Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Illinois Has a New Name for
'Delicious' Invasive Species
in case you missed it
Aug 14, 2022 7:10 AM CDT
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
They hope people will eat more Asian carp if it's known as 'copi'
- There's a long history of fish being renamed to widen their appeal to consumers—orange roughy was once known as slimehead, and the many names of the monkfish have included goosefish, sea-devil, and frog-fish. Now, it's the Asian carp's turn. Illinois has rebranded the fish as "...
Army Is Creating
a 'Zone of Chaos'
for Invasive Carp
Jan 31, 2022 2:15 PM CST
Army Is Creating a 'Zone of Chaos' for Invasive Carp
They hope acoustic, bubble, and electric barriers will keep them out of Lake Michigan
- The US Army Corps of Engineers wants to send a message to invasive carp trying to enter the Great Lakes through Chicago-area waterways: Welcome to Hell. The Biden administration has released funding for a project that will create a "zone of chaos" for the unwanted fish, Cleveland.com reports....
Winner Crowned in Contest
to Prevent Carp Invasion
Mar 27, 2018 7:04 PM CDT
Winner Crowned in Contest to Prevent Carp Invasion
Michigan awards software consultant $200K
- A proposal to repel Asian carp with stinging, noisy bubbles won first prize Tuesday in a contest sponsored by the state of Michigan to find new ideas for keeping the invasive fish out of the Great Lakes, the AP reports. Edem Tsikata, a software consultant in Boston, was awarded $200,...
Faced With an Invader,
Michigan Gets Creative
Mar 5, 2017 12:44 PM CST
Faced With an Invader, Michigan Gets Creative
State turns to public to help block Asian carp
- Faced with the threat that Asian carp could enter the Great Lakes, Michigan is turning to the public for new ideas and plans to offer a prize to whoever comes up with a way to stop the voracious fish, reports the AP . Michigan alone has a $38 billion tourism industry,...
The Great Lakes Are Under
Invasion by Grass Carp
Jan 28, 2017 11:25 AM CST
The Great Lakes Are Under Invasion by Grass Carp
But there's still time to prevent an ecological disaster
- Invasive grass carp have reached three of the Great Lakes and pose a significant environmental risk there, but time remains to prevent them from getting out of hand, according to a scientific analysis released Friday. The voracious grass carp is among four Asian carp species threatening to reach the world'...
Need an Extra
Jan 20, 2017 1:20 PM CST
Need an Extra $1M? Just Solve This Fishy Dilemma
The Great Lakes simply needs you to solve its invasive Asian carp problem, NBD
- Everyone with a constant flow of "new and innovative solutions" churning around in their noggins might want to touch base with Michigan. The state is offering a $1 million purse to anyone who can come up with a way to keep interloping Asian carp out of the Great Lakes,...
Gets a New
Jul 29, 2016 8:31 AM CDT
Once-Reviled 'Freak' Fish Gets a New Mission
Alligator gar being restocked to go after Asian carp
- It's a toothy giant that can grow longer than a horse and heavier than a refrigerator, a fearsome-looking prehistoric fish that plied US waters from the Gulf of Mexico to Illinois until it disappeared from many states a half-century ago. Persecuted by anglers and deprived of places to spawn,...
Asian Carp Could
Take 25 Years
Jan 8, 2014 12:05 AM CST
Army: Stopping Asian Carp Could Take 25 Years
Great Lakes solution will cost up to $18B
- The fight to keep Asian carp from colonizing the Great Lakes could take longer than any war America has ever fought, the Army Corps of Engineers warns in a report commissioned by Congress. The report offered eight strategies to keep the invasive species from overwhelming the ecosystem and ruining a...
30-Pound Carp Beans
Aug 27, 2010 8:28 AM CDT
30-Pound Carp Beans Racing Kayaker
Flying fish forces racer out of river competition
- Kayaker Brad Pennington was among the favorites to win the Missouri River 340 canoe and kayak race before a fish intervened. A 30-pound Asian silver carp jumped out of the water and hit him "like a brick," forcing him to withdraw from the endurance race with a pounding...
Asian Carp: If You
Can't Beat 'Em, Eat 'Em
Jan 19, 2010 12:04 PM CST
Asian Carp: If You Can't Beat 'Em, Eat 'Em
Louisiana chefs and gov't hatch plan to market invasive fish
- If the idea of biting into Asian carp, the invasive species wreaking havoc from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi Delta, sounds unappetizing, one Louisiana chef would like to sell you on delicious “silverfin.” For those not in the know, that’s Asian carp. The rebranding is part...
Crazy Carp Spark
Great Lakes Brouhaha
Dec 27, 2009 1:47 PM CST
Crazy Carp Spark Great Lakes Brouhaha
Mich. sues Ill. in latest move to block voracious fish
- Michigan sued neighboring Illinois last week
a most un-neighborly move aimed at blocking the invasive Asian carp from the Great Lakes—and re-reversing the flow of the Chicago River. The case is likely to end up in the Supreme Court, notes the
, and resurrects another from 1922 over...
$3M Ill. Fish Kill Yields 1 Carp
Dec 4, 2009 2:00 PM CST
$3M Ill. Fish Kill Yields 1 Carp
Scientists pleased with effort to combat invasive species
- The 3-day, $3 million attempt to purge a canal leading to Lake Michigan of invasive Asian carp has so far yielded just a single dead specimen. Biologists are still sifting through the tens of thousands of other fish poisoned in the purge, the largest deliberate fish kill in Illinois history....
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.