 31, 2021 12:06 AM CST
Here's How Much the World Grew in the Past Year
By 74M people, according to US Census Bureau
- The world’s population is projected to be 7.8 billion people on New Year’s Day 2022, according to the US Census Bureau. That represents an increase of 74 million people, or a 0.9% growth rate from New Year’s Day 2021, the AP reports. Starting in the...
US Records 'Stunning'
Dec 21, 2021 11:43 AM CST
US Records 'Stunning' Population Stat
Nation added fewer than 400K people, sees lowest growth rate in history
- US population growth dipped to its lowest rate since the nation’s founding during the first year of the pandemic as the coronavirus curtailed immigration, delayed pregnancies, and killed hundreds of thousands of US residents, according to figures released Tuesday. The United States grew by only 0.1%, with an...
In Major Shift, China Will
Let Couples Have 3 Kids
May 31, 2021 6:21 AM CDT
In Major Shift, China Will Let Couples Have 3 Kids
Government is trying to counter an aging population
- Lifting the one-child policy wasn't enough. Now China is scrapping its two-child policy and allowing all couples to have three children. It's part of an effort to counter an aging population and a declining birth rate—what has been described as a "demographic time bomb" for the...
Is Coming to Pass
Apr 27, 2021 2:07 AM CDT
Demographers' Warning Is Coming to Pass
US population growth at second-slowest level ever
- US population growth has slowed to the lowest rate since the Great Depression, the Census Bureau said Monday, as Americans continued their march to the South and West and one-time engines of growth, New York and California, lost political influence. Altogether, the US population rose to 331,449,281 last...
US Population Growth Rate
Hits Lowest Point in a Century
Dec 30, 2019 6:15 PM CST
US Population Growth Rate Hits Lowest Point in a Century
Thanks to declining births, increasing deaths and more
- The past year’s population growth rate in the United States was the slowest in a century due to declining births, increasing deaths, and the slowdown of international migration, according to figures released Monday by the US Census Bureau. The US grew from 2018 to 2019 by almost a half-percent,...
China's 'More Children'
Policy Has Failed
Feb 18, 2019 12:26 AM CST
China's 'More Children' Policy Has Failed
But some couples are still being fined
- Facing a future demographic crisis and aging society, China's leaders are desperately seeking to persuade couples to have more children. In 1980 the notorious "one-child policy" came into effect, mandating often brutal punishments for violators ranging from forced abortions and sterilizations to fines and demotions. Fast-forward 35 years,...
5 Fastest Growing,
Shrinking Cities in US
May 15, 2018 5:47 PM CDT
5 Fastest Growing, Shrinking Cities in US
From the Villages in Florida to Pine Bluff, Arkansas
- The US population grew by 16.4 million people between 2010 and 2017, but that 5.3% increase wasn't reflected in many US cities. While the fastest-growing cities—generally marked by higher incomes and lower personal income tax rates than the national average—saw populations balloon by more than...
Get Ready to Golf in
City in America
Apr 6, 2018 9:06 AM CDT
Get Ready to Golf in the Fastest-Growing City in America
The courses must be hopping in The Villages, Fla.
- The US population as a whole may not be spiking, but in certain cities, there's been "explosive growth." That's per 24/7 Wall St. , which examined seven years' worth of recent data from the US Census Bureau's Population Estimates Program to unearth the fastest-growing city in...
Cities in US
May 25, 2017 10:48 AM CDT
10 Fastest-Growing Cities in US
Half of them are in Texas
- Four of the top five fastest-growing US cities with populations of 50,000 or more are in Texas, according to US Census Bureau estimates released Thursday. And of the top 15, 10 are in the South, the AP reports. The top 10:
Conroe, Texas: 7.8% increase from 2015 to
10 Fastest-Growing US States
Dec 26, 2016 4:28 PM CST
10 Fastest-Growing US States
Utah's on top for percentage increase
- Compared to the 433,000 residents Texas added in 2016, 60,500 new Utahans might seem like nothing. But the figure was enough to push Utah to the top of the heap of the fastest-growing US states, based on percentage increases in population, per Census data . The top 10:
10 Fastest-Growing US Cities
May 19, 2016 2:45 PM CDT
10 Fastest-Growing US Cities
Texas is home to 4 of them
- Detroit lost 3,107 residents in the year ending July 2015—which the
notes is the smallest drop in decades but still enough to knock Detroit out of the nation's 20 most populous cities for the first time since before the Civil War. (With a population of...
Policy Is No More
Oct 29, 2015 6:58 AM CDT
China's One-Child Policy Is No More
Couples in China can now have 2 kids if they choose
- For more than three decades, China has enforced a one-child policy meant to tamp down on population growth. Today marks a big change. Per the official Xinhua News Agency, China's Communist Party has replaced the one-child policy with a two-child policy, meaning any couple in China can have two...
A Challenge From a Planet
About to House 7B People
Oct 24, 2011 11:07 AM CDT
A Challenge From a Planet About to House 7B People
Time to change the way we think about prosperity: Joel Cohen
- The world’s population is set to hit 7 billion within a week, according to UN estimates, and we’re looking at 10 billion people by century’s end. And that raises a new challenge for Westerners, who must must "shake off, at last, the view that large and...
World's 7 Billionth Person
Arrives by Halloween
Oct 17, 2011 8:15 AM CDT
World's 7 Billionth Person Arrives by Halloween
UN says new projection is a call to action
- By the time you’re out trick-or-treating on Halloween, the planet will have marked an important milestone: As predicted, the world’s 7 billionth person will arrive this year , by Oct. 31, according to the UN Population Fund. It predicts that we’ll hit 8 billion just 14 more years...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.