Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Strike a 'Victory
Oct 31, 2023 8:39 AM CDT
Strike a 'Victory for Autoworkers,' Not Necessarily for Consumers
Car prices could jump more than $1K to pay for new labor costs, one auto expert says
- General Motors, the final holdout in the United Auto Workers strike, finally caved this week, reaching a tentative agreement with workers that would bring to an end six weeks of strikes that targeted GM, Ford, and Stellantis—the so-called Big Three of Detroit. Details for all of the automakers' agreements...
UAW, Ford Have a 'Historic'
Oct 26, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
UAW, Ford Have a 'Historic' Tentative Agreement
'We won things nobody thought possible,' says UAW President Shawn Fain
- After 41 days on strike, United Auto Workers has reached a tentative—and, the union says, "historic"—agreement with Ford. The deal, according to a UAW news release cited by the
, includes 25% in base wage increases through April 2028, plus cost-of-living adjustments. The top wage...
United Auto Workers
Strike Just Got Bigger
Sep 29, 2023 10:29 AM CDT
United Auto Workers Strike Just Got Bigger
7K more workers will target Ford plant in Chicago, GM factory near Lansing, Michigan
- The United Auto Workers union says its two-week strike against Detroit automakers will spread to 7,000 more workers at a Ford plant in Chicago and a General Motors assembly factory near Lansing, Michigan, reports the AP . Union President Shawn Fain told workers on a video appearance Friday that negotiations...
Biden Makes Big
on UAW Strike
Sep 23, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
President is heading to Michigan on Tuesday to stand with union workers on the picket line
- The United Auto Workers strike expanded on Friday , with union workers walking out of dozens of additional parts-distribution centers across the nation amid sluggish negotiations with Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, Detroit's "Big Three" automakers. Now, a big-name boost is heading to the picket line next week: President...
Warning to UAW:
Don't Kill 'the Goose
That Lays the Golden Egg'
Sep 21, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Warning to UAW: Don't Kill 'the Goose That Lays the Golden Egg'
In 'NYT' op-ed, Steven Rattner worries about strike's 'implications for our economy,' and for Biden
- The United Auto Workers union is threatening to expand its targeted strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers if major advances aren't seen in contract negotiations by Friday. But at least one person thinks that the UAW is "overplaying its hand" in taking on Ford, General Motors, and...
Deadline Passes With No Deal,
and UAW Strike Begins
Sep 14, 2023 11:35 PM CDT
Deadline Passes With No Deal, and UAW Strike Begins
13K US auto workers stopped making vehicles Friday
- About 13,000 US auto workers stopped making vehicles and went on strike Friday after their leaders couldn't bridge a giant gap between union demands in contract talks and what Detroit's three automakers are willing to pay, the AP reports. Members of the United Auto Workers union began...
UAW Contract Deadline Nears:
'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
Sep 14, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
UAW Contract Deadline Nears: 'Nobody's Coming to Save Us'
United Auto Workers leader Shawn Fain says likely strike will be 'limited and targeted'
- The head of the United Auto Workers union said Wednesday that a strike against Detroit's Big Three automakers is imminent, with negotiations ahead of Thursday's 11:59pm contract deadline not making the headway needed to fend off a work stoppage at Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis, per the...
How a Potential Autoworker
Strike May Affect Car Prices
Sep 11, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
How a Potential Autoworker Strike May Affect Car Prices
If it goes into November, forget about year-end sales for big US automakers
- The nation is on the brink of another massive strike, with about 150,000 US autoworkers threatening to walk off the job when their current contract expires at 11:59pm Thursday. By all accounts, the United Auto Workers union is far from a deal with Ford, General Motors, and Stellantis...
On Labor Day,
a Major Strike Looms
Sep 4, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
On Labor Day, a Major Strike Looms
'More combative' United Auto Workers union makes demands ahead of contract expiration on Sept. 14
- A 46% pay raise. A 32-hour workweek with 40 hours of pay. A restoration of traditional pensions. The demands that a more combative United Auto Workers union has pressed on General Motors, Stellantis, and Ford—demands that even the UAW's own president calls "audacious"— are edging it...
Prosecutor: Teen Had Very Bad
Plan to Get Friend Off Work
Jul 21, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Prosecutor: Teen Had Very Bad Plan to Get Friend Off Work
Missouri man allegedly made 'swatting' call that forced evacuation of Ford plant
- A 19-year-old man in Missouri allegedly had a plan to get his friend off work and in one way, it was a success: Ford's assembly plant in Claycomo, near Kansas City, was evacuated and production was halted Tuesday night after a caller said they were barricaded in a second-floor...
in a Week
Jun 7, 2023 6:23 AM CDT
Ford Suffers 2nd Recall in a Week
125K Escapes, Mavericks, and Lincoln Corsairs are affected
- Less than a week after Ford told owners of some 142,000 Lincoln MKC SUVs to park them outside because of the risk of fire even when the vehicles are turned off, well, Ford owners of another flavor are in for a recall. According to a Tuesday alert from the...
Drive This Ford SUV? Ford
Wants You to Park It Outside
Jun 2, 2023 9:21 AM CDT
Drive This Ford SUV? Ford Wants You to Park It Outside
Recall cites short circuit in Lincoln MKC that can cause vehicle to catch fire, even when engine is off
- Ford is telling owners of more than 140,000 SUVs in the US to park them outside because they can catch fire even when the engines are turned off. The company is recalling certain Lincoln MKC SUVs from the 2015 to 2019 model years, per the AP . Ford says a...
Ford Reverses Position
on AM Radio in Vehicles
May 23, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Ford Reverses Position on AM Radio in Vehicles
CEO Jim Farley says the company recognizes AM's importance to emergency broadcasts
- In a twist that likely has vintage tech enthusiasts cheering and EV fans scratching their heads, Ford made a U-turn on its previous decision to remove AM radio from its products. Instead, the
Detroit Free Press
reports the automaker will keep it old school—AM radio will be included in...
Ford Cuts EV Prices
Despite $722M Loss
May 3, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
Ford Cuts EV Prices Despite $722M Loss
Company says it has boosted Mach-E production capacity
- Ford's "Model e" electric vehicle unit lost $722 million in the first quarter of this year, but the company is pushing ahead with price cuts to its electric Mustang Mach-E SUV. Quartz reports that the company announced price cuts of between $1,000 and $4,000 across the...
Drive a Ford? See If
You're on the Recall List
Mar 18, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Drive a Ford? See If You're on the Recall List
Newest pullback involves 1.5M vehicles with brake hose, wiper issues
- With spring just days away, you may be thinking of taking a ride to the car wash to spiffy up those wheels for the warmer weather. If you own a Ford, you also might want to see if your vehicle is on its latest recall lists. Per NPR , the automaker...
Ford Patent Sees Weird
Twist to Self-Driving Cars
Mar 6, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Ford Patent Sees Weird Twist to Self-Driving Cars
Vehicles would lock out owners behind on payments, drive themselves away for repos
- The Drive has spotted a doozy of a patent application from Ford, one that takes the concept of self-driving cars down an unexpected road. The new technology would first allow the vehicle to lock out owners if they fall behind on payments. The crazier part is that the vehicle would...
Ford to Start Making EV
Batteries in Michigan
Feb 14, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Ford to Start Making EV Batteries in Michigan
Company announces new $3.5B plant
- Ford Motor Co. plans to build a $3.5 billion factory in Michigan that would employ at least 2,500 people to make lower-cost batteries for a variety of new and existing electric vehicles. The plant, to be built about 100 miles west of Detroit, would start making enough batteries...
Diana's Car Brings $764K
Aug 27, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Diana's Car Brings $764K
Princess drove Ford Escort from 1985 to '88
- A car driven by Princess Diana in the 1980s sold for $764,000 at auction in London on Saturday, just days before the 25th anniversary of her death. Silverstone Auctions said there was "fierce bidding" for the black Ford Escort RS Turbo before the sale closed, the AP reports....
What Reviewers Think
of Ford's Electric Truck
May 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
What Reviewers Think of Ford's Electric Truck
In short, they are very impressed with the Lightning
- Automotive journalists got to take the new Ford F-150 electric pickup for a spin, and the reviews are downright glowing. Gas-powered F-series trucks have long been the best-selling vehicles in America, and the electric Lightning may continue the trend if the reviews are any indication. The truck, now in production,...
2 Big Recalls From
2 Major Automakers
Apr 2, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
2 Big Recalls From 2 Major Automakers
Ford is pulling back 737K vehicles over braking, oil leaks; GM 681K vehicles for wiper issues
- While it may have been unfortunate timing, Ford's April Fools' Day announcement was the real deal: The auto manufacturer is recalling more than 737,000 vehicles for two separate issues. Per the AP , about 345,000 Ford Escape SUVs (years 2020 through 2022) and the 2021-22 versions of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.