Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Another Law Firm Rescinds
Job Offers Over Israel Letters
Oct 18, 2023 1:53 PM CDT
Another Law Firm Rescinds Job Offers Over Israel Letters
Davis Polk slams law students whose groups signed statements condemning Israel
- An elite law firm has withdrawn job offers to three law students from Harvard and Columbia, saying those students were part of groups that signed public statements regarding the Israel-Hamas war. "These statements are simply contrary to our firm's values," so "rescinding these offers was appropriate...
Employers Willing to Pay
Nearly $1M for AI Jobs
Aug 20, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
Employers Willing to Pay Nearly $1M for AI Jobs
Salaries on job advertisements are going through the roof
- Recent reports like this one from Futurism about the AI "bubble" popping notwithstanding, some companies are willing to pay big bucks for a brain that can truly understand the best uses of artificial intelligence. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that major employers are chasing data scientists and experts in...
Have a 'Lazy Girl Job'?
Don't Feel Guilty
Aug 17, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Have a 'Lazy Girl Job'? Don't Feel Guilty
In the 'NYT,' Jessica Grose advocates for 'reasonable boundaries' for workers
- Feel a twinge of guilt on the days you leave work right on time? Don't, says Jessica Grose, who takes a deep dive for the
New York Times
into what it means to be a "good" employee. Grose wants a more "positive spin" on two fairly new...
People Want to Stay With
These Companies in 2023
Aug 6, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
People Want to Stay With These Companies in 2023
Some major businesses tend to retain employees for a decade or more
- There are many elements to what makes up a good workplace—a combination of co-workers, benefits, pay, culture, and policies, just to name a few. Not many employers get it all right, but Resume.io has put together a list of places employees definitely want to stick with in 2023....
Tech-Savvy Job Hunters
Turn to 'White Fonting'
Aug 5, 2023 3:20 PM CDT
Tech-Savvy Job Hunters Turn to 'White Fonting'
But trick to outsmart AI screening for resumes could backfire, warn recruiters
- Some applicants have been using an interesting hack to dupe AI and other tech filters when pursuing new positions. It's called "white fonting," explains the
. The idea is pretty straightforward—job seekers cram keywords from job descriptions onto their resumes, but change the font to...
The #LazyGirlJob Trend
Could Backfire on Gen Z
Jul 29, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
The #LazyGirlJob Trend Could Backfire on Gen Z
Flexible, remote jobs are likely to be among the first cut, writes Megan McArdle
- The idea behind the viral TikTok trend #lazygirljob, touted by influencer Gabrielle Judge and others, is to find a low-stress, extremely flexible, remote job that pays the bills while allowing for a decent work-life balance. The trend isn't specific to women. It's "the latest iteration of 20-...
Economist: The 'Great
Resignation' Is Over
Jun 1, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Economist: The 'Great Resignation' Is Over
New trend finds that workers are staying put amid a cooling labor market, losing some of their leverage
- The "great resignation" has ended, and with it some of the power that workers have lately leveraged over employers. The share of monthly job departures relative to total employment fell to 2.4% in April from 2.5% in March, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Wednesday. That's...
Means This Group
Is in Demand for
May 27, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Labor Shortage Means This Group Is in Demand for Summer Jobs
Teens are in the driver's seat, with the ability to hold out for jobs with higher wages
- Teens have long been vital to filling out the summertime staffs of restaurants, ice cream stands, amusement parks, and camps. Now, thanks to one of the tightest labor markets in decades, they have even more sway, with an array of jobs to choose from at ever higher wages, per the...
Here Are the
10 Best, Worst
US Cities to
Start a Career
May 16, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Start a Career
Atlanta takes the top spot on WalletHub's list, while the Big Apple comes in last
- Not sure where to kick off that career you've dreamed about for years? Whether you're a new grad or kick-starting a second job path for yourself, some cities have better resources than others for making such moves. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the nation's largest...
Check Out These Jobs
May 14, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
Just Graduated? Check Out These Jobs
Various engineering fields look promising for entry-level opportunities, per WalletHub's latest data
- The graduation caps are flying skyward this month, which means there's a whole new population of job hunters about to scour the "help wanted" ads. Whether you're hitting the pavement yourself or still in college and trying to plan for a future career, WalletHub wants to help...
US Has Fewer Job
Openings Than Expected
May 2, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
US Has Fewer Job Openings Than Expected
Employers post 9.6M vacancies in March, lowest figure since 2021
- US job openings fell in March to the lowest level in nearly two years, a sign that the American labor market is cooling in the face of higher interest rates, per the AP . Employers posted 9.6 million vacancies in March, down from nearly 10 million in February, and layoffs...
New Labor Law
in This State
Lets Kids Work
Apr 19, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
New Labor Law in This State Lets Kids Work Longer Hours
Iowa GOP pushes through child labor legislation that even lets minors serve booze in some cases
- Every Democrat in Iowa's Senate, as well as two Republicans, voted nay on a controversial bill early Tuesday that would allow teens to work longer hours in currently banned jobs, including in roles that serve booze. But the rest of the body's GOP pushed the legislation through by...
NYC Mayor: 'The Rats
Are Going to Hate Kathy'
Apr 13, 2023 3:10 PM CDT
NYC Mayor: 'The Rats Are Going to Hate Kathy'
Kathleen Corradi promises 'no more dirty curbs'
- New York City officially has a rat czar. Kathleen Corradi was named Wednesday as the city's first-ever director of rodent mitigation—a well-paying gig. Corradi, who previously served as the Queens director of space planning in the city's education department, will earn $155,000 per year, Mayor Eric...
Zuckerberg on Latest Big Job
Cuts: 'This Will Be Tough'
Mar 14, 2023 8:57 AM CDT
Zuckerberg on Latest Big Job Cuts: 'This Will Be Tough'
Facebook parent Meta to slash 10K jobs in recruiting, tech, business through May
- Facebook parent Meta is slashing another 10,000 jobs and will not fill 5,000 open positions as the social media pioneer cuts costs. The company said Tuesday it will reduce the size of its recruiting team and make further cuts in its tech groups in late April, and then...
New Jobs Numbers
May Keep Pressure on Fed
Mar 10, 2023 7:49 AM CST
New Jobs Numbers May Keep Pressure on Fed
Employers hired 311K in February, more than expected
- America’s employers added a substantial 311,000 jobs in February, fewer than January’s huge gain but enough to keep pressure on the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates aggressively to fight inflation, per the AP . The number was above expectations of 208,000.
The unemployment rate rose
by 'Art World
Family' Is Just
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 4, 2023 6:00 AM CST
Job Posting by 'Art World Family' Is Just Eye-Popping
Art blogger calls it 'the most nightmarish job listing I've ever seen'
- What may be the "worst art job listing ever created" has since been deleted, but freelance art writer Emily Colucci has saved it for all of us to marvel at. Writing about her recent find on her Filthy Minds blog , Colucci notes she stumbled upon the posting for an...
For First Time, More People
Work in Florida Than New York
Feb 6, 2023 9:25 AM CST
For First Time, More People Work in Florida Than New York
Labor stats mark a milestone
- A slow-moving trend has become a milestone: Florida has more jobs than New York for the first time, reports Bloomberg . The Bureau of Labor Statistics says Florida had 9,578,500 nonfarm jobs at the end of last year, ahead of New York's 9,576,100. It's the...
Dog Walkers Probably
Make More Than You Think
Jan 28, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Dog Walkers Probably Make More Than You Think
In New York City, established ones pull in 6 figures
- The most lucrative side hustle in the nation is dog walking, according to the online tutoring service Preply . It pegs the average hourly wage for the task at $43, ahead of freelance design ($32) and freelance writing ($29). If that rate sounds high, a story in the
New York Times
Looking for a Paycheck?
These US Cities Have Jobs
Jan 6, 2023 10:42 AM CST
Looking for a Paycheck? These US Cities Have Jobs
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Memphis is at the bottom
- The nation's unemployment report released Friday indicates a still-strong labor market, with 223,000 jobs added in December—above the 200,000 jobs that were expected. And with the new year upon us, many are dusting off their resumes and applying, either to break back into the job market...
Latest Jobs Report
Pleases the Markets
Jan 6, 2023 8:07 AM CST
Latest Jobs Report Pleases the Markets
Hiring is above expectations, but wage growth is lower, causing Dow futures to jump
- Hiring cooled off a bit in December from the previous month, though the numbers reflect a still-strong labor market. Another part of Friday's unemployment report—on wage gains—has the stock market in a pretty good mood:
Employers added 223,000 jobs in December, slightly above expectations of
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.