Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wasn't Quite That
Jun 5, 2023 6:10 AM CDT
Video Suggests Lauren Boebert's 'No-Show Protest' Wasn't Quite That
She is seen rushing up Capitol steps to vote on debt ceiling but getting locked out
- When the House approved the debt-ceiling deal last week, Rep. Lauren Boebert was not present to cast her vote. Later, in a tweeted video, the conservative firebrand called it a "no-show protest" over legislation she called a "crap sandwich." A new video, however, suggests her absence wasn'...
Biden Makes Ask
of Americans in First
Oval Office Speech
Jun 3, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Biden Makes Ask of Americans in First Oval Office Speech
'Lower the temperature,' the president implores after talking about 'crisis averted' on debt ceiling
- President Biden gave his first speech to the public from the Oval Office on Friday evening, and it centered on the debt ceiling deal approved by the House and Senate this week that will keep the United States out of default. "Crisis averted," Biden declared of the agreement...
Debt Ceiling Bill
Jun 1, 2023 10:31 PM CDT
Senate Approves Debt Ceiling Bill
Measure passes 63-36
- Fending off a US default, the Senate gave final approval late Thursday to a debt ceiling and budget cuts package, grinding into the night to wrap up work on the bipartisan deal and send it to President Joe Biden's desk to become law before the fast-approaching deadline, the AP...
Debt Ceiling Deal
May 31, 2023 8:38 PM CDT
House Approves Debt Ceiling Deal
Measure to avoid default now goes to the Senate, where it's expected to pass by week's end
- It appears the US will
default on its debt for the first time in history. The House Wednesday night approved the deal worked out between House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and President Biden to raise the debt ceiling for two years, reports the AP . It now goes to the Senate,...
Did Biden 'Outfox' McCarthy?
Vote Count May Tell the Tale
May 31, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
Did Biden 'Outfox' McCarthy? Vote Count May Tell the Tale
If House speaker needs lots of Democrats to raise debt ceiling, it doesn't bode well for him
- The House votes Wednesday night on a deal to avoid a potentially calamitous default , and both Republicans and Democrats say the measure will pass. But a new DC drama has emerged about what the final vote tally will be—and the ramifications for House Speaker Kevin McCarthy in particular. Coverage:...
Debt Ceiling Bill
Clears Big Hurdle
May 31, 2023 12:02 AM CDT
Debt Ceiling Bill Clears Big Hurdle
Clears House Rules Committee vote to advance to House floor
- The debt ceiling bill passed a key procedural hurdle Tuesday night when the House Rules Committee advanced it to the House floor in a 7-6 vote. As Fox News reports, it wasn't guaranteed to clear what the outlet calls a "critical" hurdle, as Republicans hold a 9-4 advantage...
Debt Deal: True Market Relief,
or a 'Short-Lived Sugar High'?
May 29, 2023 8:08 AM CDT
Debt Deal: True Market Relief, or a 'Short-Lived Sugar High'?
As agreement on raising debt ceiling heads to Congress, varying thoughts on what comes next
- An agreement has been reached , at least in principle, by President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on raising the nation's debt limit, and now the final OK is in Congress' hands. Both progressive Democrats and ultra-conservatives are already pushing back on the deal , and if Biden and McCarthy...
Debt Deal Meets Resistance
May 29, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Debt Deal Meets Resistance
Biden, McCarthy have only days to build congressional support
- Now that President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy have reached an agreement on raising the nation's debt limit, they have only a few days to persuade members of Congress to vote for it. That will require assembling a coalition of Democrats and Republicans in both houses, the
Biden, McCarthy Strike a Deal.
Here's What's In It
May 28, 2023 5:17 AM CDT
Biden, McCarthy Strike a Deal. Here's What's In It
Congress must still approve agreement to raise debt ceiling
- President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy have reached an agreement in principle to increase the nation’s borrowing authority and avoid a default. Negotiators are now racing to finalize the bill’s text. McCarthy said the House will vote on the legislation on Wednesday, giving the Senate time to...
May 26, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Yellen Revises Debt Deadline
Treasury secretary tells Congress government will be out of cash by June 5
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Friday updated the date when she projects the federal government will run out of cash to pay its bills to June 5, unless the debt ceiling is raised or suspended by then. That's more specific than she's been; Yellen previously had said it...
Biden, McCarthy Say
They're Close to Debt Deal
May 26, 2023 5:45 AM CDT
Biden, McCarthy Say They're Close to Debt Deal
'We knew this would not be easy,' McCarthy says
- Days from a deadline, President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy are narrowing in on a two-year budget deal aiming to curb federal deficits in exchange for lifting the nation's debt ceiling and staving off an economically devastating government default. The Democratic president and Republican speaker hope to strike...
Fitch Issues Warning
on America's Credit Rating
May 25, 2023 5:07 AM CDT
Fitch Issues Warning on America's Credit Rating
Agency says move 'reflects increased partisanship' in debt limit talks
- With a potential debt default now less than a week away, Fitch Ratings has put America's AAA credit rating on negative watch, meaning a downgrade is possible. Fitch made the same move during a previous debt-limit standoff a decade ago under then-President Obama's administration. The ratings agency said...
Biden, McCarthy Call Talks
'Productive' but Inconclusive
May 22, 2023 8:30 PM CDT
Biden, McCarthy Call Talks 'Productive' but Inconclusive
Treasury Department is among those getting more nervous about default
- With the Treasury Department sounding more nervous about a default and their staffs making little progress, President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy returned to face-to-face talks for a day about raising the debt ceiling. Both pronounced their session at the White House productive when it ended Monday evening, the...
May 21, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Biden Has Question About 14th Amendment
Yellen agrees there might be better ways to solve debt crisis
- He probably has the authority to invoke the 14th Amendment to raise the debt ceiling without congressional approval, President Biden said Sunday, but he acknowledged that could lead to problems. "The question is, could it be done and invoked in time that it would not be appealed, and as...
Biden Tells World Leaders
US Will Avoid Debt Default
May 20, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
Biden Tells World Leaders US Will Avoid Debt Default
He apologizes for skipping Australia visit
- President Biden tried to reassure world leaders on Saturday that the United States would not default as he consulted with the heads of Australia, Japan, and India in a meeting of the so-called Quad partnership that had been hastily rescheduled because of the debt limit standoff back in Washington. Hoping...
Debt Ceiling Talks
Hit an Impasse
May 19, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Debt Ceiling Talks Hit an Impasse
The snag is seen as a negotiating ploy, though the clock is ticking to reach a deal
- On Thursday, House speaker Kevin McCarthy suggested high-stakes talks for a deal on the debt ceiling were going well . On Friday, a different tone: One of the Republican negotiators said talks were now on "pause" and accused the White House of "unreasonable" demands, reports the Hill . “We...
The Picture Being Painted
by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
May 17, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
The Picture Being Painted by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
Words 'confident' and 'optimistic' are getting used, but there's a ways to go
- As the clock ticks down to June 1, the president and congressional leaders continue to sound off about the likelihood of striking a deal on raising the debt ceiling. President Biden held a second Oval Office meeting with House and Senate leaders Kevin McCarthy, Hakeem Jeffries, Chuck Schumer, and Mitch...
Amid Debt Talks, Biden
Curtails Foreign Trip
May 16, 2023 8:05 PM CDT
Amid Debt Talks, Biden Curtails Foreign Trip
He's skipping Australia, Papua New Guinea
- Debt-limit talks shifted into an encouraging new phase Tuesday as President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy named top emissaries to negotiate a deal to avert an unprecedented national default. The president said he's curtailing his upcoming trip to the Indo-Pacific, scrapping what was to be a historic stop...
Speaker McCarthy: Debt Deal
Needed Soon to Avoid Default
May 9, 2023 8:07 PM CDT
Speaker McCarthy: Debt Deal Needed Soon to Avoid Default
But he didn't see 'new movement' in talks with Biden
- President Biden and congressional leaders confronted each other on the debt limit impasse Tuesday, ending their meeting with no breakthrough but agreeing to meet again this week to try to avert the looming risk of an unprecedented government default. Speaking at the White House, Biden described the talks as "...
Align on Debt Ceiling
May 8, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
McConnell, McCarthy Align on Debt Ceiling
Senator says he told Biden to reach a deal with speaker
- Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell has worked with President Biden before to avoid debt limit catastrophe, but he's yielding to the gentleman from California this time. McConnell told Politico he's informed the president he'll have to negotiate a solution with House Speaker Kevin McCarthy. "In the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.