Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fruits, Veggies: Just
What the Doctor Is Ordering
Sep 4, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
Fruits, Veggies: Just What the Doctor Is Ordering
Study finds that giving patients monthly vouchers for fresh food has an impact
- The old adage is "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." And some modern doctors would very much like to prescribe that apple a day to their patients. As NPR reports, a new study conducted an interesting experiment: giving "produce prescriptions" to patients who struggled with...
The World Is Getting
a New Avocado
Aug 5, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
The World Is Getting a New Avocado
The Luna aims to challenge the dominant Hass, but probably not for a few years
- Look out, Hass, there's a new contender for the guacamole throne. It's the easier-to-harvest Luna, developed, according to Axios , over the course of 50 years at the University of California-Riverside. The university announced the Luna in a release , though it will probably be at least three years before...
Passenger's Rage Over Meal
Leads to Unscheduled Stop
Jul 11, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Passenger's Rage Over Meal Leads to Unscheduled Stop
Business-class customer reportedly wasn't happy with the options available; United flight is diverted
- A United Airlines flight had to divert just two hours into what should have been a 9.5-hour journey Sunday after a business-class passenger became enraged over meal options. According to the
, the passenger, who would've paid around $7,000 for the upgraded seat, caused a fuss after...
Heinz Talks Refrigerating
Ketchup, and a Red Storm Rises
Jul 2, 2023 9:03 PM CDT
Heinz Talks Refrigerating Ketchup, and a Red Storm Rises
Despite legions who say otherwise, the company wants you to refrigerate after opening
- For decades, Americans have been plagued by this burning question: Do you need to refrigerate ketchup or not? In a
food column published in May 1977, columnist Marie Bianco cited Heinz in her answer, writing that the longtime ketchup maker said "you must refrigerate the ketchup unless you...
Gen Z Seems To Be
Into Cottage Cheese
Jul 1, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
Gen Z Seems To Be Into Cottage Cheese
Apparently it's not even an ironic interest, with recipes going viral and sales surging
- For reasons that parents from older generations will likely be unable to comprehend, it appears that Gen Z is down with ... cottage cheese. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that people born between the late '90s and early '00s, as well as older millennials, have been "tossing tubs...
West's 'Lunch of Suffering'
Is Going Viral in China
Jun 17, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
West's 'Lunch of Suffering' Is Going Viral in China
Images of plain, Western-style lunches are popular, either in ridicule or admiration
- A trend has emerged on Chinese social media platforms such as Weibo and Xiaohongshu—users re-creating and reviewing Western-style packed lunches. The
reports these lunches are called "bairen fan," or "white people food." The trend appears to be a way to understand or, often, satirize...
This Cuisine Is
the World's Favorite
Feb 25, 2023 6:30 AM CST
This Cuisine Is the World's Favorite
Korean takes the top spot, with Italian coming in second in Bucket List Company's ranking
- It's the weekend, which means you might consider getting a little more adventurous with your meal choices than workweek PB&Js. With dishes and recipes from all over the globe readily available at local restaurants and on the internet, you likely already have a top choice in mind. Adventure...
Could North Korea
Feb 22, 2023 7:36 AM CST
Could North Korea See Another 'Arduous March'?
Nation is mired in its worst food shortage since its mid-'90s famine
- As North Korea continues to launch ICBMs and lob threats , it's also contending with a familiar problem: a food shortage, though this time experts say it's particularly bad. Per Fox News , South Korea's Unification Ministry says the food situation "seems to have deteriorated" in its northern...
You Won't Believe
How Long Folks Will
Wait for This Delicacy
Nov 24, 2022 9:26 AM CST
You Won't Believe How Long Folks Will Wait for This Delicacy
Place your order now, get the Kobe beef delicacies in 2052
- If you're looking to hold a party in 2052 and would like to serve what the
says are "arguably the most famous croquettes in the world," you'd better order now. That's because there's a 30-year-plus waiting list for the "Extreme" Kobe beef...
Afghans Sell Daughters,
Kidneys to Stave Off Hunger
Nov 24, 2022 6:49 AM CST
Afghans Sell Daughters, Kidneys to Stave Off Hunger
Some parents are drugging their hungry children instead
- It's no wonder Afghanistan is the world's unhappiest country . Afghans struggling to survive amid Taliban rule are selling their daughters and kidneys just to feed their families, and that isn't always enough. Amidst an economic crisis spurred in part by a freeze on foreign funds, one of...
Wimbledon to Players, Coaches:
Don't Buy 27 Yogurts on Us
Jul 5, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
Wimbledon to Players, Coaches: Don't Buy 27 Yogurts on Us
All England Club emails request that everyone be more 'judicious' in how they spend food allowance
- Playing on the professional tennis circuit surely must work up an appetite, and at Wimbledon, the players there are allotted nearly $110 a day for fare to fill their grumbling tummies. Some have apparently been using their food allowance to the max, however, and a warning has now been issued,...
Foodies Go Crazy
for Caviar 'Bumps'
Jun 11, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Foodies Go Crazy for Caviar 'Bumps'
It's the traditional way to sample roe, but with an illicit-sounding name
- You don't need some fancy cheese board or crudite to enjoy a spoonful of caviar, also known as roe from sturgeon fish. As Alyson Krueger writes at the
New York Times
, "caviar bumps"—in which a spoonful of caviar is licked off of one's fist between...
You'll Never Guess Where
the Best Pizza in the US Is
Jul 17, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
You'll Never Guess Where the Best Pizza in the US Is
Cookbook authors have a surprising announcement after visiting 250 pizzerias
- Who’s going to tell New York? The city that everyone knows has the best pizza in the US, possibly the world, has been dethroned. And you’ll never guess where the best pies are. Modernist Cuisine, the labor of love of former Microsoft chief technical officer Nathan Myhrvold and...
She Called Out James Corden,
Is Now Getting Death Threats
in case you missed it
Jul 3, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
She Called Out James Corden, Is Now Getting Death Threats
Petition creator Kim Saira wants an apology for segment she sees as anti-Asian
Late Late Show
host James Corden has vowed to reform his occasional "Spill Your Guts or Fill Your Guts" segment, but that's not enough for critics who call it racist. Some 46,000 people have signed a Change.org petition demanding a public apology, a donation to Asian...
Here Is the (Controversial)
List of Best Cities for BBQ
May 15, 2021 1:29 PM CDT
Here Is the (Controversial) List of Best Cities for BBQ
New Orleans tops the list from Chef's Pencil
- Have a hankering for brisket? Pining for pulled pork? We can't blame you, because May is National Barbecue Month, and the smell of smoky, meaty goodness may already be drifting around your neighborhood. Chef's Pencil wanted to see which states can claim their own mini barbecue crowns, and...
In America's Battle of the
Bagels, a Shocking Admission
Mar 9, 2021 9:45 AM CST
In America's Battle of the Bagels, a Shocking Admission
California bagels are the best, concedes Tejal Rao of the 'NYT'
New York Times
has just published one of its most controversial articles ever, one that identifies the country's best bagels as coming from—gasp!—California. "Sorry, New York," reads a portion of the headline for Monday's article by Tejal Rao, which describes a "...
Utah City Offers People
With Parking Tix a Creative Fix
Feb 22, 2021 12:44 PM CST
Utah City Offers People With Parking Tix a Creative Fix
Utah's Heber City will nix parking tix for violators who donate at least 5 nonperishable food items
- Over the past few weeks, police in Heber City, Utah, have doled out upward of 300 parking tickets to those who've parked in the street, despite a ban on doing so during snowstorms and immediately after. That's when local police decided to squeeze some good out of the...
Nature Is 'Unraveling'
Before Our Eyes
Sep 10, 2020 8:36 AM CDT
Nature Is 'Unraveling' Before Our Eyes
It's time to overhaul our food system: WWF report
- Nature is "unraveling" at a rate not seen for millions of years. That's according to a new report from the World Wildlife Fund, which finds wildlife populations have fallen by an average of 68% since 1970. In Latin America and the Caribbean, populations have fallen by an average...
Purists Are Losing It Over US
Version of Spanish Delicacy
Aug 15, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Purists Are Losing It Over US Version of Spanish Delicacy
It's 'not the same thing at all,' says ham expert in Spain
- Like acorn-fed Iberian ham? Well, now you can try US versions of the Spanish delicacy—a development that culinary purists are none too thrilled about, the
reports. "The real problem is that we are a nation of idiots who have given away our heritage that our governments have...
Raccoon for Thanksgiving?
Not So Weird a Century Ago
Nov 28, 2019 12:26 PM CST
Raccoon for Thanksgiving? Not So Weird a Century Ago
President Calvin Coolidge wasn't a fan, though
- Long before President Trump pardoned his first turkey, another US president saved a racoon intended to become his Thanksgiving dinner. The
has the wild story of how a raccoon sent to President Calvin Coolidge in November 1926 by a Mississippi resident promising a tasty meal became his beloved...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.