Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NYC on Every
Single Hurricane Ida
Claim: Sorry, Nope
Aug 17, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
NYC on Every Single Hurricane Ida Claim: Sorry, Nope
City says it's not liable for damage from excessive rain, leaving residents with huge bills
- New Yorkers filed 4,703 claims against the city for home damage caused by flooding during Hurricane Ida, citing negligence in sewer maintenance, and every single one was denied. Nearly a year on from the storm, the comptroller's office issued denial letters citing precedent set by a 1907 case...
Owner Held After
Sending Elderly to
Warehouse in Storm
Jun 22, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Owner Held After Sending Elderly to Warehouse in Storm
More than 800 nursing home residents were found in squalor after hurricane struck
- The owner of seven Louisiana nursing homes who sent more than 800 of his elderly residents to a crowded, ill-equipped warehouse to ride out Hurricane Ida last year was arrested Wednesday on fraud and cruelty charges arising from the squalid conditions. Bob Glynn Dean Jr., 68, was already facing state...
10 Costliest Natural Disasters
in the World for 2021
Dec 27, 2021 12:01 PM CST
10 Costliest Natural Disasters in the World for 2021
Hurricane Ida in the US caused the most damage
- The cost of weather disasters keeps going up. The UK charity Christian Aid is out with its annual snapshot, one that ranks the 10 worst such disasters of the year worldwide and pegs their total cost at more than $170 billion, reports the
. The figure, up from $150 billion...
Remains of Man
Attacked in Hurricane
Sep 27, 2021 1:34 AM CDT
Remains of Man Attacked in Hurricane Floodwaters Found Inside Alligator
Police have identified the remains inside captured gator
The human remains found inside a Louisiana alligator are indeed those of Timothy Satterlee, the 71-year-old who was attacked by a gator in floodwaters outside his home after Hurricane Ida on Aug. 30. Authorities had captured the animal almost two weeks later, and now they have confirmed the remains...
in NY, NJ
Sep 7, 2021 7:24 PM CDT
Biden Surveys Hurricane Damage in NY, NJ
Climate change is 'everybody's crisis,' he says
- President Biden declared climate change has become "everybody's crisis" on Tuesday as he toured neighborhoods flooded by the remnants of Hurricane Ida, warning it's time for America to get serious about the "code red" danger or face ever worse loss of life and property. Biden spoke...
5 Die in New Orleans'
Sep 6, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
5 Die in New Orleans' Senior Apartments
City forms teams to search hot buildings after some residents were trapped
- Officials in New Orleans are thoroughly inspecting senior living apartments in the city in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida after finding people living in buildings without working generators, trapping residents in wheelchairs in dark, sweltering upper floors. Five people died in the private buildings Sunday, and hundreds have already been...
Divers ID Source
of 'Miles-Long' Oil
Slick in Gulf
Sep 6, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Divers ID Source of 'Miles-Long' Oil Slick in Gulf
No one knows yet, though, who the broken pipeline belongs to
- Divers at the site of an ongoing oil spill that appeared in the Gulf of Mexico after Hurricane Ida have identified the apparent source as a 1-foot-diameter pipeline displaced from a trench on the ocean floor and broken open. Talos Energy, the Houston-based company currently paying for the cleanup, said...
Congregation Arrives for
Outdoor Mass, Finds Lights On
Sep 5, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Congregation Arrives for Outdoor Mass, Finds Lights On
Louisiana parishioners find donated goods in the pews
- Amid the dramatic devastation caused by Hurricane Ida, there was at least one bright light Sunday near New Orleans: Parishioners found that electricity had been restored to their church, a small improvement as residents of Louisiana struggle to recover. In Jefferson Parish, the Rev. G. Amaldoss expected to celebrate Mass...
Many Killed In NJ Flooding
Found Trapped In Cars
Sep 4, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Many Killed In NJ Flooding Found Trapped In Cars
Deep, swift water seems to have caught drivers off guard
- At least 25 people died in New Jersey in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida. The remnants of the storm dumped rain on the Northeast—as much as three inches in an hour in some areas, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. People in areas that got severe weather and flooding got...
More Than 45
Dead in Flooding
Sep 2, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
More Than 45 Dead in Flooding
23 victims were in New Jersey, 12 in New York City
- A stunned East Coast faced a rising death toll, surging rivers, tornado damage, and continuing calls for rescue Thursday after the remnants of Hurricane Ida walloped the region with record-breaking rain, drowning more than two dozen people in their homes and cars, per the AP . In a region that had...
Historic Rains in NYC,
New Jersey Leave Several Dead
Sep 2, 2021 5:42 AM CDT
Historic Rains in NYC, New Jersey Leave Several Dead
Death toll is 8 so far as remnants of Ida roll through
- At least eight deaths were reported in New York City and New Jersey as relentless rain from the remnants of Hurricane Ida sent the New York City area into a state of emergency early Thursday and the storm carried into New England with threats of more tornadoes, per the AP...
In Ida's Wake,
100 Say They're
Sep 1, 2021 10:06 AM CDT
In Ida's Wake, 100 Say They're Stranded Aboard Ship
Crew endured 80-foot waves as hurricane passed by
- More than 100 men on a drill ship in the Gulf of Mexico say they endured 80-foot waves as Hurricane Ida passed by and are now stranded, with no clue when they'll be rescued. The crew aboard Noble Corporation's
drill ship, about 100 miles off Louisiana,...
Bonnaroo Canceled—But Not
Because of Why You'd Think
Sep 1, 2021 1:38 AM CDT
Bonnaroo Canceled—But Not Because of Why You'd Think
Ida's heavy rains in Tennessee make festival grounds unsafe
- Heavy rains from Hurricane Ida have forced Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Tennessee to cancel as organizers say the waterlogged festival grounds are unsafe for driving or camping. The annual festival was scheduled to start Thursday on the site of a former farm in Manchester, about an hour southeast...
New Orleans Swelters
in Hurricane's Aftermath
Aug 31, 2021 5:02 PM CDT
New Orleans Swelters in Hurricane's Aftermath
Residents are under a heat advisory, and there's no power for air-con
- In New Orleans, the levees held during Hurricane Ida—but the entire city was left without power, as were hundreds of thousands of homes elsewhere in Louisiana and Mississippi, and those without generators will now have to swelter in dangerous heat without air-con. The National Weather Service issued a heat...
2 Killed in Mississippi
Aug 31, 2021 3:46 AM CDT
2 Killed in Mississippi Highway Collapse
10 injured in incident likely related to Hurricane Ida
- Two people were killed and 10 others hurt after heavy rain likely related to Hurricane Ida washed away part of a highway near the town of Lucedale, Miss., on Monday night. A hole about 50 feet long and 20 feet deep was created, and several vehicles went in, CNN reports....
Big Test in New Orleans
Aug 30, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Levees Passed Big Test in New Orleans
But residents elsewhere had to be rescued from rising floodwaters
- The damage done by Hurricane Ida is still being assessed—but levees and other flood protection measures strengthened in New Orleans since Katrina hit 16 years ago appear to have passed the test. The Flood Protection Authority said that as of Monday morning, water had not "overtopped" any of...
Journalist Accosted While
Reporting on Hurricane
Aug 30, 2021 4:16 PM CDT
Journalist Accosted While Reporting on Hurricane
Shaquille Brewster was fine after being interrupted by an irate heckler
- Shaquille Brewster was in Gulfport, Mississippi, reporting on the aftermath of Hurricane Ida for MSNBC. Craig Melvin, cozy in a studio somewhere asked him what he was seeing. Video shows him reporting that mail delivery had resumed while wind and rain persisted, when an apparently very upset man runs up...
of Ida's Damage
Aug 30, 2021 1:56 PM CDT
Images Emerge of Ida's Damage
Hurricane 'came in and did everything that was advertised, unfortunately'
- Hurricane Ida "came in and did everything that was advertised, unfortunately," Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said Monday as images of damage caused by one of the most powerful hurricanes ever to hit the US mainland emerged. Rescuers set out in hundreds of boats and helicopters to reach...
All of New Orleans Loses
Power as Ida Rolls Through
Aug 30, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
All of New Orleans Loses Power as Ida Rolls Through
Power is out as hurricane is downgraded to a tropical storm
- The entire city of New Orleans was without power Monday morning thanks to Hurricane Ida. The weather system is now over Mississippi, having been downgraded to a tropical storm 16 hours after making landfall in Louisiana, reports the AP . Despite the downgrade, storm surges, winds, and heavy rain pose a...
Hospitals Slammed With COVID
Now Coping with Hurricane Ida
Aug 29, 2021 6:51 PM CDT
Hospitals Slammed With COVID Now Coping with Hurricane Ida
Some facilities are evacuating patients, others are hunkering down
- Southern Louisiana’s hospitals, already packed with coronavirus patients from a fourth surge of the virus, were dealing Sunday with another challenge—the howling Category 4 hurricane pounding the coast. “Once again we find ourselves dealing with a natural disaster in the midst of a pandemic,” said Jennifer...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.