Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 23, 2022 1:34 PM CDT
Gaetz Expected to Avoid Trafficking Charges
Sources cite credibility issues with witnesses, per the Washington Post
- Matt Gaetz is likely to skirt sex trafficking charges related to his alleged sexual involvement with a 17-year-old girl, according to the
. Prosecutors have recommended that the Justice Department not lay charges against the Florida congressman as a conviction would be unlikely. According to the
a Pardon in
Sep 17, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
Gaetz Wanted a Pardon in Sex Trafficking Case: Witness
Panel had heard testimony that pardon requests were over efforts to overturn election
- Rep. Matt Gaetz, who's under federal investigation on suspicion of sex trafficking, told former President Donald Trump's chief of staff that a preemptive pardon in the case "would be great," a witness told a House committee. Johnny McEntee, a White House aide during Trump's term,...
Teen Who Killed
Ordered to Pay
Sep 14, 2022 5:53 AM CDT
Teen Who Killed Alleged Rapist Ordered to Pay Restitution
Pieper Lewis was a victim of human trafficking in Iowa
- A teenage human trafficking victim who was initially charged with first-degree murder after she stabbed her accused rapist to death was sentenced Tuesday in an Iowa court to five years of closely supervised probation and ordered to pay $150,000 restitution to the man’s family. Pieper Lewis, 17, was...
Court Lets Homicide Defendant
Use Sex Trafficking Defense
Jul 6, 2022 5:06 PM CDT
Court Lets Homicide Defendant Use Sex Trafficking Defense
Chrystul Kizer will have to provide evidence for the claim, Wisconsin decision says
- A defendant will be allowed to argue in her trial defense that she killed a man because he sexually abused her for years, the Wisconsin Supreme Court decided Wednesday. The state's affirmative defense law was designed to safeguard sex trafficking victims from facing prosecution for "any offense committed...
Ghislaine Maxwell Gets
20 Years in Epstein Case
Jun 28, 2022 1:42 PM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Gets 20 Years in Epstein Case
It's far fewer than the 30 to 55 years federal prosecutors sought
- Federal prosecutors wanted 30 to 55 years, but Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to far fewer on Tuesday. The jet-setting socialite who once consorted with royals, presidents, and billionaires was sentenced to 20 years for helping the financier Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse underage girls. Defense attorneys wanted a five-year term. That...
Ghislaine Maxwell Could
Get 55 Years in Prison
Jun 23, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Could Get 55 Years in Prison
She wants 5 years; prosecutors say her claim of being a scapecoat is 'absurd and offensive'
- The "shockingly predatory" Ghislaine Maxwell should be sentenced to 30 years up to the maximum 55 years for helping Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse four teenage girls over a decade, federal prosecutors write in a sentencing memorandum filed Wednesday in Manhattan federal court. The 60-year-old played an "instrumental role...
Apr 8, 2022 6:35 AM CDT
Snoop Dogg Sexual Assault Claim Withdrawn
'Her complaint was full of false allegations and deficiencies,' spokesperson says
: A lawsuit against Snoop Dogg that made headlines days before his Super Bowl halftime show performance has been dropped. In the February lawsuit, a woman identified only as "Jane Doe" accused Snoop Dogg and a friend of sexually assaulting her after a 2013 concert. The suit was withdrawn...
'Dorm Dad From Hell'
Found Guilty on All Counts
Apr 6, 2022 2:34 PM CDT
'Dorm Dad From Hell' Found Guilty on All Counts
Lawrence Ray held a group of Sarah Lawrence students under his sway for years
He may have enjoyed almost total control over the much younger Sarah Lawrence College students he pulled into his web after moving into their dorm, but Lawrence Ray can't say the same of the jury who heard his case. The 62-year-old was on Wednesday found guilty of all...
Tells Judge He
Wants Jury Trial
Jan 26, 2022 4:32 PM CST
Prince Andrew Tells Judge He Wants Jury Trial
Filing denies allegations in Virginia Giuffre's lawsuit, seeks dismissal
- Britain's Prince Andrew issued fresh denials in a court filing Wednesday in which he "demands a trial by jury" in the sexual assault lawsuit facing him in New York. The document answers accusations in Virginia Giuffre's suit, CNN reports. The denials respond to accusations that Andrew conspired...
Maxwell Requests Retrial,
Citing 'Juror No. 50'
Jan 20, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Maxwell Requests Retrial, Citing 'Juror No. 50'
If a juror lied on questionnaire about past sexual abuse, it could be a factor
Ghislaine Maxwell has requested a retrial following her conviction for crimes including sex trafficking of a minor . The request was made Thursday by a lawyer who requested that all submissions related to "Juror No. 50 remain under seal until the court rules," per the CBC . Two jurors...
It's a Bad Omen for Matt Gaetz
Jan 13, 2022 8:21 AM CST
It's a Bad Omen for Matt Gaetz
Ex-girlfriend reportedly testifies before grand jury in sex trafficking probe
- An ex-girlfriend of Rep. Matt Gaetz on Wednesday testified before a grand jury investigating the Florida Republican for alleged sex trafficking, various outlets report. The former Capitol Hill staffer was seen arriving at a federal courthouse in Orlando, where a grand jury is known to be meeting. "All I...
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends
With Sex-Offender Arrests
Jan 3, 2022 9:10 AM CST
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends With Sex-Offender Arrests
Monthslong effort also tracks down 5 missing teens in Louisiana
- For most of the fall season, the US Marshals Service was hard at work in Louisiana, scoping out the New Orleans area in an annual crime-fighting operation that paid off big time this year. In a report issued in 2021's final days, the agency announced that thanks to "...
Now Maybe Maxwell
Wants to Cut a Deal
Dec 30, 2021 6:55 PM CST
Now Maybe Maxwell Wants to Cut a Deal
She'd have to turn over big names to win a reduced sentence, experts say
- Until her conviction Wednesday on sex trafficking charges, Ghislaine Maxwell didn't see a need to cooperate with investigators. Apparently confident of acquittal, she had told the court that "the government has not proven its case beyond a reasonable doubt." Now that Maxwell is awaiting sentencing, legal analysts...
Tell Judge They
Have Plans on
Dec 23, 2021 6:23 AM CST
Maxwell Jurors Tell Judge They Have Plans on Thursday
Jurors head home for Christmas without reaching a verdict; trial to resume Monday
- If Ghislaine Maxwell had hoped to receive closure on her legal fate before her 60th birthday, which falls on Christmas Day, that gift won't be coming. Still, the Jeffrey Epstein associate "looked happy" Wednesday upon finding out the jury in her sex trafficking trial hasn't yet reached...
Dec 17, 2021 5:36 PM CST
Defense Rests Without Testimony From Maxwell
Defendant tells judge prosecution hasn't proven its case
This file has been updated with the defense resting its case.
Ghislaine Maxwell's lawyers wrapped up their case Friday in her New York trial on charges that she helped Jeffrey Epstein recruit and sexually abuse underage girls. The jury did not hear from the defendant, the AP reports....
Jury to Be Finalized in
Ghislaine Maxwell Trial
Nov 29, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Jury to Be Finalized in Ghislaine Maxwell Trial
Sex-trafficking trial for Jeffrey Epstein associate begins Monday
- Two years after Jeffrey Epstein's suicide behind bars, a jury is set to be picked Monday in New York City to determine a central question in the long-running sex-trafficking case: Was his longtime companion, Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein's puppet or accomplice? Maxwell—who once dated the financier—is accused...
One Word Allowed at Trial Is
Bad News for Ghislaine Maxwell
Nov 2, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
One Word Allowed at Trial Is Bad News for Ghislaine Maxwell
Judge OKs use of word 'victim'; meanwhile, prosecutors say she wasn't offered plea deal
- Ghislaine Maxwell shuffled into a pretrial hearing in Manhattan on Monday, and she had just one thing to say to the court: "I have not committed any crime." Prosecutors, however, had much more to say regarding Jeffrey Epstein's associate, including that she hasn't requested a plea...
R. Kelly Declines
to Testify at Trial
Sep 22, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
R. Kelly Declines to Testify at Trial
Closing arguments begin in sex-trafficking trial
- A prosecutor began closing arguments in the R. Kelly sex trafficking trial Wednesday by telling jurors that the government had delivered on its promises to prove that the R&B singer had for years commanded close associates to help him target, groom and exploit girls, boys, and young women for...
She Escaped Her Pimp, but
Still Had Access to Prostitutes
Aug 15, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
She Escaped Her Pimp, but Still Had Access to Prostitutes
Inside Megan Lundstrom's journey from the streets to academia
- Her pimp "shot seven bullets into my nanny’s car, then called and told me next time it wouldn’t be a car that gets shot." It took Megan Lundstrom a full two years to get out, but she managed to escape him—by aligning with another pimp....
Aug 9, 2021 4:49 PM CDT
Epstein Fund Completes Payments
More than 140 victims received a total of $121M in compensation
- The fund set up by the estate of Jeffrey Epstein to compensate his sexual assault victims has finished its work, after distributing $121 million to more than 140 people. About 225 applications were filed, ABC reports, and 150 people were approved for compensation. "I think the number of certified...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.