Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fire Kills 10
Region of China
Nov 25, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Fire Kills 10 in Locked-Down Region of China
Neighbors say COVID restrictions kept fire engines at a distance
- A fire in an apartment building in northwestern China's Xinjiang region killed 10 people and injured nine, authorities said Friday, during the stringent lockdowns that have left many residents in the area stuck in their homes for more than three months. The fire broke out Thursday night in the...
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just
Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Oct 31, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Park closed indefinitely on Monday, and guests inside can't leave till they show negative COVID test
- An NPR headline from early Monday morning notes that, due to COVID, Shanghai Disney and its adjacent shopping community will be closed indefinitely from Halloween on forward. What that headline fails to mention is that all the visitors at the theme park when officials decided to abruptly close the gates...
They Claimed 'New World Order'
on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Aug 31, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
They Claimed 'New World Order' on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Anti-vaxxers fueled by conspiracy theories must pay Aussie federal, state gov'ts $150K in legal fees
- Every Australian state except for one, as well as one territory and the nation's federal government, is set to recoup tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees after a federal judge ruled against an anti-vaxxer group, saying the members had failed to prove their claims that COVID mandates...
Tried to Lock
Everyone In an Ikea.
Aug 15, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Health Officials Tried to Lock Everyone In an Ikea. Then, Chaos
Patrons bust out of Shanghai store after lockdown due to customer's close contact with COVID patient
- Usually when it's closing time at a store, patrons calmly make their final purchases and exit. The scene was a bit more chaotic over the weekend at an Ikea in Shanghai after health authorities tried to lock everyone inside following a coronavirus report tied to one of the customers....
Outbreak Strands 80K Tourists
Aug 7, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Outbreak Strands 80K Tourists
Chinese resort city reports 263 cases in a day, prompting lockdown
- All flights and trains out of the Chinese tropical resort city of Sanya have been canceled in response to a COVID-19 outbreak, stranding more than 80,000 tourists. A lockdown went into effect Saturday after 263 cases were confirmed, the BBC reports. Officials said tourists in Sanya, plus anyone who'...
to Lift 2-Month Lockdown
May 31, 2022 2:28 PM CDT
Shanghai Prepares to Lift 2-Month Lockdown
'I could die' from happiness, resident says
- Shanghai authorities say they will take major steps Wednesday toward reopening China's largest city after a two-month COVID-19 lockdown that has set back the national economy and largely confined millions of people to their homes. Already, a steady stream of people strolled in the Bund, the city's historic...
Zero Cars Were Sold
in Shanghai Last Month
May 17, 2022 3:21 PM CDT
Zero Cars Were Sold in Shanghai Last Month
Lockdown hit city's economy hard
- Shanghai is finally beginning to emerge from a long, harsh lockdown that was initially supposed to last only a few days—but the economic damage will take time to recover from. In what Bloomberg sees as evidence of how strict the lockdown was, not a single car was sold in...
Residents Complain About
Being Fenced Off in Shanghai
Apr 24, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Residents Complain About Being Fenced Off in Shanghai
Government takes down online video about conditions during COVID lockdown
- Shanghai residents are objecting to the Chinese government's stepped-up lockdown to keep the coronavirus from spreading in the city, a campaign that now includes fencing off streets and residential buildings. "This is so disrespectful of the rights of the people inside, using metal barriers to enclose them like...
Calls for Johnson's
Resignation Grow Amid
Apr 12, 2022 10:31 AM CDT
Calls for Johnson's Resignation Grow Amid 'Partygate' Update
British PM will be fined by police for breaching COVID regulations during lockdown bashes
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's office said Tuesday that he and Rishi Sunak, the nation's Treasury chief, will be fined by police for breaching COVID-19 regulations following allegations of lockdown parties at government offices while millions in Britain were barred from meeting with friends and family, per the...
Shanghai Officials Fired
Over COVID Response
Apr 8, 2022 4:03 AM CDT
Shanghai Officials Fired Over COVID Response
Authorities say they failed to control outbreak
- Three local officials in Shanghai have been sacked over a slack response to the COVID-19 outbreak in China’s largest city, where residents are complaining of harsh lockdown conditions leading to shortages of food and basic necessities. An official notice Friday gave no details of the allegations against the three...
Shanghai Locks Down
Other Half of City
Apr 1, 2022 4:20 AM CDT
Shanghai Locks Down Other Half of City
West side is locked down, but lockdowns on east side could be extended
- About 16 million residents in Shanghai are being tested for the coronavirus during the second stage of the lockdown that shifted Friday to the western half of China's biggest city and financial capital. Meanwhile, residents of Shanghai’s eastern districts who were supposed to be released from four days...
China's Economy Slips
Below a Key Threshold
Mar 31, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
China's Economy Slips Below a Key Threshold
Activity in manufacturing, services contract for first time since February 2020
- The omicron variant of COVID-19 is hitting the world's second-largest economy hard. Amid efforts at containment, China's official Purchasing Managers' Index for the manufacturing sector dropped below 50 on the 100-point scale in March, the National Bureau of Statistics said Thursday, meaning activity contracted after four straight months...
Shanghai Begins Unusual
Phased COVID Shutdown
Mar 28, 2022 6:19 AM CDT
Shanghai Begins Unusual Phased COVID Shutdown
City of 26M will be locked down one half at a time
- COVID lockdowns may be nonexistent in the US these days, but not so in China: Its biggest city, Shanghai, begins a massive shutdown on Monday that will play out in two phases, reports CNBC . Those who live of east of the Huangpu River, which divides the city, will be shut...
VP Harris Landed
at Joint Base
Mar 7, 2022 9:04 AM CST
VP Harris Landed at Joint Base Andrews. Then, 2 Intruders
Authorities say a teen with a weapon was arrested Sunday night, one person still on the loose
- After her appearance Sunday at the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Ala., to mark the 57th anniversary of "Bloody Sunday," Vice President Kamala Harris flew back to the DC area, arriving at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland close to 9pm. That's when, per base officials, two intruders...
Levi's Exec Says Her COVID
Views Cost Her a Job
Feb 14, 2022 11:44 AM CST
Levi's Exec Says Her COVID Views Cost Her a Job
Jennifer Sey spoke out against school lockdowns
- A former Levi's exec is calling out her longtime employer in an essay, saying she was forced out of her job because of her views about school COVID lockdowns. In the essay on the Substack channel Common Sense , Jennifer Sey writes that she got into hot water with the...
Jan 31, 2022 3:07 PM CST
Potential Trouble for Johnson: 300 Photos
British prime minister under fire after scathing report on Downing Street parties
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson apologized Monday after an inquiry concluded that Downing Street parties while Britain was in lockdown represented a “serious failure” of judgment. But Johnson brushed off calls to quit over the “partygate” scandal, promising...
Wish I'd Been
Jan 15, 2022 9:00 AM CST
DeSantis: Wish I'd Been 'Much Louder' Against Trump's COVID Move
Fla. governor says he wishes he'd spoken up to protest shutdowns in early pandemic
- Things have started to get tense between Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump, starting when the former president appeared to call the Florida governor "gutless" this week for not admitting whether or not he'd received the COVID booster shot. Now, DeSantis is firing back, second-guessing how Trump handled things...
Woman Stuck in Blind Date's
Home Due to Lockdown
Jan 12, 2022 1:45 PM CST
Woman Stuck in Blind Date's Home Due to Lockdown
Chinese woman had gone to man's home for dinner
- In China, more than 20 million people in several cities are under strict lockdown orders—and while some people are having trouble getting enough food , the tight controls have also created some more amusing situations. In Zhengzhou, capital of central China's Henan province, a woman started a video diary...
'Dead Man Walking'
Jan 12, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Colleague on Boris Johnson: 'Dead Man Walking'
After apology over party, even Tory MPs say the PM may have to go
- Boris Johnson confirmed Wednesday that he attended a garden party at 10 Downing Street in May 2020 in the midst of a coronavirus lockdown, for which there are growing calls for his resignation. Speaking in the House of Commons, the British prime minister offered "heartfelt apologies" after admitting he...
'Furious Backlash' in UK
After New COVID Commotion
Jan 11, 2022 7:45 AM CST
'Furious Backlash' in UK After New COVID Commotion
PM Johnson allegedly attended Downing Street BYOB garden party in May 2020 amid lockdowns
- Boris Johnson and his staff just can't seem to avoid lockdown controversies. Last month, accusations (and evidence) surfaced of two 2020 gatherings at 10 Downing Street—an alleged springtime social event and a Christmas party —that appeared to be in violation of the UK's strict rules at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
Cops Reveal Cause of Death for Michigan Rappers, Friend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.