Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
What Came Out of
the Biden-Xi Summit
Nov 16, 2023 1:00 AM CST
What Came Out of the Biden-Xi Summit
Modest agreements on fentanyl, military communications were made
- US President Biden and China's Xi Jinping emerged Wednesday from their first face-to-face meeting in a year vowing to stabilize their fraught relationship and showcasing modest agreements to combat illegal fentanyl and re-establish military communications. But there were still deep differences on economic competition and global security threats, the...
China's Xi: 'Planet Earth
Is Big Enough' for Us Both
Nov 15, 2023 3:51 PM CST
China's Xi: 'Planet Earth Is Big Enough' for Us Both
Biden, Chinese leader begin face-to-face summit in San Francisco
- President Biden and China's Xi Jinping have begun their first face-to-face meeting in a year, and their early remarks suggest that both leaders are putting a priority on lowering tensions between the two superpowers.
"Planet Earth is big enough for the two countries to succeed," Xi
Xi Might Need This Summit
More Than Biden
Nov 14, 2023 12:00 PM CST
Xi Might Need This Summit More Than Biden
US, Chinese leaders meet Wednesday in San Francisco
- President Biden meets with China's Xi Jinping Wednesday in San Francisco, and the
New York Times
reports that Beijing appears to have abruptly shifted its public tone about America to be much warmer. The state-run Xinhua news agency ran a long story Monday detailing the "enduring strength" of...
Biden, Xi Jinping Will Meet
Next Week in California
Nov 10, 2023 7:54 AM CST
Biden, Xi Jinping Will Meet Next Week in California
Leaders to meet Wednesday on the sidelines of summit in San Francisco
- President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping will meet Wednesday in California in the first engagement between the leaders of the world's two biggest economies in nearly a year, Biden administration officials said. The White House has said for weeks that it anticipated Biden and Xi would meet on...
China Preps for Assault
With Tips Learned From Russia
Oct 20, 2023 1:21 PM CDT
China Preps for Assault With Tips Learned From Russia
Government looks to limit the effect of potential sanctions as it builds up military capability
- A Pentagon report on China's military power says Beijing is exceeding previous projections of how quickly it is building up its nuclear weapons arsenal and is "almost certainly" learning lessons from Russia's war in Ukraine about what a conflict over Taiwan might look like, per the AP...
Pentagon: Footage Shows
Chinese Jets' Risky Behavior
Oct 18, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Pentagon: Footage Shows Chinese Jets' Risky Behavior
Says more than 180 intercepts of US warplanes by Chinese aircraft happened in last 2 years
- The Pentagon has released footage of some of the more than 180 intercepts of US warplanes by Chinese aircraft that have occurred in the last two years—more than the total amount over the previous decade and part of a trend US military officials called concerning. The photos and video...
Schumer Grateful for
China's New Statement on Israel
Oct 10, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Schumer Grateful for China's New Statement on Israel
US Senate majority leader was previously upset China didn't condemn Hamas attack
- US Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Monday he was grateful for a strengthened statement from China condemning the killing and kidnapping of Israeli and foreign civilians by Hamas, issued during a bipartisan congressional visit to Beijing, the AP reports. Schumer told Foreign Minister Wang Yi earlier in the day...
In Vietnam, Biden Says
He Means No Harm to China
Sep 10, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
In Vietnam, Biden Says He Means No Harm to China
President takes steps to grow closer to another potential counter to Chinese aggression
- President Biden arrived Sunday in Vietnam to seal a "comprehensive strategic partnership," while insisting his attempts to strengthen US relations with China's neighbors are not coming at the expense of Beijing's Communist government. "I don't want to contain China," Biden said during a...
Mom of Navy Sailor
Him to Spy for China
Aug 10, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Mom of Navy Sailor Allegedly Encouraged Him to Spy for China
Prosecutors say she urged son to cooperate when he was approached by CCP
- One of the Navy sailors accused of spying for China was encouraged to do so by his own mother, prosecutors say. The mother of Jinchao Wei, 22, allegedly believed that if her son sold secrets to the Chinese Communist Party he would be rewarded with a position in China's...
Aug 9, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
Biden Limits Tech Investments Supporting China
Administration worked with other nations, industry on executive order
- President Biden signed an executive order Wednesday to block and regulate high-tech US-based investments going toward China—a move the administration said was targeted even though it reflected an intensifying competition between the world's two biggest powers. The order covers advanced computer chips, micro electronics, quantum information technologies, and...
Xi Jinping Snubs Kerry,
Jul 21, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Xi Jinping Snubs Kerry, Welcomes Kissinger
Chinese leader hails 'insightful' American
- Xi Jinping didn't meet John Kerry while the top US climate envoy was in China this week—but he met, and praised, an American who first came to Beijing for talks with Chinese leaders more than 50 years ago. Xi described Henry Kissinger as an "old friend" when...
Amid Strained Relations,
Yellen Visits China
Jul 7, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Amid Strained Relations, Yellen Visits China
Treasury chief addresses concerns that US is looking to decouple from China's economy
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen appealed to China's No. 2 leader not to let frustration over US curbs on access to processor chips and other technology disrupt economic cooperation during a visit Friday aimed at improving strained relations. Meeting with Premier Li Qiang, the AP reports that Yellen said Washington...
US to Travelers:
That Trip to China
Jul 3, 2023 12:58 PM CDT
US to Travelers: Maybe Rethink That Trip to China
Advisory urges Americans, cites risk of wrongful detention
- The US has recommended Americans reconsider traveling to China because of arbitrary law enforcement and exit bans and the risk of wrongful detentions. No specific cases were cited, but the advisory came after a 78-year-old US citizen was sentenced to life in prison on spying charges in May. It also...
China Lashes Out After
Biden Calls Xi the 'D-Word'
Jun 21, 2023 6:35 AM CDT
China Lashes Out After Biden Calls Xi the 'D-Word'
US president calls Chinese leader Xi Jinping a dictator—remarks Beijing deems 'irresponsible'
- Relations between the US and China have been a little rougher than usual since February, when Washington shot down a suspected Chinese spy balloon over South Carolina. US Secretary of State Antony Blinken's visit to China this month, however, ended up in "constructive" talks, and culminated in a...
Xi Sends a Message,
Meets With Blinken
Jun 19, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Xi Sends a Message, Meets With Blinken
US secretary of state greeted by Chinese leader in Beijing, seen as a sign of improving diplomacy
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken has wrapped up his two-day visit to China , one that culminated in a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday. That the meeting took place at all is being seen as perhaps the most significant development of the trip—it was not a sure...
US, China List Differences
in 'Candid,' 'Constructive' Talks
Jun 18, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
US, China List Differences in 'Candid,' 'Constructive' Talks
Taiwan sits atop the list, state media reports
- The top diplomats of the US and China brought their own lists of disagreements and grievances to a meeting Sunday in Beijing , and neither side appears to have let any of them go. Chinese state media reported afterward that Foreign Minister Qin Gang made clear to Secretary of State Antony...
With Tensions High,
Blinken Lands in China
Jun 18, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
With Tensions High, Blinken Lands in China
He is the first US secretary of state in 5 years to make the trip
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Sunday kicked off two days of high-stakes diplomatic talks in Beijing aimed at trying to cool exploding US-China tensions, reports the AP . Blinken opened his program by meeting Chinese Foreign Minister Qin Gang for an extended discussion to be followed by a working dinner....
Close Call With
US Ship, Says
Jun 5, 2023 1:51 AM CDT
China Caused Close Call With US Ship, Says Military
US military releases video of incident in the Taiwan Strait
- The United States military released video Monday of what it called an “unsafe” Chinese maneuver in the Taiwan Strait over the weekend, in which a Chinese navy ship cut sharply across the path of an American destroyer, forcing the US ship to slow to avoid a collision, the AP...
Suspected Chinese Spies
Keep Giving the Same Excuse
May 31, 2023 3:28 PM CDT
Suspected Chinese Spies Keep Giving the Same Excuse
They claim to be lost tourists in emerging trend with cases in Florida and now Alaska
- Chinese citizens claiming to be lost tourists have been caught trying to access military facilities in Alaska in recent years as part of a suspected spy operation that appears to extend well beyond the Last Frontier,
reports. Multiple US soldiers tell the outlet of Chinese attempts to learn...
Chinese Jet Buzzed
US Plane: Pentagon
May 31, 2023 12:27 AM CDT
Chinese Jet Buzzed US Plane: Pentagon
Pentagon calls it an 'unnecessarily aggressive maneuver'
- The Pentagon says a Chinese fighter jet made an "unnecessarily aggressive maneuver" on Friday, buzzing a US spy plane as it conducted routine operations in international airspace over the South China Sea. The Chinese J-16 fighter pilot "flew directly in front of the nose of the RC-135,"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.