Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Major League Baseball
Stories 1 - 20 |
Played in Majors,
Has an $82M
Dec 4, 2023 4:25 PM CST
He's Never Played in Majors, Has an $82M Contract
Outfielder Jackson Chourio signs with the Milwaukee Brewers for a record amount
- Outfielder Jackson Chourio agreed to the largest contract for a player with no major league experience, an $82 million, eight-year deal with the Milwaukee Brewers announced Monday. The 19-year-old has played only six games above the Double-A level, reports the AP . His deal includes team options for 2032 and 2033,...
We 'Did Everything
We Could' to Stay
Nov 17, 2023 8:09 AM CST
A's Owner: We 'Did Everything We Could' to Stay
Team's move to Las Vegas approved by MLB owners
- One of Rob Manfred's first trips after his election as baseball commissioner nine years ago was to Oakland to consult with Athletics owner John Fisher on attempts to keep the team in the Bay Area. Unable together to make that work, the A's will instead move to Las...
Fan Sues Baseball Player
Over Throw Into Stands
Nov 2, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
Fan Sues Baseball Player Over Throw Into Stands
Mayra Norris says Jorge Soler injured her eye during the 2021 World Series
- The 2023 World Series is in the books , but one aspect of the 2021 World Series is playing out in the courtroom. A woman has sued the Atlanta Braves and player Jorge Soler, alleging that he recklessly threw a ball into the stands that resulted in severe damage to her...
Now Just 5 MLB Teams
Have Never Won a World Series
Nov 1, 2023 9:00 PM CDT
Now Just 5 MLB Teams Have Never Won a World Series
After Texas Rangers beat Arizona Diamondbacks
- Corey Seager took a mighty hack and barely connected, sending a dribbler through an open area on the left side of the infield for his team's first hit in the seventh inning on the Texas Rangers' way to their first World Series title. The Rangers shortstop and World Series...
This World Series
Oct 25, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
This World Series Matchup Was Very Unlikely
And yet here we are: Diamondbacks will play Rangers, starting Friday
- Tell the truth: How many people picked Arizona and Texas to meet in the World Series? A Rangers-Diamondbacks matchup had 1,750 to 1 odds when wagering opened last fall. But in an era when 12 teams make the playoffs, sustained excellence over the six-month regular season has become a...
A's Pitcher Takes Parting Shot
at Owner: 'Sell the Team, Dude'
Oct 17, 2023 8:08 AM CDT
A's Pitcher Takes Parting Shot at Owner: 'Sell the Team, Dude'
Oakland Athletics' Trevor May rails against John Fisher while announcing retirement
- Trevor May informed the world that he was retiring from Major League Baseball on Monday, but not before taking a parting shot at the owner of his team. Per
, the 34-year-old relief pitcher for the Oakland Athletics made his announcement in a Twitch video , and while he had...
She Made MLB
Makes an Exit
Oct 16, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
She Made MLB History, Now Makes an Exit
Kim Ng was the first woman GM of an MLB team, is leaving after 3 seasons with the Miami Marlins
- Kim Ng is leaving the Miami Marlins after three seasons as general manager, Marlins chairman and principal owner Bruce Sherman announced Monday. Ng, 54, became the majors' highest-ranking woman in baseball operations and the first female GM in the four major North American professional sports leagues in a groundbreaking hire...
Dodgers Pitcher Accused of
Sep 6, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Dodgers Pitcher Accused of Domestic Violence
MLB has opened an investigation into Julio Urías
- Major League Baseball has opened an investigation into Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Julio Urías after he was arrested Sunday on a felony charge of corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant, the AP reports. Deputy Maria Lucero, a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman, confirmed the felony charge...
Baseball Star Knocked
to Ground by Fans
Aug 29, 2023 6:26 AM CDT
Baseball Star Knocked to Ground by Fans
Atlanta Braves' Ronald Acuña uninjured by men who rushed field for selfies
- Ronald Acuña is on the brink of achieving something no baseball player has ever done—and two fans got way too aggressive in showing their apparent appreciation Monday night in Denver. The Atlanta Braves star was knocked to the turf as security tried to wrestle down the men who...
as a Hitter
Aug 25, 2023 4:31 PM CDT
Injured as a Pitcher, Star Returns as a Hitter
Shohei Ohtani won't pitch again this year but is in the Angels lineup as a DH
- Shohei Ohtani's season as a pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels ended on Wednesday, but he reappeared in the lineup as a designated hitter on Friday. The normally two-way star was scheduled to bat second against the New York Mets on Friday night, ESPN reports, in the first game...
MLB Star on Leave Amid
Allegation of Ties to Minor
Aug 22, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
MLB Star on Leave Amid Allegation of Ties to Minor
League and Dominican Republic investigating Wander Franco and allegations of improper relationship
- Tampa Bay Rays star Wander Franco won't be taking the field anytime soon amid an investigation that he had a relationship with at least one underaged girl. The team placed the 22-year-old on administrative leave Tuesday, reports the
. Major League Baseball is investigating the allegations with authorities in...
'J-Rod' Did Two
Has Ever Done
Aug 22, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
'J-Rod' Did Two Things Nobody in Baseball Has Ever Done
Mariners' Julio Rodriguez had 17 hits in 4 games, reached base 17 straight times he put ball in play
- Even the most casual of baseball fans might take a moment to wrap their heads around what Julio Rodriguez of the Seattle Mariners just accomplished. The 22-year-old center-fielder wrapped up a sizzling and historic five-game stretch at the plate. Highlights:
Within that span, "J-Rod" had 17 hits in four
You've Probably Never
Seen a Bat Like This
Aug 21, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
You've Probably Never Seen a Bat Like This
Bryson Stott of the Phillies uses one painted like a No. 2 pencil in Little League Classic
- The Nationals beat the Phillies 4-3 on Sunday, but the game is more notable for the unusual gear used by players from both teams. Like the bat custom-painted to resemble a No. 2 pencil by the Phillies' Bryson Stott, per the AP . On the opposing side, Joey Meneses wielded one...
Report: Orioles Announcer
Suspended for Weird Reason
Aug 8, 2023 8:22 PM CDT
Report: Orioles Announcer Suspended for Weird Reason
Insiders say owner was annoyed when Kevin Brown mentioned statistic from bad seasons
- Popular Baltimore Orioles announcer Kevin Brown was taken off the air because of some major league pettiness from team management, insiders say. Sources tell Awful Announcing that Brown, who has been calling games for the Orioles on radio and TV since 2019, was suspended indefinitely after he remarked during the...
After Angels Say He Won't Be
Traded, Ohtani Throws a Beauty
Jul 27, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
After Angels Say He Won't Be Traded, Ohtani Throws a Beauty
Star pitches a one-hitter and slugs his 37th homer of the year
- Shohei Ohtani looked his manager in the eye and, in just a few words, left no doubt of his intentions. "I'll finish it," Los Angeles Angels manager Phil Nevin recalled Ohtani telling him after the eighth inning of his first complete game in his Major League Baseball...
Jul 15, 2023 8:25 AM CDT
Two Brothers Do Something Never Done in Baseball
Josh and Bo Naylor each hit multi-run homers in the same inning for the same team
- It's pretty rare, though not unprecedented, for two brothers to make the major leagues and wind up on the same team. It's rarer still for them to homer in the same game, let alone the same inning. Josh and Bo Naylor of the Cleveland Guardians managed the feat...
It May Be
in MLB History
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 10, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
It May Be the Biggest Contract Bust in MLB History
Stephen Strasburg has pitched 31 innings since signing $245M deal, may never pitch again
- It was a bold move: After their 2019 championship season, the Washington Nationals signed reigning World Series MVP Stephen Strasburg to a monstrous $245 million contract over seven years. At the time, it was the biggest contract ever awarded to a pitcher. The problem is that the 34-year-old hasn't...
MLB Calls Off Games Due to
Wildfire Smoke From Canada
Jun 7, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
MLB Calls Off Games Due to Wildfire Smoke From Canada
Phillies, Yankees games postponed as air quality reaches 'hazardous' level
- Two Major League Baseball games have been called off as smoke from wildfires in Canada continues to cause terrible air quality for much of the eastern US, including New York City. The New York Yankees say Wednesday night's game against the Chicago White Sox at Yankee Stadium has been...
MLB Pitcher Suffers
Scary Line Drive Injury
May 15, 2023 7:36 AM CDT
MLB Pitcher Suffers Scary Line Drive Injury
Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner suffers concussion, skull fracture after being hit by ball
- Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner has a skull fracture and concussion after getting hit by a line drive off the bat of the Philadelphia Phillies' Nick Castellanos. Feltner was injured Saturday night during a game in Denver and was discharged from Swedish Medical Center on Sunday, per the AP . He...
Bo Knows Hiccups,
a Little Too Well
May 11, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Bo Knows Hiccups, a Little Too Well
Elite retired NFL, MLB athlete, who's had the condition for nearly a year, is getting surgery
- We all know how annoying it is to be stricken with a bout of hiccups, but few of us can attest to what it's like when those spasms go on for almost a full year. Elite athlete Bo Jackson now falls in the latter group, and he's "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.