Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal
Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
Nov 30, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
EPA wants utilities to replace them all in 10 years, but there's a 'loophole' over private property
- The Biden administration proposed a historic and ambitious rule on Thursday that would require water systems across the US to replace virtually all their lead pipes in 10 years, reports Reuters . The idea behind the EPA proposal is to avoid any repeats of the public health disaster that unfolded in...
If You Had This Fruit Puree
Pouch, Get a Blood Test
Oct 31, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
If You Had This Fruit Puree Pouch, Get a Blood Test
FDA says some WanaBana products have 'extremely high concentrations of lead'
- WanaBana fruit puree pouches might sound like a healthy option for parents to give their kids, but the FDA is warning that anyone who consumed one should get their blood tested for what appears to be "extremely high concentrations of lead." As the
New York Times
Legacy of Old Lead Cables
Is Big New Headache for AT&T
Jul 18, 2023 9:59 AM CDT
Legacy of Old Lead Cables Is Big New Headache for AT&T
Shares plunging after a 'Wall Street Journal' investigation into the dangers
- One of the big business stories percolating over the last week involves plunging share prices at telecom companies in general and AT&T in particular. On Monday, for example, AT&T's stock fell another 7% to reach a 30-year low, reports Reuters . The culprit: A damning investigation by the...
HGTV Star: Old Show
May Have Poisoned Me
Dec 24, 2022 1:35 PM CST
HGTV Star: Old Show May Have Poisoned Me
Former 'Flip or Flop' host Christina Hall says she has mercury and lead poisoning
- Christina Hall made her name on the HGTV home-renovation series
Flip or Flop
. But the 39-year-old now says all those renovations may have damaged her health. "My scan said I have mercury and lead poisoning," Hall wrote on her Instagram Story, per Yahoo Entertainment . "Most likely from...
That Cute Minnie Outfit
You Bought May Be
Chock-Full of Lead
Dec 3, 2022 9:30 AM CST
That Cute Minnie Outfit You Bought May Be Chock-Full of Lead
Bentex recalls 87K Disney-themed clothing sets sold on Amazon, in TJ Maxx
- A manufacturer of children's apparel has issued a recall of 87,000 Disney-themed outfits due to a risk of lead poisoning. The clothing sets made by Bentex—which feature characters such as Minnie Mouse, Baby Yoda, and Winnie the Pooh—were sold on Amazon and at TJ Maxx and...
Recall: 10K Sippy Cups
Apparently Contain Lead
Nov 29, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Recall: 10K Sippy Cups Apparently Contain Lead
Green Sprouts says in the future, lead will not be used as a soldering material
- About 10,500 toddler sippy cups have been recalled due to a risk of lead poisoning. Green Sprouts says its 6-ounce Stainless Steel Sippy Cup, Sip & Straw Cup, and 8-ounce Stainless Steel Straw Bottle are affected by the recall, NPR reports. The bottom of the base can break off...
Tried to Kill Me
Sep 6, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Divorce Filing: My Husband Tried to Kill Me
Brian Mann charged with attempted murder via lead poisoning in Alabama
- An Alabama woman who filed for divorce from her husband of five years allegedly had very good reason: She says he tried to kill her by giving her capsules that he claimed were vitamins but turned out to contain lead. The woman identified as Hannah spent more than six weeks...
If Landlords and Insurers Aren't
Liable for Lead Paint, Who Is?
Apr 16, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
If Landlords and Insurers Aren't Liable for Lead Paint, Who Is?
Victims are left with little recourse these days
- A Virginia real estate developer was on a Caribbean vacation when he learned a tenant had won a $2 million judgement against him over lead paint poisoning. “Bummer,” the man thought, recounts Ellen Gabler for the
New York Times ,
"How am I going to get out of...
'Sort of Stunning'
Stat Is Bad News
for Bald Eagles
Feb 17, 2022 2:46 PM CST
'Sort of Stunning' Stat Is Bad News for Bald Eagles
About half suffer from lead poisoning, according to a new study
- A new study in
has a stat that doesn't bode well for bald eagles—and is even worse for golden eagles: "Almost half of all animals sampled had chronic, toxic levels of lead." Researchers tested more than 1,200 live and dead eagles from across the...
Response to Lead Crisis
Oct 14, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Michigan Governor Orders Sweeping Response to Lead Crisis
After criticism, Whitmer says Benton Harbor's pipes will be replaced in 18 months
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Thursday ordered a "whole-of-government" response to elevated levels of lead in Benton Harbor's water and vowed to accelerate the replacement of the southwestern Michigan community's lead pipes. Her directive that state agencies ensure residents have safe tap water came about a week...
Deal to Replace
100% of Lead Pipes
Jun 28, 2021 7:06 PM CDT
White House: Deal to Replace 100% of Lead Pipes
Infrastructure agreement includes $55B for water projects
- The version of President Biden's infrastructure spending plan that Republicans and Democrats agreed to last week includes replacing every lead pipe in the nation. A White House memo said the legislation "will replace 100% of the nation's lead pipes and service lines," and White House press...
Killing Bald Eagles
Feb 17, 2020 9:06 AM CST
Hunters Are Unintentionally Killing Bald Eagles
It's because of the lead bullets they use
- America's bald eagles aren't being shot, but bullets are killing them. It's an unintentional side effect of hunters going after deer and other animals with lead bullets, striking the creature, but then losing sight of it as it runs away. Bald eagles who consume the carcass end...
He Survived a Mass Shooting.
Now He's Being Poisoned
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 9, 2019 7:31 AM CDT
He Survived a Mass Shooting. Now He's Being Poisoned
Bullet fragments can wreak havoc
- Colin Goddard was shot multiple times during the Virginia Tech massacre , but doctors assured him he would eventually be "fine." Twelve years later, the now-33-year-old has discovered that's far from the case, and the reason is an unexpected one: The dozens of bullet fragments left in his...
Boy Scouts Neckerchief
Sep 28, 2018 10:37 AM CDT
Boy Scouts Neckerchief Sliders Recalled
About 110,000, due to lead content
- Part of the Boy Scout oath is to keep oneself physically strong, meaning Scouts should heed uniform-related news out of the Consumer Product Safety Commission: Fox News reports about 110,000 brass neckerchief sliders have been recalled due to lead content. "The colored enamel on the neckerchief slides contains...
Perished, but Not
Because of Lead
Aug 28, 2018 11:11 AM CDT
Entire Arctic Expedition Perished, but Not Because of Lead
Study looks at fate of crew aboard HMS Erebus and HMS Terror
- In 1845, Sir John Franklin set sail from England in the hopes of discovering and successfully navigating the Northwest Passage. Instead, all 128 crew members aboard the
ended up dead. Nearly all of them actually survived until April 1848, when they fled ships that had...
Sandwich Killer? Man May Have
Poisoned Up to 21 Co-Workers
Jun 28, 2018 6:05 PM CDT
Sandwich Killer? Man May Have Poisoned Up to 21 Co-Workers
German man allegedly caught sprinkling toxic substance onto a co-worker’s lunch
- Police have arrested a man suspected of killing as many as 21 engineering workers over two decades at a valve manufacturing company in western Germany, reports CNN . The 56-year-old metal-fittings worker, identified only as Klaus O, was caught on surveillance video sprinkling a powdery substance onto a co-worker’s sandwich...
US Deaths Tied
to 'Ubiquitous but
410K a Year
Mar 13, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
US Deaths Tied to 'Ubiquitous but Insidious' Lead: 410K a Year
About 10 times higher than what researchers previously thought
- A study on "ubiquitous but insidious" lead exposure is being deemed a "big deal" after researchers found a link between lead exposure and the deaths of around a quarter-million Americans annually from heart disease. In what
says is the first study using a nationally representative sample...
There's a Hidden Hazard
in the Air at Gun Ranges
May 13, 2017 12:55 PM CDT
There's a Hidden Hazard in the Air at Gun Ranges
After reports of poisonings, DoD tightens safety standard for lead in blood
- Visiting a shooting range is not without risk, and we aren't talking about deadly accidents . Lead dust discharged by firearms is the leading cause of lead poisoning outside the workplace, the
reported in a lengthy 2014 investigation. Each time a gun filled with lead-based ammunition is fired,...
CDC Mulling Lower Threshold
for Kid Lead Levels: Sources
Dec 30, 2016 1:29 PM CST
CDC Mulling Lower Threshold for Kid Lead Levels: Sources
But move is controversial, with critics saying money would be diverted from those who need it most
- For the past four years, kids under the age of 6 who had a 5-micrograms-per-deciliter blood lead level warranted a public health response. Now a handful of sources who've received word from the CDC say the agency may lower that level another 30%—down to 3.5 micrograms per...
Up in Flint
Feb 5, 2016 10:59 AM CST
Lead Toxicity Showing Up in Flint Area's Dogs
Animal experts warn that pets near Flint should be drinking filtered or bottled water
- First it was the kids of Flint found to have been tainted by lead, attributed by many to the area's toxic water. Now two dogs who live in the vicinity of the Michigan city have tested positive for lead toxicity—the first two pups to be confirmed with this...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.