Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
With 'Yes' Vote,
Jul 20, 2023 9:21 AM CDT
With 'Yes' Vote, Union Could Shut Down Broadway
IATSE votes on strike authorization
- Theater artists could soon join screenwriters and radio, TV, and film actors in taking to the picket line. The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts (IATSE), representing 1,500 stagehands, wardrobe personnel, and hair and makeup artists on 28 of 30 Broadway productions...
Drop Snake Act
May 11, 2023 11:49 AM CDT
to Drop Snake Act
Terrestrial snakes were dropped in water tank with cabaret dancer
- The snake show is now history at Paris' historic
cabaret. The club has dropped a long-running act in which a dancer swims around snakes in a water tank, the
reports. Animal rights campaigners said the snakes involved, Southeast Asian reticulated and Indian pythons, were terrestrial species and...
Pays Tribute to
Oct 13, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
Theater World Pays Tribute to Angela Lansbury
Theaters in London's West End dimmed their lights
- Angela Lansbury was a star on the stage as well as the screen, and theaters in London's West End dimmed their lights Wednesday night in her memory. Lansbury died in Los Angeles on Tuesday , days before she would have turned 97. In 2014, she returned to the West End...
Survivor of Theater
Things Were Happening'
Mar 23, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Survivor of Theater Bombing: 'Terrible Things Were Happening'
Those who made it out of devastation in Mariupol, Ukraine, detail the day's events
- It was just one laser-guided bomb that destroyed a drama theater in Mariupol, Ukraine, last week. That's the conclusion of Mckenzie Intelligence Services, which performed an analysis of the attack for the BBC . But that single bomb is all it took to wreak devastating havoc, and the broadcaster is...
After Theater Bombing, Rescue
Services 'No Longer Exist'
Mar 18, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
After Theater Bombing, Rescue Services 'No Longer Exist'
With 130 survivors but 'hundreds' still buried in rubble, things still look dire in Mariupol, Ukraine
- The search for survivors continued Friday in the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol, where Russian forces have been accused of targeting civilians by bombing a mosque , a maternity hospital , and, most recently, a theater . Lyudmyla Denisova, Ukraine's human rights chief, told the
that 130 people have been...
Here Are Your
Tony Award Winners
Sep 27, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Here Are Your Tony Award Winners
'Moulin Rouge' wins big
Moulin Rouge! The Musical
, a jukebox adaptation of Baz Luhrmann’s hyperactive 2001 movie, won the best new musical crown at the Tony Awards on a Sunday night when Broadway looked back to honor shows shuttered by COVID-19, mourn its fallen, and also look forward to welcoming audiences again. The...
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Only
Arrest Will Stop Me Reopening
Jun 8, 2021 8:41 PM CDT
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Only Arrest Will Stop Me Reopening
He plans to reopen London theaters on June 21 'come hell or high water'
- Andrew Lloyd Webber owns six London theaters—and he says he's going to reopen them on June 21 whether the British government changes its reopening date or not. The composer claims that scientific evidence shows theaters are "completely safe" even at full capacity, the
reports. His production...
Andrew Lloyd Webber Puts
His Money Where His Mouth Is
Aug 13, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Andrew Lloyd Webber Puts His Money Where His Mouth Is
Says he would do 'anything' to reopen theaters, steps up for vaccine trial
- Andrew Lloyd Webber is anxious to get audiences back to the theater, which is why he's now taking part in a coronavirus vaccine trial from Oxford University and pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca. "I am excited that tomorrow I am going to be vaccinated for the Oxford Covid 19 trial,...
Extended Until Labor Day
May 12, 2020 5:32 PM CDT
Broadway Shutdown Extended Until Labor Day
'Difficult but necessary,' says actors' union
- The shutdown on Broadway has been extended again—until at least early September. Although an exact date for performances to resume has yet to be determined, Broadway producers are now offering refunds and exchanges for tickets purchased for shows through Sept. 6. "While all Broadway shows would love to...
New Proof of 'How
Powerful the Arts Are'
Dec 24, 2019 10:25 AM CST
New Proof of 'How Powerful the Arts Are'
Researchers say engaging in art, music, theater can lower risk of dying early
- It doesn't seem like a stretch to say most people feel pretty good after a stimulating afternoon at the museum or rousing Broadway production. Now, research out of University College London suggests that exposing oneself to the arts—be it going to museums, art galleries, concerts, the opera, or...
Dec 6, 2019 7:18 AM CST
Maggie Smith on
Dame 'didn't really feel I was acting'
- Somebody give a dame a challenge. Legendary British actress Maggie Smith, star of
, says she "didn't really feel I was acting in those things." Smith took home three Emmys, a Golden Globe, and a Screen Actors Guild award for her role as...
After Loud Sound, a
'Sea of People Running' in NYC
Aug 7, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
After Loud Sound, a 'Sea of People Running' in NYC
People started screaming, thinking it was another shooting
- The mass shootings over the weekend in El Paso and Dayton have everyone on edge, and that anxiety played out Tuesday night in New York City after a loud sound sent people running. ABC News reports that thousands of locals and tourists in Times Square started screaming and fleeing in...
Actress' Historic Win
Is a Tonys Highlight
Jun 10, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Actress' Historic Win Is a Tonys Highlight
Ali Stroker uses a wheelchair
, the brooding musical about the underworld, had a heavenly night at the Tony Awards, winning eight trophies Sunday, including best new musical and handing a rare win for a female director of a musical. Playwright Jez Butterworth's
was crowned best play. In the four lead actor...
to Puerto Rico,
With Tears and
Its Original Star
Jan 12, 2019 5:30 AM CST
Went to Puerto Rico, With Tears and Its Original Star
Lin-Manuel Miranda reprised title role in emotional special fundraising performance
- Lin-Manuel Miranda reprised his lead role in the hit musical
on Friday night to start a two-week run in Puerto Rico expected to raise thousands of dollars for artists and cultural groups struggling in the wake of Hurricane Maria. Miranda took the stage for the first time since his...
Musical That 'Makes
Wins 10 Tonys
Jun 11, 2018 12:39 AM CDT
Musical That 'Makes Borders Disappear' Wins 10 Tonys
The Band's Visit left Harry Potter in 2nd place
- The American, grown-up musical
The Band's Visit
outmuscled the acclaimed and sprawling British import
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
for the most Tony Awards on Sunday, capturing 10 statuettes, including best musical, on a night where the theme of acceptance flowed through the telecast, the AP reports.
Actor Calls Out
Crowd for Using Phones
May 1, 2018 3:05 AM CDT
Actor Calls Out Crowd for Using Phones
'This isn't a movie, What is up with you guys?'
- The lead actor in a production of the Tony Award-winning musical
has called out Salt Lake City theater-goers who pulled out their cellphones during performances in Utah. Soon after the show ended, Joseph Morales called the behavior shockingly rude in a tweet on Sunday, when he wrote: "SLC,...
Actors in Risque Theater Show
Deal With Audience Groping
Feb 6, 2018 6:38 PM CST
Actors in Risque Theater Show Deal With Audience Groping
BuzzFeed talks to performers in the popular 'Sleep No More' production in New York City
- It's not your average theater performance, and it's not your average problem for the actors involved: audience members who grope them. As BuzzFeed explains, the popular
Sleep No More
production at the McKittrick Hotel in New York City is a "blood-and-sex filled adaptation of
" in which...
Sponsors Flee as
NYC Theater Portrays
Trump as Slain Caesar
Jun 12, 2017 6:36 AM CDT
Sponsors Flee as NYC Theater Portrays Trump as Slain Caesar
Delta, Bank of America yank sponsorship of NYC's Public Theater
- Beware the ides of March ... or the withdrawal of six-figure sponsorships. Delta Air Lines and Bank of America on Sunday night pulled their sponsorship of New York’s Public Theater over its production of
The issue: In this reimagining, it's a President Trump lookalike (Gregg Henry) who...
Dig at Shakespeare
Theater Reveals a Surprise
May 21, 2016 4:54 PM CDT
Dig at Shakespeare Theater Reveals a Surprise
It was rectangular, not circular; and toys for sound effects were found
- The Bard was truly ahead of his time—and not only because of his way with words. Archaeologists digging at one of London's oldest playhouses , where Shakespeare's company performed from 1597 to 1599, have found a ceramic bird whistle they believe was used for sound effects—perhaps during...
With 16 Tony
May 3, 2016 9:08 AM CDT
Makes Broadway History With 16 Tony Nods
No one's really surprised that Lin-Manuel Miranda's hit musical is leading the pack
- The megahit musical
has grabbed a record-breaking 16 Tony Award nominations, the biggest haul in Broadway history and another notch in the show's march into theatrical history. Lin-Manuel Miranda's hip-hop-flavored biography about the first US treasury secretary broke the 15-nominations record Tuesday held by
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.