Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Lia Thomas Opens Up
About Past and Future
May 31, 2022 5:12 PM CDT
Lia Thomas Opens Up About Past and Future
It was a rare media appearance for the transgender swimmer
- Transgender swimmer Lia Thomas has graduated from Penn and plans to go to law school. She also hopes to compete in the 2024 US Olympic Team Trials, according to
Good Morning America.
Thomas took gold in the 500-yard freestyle in March, becoming the first transgender athlete to win an NCAA...
Comic's Old Clip Mocking
Ricky Gervais Gains Steam
May 27, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
Comic's Old Clip Mocking Ricky Gervais Gains Steam
UK's James Acaster slammed fellow comedian in 2019 for mocking transgender community
- "I feel like some [stand-up] out there is doing a lacerating 15 minutes on superstar transphobic comedians and we should be seeing that." That was a tweet earlier this week by TV writer Bob Schooley, a reference to comics such as Dave Chappelle and Ricky Gervais , who've...
Laverne Cox Now
Has Her Own Barbie
May 27, 2022 4:14 AM CDT
Laverne Cox Now Has Her Own Barbie
She hopes 'kids of all gender identities can look at this Barbie and dream'
- Laverne Cox says that as a child, she was shamed for wanting a Barbie. Now, just ahead of her 50th birthday, one has been made in her likeness—a first for a transgender woman. Mattel worked closely with the trans activist and
Orange Is the New Black
star on the...
Amid Backlash, Gervais
Defends 'Taboo' Jokes
May 25, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Amid Backlash, Gervais Defends 'Taboo' Jokes
Comedy helps 'get us through stuff,' he says after criticism of trans jokes in Netflix special
- Ricky Gervais is making no apologies amid a backlash over trans jokes in his new Netflix special. But he tells the BBC that the point of comedy is to help people deal with dicey topics. "I think that's what comedy is for, really—to get us through stuff,...
Legislators Override Veto
of Transgender Sports Bill
May 24, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Legislators Override Veto of Transgender Sports Bill
ACLU sues to keep Indiana law from taking effect
- Republican lawmakers in Indiana voted Tuesday to override the GOP governor's veto of a bill prohibiting transgender females from competing in girls school sports and join about a dozen other states adopting similar laws in the past two years. State senators voted 32-15 in favor of overriding Gov. Eric...
4 Minutes Into
May 24, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
4 Minutes Into New Show, Gervais Makes Trans Jokes
Comedian is taking flak online over Netflix special
- Ricky Gervais' new comedy special just began streaming on Netflix, but it already has generated quite a backlash on social media. The reason? Gervais reels off a series of jokes about trans people just four minutes in. As
recounts, Gervais begins by talking about "old-fashioned women, the ones...
He Wanted Male Genitals.
Getting Them Would Take Years
May 15, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
He Wanted Male Genitals. Getting Them Would Take Years
A look into phalloplasty, a procedure that more trans men are opting for
- As Benjamin Simpson describes it, the realization came like a thunderclap. "[Expletive]! I’m trans! I gotta go!" It's what he shouted to the friends he was having drinks with in Manhattan in 2015, an understanding that came after years of probing "why something in his...
Suspect in Attack
May 5, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Suspect in Attack on Chappelle Won't Face Felony Charges
Isaiah Lee could still be charged with misdemeanors
: The man arrested in the onstage attack on comedian Dave Chappelle won't be charged with any felonies, the Los Angeles Police Department said Thursday. Prosecutors came to the conclusion that criminal conduct occurred but not felony conduct, CBS News reports. The Los Angeles City Attorney's Office will...
'Sorely Needed' Study Weighs
In on Early Transgender Identity
May 4, 2022 9:01 AM CDT
'Sorely Needed' Study Weighs In on Early Transgender Identity
Those who begin IDing as transgender at young age tend to keep that identity, research finds
- Children who begin identifying as transgender at a young age tend to retain that identity at least for several years, a study published Wednesday suggests. The research involved 317 youngsters who were 3 to 12 years old when they were recruited to the study. Five years later, at the study'...
Shawnee State and Prof
Settle Pronoun Dispute
Apr 19, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
Shawnee State and Prof Settle Pronoun Dispute
After a four-year legal battle, the professor won the right to ignore students' pronoun preferences
- Shawnee State University has reached a settlement with philosophy professor Nicholas Meriwether: he’ll get $400,000, plus he will not be required to use gender pronouns that offend his religious beliefs. In a statement, the Ohio school said it was "an economic decision," per CNN: "Though...
at 19. Now: 'I Wasn't
Old Enough' for
Apr 12, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
She Transitioned at 19. Now: 'I Wasn't Old Enough' for That Choice
Corinna Cohn on what 'I wish I had known' before gender affirmation surgery
- Corinna Cohn underwent gender-confirmation surgery as a virgin at age 19. Now "closer to 50," the officer with the Gender Care Consumer Advocacy Network has some regrets, as she writes in a
op-ed urging caution to those considering a similar path. There are things "I...
A Disney Heir Comes Out
Apr 11, 2022 6:41 PM CDT
A Disney Heir Comes Out as Transgender
Family launches effort to fight 'Don't Say Gay' bill and similar efforts
- An heir to the Walt Disney Co. has come out as transgender, announcing a family effort to support LGBTQ rights and oppose new legislation that threatens them. Charlee Disney came out publicly last month at the Human Rights Campaign's annual gala after coming out privately four years ago, NBC...
April 11 Will Be a Big Day
for Transgender Americans
Mar 31, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
April 11 Will Be a Big Day for Transgender Americans
State Department sets date for widespread introduction of gender-neutral passports
- In what State Department special envoy for LGBTQ rights Jessica Stern calls a "momentous step," Americans will be able to select "X" as their gender on passport applications starting April 11. Stern says adding the gender-neutral option moves the US toward "ensuring that our administrative systems...
Putin Drags JK Rowling
Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Mar 25, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
Putin Drags JK Rowling Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Leader says both Russia, 'Harry Potter' author have been 'canceled'—Rowling for her trans views
- It's not terribly surprising that Vladimir Putin might try to control the narrative on his country's invasion of Ukraine by painting Russia as some kind of victim. And he did just that during a Friday address on state TV, touching on the concept of "cancel culture" and...
Lawmakers Vote to Prohibit
Minors' Transgender Surgery
Mar 24, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Lawmakers Vote to Prohibit Minors' Transgender Surgery
Arizona governor hasn't said if he'll sign bill, which also restricts athletes
- The Arizona Legislature passed bills Thursday to prohibit gender reassignment surgery for minors and transgender athletes from playing on girls sports teams, joining a growing list of Republican-controlled states attempting to restrict transgender rights as they gain more visibility in culture and society. Republican Gov. Doug Ducey has not said...
Ron DeSantis Signs
Lia Thomas Swim Victory
Mar 23, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
Ron DeSantis Signs Proclamation Denying Lia Thomas Swim Victory
Florida governor says Emma Weyant, a Florida native, is the real winner
- Lia Thomas won an NCAA Division I title last week , but not according to Ron DeSantis. The Florida governor on Tuesday signed a proclamation declaring second-place winner Emma Weyant, who grew up and graduated from high school in Florida before going on to swim for the University of Virginia, the...
2 GOP Governors Veto
Transgender Sports Bans
Mar 22, 2022 6:13 PM CDT
2 GOP Governors Veto Transgender Sports Bans
' I always try to err on the side of kindness,' Utah Gov. Spencer Cox says
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox vetoed a ban on transgender students playing girls’ sports on Tuesday, becoming the second Republican governor this week to overrule state lawmakers taking on youth sports amid broader culture wars as LGBTQ visibility grows. Cox joins Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb, who vetoed a statewide ban on...
Mar 22, 2022 12:34 PM CDT
Twitter Spat Costs Author Literary Prize Nomination
Lauren Hough, a lesbian, says she was wrongly painted as transphobic
New York Times
best-selling author says her debut memoir has been removed from contention for a Lambda Literary Award following a dust-up on Twitter. Lauren Hough's essay collection
Leaving Isn't The Hardest Thing
—including tales from her time as a cult member, Air Force airman, cable guy,...
Idaho Bill on Trans Youth
Could Send Parents
to Prison for Life
Mar 10, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Idaho Bill on Trans Youth Could Send Parents to Prison for Life
They could be hit with felony for seeking gender-affirming medical care for kids, even in other states
- As parents of transgender children in Texas grapple with the state's new law over providing gender-affirming medical care, Idaho parents are now facing similar issues, with even more restrictions piled on. The
reports that on Tuesday, the Idaho House of Representatives passed a bill barring such medical...
Gonna Be OK'
Mar 5, 2022 9:30 AM CST
GOP Governor to Transgender Athletes: 'It's Gonna Be OK'
Utah's Spencer Cox says he'll veto bill to ban transgender student athletes in girls sports
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox said that he plans to veto legislation passed Friday that would ban transgender student-athletes from competing in girls sports. Without his support, Utah is unlikely to join the 11 states, all Republican-led, that have recently enacted bans on transgender girls wanting to compete in school sports...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
NY Couple Dies, Leaving SPCA Its Biggest Case Ever
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.