Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
and Team Biden
Nov 28, 2023 7:23 AM CST
Trump Threatens ObamaCare, and Team Biden Loves It
Democrats see the Affordable Care Act as a winning issue
- ObamaCare has suddenly emerged as a 2024 election issue—at least in regard to the general election. Former President Trump threatened over the weekend to reopen the contentious fight over the Affordable Care Act after failing to repeal it while in the White House, saying he is "seriously looking...
Obama Back in White House
for First Time in 5 Years
Apr 5, 2022 4:08 PM CDT
Obama Back in White House for First Time in 5 Years
Yes, he and Biden cracked some jokes
- It's an old haunt he hadn't graced in a while: Former President Barack Obama on Tuesday visited the White House in what CNN reports was his first time in the building in more than five years. Obama had last been there for coffee with then-President-elect Trump on the...
Enroll in ObamaCare
Jan 27, 2022 4:04 PM CST
Record Numbers Enroll in ObamaCare
14.5M Americans signed up
- Some 14.5 million Americans who lack job-based health coverage signed up for 2022 coverage under the Affordable Care Act—a record—according to the latest figures. They're not quite final, with the number expected to climb, per the
. The current tally includes 10 million people from...
Trump May Have Been
Jun 18, 2021 6:36 AM CDT
Trump May Have Been ObamaCare's Savior
SCOTUS ruling suggests law is here to stay
- ObamaCare survived another Supreme Court challenge Thursday, with justices, including two of the three appointed by former President Trump, upholding the law in a 7-2 ruling that declared 19 GOP-led states and two individuals did not have standing to challenge the law. That's the biggest margin of victory for...
Supreme Court Dismisses
Jun 17, 2021 9:24 AM CDT
Supreme Court Dismisses ObamaCare Challenge
Justices leave the Affordable Care Act intact
- The Supreme Court has dismissed a challenge to the Obama-era health care law , preserving insurance coverage for millions of Americans, per the AP . The justices, by a 7-2 vote, left the entire law intact Thursday in ruling that Texas, other Republican-led states, and two individuals had no right to bring...
Bid for Budget
Chief, a New
Role for Tanden
May 15, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
After Losing Bid for Budget Chief, a New Role for Tanden
Biden's former pick to lead OMB will instead serve as a senior adviser to the president
- Neera Tanden may not have gotten the budget chief job she'd wanted, but she's now going to the White House. Officials there told NBC News on Friday that Tanden, whom Biden had originally tapped to lead the Office of Management and Budget, will instead serve as the president'...
Biden: I'm Reversing Trump's
'Attack on Women's Health'
Jan 28, 2021 2:15 PM CST
Biden: I'm Reversing Trump's 'Attack on Women's Health'
He also reopens sign-up window for health insurance during pandemic
- President Biden on Thursday ordered government health insurance markets to reopen for a special sign-up window, offering uninsured Americans a haven as the spread of COVID-19 remains dangerously high and vaccines aren't yet widely available, per the AP . Biden signed an executive order directing the HealthCare.gov insurance markets...
Obama: 'Let Me
Guy on the
Nov 15, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Obama: 'Let Me Smack This Guy on the Head'
The former president gives a wide-ranging interview to Gayle King on 'CBS This Morning'
- Former President Obama sat down with Gayle King to plug his new memoir
A Promised Land
—and covered, among other things, why he once wanted to smack a congressman on the head. Obama admits he was "shocked" when Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) shouted "You lie!" as the...
Common Theme Emerges
in ObamaCare Arguments
Nov 10, 2020 12:04 PM CST
Common Theme Emerges in ObamaCare Arguments
Roberts, Kavanaugh signal they won't dismantle Affordable Care Act, which would save it
- The Supreme Court heard its third challenge to ObamaCare on Tuesday, and a decision won't be out until next spring. But the early assessments after oral arguments wrapped up should give backers of the Affordable Care Act some comfort—it looks like the law will survive again. Coverage:
It's a Big Day
at Supreme Court
Nov 10, 2020 6:32 AM CST
It's a Big Day for ObamaCare at Supreme Court
Court's new conservative majority will again consider law, and it's being live-streamed
- This will likely be an anxious morning for supporters of ObamaCare as the Supreme Court—with its expanded conservative majority—again considers the law's fate. The pandemic provides an unusual window to hear Tuesday's oral arguments: They will be conducted via telephone and live-streamed to the public beginning...
Obamacare Returns Amid
Health Coverage 'Crisis'
Oct 31, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Obamacare Returns Amid Health Coverage 'Crisis'
An estimated 5M to 10M more Americans have lost coverage during the pandemic
- Millions of Americans who have lost health insurance in an economy shaken by the coronavirus can sign up for taxpayer-subsidized coverage starting Sunday, the AP reports. It's not a new COVID relief program from the government but the return of annual sign-up season under the Affordable Care Act, better...
In First Excerpt,
Oct 26, 2020 6:44 AM CDT
In First Excerpt, Obama Recalls Weightiest Fight in Congress
Focus is on passage of ObamaCare in 'New Yorker' release
is out with the first excerpt of former President Obama's forthcoming memoir,
A Promised Land
, and the focus is on how he and his team got ObamaCare passed. Before the legislative fight even began, Obama recounts a conversation with advisers Rahm Emanuel and David Axelrod, who...
New SCOTUS Term Starts
Quietly, but That Could Change
Oct 5, 2020 11:27 AM CDT
New SCOTUS Term Starts Quietly, but That Could Change
The term is so far short on high-profile cases, but perhaps not for long
- The Supreme Court began its new term Monday with a remembrance of "a dear friend and a treasured colleague," the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Chief Justice John Roberts paid tribute to Ginsburg as the court resumed its work via telephone because of the coronavirus pandemic. Roberts said...
Sep 20, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
Biden: This Isn't Just About the Supreme Court
The Democratic candidate makes his case in Philadelphia
- Joe Biden on Sunday used the sudden Supreme Court vacancy to reinforce his argument that the upcoming election should be a referendum on President Trump's handling of health care and the coronavirus, the AP reports. The death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg jolted the presidential campaign just six weeks...
Trump Has Rough Night
With Undecided Voters
Sep 16, 2020 7:35 AM CDT
Trump Has Rough Night With Undecided Voters
Even Joe Biden got in a dig during town hall in Philadelphia with the president
- President Trump faced "an unusual moment of exposure" Tuesday night as he was confronted on his response to the coronavirus pandemic, his vow to wipe out ObamaCare, his comments on dead soldiers, and more by a group of undecided voters during an ABC News town hall in Philadelphia, per...
Supreme Court Deals Big Blow
to One ObamaCare Mandate
Jul 8, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
Supreme Court Deals Big Blow to One ObamaCare Mandate
In 7-2 ruling, exemptions expanded to requirement that free birth control be on employer health plans
- Obtaining birth control through one's health plan at work may now be more difficult after a Supreme Court ruling Wednesday that expanded exemptions to an ObamaCare contraceptive mandate, NBC News and CNN report. In a 7-2 decision penned by Justice Clarence Thomas, the high court cleared the way for...
to SCOTUS: Strike
Jun 26, 2020 6:53 AM CDT
Trump Administration to SCOTUS: Strike Down ObamaCare
White House backs case before the Supreme Court
- In the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, the Trump administration on Thursday urged the Supreme Court to overturn the Affordable Care Act, the AP reports. The administration's latest high court filing came the same day the government reported that close to half a million people who lost their health...
Health Insurers Score Big
Payday at Supreme Court
Apr 27, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
Health Insurers Score Big Payday at Supreme Court
They're entitled to collect $12B from government in ObamaCare losses
- The Supreme Court ruled Monday that insurance companies can collect $12 billion from the federal government to cover their losses in the early years of the health care law championed by President Obama, per the AP . Insurers are entitled to the money under a provision of ObamaCare that promised the...
Uninsured Won't Be Able to
Enroll in Obamacare Right Now
Apr 1, 2020 11:04 AM CDT
Uninsured Won't Be Able to Enroll in Obamacare Right Now
White House declines to institute a special enrollment period for the federal exchanges
- Uninsured Americans will not have Obamacare as an option. The White House on Tuesday night confirmed to Politico that no special enrollment period would take place, though the official told the site the Trump administration is "exploring other options." The annual open enrollment period closed in December, and...
Several States Reopen
Mar 24, 2020 7:28 AM CDT
Several States Reopen ObamaCare Enrollment
Federal government is considering a similar move
- Several states that run their own ObamaCare exchanges have reopened enrollment to make it easier for people who have lost their jobs to get health insurance. So far, 11 states have done so, reports the
New York Times
. The bigger question is whether the federal government—which runs the exchange...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.