Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest new stories and school shooting cases on Newser.com
Stories 21 - 40 |
Mother of Boy Who Shot
Teacher Hit With More Charges
Jun 6, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Mother of Boy Who Shot Teacher Hit With More Charges
Deja Taylor now faces federal charges as well
- The mother of the 6-year-old Virginia boy who shot his first-grade teacher has been charged in federal court with using a controlled substance while in possession of a handgun, a felony. The charge against Deja Nicole Taylor relates to pot, which is legal in Virginia but remains illegal under federal...
Skin Care Brand Sorry for
Mention of Campus Shooting
May 24, 2023 1:24 PM CDT
Skin Care Brand Sorry for Mention of Campus Shooting
In sponsored Biore video, TikTok influencer discussed MSU shooting
- Skin care brand Bioré says it's sorry about a sponsored influencer video that critics said trivialized a school shooting. In the video, which was taken down from TikTok but can be seen here , former Michigan State University student Cecilee Max-Brown discusses both her anxiety after the campus shooting that...
School Shooter Who Killed
6-Year-Old Pleads for Mercy
May 24, 2023 8:46 AM CDT
School Shooter Who Killed 6-Year-Old Pleads for Mercy
SC's Jesse Osborne, now 21, killed Jacob Hall in 2016 and now seeks to be released in his 60s
- A 21-year-old man serving two life sentences plus 30 years for murdering his father and subsequently carrying out a deadly school shooting is asking a judge for mercy so that he might eventually get out of prison. On Sept. 28, 2016, Jesse Osborne killed his father as he slept in...
A Year After Uvalde,
Families Feel 'Betrayal'
May 24, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
A Year After Uvalde, Families Feel 'Betrayal'
Parents are still seeking answers in a Texas city torn by massacre that killed 19 children, 2 teachers
- Wednesday is the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, which left 19 students and two teachers dead. Plans are in the works for a new school to replace the one where the massacre took place, in a different location in the city. "...
May 18, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
'Children's Book' Chronicles 'My First School Shooting'
Patricia Oliver, mom of Parkland victim Joaquin Oliver, wrote book to make impact on lawmakers
- There's a new "children's book" that recently made the rounds in DC—except it's actually a book for lawmakers, penned by the mom of a 17-year-old Parkland victim.
Joaquin's First School Shooting
is written by Patricia Oliver, mother of Joaquin Oliver, who was gunned down...
Had List of Names
May 3, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Police: Serbia School Shooter Had List of Names
The suspect's father has also been arrested
- A 13-year-old who opened fire Wednesday at his school in Serbia's capital drew sketches of classrooms and wrote a list of people he intended to "liquidate" in a meticulously planned attack, police said. He killed eight fellow students and a school guard before being arrested. The shooter first...
A 'Complete Tragedy'
in Serbia Leaves 9 Dead
May 3, 2023 7:26 AM CDT
A 'Complete Tragedy' in Serbia Leaves 9 Dead
8 children, security guard dead after teen allegedly opens fire in Belgrade with dad's gun
- School shootings have become a sad new reality in America, but now, news of a deadly one has arrived from overseas. Officials in the Serbian capital of Belgrade report that eight children are dead, as is a security guard, after a seventh-grader opened fire at his own school, per CNN...
Brazil Diverges From
US on School Violence
Apr 22, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Brazil Diverges From US on School Violence
Government follows 'the successes and the mistakes of other countries'
- About two weeks after a man killed four children in a Brazilian day care center, authorities already have rounded up some 300 adults and minors nationwide accused of spreading hate speech or stoking school violence. Little has been revealed about the unprecedented crackdown, which risks judicial overreach, but it underlines...
At Sandy Hook,
They Saw the Horrors
We Can't Possibly Imagine
Apr 20, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
At Sandy Hook, They Saw the Horrors We Can't Possibly Imagine
The 'New York Times Magazine' speaks to the crime-scene investigators
- The horrifying scenes of school shootings are impossible to picture for all but a few people: those tasked with meticulously documenting the scene. In a lengthy piece for the
New York Times Magazine
, Jay Kirk recounts what Detectives Art Walkley and Karoline Keith and Sgt. Jeff Covello took on when...
After School Shooting,
Tennessee Moves to
Apr 19, 2023 10:44 AM CDT
After School Shooting, Tennessee Moves to Shield Gunmakers
Bill passes state Senate to protect manufacturers from liability, will now head to governor
- In the wake of a deadly school shooting last month, Republican lawmakers in Tennessee awarded final passage Tuesday to a proposal that would further protect gun and ammunition dealers, manufacturers, and sellers against lawsuits. The Senate's 19-9 vote sends the bill to Republican Gov. Bill Lee, despite pushback from...
Lawyer Details Mom's Struggles
Before Son, 6, Shot Teacher
Apr 14, 2023 12:56 PM CDT
Lawyer Details Mom's Struggles Before Son, 6, Shot Teacher
She was arraigned on charges of child neglect and failing to secure a handgun on Friday
- The mother of a 6-year-old Virginia boy who shot and wounded his teacher had a series of miscarriages and post-partum depression in the year before the shooting, her attorney said Friday, after she was arraigned on charges of child neglect and failing to secure the handgun her son used in...
Mother of Boy Who Shot
Teacher Turns Herself In
Apr 14, 2023 12:03 AM CDT
Mother of Boy Who Shot Teacher Turns Herself In
Other counts are possible in the case, Virginia prosecutor says
- The mother of the 6-year-old boy who shot his first-grade teacher has been arrested, police announced Thursday. She turned herself in and was released after posting a $5,000 bond, NBC News reports. The charges she faces are punishable by up to six years behind bars. "She is nervous...
Cops: Teen Arrested After
Disturbing Call From Sister
Apr 7, 2023 9:57 AM CDT
Cops: Teen Arrested After Disturbing Call From Sister
19-year-old accused of planning shootings at multiple schools, churches in Colorado Springs area
- A Colorado teen has been arrested and accused of plotting to "shoot up" schools and churches in the Colorado Springs area. According to an arrest affidavit obtained by the
, the sister of the 19-year-old suspect called authorities on March 31, noting that her sibling was exhibiting violent behavior,...
Apr 3, 2023 8:31 AM CDT
Shot 1st-Grade Teacher Sues for $40M
Abby Zwerner, shot by 6-year-old boy, accuses school officials of gross negligence
- A first-grade Virginia teacher who was shot and seriously wounded by her 6-year-old student filed a lawsuit Monday seeking $40 million in damages from school officials, accusing them of gross negligence for allegedly ignoring multiple warnings on the day of the shooting that the boy had a gun and was...
Nashville School Shooter
Reportedly Went Downhill
After Friend's Death
Mar 30, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Nashville School Shooter Reportedly Went Downhill After Friend's Death
Former classmates, teacher talk about the shooter's mental state
- The Nashville school shooter's mental state appeared to deteriorate after the death of a friend, a former classmate of the shooter tells NBC News . The 28-year-old shooter was shattered after the August death of Sydney Shere Sims in a car accident, according to ex-classmate Samira Hardcastle. The shooter and...
Hawley Says Feds Should
Treat School Shooting
as Hate Crime
Mar 28, 2023 7:18 PM CDT
Hawley Says Feds Should Treat School Shooting as Hate Crime
Garland says motive for Nashville attack is still unknown
- Sen. Josh Hawley is calling for federal agencies to investigate the Nashville school shooting as a hate crime against Christians. "It is commonplace to call such horrors ‘senseless violence,'" the Missouri Republican wrote in a letter Tuesday to FBI Director Christopher Wray and Homeland Security Secretary...
Cops: Nashville Shooter
Was Being Treated for
Mar 28, 2023 4:17 PM CDT
Cops: Nashville Shooter Was Being Treated for 'Emotional Disorder'
Audrey Hale legally owned 7 guns, chief says
- The perpetrator of the mass shooting at a Christian school in Nashville Monday legally bought seven firearms, though Audrey Hale's parents were not aware the weapons were still in their home, police said at a briefing Tuesday. Metro Nashville Police Department chief John Drake said Hale was "under...
Minutes Before Entering School,
Shooter Issued a Warning
Mar 28, 2023 6:58 AM CDT
Minutes Before Entering School, Shooter Issued a Warning
'Something bad is about to happen,' Audrey Hale told friend
- At 9:57am Monday, Audrey Hale sent several messages to a former middle school basketball teammate, announcing plans to die by suicide. "I don't want to live," the suspected Nashville school shooter wrote, reports WTVF . "Something bad is about to happen," Hale continued. "You'...
Reporter at Nashville Scene
Survived a School Shooting
Mar 28, 2023 12:14 AM CDT
Reporter at Nashville Scene Survived a School Shooting
Joylyn Bukovac urged parents to be gentle with kids who were there
- While reporting live on air at the scene of Monday's mass shooting at a Nashville elementary school, WSMV 4 reporter Joylyn Bukovac revealed that she survived a school shooting when she was in eighth grade. "This is something that hits very close to home for me—many of...
Shooting Victims Include
Three 9-Year-Olds, Headmaster
Mar 27, 2023 5:12 PM CDT
Shooting Victims Include Three 9-Year-Olds, Headmaster
Police identify attacker as a former student at the school
- The three students shot to death Monday at a private school in Nashville were all 9 years old, police said—two girls and a boy. Officials identified them as Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs, and William Kinney, the
reports. The adult victims were Cynthia Peak, 61; Katherine Koonce, 60; and...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.