Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kyrgios Has Unusual
Complaint at US Open
Sep 1, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Kyrgios Has Unusual Complaint at US Open
Umpire warned crowd against smoking after the 'heavy asthmatic' complained about pot smoke
- An umpire at the US Open warned the crowd not to smoke marijuana on Wednesday following a complaint from Australian player Nick Kyrgios. There was "a strong party vibe" in the crowd at New York's Louis Armstrong Arena as the Wimbledon finalist faced France's Benjamin Bonzi in...
In Our Recreational
Choice, a Big First
Aug 30, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
In Our Recreational Substances of Choice, a Big First
11% of US adults tell Gallup they smoke cigarettes; pot smokers surpass that for first time, with 16%
- In the mid-1950s, nearly half of US adults copped to smoking cigarettes. After decades of PSAs and warnings from the medical community on the dangers of smoking, it's probably not surprising that that figure has plummeted to just 11%—and it's now been surpassed by Americans who say...
Today's Potent Marijuana
Poses Bigger Addiction Risk
Jul 26, 2022 4:34 PM CDT
Today's Potent Marijuana Poses Bigger Addiction Risk
Users of high-potency THC products have 4 times the risk of users of low-potency products
- Cannabis potency is climbing and with it the risk of addiction to the drug. That's according to a review of 20 studies involving nearly 120,000 people, published in
The Lancet Psychiatry
, per CNN . "One of the highest quality studies included in our publication found that use of...
Thailand Handing Out
1M Free Cannabis Plants
May 11, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Thailand Handing Out 1M Free Cannabis Plants
- Not so unusual: a country legalizing medicinal marijuana . Very unusual: the country giving its citizens cannabis plants so they can grow pot at home. That's what's happening now in Thailand, which in 2018 legalized marijuana for medical research and use. In January, Reuters reported the country decided to...
It's Not a Happy 4/20
for Pot Investors
Apr 20, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
It's Not a Happy 4/20 for Pot Investors
Lack of progress in DC has crashed stock prices
- Today is the annual celebration of cannabis culture, but with legalization efforts stalled in Washington, DC, investors in cannabis companies don't have a lot to celebrate, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The value of many well-known marijuana stocks has dropped by more than 50%, and they could fall further...
Pandemic, Worker Shortage
Change Employee Drug Testing
Mar 31, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Pandemic, Worker Shortage Change Employee Drug Testing
Percentage of positive tests rises, but more employers aren't testing for THC
- Against a backdrop of changing marijuana laws and a worker shortage, more employees are testing positive for drug use. Quest Diagnostics, one of the largest testers, found that 3.9% of the 6 million urine tests it processed last year came back positive, up 50% from 2017. In that same...
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot,
Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Feb 10, 2022 6:12 PM CST
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot, Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Louisiana's Gary Chambers Jr. is making waves despite limited budget
- A Louisiana candidate for the US Senate is making waves with his ads, which show him smoking marijuana and burning the Confederate flag. Baton Rouge community activist Gary Chambers Jr.—who had a viral moment in 2020 when he called out a school board member for online shopping during...
Malawi Has an Unusual
Offer for Mike Tyson
Nov 30, 2021 7:29 AM CST
Malawi Has an Unusual Offer for Mike Tyson
The country wants him as its new cannabis ambassador, but his rape conviction hovers
- In "something we weren't expecting" news this week, Mike Tyson has been asked to be an ambassador. Specifically, the cannabis ambassador for the African nation of Malawi, which hopes that the former world heavyweight champ's brand will help bring investors to its nascent medicinal pot industry. "...
Pregnant Moms May Want
To Just Say No to Marijuana
Nov 21, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Pregnant Moms May Want To Just Say No to Marijuana
Cannabis may lead to more anxious, aggressive children
- Moms-to-be may want to lay off the marijuana, or risk having babies more likely to be anxious or exhibit behavioral problems. That's per a study out of Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and the City University of New York, which found that kids of women who ingest...
Illegal Pot Edibles Are Packaged
as Name-Brand Snacks
Oct 28, 2021 5:31 PM CDT
Illegal Pot Edibles Are Packaged as Name-Brand Snacks
California warns about potent cannabis products: 'These Aren’t Doritos'
- California Attorney General Rob Bonta issued a consumer alert Thursday about illegal, potent cannabis edibles for sale that are being packaged to look like snack and candy brands popular with children and teens. The edibles are being sold online and at California unlicensed shops, the AP reports. They often contain...
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash
Had Cocaine, Pot in System
Sep 23, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash Had Cocaine, Pot in System
5 died after balloon hit power lines in New Mexico
: The hot air balloon pilot killed along with his four passengers in a crash in Albuquerque, NM, in June had drugs in his system, the Federal Aviation Administration says. A toxicology report released Wednesday says blood and urine samples taken from 62-year-old Nicholas Meleski show he had marijuana and...
After Olympic Letdown, WADA
to Review Controversial Ban
Sep 15, 2021 12:22 PM CDT
After Olympic Letdown, WADA to Review Controversial Ban
Sha'Carri Richardson lost spot in Tokyo Games due to pot use
- Sha'Carri Richardson missed her chance to compete in Tokyo's Summer Olympics due to pot use, but a move by the World Anti-Doping Agency could keep future athletes from meeting the same fate. On Tuesday, WADA announced it will set up an advisory committee to review whether cannabis should...
A Warning for
Sep 7, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
A Warning for Cannabis Users Under 45
They're almost twice as likely as nonusers to suffer a heart attack, study finds
- Heart attacks are significantly more prevalent in US adults under 45 who use cannabis than those who don't, according to researchers, who dispute the idea that cannabis is safe. Their study, published Tuesday in the
Canadian Medical Association Journal
, looks at the health data of more than 33,000...
Is Convicted After
Troops Grew Paranoid
in case you missed it
Aug 22, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Soldier Who Brought Cupcakes Is Convicted After Troops Grew Paranoid
Canadian bombardier made marijuana dessert at home
- Canadian soldiers complained of feeling paranoid, sluggish, and confused during a live firearms field exercise on a hot day in 2018. Medical officials were called to the training site in New Brunswick, and the cause was traced to the homemade chocolate cupcakes the troops had just eaten, the BBC reports....
Study Suggests Link Between
Jul 25, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
Study Suggests Link Between Schizophrenia, Cannabis
Danish researchers say cases have gone up as pot becomes more prevalent and potent
- A new study out of Denmark shows a link between increased cases of schizophrenia and cannabis use disorder. The study, published in JAMA Psychiatry , notes that both the use and potency of cannabis have gone up in the last 20 years. Cannabis use disorder is not the mere use of...
This Is the Source of All Weed
Jul 20, 2021 11:49 AM CDT
This Is the Source of All Weed
Study suggests cannabis was first grown in northwest China
- Humans have been growing cannabis for 12,000 years, according to new research claiming to pinpoint where the first crops were developed. Scientists writing in
add 82 whole genomes of cannabis plants to the 28 already sequenced, determining the first
plant was likely domesticated not in...
Push to Legalize
Pot at Federal Level
Jul 14, 2021 11:36 AM CDT
Top Democrats Push to Legalize Pot at Federal Level
They're calling for an end to prohibition
- Top Senate Democrats have unveiled draft legislation to legalize marijuana, remove federal penalties, and erase nonviolent federal cannabis-related criminal records. The proposal from Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden, and Sen. Cory Booker, dubbed the Cannabis Administration and Opportunity Act, would remove marijiuana, now fully...
LA County Seizes Illegal Pot
Valued at a Record $1B
Jul 7, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
LA County Seizes Illegal Pot Valued at a Record $1B
Sheriff warns growers for cartels: 'Your days are over'
- In a 10-day operation in California's Antelope Valley, sheriff's officials said they seized 373,000 marijuana plants and 33,480 pounds of harvested marijuana. The estimated street value of the pot is more than $1 billion, officials said, making it the biggest haul ever in Los Angeles County,...
Double Standard on Pot,
Alcohol Needs to Change
Jul 2, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Double Standard on Pot, Alcohol Needs to Change
Olympic officials will have to accept reality eventually, Nancy Armour writes
- Marijuana use is legal in 18 states, and it's been decriminalized in another 12. One of the states where it's legal is Oregon, where a test found traces of pot in Sha'Carri Richardson's system, tossing out the sprinter's 100-meter victory at the US Olympic Track...
Before Her First Olympics,
a Positive Test for Pot
Jul 2, 2021 8:57 AM CDT
Before Her First Olympics, a Positive Test for Pot
It's now not clear if 21-year-old sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson will compete in Tokyo Games
- A breakout track star set to head to her first Olympics is now in competition limbo after she tested positive for marijuana. In news first reported by the
in Jamaica, US sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson has had her win at last month's 100-meter race at the US Olympic...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
Supreme Court Just Got What May Be Its Weirdest Brief of the Year
Arizona Clinic Comes Up With Abortion Pill Workaround
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.