Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Major League Baseball
Stories 1 - 20 |
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch
of Players' Family Members
Jan 16, 2023 8:41 AM CST
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch of Players' Family Members
Among them: Padres sign Ethan Salas, younger bro of top Marlins prospect Jose Salas, for $5.6M
- The San Diego Padres signed 16-year-old catcher Ethan Salas of Caracas, Venezuela, to a $5.6 million bonus on Sunday, the first day of the international signing period. Salas is the consensus top overall prospect in this year's class. The left-handed hitter is the younger brother of Jose Salas,...
Days After Giants
Dec 25, 2022 10:32 AM CST
Days After Giants Ditch Superstar's Deal, Another Team Balks
Now the Mets are hesitating at signing Carlos Correa, apparently over his ankle
- The New York Mets and the agent for baseball star Carlos Correa are having discussions over the infielder’s physical—days after similar concerns from the San Francisco Giants led to the surprise collapse of their agreement with the shortstop, per the AP . The Mets have not yet finalized a...
Dec 23, 2022 1:00 AM CST
Trevor Bauer's 324-Game Suspension Reduced
Dodgers pitcher will be reinstated immediately, MLB says
- Trevor Bauer can return to Major League Baseball after an independent arbitrator on Thursday reduced his record 324-game suspension to 194 games. Bauer, the LA Dodgers pitcher who was accused of sexual assault last year, had appealed his suspension, which caused him to miss the entire 2022 season, or 144...
Houston Astros Win First
World Series Since
Nov 5, 2022 10:48 PM CDT
Houston Astros Win First World Series Since Cheating Scandal
They beat the Philadelphia Phillies 4-1 in game 6
- Yordan Alvarez hit a towering go-ahead homer and the Houston Astros clinched their second World Series title in six seasons, snagging Dusty Baker his first crown as a manager with a 4-1 win over the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 6 on Saturday night, the AP reports. As Alvarez's 450-foot...
If the Astros Win It All, He'll
Win a Staggering Amount
Nov 2, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
If the Astros Win It All, He'll Win a Staggering Amount
Jim McIngvale could walk away with the largest payout on a single legal sports bet
- The Phillies are up 2-1 in the World Series, and there's probably one American who's hoping more than most that the tides change: a prolific Texas gambler with a knack for attention-getting bets, who stands to win nearly $75 million if the Houston Astros win the World Series....
Baker: One Thing About
World Series 'Looks Bad'
Oct 27, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Baker: One Thing About World Series 'Looks Bad'
Neither team expects to have a US-born Black player on its roster
- In 1947, Jackie Robinson became the first Black baseball player to compete in a World Series. Every World Series since then except the one in 1950 has included at least one US-born Black player. That streak is about to end, CBS Sports reports. The Houston Astros have Jose Altuve, who'...
We Have a New
World Series Matchup
Oct 24, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
We Have a New World Series Matchup
Houston and Philly will meet in baseball's big game
- Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber breaking the Bank in Philly. Yordan Alvarez launching moonshots in H-Town. Dusty Baker trying for a most elusive win. Justin Verlander, too. A fired-up Harper and All-Stars JT Realmuto and Zack Wheeler, stepping onto baseball's biggest platform for the first time. Yo! The Philadelphia...
'Bizarre' Moment in
MLB Playoff Game
Leads to Cries of 'Cheater!'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 15, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
'Bizarre' Moment in MLB Playoff Game Leads to Cries of 'Cheater!'
San Diego Padres pitcher gets his ears checked at Mets manager's request
- With a magnificent performance on a memorable night in Padres history, Joe Musgrove brought this one home for San Diego and really stuck it to the New York Mets. The big right-hander brushed off chants of “Cheater!” after a bizarre spot check by umpires on the mound, pitching...
Fan Who Caught Judge's
HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Oct 6, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fan Who Caught Judge's HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Calif. auction house owner says he's willing to pay Cory Youmans $2M for the record-setting ball
- The fan who caught the ball from Aaron Judge's 62nd home run of the season—a slam that propelled the 30-year-old slugger for the New York Yankees into the record books, breaking Roger Maris' number for most home runs in a season for the American League—has a big...
MLB Accepts Union
in Minor Leagues
Sep 9, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
MLB Accepts Union in Minor Leagues
Agreement would mean a strike could take place before next season opens
: Major League Baseball has agreed to recognize a minor league union, after being informed that more than 5,000 players under minor league contracts had signed authorization cards. MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred said the two sides are working on an agreement. Talks have not been going well, the AP...
by This Run
Sep 6, 2022 2:37 PM CDT
Baseball Is Captivated by This Run
Aaron Judge of the Yankees has 54 home runs and counting, on track for a coveted record
- Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees hit his 54th home run of the season Monday night, and the
New York Times
explains the context: Judge is now on track to surpass the coveted American League record of 61 homers set by the legendary Roger Maris in 1961. It's...
Mistrial in Case of
Abusing Boy, 4
Sep 5, 2022 1:02 AM CDT
Mistrial in Case of Ex-MLB Pitcher Accused of Abusing Boy, 4
Jury deadlocks in John Wetteland trial
The jury in the child sex assault trial of former All-Star and World Series MVP pitcher John Wetteland deadlocked, leading the judge to declare a mistrial Friday. "We will move forward, whether this means it is resolved through negotiations or trial again is up to him," a...
MLB Player Who Dropped
Phone Faces Fine, Suspension
Aug 16, 2022 7:19 PM CDT
MLB Player Who Dropped Phone Faces Fine, Suspension
Pittsburgh Pirates' Rodolfo Castro is appealing the decision
: Pittsburgh Pirates second baseman Rodolfo Castro has been hit with a one-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for having a iPhone in his pocket during a game last week, a violation of the league's strict ban on electronic devices on the field. The suspension would have kept him...
Key to Every MLB Game: Mud
Sourced From a Secret Spot
Jul 31, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Key to Every MLB Game: Mud Sourced From a Secret Spot
Inside the fascinating story of Lena Blackburne Baseball Rubbing Mud
- Every single major league baseball you've ever seen pitched, hit, or caught has had "mystical mud" rubbed into it. An MLB memo sent to teams last month specifies the precise way in which each brand-new ball should be mudded to make it grippable. And for decades, just a...
It's One of the Weirdest
Grand Slams You'll See
Jul 23, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
It's One of the Weirdest Grand Slams You'll See
Toronto's Ramiel Tapia hits a rare inside-the-park version
- Bases loaded, two outs, top of the third. Toronto's Raimel Tapia hits what appears to be routine fly ball to center, and his disappointment is evident at the plate, per
. Fortunately for him and his Blue Jays, Boston outfielder Jarren Duran utterly and completely lost track of...
Rule May Settle
Jul 19, 2022 7:24 AM CDT
Unusual New Rule May Settle Tuesday's All-Star Game
If game is tied after 9 innings, a home-run derby will decide it
- Some baseball fans might actually be rooting for a tie game at the end of nine innings Tuesday night in baseball's annual All-Star Game. Under a new rule for 2022, the game would then be decided by a home-run derby, reports CBS Sports . Each league would send up three...
This Year's All-Star Game
Features a Rare Pairing
Jul 12, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
This Year's All-Star Game Features a Rare Pairing
2 brothers, the Contrerases, will start for the National League
- When Major League Baseball plays its annual All-Star Game on July 19, the National League's starting roster will feature a rare thing: two brothers. Willson Contreras of the Chicago Cubs is the catcher, while younger brother William Contreras of the Atlanta Braves is the team's designated hitter, reports...
Mets Fan Makes Truly Wild
Jun 1, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Mets Fan Makes Truly Wild One-Handed Catch
Alan Alcantara had his toddler in his other hand
- To catch a home-run ball barehanded is impressive enough, but try holding a small child at the same time. A New York Mets fan managed that feat, leading Fox Sports to dub it the "catch of the year, no question about it." Queens resident Alan Alcantara was in...
Player for Slap
May 28, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
MLB Suspends Player for Slap Over Fantasy Football
Tommy Pham struck Joc Pederson before their game began
- Tommy Pham's handling of a disagreement over the rules for fantasy football, and tension over the money riding on it, has cost the ballplayer more than $100,000. The Reds outfielder slapped Joc Pederson of the San Francisco Giants during batting practice Friday, before their game in Cincinnati, the...
Takes a Stand
May 28, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
SF Giants Manager Takes a Stand After Uvalde
Gabe Kapler: I won't come out for national anthem till 'I feel ... better about the direction of our country'
- In the wake of the Uvalde mass shooting , the sports world is weighing in. Now joining Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr , the Miami Heat , and the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays in speaking out is San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler, who says he's not going...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Finding Puts 'Extra Nail in the Coffin' on Neanderthal Theory
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.