Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Another Scourge in
Our Seas: Blast Fishing
Sep 24, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Another Scourge in Our Seas: Blast Fishing
The practice of dropping explosives to kill fish quickly is prevalent globally, despite being illegal
- Despite being illegal virtually everywhere, blast fishing has continued to harm local fishing industries and marine ecosystems across the globe. The
details how the practice—which uses explosives like dynamite to kill a mass number of fish for quick returns—is "thriving" in Sri Lanka while simultaneously wreaking...
That Was No Bass a Boy
Caught in an Oklahoma Pond
in case you missed it
Jul 23, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
That Was No Bass a Boy Caught in an Oklahoma Pond
11-year-old tries to catch invasive pacu, a piranha cousin, again after releasing it
- "We're used to just catching a few bass or catfish" in the pond behind her family's house, Janna Clinton said. "I mean, nothing with human-like teeth." But her son Charlie's screaming when fishing over the weekend indicated that something was up, though she thought...
They Thought They'd
Won $3.5M Prize. Then
Judges Spotted the Bite
Jun 19, 2023 3:29 PM CDT
They Thought They'd Won $3.5M Prize. Then Judges Spotted the Bite
Massive 619.4-lb. marlin was disqualified at NC tournament
- For the crew of the Sensation, it will be remembered as the prize that got away. They spent six hours reeling in a massive blue marlin at the 65th Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament and were poised to win a $3.5 million prize until judges noticed a problem with...
Fishermen in Cheating
Scandal Get Jail Time
May 12, 2023 1:06 AM CDT
Fishermen in Cheating Scandal Get Jail Time
10 days, plus probation and fines
- The two men who pleaded guilty to cheating at an Ohio fishing tournament last year were sentenced Thursday to 10 days behind bars, WBAY reports. Jacob Runyan, 43, and Chase Cominsky, 36, also received a year and a half each of probation,
reports, and they will each pay...
Do a 180
Mar 29, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Fishermen in Cheating Scandal Do a 180
They switched their pleas to guilty
- The fishermen accused of cheating during an Ohio tournament in September of last year have accepted a plea deal. Jacob Runyan and Chase Cominsky will have to give up their fishing licenses for three years,
Field and Stream
reports. Cominsky must also forfeit a bass boat worth $100,000 as...
Study May Turn You Off Fish
Caught in US Lakes, Rivers
Jan 18, 2023 12:49 PM CST
Study May Turn You Off Fish Caught in US Lakes, Rivers
Eating one freshwater fish is like drinking contaminated water for a month, study says
- Scientists seeking to limit human exposure to "forever chemicals"—which don't break down easily in the environment—have found alarming levels of contamination in fish caught in America's lakes and rivers. According to a study published in the journal
eating a single freshwater fish...
Nov 22, 2022 12:15 PM CST
The Queen of Goldfish Is Caught
Andy Hackett brings 67-pound Carrot to the surface in France
- If you were wowed by headlines about a 9-pound goldfish caught in South Carolina, you'll be stunned by what's come out of a lake in France. Andy Hackett was on a fishing trip with friends when he pulled up a massive goldfish weighing 67 pounds, or as much...
That Colorful Aquarium Masks
a Sometimes Dark Trade
Oct 23, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
That Colorful Aquarium Masks a Sometimes Dark Trade
Experts say demand for fish is contributing to degradation of delicate coral ecosystems
- Millions of saltwater fish of all shades and shapes are caught in Indonesia and other countries every year to fill ever more elaborate aquariums in living rooms, waiting rooms, and restaurants around the world. "It's just so much fun to just watch the antics between different varieties of...
2 Fishermen Charged in
'Disgusting' Cheating Scandal
Oct 13, 2022 7:46 AM CDT
2 Fishermen Charged in 'Disgusting' Cheating Scandal
They allegedly stuffed walleye with lead weights, fish fillets at Ohio tournament
- In video from a Sept. 30 fishing tournament in Ohio, members of an angry crowd, some of them using NSFW language, shouted "Call the cops" and "You should go to jail" after apparent cheating was uncovered. Police were indeed called—and the alleged cheaters might go to jail....
Suspiciously Heavy Fish
Lead to Chaos at Tournament
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 8, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Team disqualified in Ohio after their walleyes were found stuffed with weights, fillets
- First the chess world was rocked by cheating allegations . Now, it's joined by the competitive fishing world. Video started making the rounds over the weekend promoting a "serious controversy" out of Ohio, in which a two-man team is now accused of stuffing their entries in a local tournament...
Dad Was Intoxicated When
He and His Kids Drowned
Sep 8, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Dad Was Intoxicated When He and His Kids Drowned
Kyle Moorman and his 3 children set out to go night fishing
The Indiana father and his three children who were found dead in a submerged car in an Indianapolis pond in July died accidentally. The deaths of Kyle Moorman, 27, and his children—1-year-old Kyran Holland, 2-year-old Kyannah Holland, and 5-year-old Kyle Moorman II—were the result of accidental freshwater...
Sailfish Sends Woman
to the Hospital in Florida
Jul 24, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
Sailfish Sends Woman to the Hospital in Florida
70-year-old is stabbed by the bill of the fish as it was being reeled in
- A 70-year-old woman was stabbed by the bill of a 100-pound sailfish that leapt out of the water as her companions were trying to reel it in on a boat near the Florida coast, authorities said. The sailfish stabbed the woman from Arnold, Maryland, in the groin area with its...
Massive Dump of Dead Fish
Feb 6, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Massive Dump of Dead Fish Prompts Investigation
More than 100K came from huge fishing trawler off the coast of France
- From the air, it looks for all the world like an ordinary streak of sea foam, notes France24 . It's only up close that it becomes clear the streak of white is actually a massive blob of dead fish—an estimated 100,000 or more of them off the coast...
Lawsuit: Red Lobster
Made 'Deceptive' Claims
About Its Lobsters
Jun 16, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Red Lobster Made 'Deceptive' Claims About Its Lobsters
Some of its seafood isn't sustainable or responsible, suit argues
- Red Lobster has been making some fishy claims about its product, according to a class- action lawsuit filed in California. According to court documents, the plaintiffs say the chain markets its lobster and shrimp as "sustainable" and "responsible" when the truth is very different, IntraFish reports. The lawsuit,...
Wildlife Official Reels In
7-Foot Fish in Detroit
May 1, 2021 10:26 AM CDT
Wildlife Official Reels In 7-Foot Fish in Detroit
240-pound sturgeon, which was released, could be 100 years old
- It's quite a fish tale. A 240-pound sturgeon that could be more than 100 years old was caught last week in the Detroit River by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The "real life river monster" was nearly 7 feet long, the agency said Friday on Facebook , where...
Their 'Fish Story' Ended
With Felony Convictions
Sep 24, 2020 9:02 AM CDT
Their 'Fish Story' Ended With Felony Convictions
2 pleaded guilty to tampering to influence a fishing contest
- There's a reason a "fish story" has become synonymous with the unbelievable. Two fisherman have pleaded guilty to felony charges for lying about some impressive fish entered in a Utah fishing tournament. Robert Dennett, 45, and Kamron Wootton, 35, are the first people in the state's history...
'Dark Fishing Fleets' Blamed
for Rise in Ghost Ships
Jul 23, 2020 2:09 PM CDT
'Dark Fishing Fleets' Blamed for Rise in Ghost Ships
Chinese vessels are forcing North Koreans to fish elsewhere, researchers say
- "Ghost ships" carrying the bodies—or skeletons—of North Korean fishermen have been washing up in Japan for years, but there was a massive increase after 2017. A new study links the rise to "dark fishing fleets" of Chinese vessels in North Korean waters in violation of United...
Sheriff: 3 Men
Going Fishing Killed
in 'Horrific Scene'
Jul 19, 2020 9:08 AM CDT
Sheriff: 3 Men Going Fishing Killed in 'Horrific Scene'
Friends were going night fishing in remote Florida area when they were beaten and shot to death
- Three friends on their way to go fishing were beaten and shot to death in a grisly scene in the backwoods of Florida that the Polk County sheriff is calling a "massacre." “This is a horrific scene," Grady Judd tells the Lakeland
Jun 27, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Swimmer Seen Prying Open Shark's Mouth
'It was so crazy, like a movie. Like Jaws.'
- A swimmer in Delaware was caught on camera prying a shark's mouth open with his hands this weekend in an effort to free it from a fishing hook, the AP reports. The video shows the man grabbing onto the shark at a beach in Cape Henlopen State Park. He...
5 Missing After Crab Boat
Sinks in Gulf of Alaska
Jan 2, 2020 4:27 AM CST
5 Missing After Crab Boat Sinks in Gulf of Alaska
There was a 'careful consideration of survival probability'
- After an effort that spanned 1,400 square miles over 20 hours, the Coast Guard has suspended its search for survivors from a crabbing boat that sank in gale-force winds in the Gulf of Alaska on New Year's Eve. The Coast Guard says two "extremely hypothermic" members of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.