Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on
Murder of Idaho Students
Dec 1, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on Murder of Idaho Students
Police say they're not sure if University of Idaho classmates were targeted
- The four University of Idaho students murdered Nov. 13 might not have been targeted after all, according to the Moscow Police Department. The Latah County Prosecutor's Office recently said one or more attackers "specifically looked at this [off-campus] residence" and "one or more of the occupants were...
Idaho Cops: Surviving
Roommates May Be
'Key' in College Murders
Nov 18, 2022 1:39 PM CST
Idaho Cops: Surviving Roommates May Be 'Key' in College Murders
Xana Kernodle had 'bruises' from fighting back, dad says; loved ones of other victims also speak
- "It doesn't make sense." Those are the words of Jeffrey Kernodle, father of Xana Kernodle, one of the four University of Idaho students slain last weekend in their off-campus home in the small town of Moscow, which hasn't seen a murder since 2015, per CBS 5...
Looking for Friends.
Now, a Neighbor Arrested
Nov 16, 2022 3:05 AM CST
He Vanished Looking for Friends. Now, a Neighbor Arrested
Michael Vaughan disappeared in July 2021
- On July 27, 2021, Michael Vaughan, who had recently turned 5, slipped out of his house in Fruitland, Idaho, and started knocking on neighbors' doors, looking for older neighborhood kids to play with, his mom says. Now, a neighbor the family does not know has been arrested in his disappearance....
He Was Obsessed With a 1984
Crime. Now He's Guilty Of It
Nov 1, 2022 1:41 PM CDT
He Was Obsessed With a 1984 Crime. Now He's Guilty Of It
Steven Pankey convicted of felony murder in 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews' death
Steve Pankey was on Monday found guilty of second-degree kidnapping and felony murder in the case of a 12-year-old Colorado girl killed in 1984. He was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole after 20 years. The
reports Jonelle Matthews' father spoke prior to sentencing and implored...
Cat Who Vanished
9 Years Ago
Turns Up 1K Miles
Oct 8, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Cat Who Vanished 9 Years Ago Turns Up 1K Miles From Home
Calif. owner has no idea how Harriet ended up in Idaho
- A cat who disappeared from her California home nine years ago has been found, but no one has a clue what she's been doing for nearly a decade, nor how she ended up wandering the streets of a small Idaho city more than 1,000 miles away. The
Idaho's Abortion Ban
Has Ripple Effect
on Birth Control
Sep 27, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Idaho's Abortion Ban Has Ripple Effect on Birth Control
University of Idaho might have to stop providing contraception
- Idaho's near-total abortion ban could have consequences beyond abortion: In new guidance regarding the ban issued Friday, the University of Idaho's general counsel said the school should no longer make birth control available to students. The law's language is "unclear and untested," the message says,...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
of Raping 19-Year-Old
Intern Gets 20 Years
Sep 1, 2022 12:48 AM CDT
Lawmaker Convicted of Raping 19-Year-Old Intern Gets 20 Years
Aaron von Ehlinger won't be eligible for parole for at least 8 years
The former Idaho lawmaker convicted of raping a 19-year-old legislative intern has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for the crime, the AP reports. Aaron von Ehlinger must serve at least eight years before he will be eligible for parole, 4th District Judge Michael Reardon said during the...
Idaho Blocked From
Enforcing Abortion Ban
in Medical Emergencies
Aug 25, 2022 1:11 AM CDT
Idaho Blocked From Enforcing Abortion Ban in Medical Emergencies
Judge has concerns that would violate federal law on emergency care
- A federal judge in Idaho has barred the state from enforcing a strict abortion ban in medical emergencies over concerns that it violates a federal law on emergency care, the AP reports. The ruling Wednesday evening came after a federal judge this week in Texas made the opposite call, barring...
This Is the Best
State to Live In
Aug 15, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
This Is the Best State to Live In
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- There's no one perfect state in the US to live in, but you can likely find the perfect state for
. WalletHub looked at all 50 of them, examining more than four dozen metrics in five main categories:
, including home prices, taxes, and cost of living;
In Idaho, a 'Horrible
Display of Truly Unusual
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
In Idaho, a 'Horrible Display of Truly Unusual Human Behavior'
Wildlife officials are trying to find out who hit a group of geese with their car, decapitated them
- Wildlife officials in Idaho are scratching their heads over an "unusual case" involving a gaggle of dead geese. A release from the Idaho Department of Fish and Game is asking for the public's health in IDing the person or persons who, sometime over the Fourth of July weekend,...
Despite Threats, City Stands
Firm After Patriot Front Arrests
Jun 13, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Despite Threats, City Stands Firm After Patriot Front Arrests
Coeur d'Alene won't go 'back to the days of the Aryan Nations,' mayor says
- At one point Monday, the police department in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, had received almost 150 calls from the public about the arrests of 31 men connected to a white supremacist group who were headed to an LGBTQ+ event in town. About half of the calls were congratulatory, NBC News...
31 Patriot Front
Near Pride Event
Jun 12, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
31 Patriot Front Members Arrested Near Pride Event
Members of white supremacist group intended to riot, authorities say
- Authorities arrested 31 members of the white supremacist group Patriot Front near an Idaho pride event Saturday after they were found packed into the back of a U-Haul truck with riot gear, the AP reports. The men were standing inside the truck wearing khakis, navy blue shirts and beige hats...
Idaho Officer's Accusation:
Police Chief Broke My Neck
Apr 27, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Idaho Officer's Accusation: Police Chief Broke My Neck
Sgt. Kirk Rush files tort claim alleging harm at the hands of Boise Police Chief Ryan Lee
- An Idaho police officer alleges his department's chief broke his neck while demonstrating an unusual neck restraint last October. CBS News explains that state law requires a person who intends to sue a government agency to first file a tort claim, which that agency can then respond to. Sgt....
Legality as He Signs
Texas-Like Abortion Law
Mar 23, 2022 4:59 PM CDT
Governor Questions Legality as He Signs Texas-Like Abortion Law
Little says he expects Idaho measure to be ruled unconstitutional
: Idaho's governor has signed anti-abortion legislation modeled after the law in Texas. Republican Gov. Brad Little noted his reservations about the legality of the measure even as he approved it. "While I support the pro-life policy in this legislation, I fear the novel civil enforcement mechanism will...
Idaho Bill on Trans Youth
Could Send Parents
to Prison for Life
Mar 10, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Idaho Bill on Trans Youth Could Send Parents to Prison for Life
They could be hit with felony for seeking gender-affirming medical care for kids, even in other states
- As parents of transgender children in Texas grapple with the state's new law over providing gender-affirming medical care, Idaho parents are now facing similar issues, with even more restrictions piled on. The
reports that on Tuesday, the Idaho House of Representatives passed a bill barring such medical...
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made
Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2022 6:30 AM CST
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
Now there's a waiting list for Dillon Helbig's graphic novel in Boise, Idaho
- Who needs a literary agent? Not this 8-year-old author from Boise, Idaho, who just self-published and promoted his comic book in a most unique way. Turns out Dillon Helbig snuck a copy of his DIY comic,
The Adventures of Dillon Helbig's Crismis
—by "Dillon His Self"—onto...
Do We Have a
'Moral Obligation' to
Mine for Cobalt in Idaho?
Jan 29, 2022 1:45 PM CST
Do We Have a 'Moral Obligation' to Mine for Cobalt in Idaho?
One of the country's largest stores of cobalt is there
- As the planet's need for lithium—or, more specifically, lithium-ion batteries—continues to swell, so too does the need for metals needed to make those batteries. Cobalt is one of them. As Michael Holtz explains in a lengthy piece for the
, a White House report issued in June...
Spends All of
Jan 28, 2022 9:45 AM CST
Idaho Dad Spends All of 2021 Breaking World Records
David Rush says he broke 52 world records last year; Guinness has so far confirmed 43 of them
- David Rush spends more time than the average person trying to break world records, and he racked up 150 of them since 2015, according to the bio on his website . Now, the Idaho author and entertainer who calls himself "one of the most prolific Guinness World Records title holders...
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.