Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Details Emerge on
Carlson's NSA Controversy
Jul 8, 2021 11:48 AM CDT
New Details Emerge on Carlson's NSA Controversy
Axios reports his texts may have been 'incidentally collected' by agency
- Last week, Tucker Carson of Fox News caused a stir by accusing the National Security Agency of spying on him and trying to get his show off the air, allegations the NSA denied . Now, a report from Jonathan Swan at Axios appears to shed light on the controversy. It seems...
to Tucker Carlson's
Jun 30, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
NSA Responds to Tucker Carlson's Spying Claims
Fox News host said he'd 'confirmed' that was happening, but agency says nope
- Tucker Carlson is claiming the US government is reading his private emails in an attempt to take his show off the air. "The Biden administration is spying on us," the host of Fox News'
Tucker Carlson Tonight
said on Monday's show. "We have confirmed that."...
Leaker Who Got
Is Released Early
Jun 14, 2021 2:16 PM CDT
Leaker Who Got Record Sentence Is Released Early
Reality Winner moved to halfway house due to good behavior, lawyer says
- Reality Winner, the former intelligence contractor who received the longest-ever sentence for leaking government information to the media, has won early release from prison. Winner was 25 when she was arrested in July 2017 for leaking documents on Russian attempts to hack the 2016 election and has been behind bars...
Michael Flynn Probe
Reveals 'Systematic Abuse'
May 16, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Michael Flynn Probe Reveals 'Systematic Abuse'
Glenn Greenwald becomes an unexpected ally
- Michael Flynn has found himself an unexpected defender. Writing at the Intercept —a distinctly left-of-center news source—Glenn Greenwald argues that the Flynn investigation was fishy to start with and revealed just how biased US security agencies have become. "Flynn is a right-wing, hawkish general whose views on...
CIA/NSA Bickering Nearly
Sank the Deal of the Century
Mar 7, 2020 4:00 PM CST
CIA/NSA Bickering Nearly Sank the Deal of the Century
But the CIA and West German intelligence eventually bought the Swiss firm Crypto AG
- Friction between the CIA and NSA has come up before—think 9/11 intelligence failures—but it turns out their bickering nearly sank a deal that later revolutionized intelligence gathering, the
reports. "There was not a lot of love lost between CIA and NSA over the years,"...
NSA to Microsoft: You
Really Need to Patch This
Jan 14, 2020 4:02 PM CST
NSA to Microsoft: You Really Need to Patch This
And there's news for Windows 7 users
- The National Security Agency has discovered a major security flaw in Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system that could let hackers intercept seemingly secure communications, the AP reports. But rather than exploit the flaw for its own intelligence needs, the NSA tipped off Microsoft so that it can fix the...
Crippling Baltimore Hack
Takes Another Turn
Jun 1, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Crippling Baltimore Hack Takes Another Turn
Lawmaker says NSA hacking tool wasn't used in Baltimore
- The NSA is denying any responsibility—however indirect—for a ransomware attack that has crippled the city of Baltimore, a lawmaker tells the
New York Times
. Rep. C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger, a Maryland Democrat, says NSA leaders told him that agency software wasn't involved in the strike that has...
The Tool Used to Hack
US Cities? Guess
Who Made It
May 25, 2019 12:10 PM CDT
The Tool Used to Hack US Cities? Guess Who Made It
The NSA designed a tool that's now used by America's enemies
- An online hacking tool developed by the NSA is being used to cripple American cities and extort millions of dollars from government coffers, the
New York Times
reports. Called EternalBlue, the tool was stolen in 2016 and dropped online the year after, enabling rogue actors and foreign intelligence agencies to...
GOP Aide Reveals NSA
Phone Program Not Being Used
Mar 5, 2019 10:20 AM CST
GOP Aide Reveals NSA Phone Program Not Being Used
Luke Murry suggests the White House may not renew the controversial program
- Nearly six years ago, Edward Snowden exposed the National Security Agency's covert collection of millions of Americans' phone and text records; the White House defended it as a critical tool in the fight against terrorism. Now, a new White House may be done with the program. The
With Surveillance Limits
Ending, ACLU Sues Everyone
Dec 29, 2018 6:30 PM CST
With Surveillance Limits Ending, ACLU Sues Everyone
Feds aren't revealing anything about surveillance, suit says
- A civil rights group has sued the US government, saying it needs more information about surveillance of Americans' phone and financial records to guide the public debate over what will happen when the law that regulates the scrutiny expires next year, the AP reports. The American Civil Liberties Union sued...
26-Year-Old Gets Longest
Sentence Ever for Media Leak
Aug 23, 2018 11:21 AM CDT
26-Year-Old Gets Longest Sentence Ever for Media Leak
Former NSA contractor Reality Winner sentenced to 5 years, 3 months
- A 26-year-old just made history in a way she likely never anticipated. Georgia native Reality Winner received a sentence of 63 months in prison Thursday after she admitted leaking a government document to the media, reports CNN . Prosecutors say it's the longest sentence ever imposed on a federal defendant...
Reality Winner Makes Plea,
Mother 'Disagrees Strongly'
Jun 22, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
Reality Winner Makes Plea, Mother 'Disagrees Strongly'
But Winner 'will accept the consequences,' mom says
- More than a year after her arrest, Reality Leigh Winner is pleading guilty. The former NSA contractor—who allegedly supplied the media with secret intel on Russians hacking US voting systems—planned to enter her plea agreement Friday in federal court, Engadget reports. "I do know that she has...
Report: Spy Agency
of Phone Records
May 5, 2018 2:44 PM CDT
Report: Spy Agency Triples Collection of Phone Records
NSA collected 534 million records
- The National Security Agency more than tripled the number of phone and text records that it collected of Americans in 2017 over 2016, according to a new government report . The spy agency collected 534 million records from telecommunications providers such as Verizon and AT&T in 2017 as compared with...
Man in Custody After
Shooting at NSA Gates
Feb 14, 2018 7:56 AM CST
Man in Custody After Shooting at NSA Gates
SUV ran into a barrier, but details about what happened are still unclear
- Police responded to a shooting Wednesday outside the National Security Agency campus at Maryland's Fort Meade, where authorities surrounded a handcuffed man after a black SUV ran into a barrier. Fort Meade garrison spokeswoman Cheryl Phillips confirmed to the AP by phone that one person was injured in the...
NSA Contractor Brought
Classified Info Home.
Russians Got It: Report
Oct 5, 2017 1:53 PM CDT
NSA Contractor Brought Classified Info Home. Russians Got It: Report
Sources say data breach compromises US cyber defense
- A National Security Agency contractor who apparently wanted to get a little extra work done from home inadvertently provided highly classified material to the Russian government, the
Wall Street Journal
states in an exclusive report. Unnamed sources say an NSA contractor brought the material home with him in 2015 where...
NSA Pins Unprecedented
Cyberattack on North Korea
Jun 15, 2017 12:23 PM CDT
NSA Pins Unprecedented Cyberattack on North Korea
Agency says WannaCry ransom scheme almost certainly came from Pyongyang
- Remember the massive cyberattack last month in which victims were told to pay a ransom to have their data unlocked? The NSA thinks it was a scheme by North Korea to make money for its government coffers, reports the
. A report not yet made public suggests the perpetrators...
'I'm in Trouble': Alleged Leaker's
Words to Mom in Phone Call
Jun 7, 2017 12:34 PM CDT
'I'm in Trouble': Alleged Leaker's Words to Mom in Phone Call
Reality Winner faces up to 10 years in prison
- It sounds like the two people most surprised by the arrest of 25-year-old Reality Winner as an alleged leaker of classified information are her mother and stepfather. "She would not jeopardize anybody's safety," mom Billie Davis-Winner tells NBC News in Augusta, Ga. "She's not a...
Microsoft: You're Safe
From NSA Malware
Apr 16, 2017 5:57 AM CDT
Microsoft: You're Safe From NSA Malware
Says that up-to-date users are protected from NSA code leaked by hackers
- Up-to-date Microsoft customers are safe from the purported National Security Agency spying tools dumped online, the software company said Saturday, tamping down fears that the digital arsenal was poised to wreak havoc across the internet. In a blog post, Microsoft security manager Phillip Misner said that it had already built...
FBI Has Uncovered
Trump Aides' Russia Ties
Feb 15, 2017 6:28 AM CST
FBI Has Uncovered Trump Aides' Russia Ties
They contacted Russians during campaign, sources say
- The Trump administration's Russia problem just got a lot worse, according to the
New York Times
sources: Four officials say intelligence agencies have uncovered phone records and other evidence that members of Trump's campaign team and other aides were in contact with senior Russian officials during the...
The NSA (Probably)
Has a Base in This
Nov 17, 2016 1:48 PM CST
The NSA (Probably) Has a Base in This Creepy NYC Building
The Intercept reports that the AT&T Building is a key surveillance site
- For decades, the NSA has operated a sophisticated intelligence-gathering operation out of the ominous AT&T Building in Manhattan, the Intercept reports. The windowless building, located at 33 Thomas St. in lower Manhattan, has long attracted attention from New Yorkers curious about its purpose. When the
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.