Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'Irish Giant' Will Be Taken
Off Display in London Museum
Jan 11, 2023 4:37 PM CST
'Irish Giant' Will Be Taken Off Display in London Museum
Charles Byrne wanted to be buried at sea after 1783 death
- For more than 200 years, the skeleton of Charles Byrne, known as the "Irish Giant," was on display in the last place he wanted it to end up: the collection of British surgeon John Hunter. But the 7-foot, 7-inch Irishman's wishes will finally be respected this year....
The Super-Tall Tend to
Die Young—but Why?
Feb 28, 2017 8:54 PM CST
The Super-Tall Tend to Die Young—but Why?
Phenomenon may be linked to how excess growth hormone affects the heart
- Andre the Giant may be the most well-known; Neil Fingleton, who played Mag the Mighty on
Game of Thrones
, is the most recent . Both actors were seriously tall men who died young (Andre was 46, Fingleton 36), and Gizmodo wants to know why. The site looks into the common fate...
Meet the Man
Nov 15, 2014 3:10 PM CST
Meet the Man Who Hunts for Giants
Jim Vieira is looking for bone evidence
- He may not have climbed any beanstalks, but Jim Vieira is hard at work attempting to track down giants. He believes that there may, at some point, have been a race of people who were more than seven feet tall, perhaps had two rows of teeth, and lived in America....
Dutch Giant 'Too Big for Jail'
Jan 28, 2011 8:42 AM CST
Dutch Giant 'Too Big for Jail'
7-foot, 500-pound con seeks release
- A gargantuan Dutchman serving time for fraud is seeking early release because his cell just isn't big enough. The prisoner—who is 7 feet tall and weighs 500 pounds—says he can't sleep properly or use the cell's shower and toilet without extreme discomfort, the BBC reports. He is seeking...
7-Foot Dog Has
High Hopes for
Oct 8, 2009 11:42 AM CDT
7-Foot Dog Has High Hopes for World Record
North Dakota specimen, ermm, Boomer, stands 3 ft tall and 7 ft long
- The owner of a North Dakota dog who drinks from the kitchen sink and stares motorists right in the eye thinks he’s a candidate for world’s tallest dog. Boomer, a 180-pound Landseer Newfoundland, measures 3 feet at the shoulders and 7 feet nose to tail. His owner plans...
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.