Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nikki Haley: Senate Is Just
a 'Privileged Nursing Home'
Sep 1, 2023 6:35 AM CDT
Nikki Haley: Senate Is Just a 'Privileged Nursing Home'
After McConnell freeze-up, presidential contender says aging politicians need to know when to retire
- As whispers continue to circulate over the future of Mitch McConnell's leadership following his second public freeze-up , Nikki Haley is saying out loud what she thinks about aging lawmakers, and when they should realize it might be time to pack it up on Capitol Hill. Appearing on Fox News'...
Poll Suggests Trump Could Pay
for Sitting Out GOP Debate
Aug 28, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Poll Suggests Trump Could Pay for Sitting Out GOP Debate
Frontrunner slips 6 points as several rivals are on the rise
- A poll taken after the Republican presidential debate has found changes in the race, with several candidates inching up and the absent frontrunner losing a bit of support. The Emerson College poll showed Donald Trump falling from 56% support among people who plan to vote in a GOP primary to...
The GOP Debate
Was Feisty. Who Won?
Aug 24, 2023 8:41 AM CDT
The GOP Debate Was Feisty. Who Won?
Former President Trump is the 'clear winner,' per Vox
- Without former President Trump on stage, the eight "underdogs" taking part in the first Republican presidential primary debate Wednesday in Milwaukee had the opportunity to "differentiate themselves in the field," reports the
New York Times
. Many seized on the chance and "at certain points, you could...
Gets Into It
With CNN Over
Aug 23, 2023 8:49 AM CDT
Ramaswamy Gets Into It With CNN Over 9/11, Taiwan
Candidate accused of 'mansplaining' after Kaitlan Collins points out apparent contradictions
- Vivek Ramaswamy may have been practicing for Wednesday's Republican presidential primary debate when he sparred with CNN's Kaitlan Collins on Tuesday. Onlookers had a lot to say about the interview in which Ramaswamy accused Collins of trickery and putting words into his mouth. Collins had pressed the 38-year-old...
Fox News Bars Trump Team
From Post-Debate Coverage
Aug 22, 2023 12:41 PM CDT
Fox News Bars Trump Team From Post-Debate Coverage
Eight GOP candidates will be on the stage Wednesday night in Milwaukee
- Nine candidates may have the numbers to officially qualify for the first Republican debate Wednesday night, but only eight will be on the stage. Coverage:
Candidates on stage will Ron DeSantis, Tim Scott, Nikki Haley, Mike Pence, Chris Christie, Vivek Ramaswamy, Doug Burgum, and Asa Hutchinson, reports the
Takeaways From Nikki Haley's
CNN Town Hall
Jun 5, 2023 6:49 AM CDT
Takeaways From Nikki Haley's CNN Town Hall
She criticizes rivals Trump and DeSantis, though forum is less combative than most
- Nikki Haley took part in her own CNN town hall Sunday night, though her appearance doesn't appear to be getting anywhere near the attention of former President Trump's . Here are some of the takeaways from coverage of the former UN ambassador and South Carolina governor as she vies...
Trump's Next Town Hall
Won't Go Out Live
May 26, 2023 10:08 AM CDT
Trump's Next Town Hall Won't Go Out Live
June 1 event in Iowa will be hosted by Fox's Sean Hannity
- Former President Trump is following up his CNN town hall event with one on another network he often maligns—Fox News. The network says the frontrunner for the 2024 GOP nomination will join host Sean Hannity for a town hall in Iowa on Thursday, the Hill reports. The network says...
Just Got More
May 19, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
The 2024 GOP Race Just Got More Interesting
Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina officially files the paperwork to run in 2024
- He's in. GOP Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina filed the paperwork Friday to run for president in 2024 with the Federal Election Commission, reports CNN . Scott, the only Black Republican senator, is expected to have a traditional campaign launch on Monday. The paperwork isn't the only Scott...
75 Must Be
May 1, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
Nikki Haley: Leaders Over 75 Must Be Tested
GOP candidate calls out Dianne Feinstein and President Biden in particular
- Last week, GOP candidate Nikki Haley made headlines by suggesting it's unlikely a reelected President Biden "would make it" through a second term, notes NBC News . In an op-ed at Fox News , Haley continues the age theme with a renewed call for mandatory competency tests for politicians 75...
Bank Collapse Quickly
Mar 13, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
Bank Collapse Quickly Becomes Political
GOP contenders weigh in as Biden praises his administration's response
- The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank and another large bank has quickly become a political issue, with 2024 GOP contenders, or presumed contenders, weighing in and casting blame. CNBC rounds some up, including an all-caps slam from former President Trump.
: "We will have a Great Depression far bigger
Report: Fox Has
Mar 3, 2023 8:23 AM CST
Report: Fox Has 'Soft Ban' on Trump Appearances
Per Semafor, network owner Rupert Murdoch wanted to make Trump a 'nonperson' after Jan. 6
- Former President Trump has been ranting this week, among myriad things, about Fox News and owner Rupert Murdoch , accusing the network of "going in the wrong direction" and proclaiming that "viewers, and MAGA, are not happy!" What may be partially driving the former president's ire: the...
Yes, She Goes
by 'Nikki,' and
Feb 24, 2023 1:30 PM CST
Yes, She Goes by 'Nikki,' and Critics Should Respect That
Daily Beast essay defends her choice to go by her middle name instead of Nimarata
- Now that Nikki Haley has launched her campaign for president, critics have begun revisiting a personal choice she made long ago: She goes by her middle name, Nikki, instead of her first name, Nimarata. "To these gatekeepers of cultural authenticity, Haley must either be Nimarata or a self-hating Indian...
Trump Gets Behind Haley's Call
Feb 21, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Trump Gets Behind Haley's Call
Former president says that anyone running for the Oval Office should have to pass mental fitness test
- The Nikki Haley-Donald Trump dynamic remains an enigma: Days after the former UN ambassador announced her presidential bid in competition with her former boss, while specifically calling out politicians older than 75 as needing a mental competency test (Trump is 76, and President Biden is 80), Trump seemingly got on...
Haley's Call for
Feb 20, 2023 8:52 AM CST
Haley's Call for 'Competency Tests' Roils Bernie Sanders
'Absurd,' senator says of Haley's suggestion that politicians over 75 have their abilities assessed
- CNN host Don Lemon has come under fire for a comment he recently made about Nikki Haley being past her "prime"—a remark made after the former South Carolina governor and current GOP presidential candidate noted she thought there should be mental "competency tests" for politicians over...
Remarks on Haley
Feb 17, 2023 12:34 PM CST
CNN CEO Slams Lemon: Remarks on Haley 'Unacceptable'
Chris Licht said he was 'disappointed' in anchor for saying on air that Haley wasn't in her 'prime'
- A self-admitted "inartful" comment made by CNN host Don Lemon about GOP presidential candidate Nikki Haley—a remark that's widely being called sexist by many others—has now earned an official rebuke from his boss. On Friday, the cable news network's CEO, Chris Licht, kicked off his...
Don Lemon Regrets Comments
on Women 'in Their Prime'
Feb 16, 2023 3:18 PM CST
Don Lemon Regrets Comments on Women 'in Their Prime'
Critics called his assessment of Nikki Haley sexist
- When Nikki Haley announced her presidential candidacy on Tuesday, she called for requiring politicians over age 75 to take mental competency tests. On CNN Thursday, host Don Lemon objected to what he considered Haley's premise, the Hill reports. "This whole talk about age makes me uncomfortable," he...
Trump Has His First
Official GOP Challenger
Feb 14, 2023 6:50 AM CST
Trump Has His First Official GOP Challenger
Nikki Haley launches her 2024 campaign for president
- Nikki Haley is in. The former governor of South Carolina and UN ambassador formally launched her 2024 campaign for president on Tuesday, reports the AP . "Time for a new generation," the 51-year-old tweeted . The message accompanies a video in which Haley strikes an upbeat tone, reports the Hill...
Trump May Actually
Want Haley to
Run in 2024
Feb 9, 2023 10:30 AM CST
Trump May Actually Want Haley to Run in 2024
Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows ex-SC governor would steal big chunk of votes from Ron DeSantis
- Former President Trump says he recently told Nikki Haley to "go by your heart" in her decision to run for his old job in 2024, even though he's also a contender. Now, it looks like Haley's expected candidacy might actually help Trump, siphoning away support for yet...
Nikki Haley Denies
Teases 2024 Run
Jan 20, 2023 12:06 PM CST
Nikki Haley Denies Pompeo 'Gossip,' Teases 2024 Run
Former UN ambassador says she did not vie for Mike Pence's job ahead of 2020 race
- Toying with a presidential run, Nikki Haley on Thursday denied claims that she eagerly fought to replace Mike Pence as Donald Trump's vice president even as she served as ambassador to the United Nations. The former South Carolina governor calls the claims "lies and gossip to sell a...
Book: Trump Wanted to Trade
Puerto Rico for Greenland
Sep 15, 2022 2:42 PM CDT
Book: Trump Wanted to Trade Puerto Rico for Greenland
Idea to purchase Danish territory wasn't actually his, according to reporters
- In an interview for a new book, Donald Trump insisted the idea to buy Greenland from Denmark was all his. Looking at a map, the president wondered, "Why don't we have that?" Trump told husband-and-wife journalists Peter Baker of the
New York Times
and Susan Glasser of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.