Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
California Store Owner Killed
Defending Her Pride Flag
Aug 21, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
California Store Owner Killed Defending Her Pride Flag
Shooter killed Laura Ann Carleton in front of clothing store before deadly encounter with police
- A store owner in California was shot and killed Friday by a man who made derogatory comments about rainbow Pride flags erected outside the store, according to investigators. Laura "Lauri" Ann Carleton, 66, was shot outside her Mag Pi clothing store in Cedar Glen, about 60 miles east of...
Aug 16, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Backlash to Pride Merch Hurt Target
Retailer sees quarterly sales fall for the first time in 6 years
- Target's quarterly sales dropped for the first time in six years, due in part to the "strong reaction" to its Pride month offerings, the company said Wednesday. Sales at stores open for at least a year fell 5.4% last quarter, while foot traffic declined 4.8%, CNN...
Union Calls Strike
at Starbucks Over
Jun 23, 2023 3:43 PM CDT
Union Calls Strike at Starbucks Over Pride Displays
Company says there's been no change in its support of LGBTQ+ causes
- Workers at 150 Starbucks locations plan to strike in the coming week over what their union says is a clash over decor supporting LGBTQ+ causes. The company denies it's banned any such displays and accused the union of using misinformation as a tactic in labor talks. Starbucks Workers United...
Dodgers' Pride Night
Jun 17, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Thousands Protest Dodgers' Pride Night
Baseball team restored invitation to Los Angeles organization after canceling it in the face of backlash
- The Los Angeles Dodgers' presentation of a Community Hero Award to a group that some say mocks Catholicism before Friday night's game drew protests and prayers, forcing security to shut the main entrance for a time. Demonstrators carrying signs reading "Stop anti-Catholic hate" and "God will not...
This Is America's
Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
Jun 13, 2023 4:16 PM CDT
This Is America's Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
San Francisco takes the top spot in LawnStarter's rankings, while Florida's Hialeah falls to the bottom
- It's almost the midway point in Pride Month, the celebration and commemoration of LGBTQ+ pride, with events taking place nationwide—including at the White House . LawnStarter decided to scout out what parts of the country are most pride-friendly, looking at 20 metrics for 200 of the America's largest...
as School Debates
Jun 7, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Punches Thrown as School Debates Pride Month
Protesters gathered outside California school board meeting
- Protesters briefly scuffled and punches flew Tuesday as a Southern California school district decided whether to recognize June as Pride month, the AP reports. Several hundred people gathered in the parking lot of the Glendale Unified School District headquarters, split between those who support or oppose teaching about exposing youngsters...
Now Kohl's Is Being Threatened
With Boycott Over Pride Clothes
May 30, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Now Kohl's Is Being Threatened With Boycott Over Pride Clothes
Critics are particularly upset about infant onesies
- Following the outcry against Target's Pride collection , another retailer is being threatened with a boycott: Kohl's. The department store, like Target, is featuring clothing and accessories supporting the LGBTQ+ community as Pride Month begins in June, and the
New York Post
reports that critics were taking particular offense...
Target Yanks Some Pride Merch
May 24, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
Target Yanks Some Pride Merch
Employees feared for safety, designer faced death threats
- Target will remove some LGBTQ-themed merchandise from its stores and website after shoppers threatened store employees and knocked down displays. The retailer has received negative reactions to its Pride Month merchandise, including rainbow-colored clothing and decor items, in the past, but employees have been met with an aggressive response this...
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night
After 2nd Round of Backlash
May 23, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night After 2nd Round of Backlash
MLB team uninvited LGBTQ+ charity group after conservative complaints, then reinvited them
- It didn't seem out of the ordinary that the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence , an LGBTQ+ charity and satirical performance drag group in which participants dress as nuns, had been invited to the Los Angeles Dodgers' 10th annual Pride Night next month. The group was set to receive a "...
NHL's Pride Night
for First Time
Apr 7, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
NHL's Pride Night Hits Resistance for First Time
League to reconsider its handling of the event after seven players sit it out
- Sports leagues and teams often use Pride nights to raise the visibility and acceptance of LGBTQ+ people—as well as sell them tickets—and the NHL has been a leader. They can include special jerseys designed by LGBTQ+ artists, performances, information tables, even drag performances. And they're largely a...
Soccer Hooligans Battle
Police at Belgrade Pride March
Sep 17, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
Soccer Hooligans Battle Police at Belgrade Pride March
Event had been prohibited earlier by Serbian president
- Riot police clashed Saturday with soccer hooligans in downtown Belgrade, where an international Pride march started despite threats from anti-gay groups and an official ban earlier . Tensions were high in the Serbian capital as the ultranationalist fans hurled stun grenades, stones, and flares at a police cordon, which repelled the...
This Nation Just Nixed a
Huge LGBTQ Event in Europe
Aug 27, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
This Nation Just Nixed a Huge LGBTQ Event in Europe
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic says his nation can't host EuroPride due to extremist threats
- Serbia won't allow a pan-European LGBTQ Pride event to take place in Belgrade next month, the president said Saturday, citing threats from right-wing extremists and fears of clashes. Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic announced the decision to cancel the Sept. 12-18 EuroPride celebration during a news conference, in which he...
Panel Rejects Logo
as Too Close to Pride Flag
Jul 13, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Panel Rejects Logo as Too Close to Pride Flag
Montana commission chair is among those who don't see much resemblance
- The commission that oversees the Montana State Library has rejected a proposed new logo after a member said the main feature—a prism—brought to mind the rainbow LGBTQ pride flag, something she suggested would set off a political firestorm. Two commissioners and the state librarian are meeting again this...
Jul 2, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
London Marks Milestone Pride Parade
Mayor predicts events will draw more than 1M
- Hundreds of thousands of people turned out on the streets of London on Saturday to mark the 50th anniversary of the UK's first Pride parade, filling the streets of the British capital with color. A vibrant crowd turned out to either take part in or watch the festivities, forming...
Ukraine Can't Have 'KyivPride'
in Kyiv, but It's Still Having It
Jun 25, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Ukraine Can't Have 'KyivPride' in Kyiv, but It's Still Having It
Country's largest LGBTQ event will take place in Poland, joining huge Pride event in Warsaw
- Ukraine's largest LGBTQ rights event, KyivPride, is going ahead on Saturday. But not on its native streets, and not as a celebration. It will instead join Warsaw's yearly Equality Parade, the largest gay pride event in central Europe, using it as a platform to keep international attention focused...
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves
2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Jun 25, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves 2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Police investigating mass shooting in Norwegian capital of Oslo as possible terror attack
- A gunman opened fire in Oslo's nightlife district early Saturday, killing two people and leaving 10 seriously wounded in what police are investigating as a possible terrorist attack during the Norwegian capital's annual Pride festival. Investigators said the suspect, identified as a 42-year-old Norwegian citizen originally from Iran,...
Jun 14, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
In Possible Hate Crime, Men Storm Drag Queen Story Hour
No arrests have yet been made
- Authorities were investigating a possible hate crime after a group of men allegedly shouted homophobic and anti-LGBTQ slurs during a Drag Queen Story Hour at a San Francisco Bay Area library, a sheriff's official said. Deputies responded to the San Lorenzo Library on Saturday afternoon following reports of a...
School Board Bans
All Political Signs
Aug 12, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
School Board Bans All Political Signs
Next, members will look at rewriting anti-racism policy
- On a 4-3 vote, members of an Oregon school board decided to prohibit signs, flags, and clothing with political messages on district property. The Newberg board members didn't specify what they consider "political," but community members who spoke at the meeting brought up pride flags and Black...
Pride Flag Replaced With
Confederate Flag on Campus
Aug 11, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Pride Flag Replaced With Confederate Flag on Campus
Police investigating what Virginia Tech's Wesley religious center calls a 'hate crime'
- A gay pride flag has been stolen from a religious center at Virginia Tech for the third time in two weeks, and this time a Confederate flag was erected in its place. Police in Blacksburg, Va., are investigating the vandalism at the Wesley center, which campus minister Bret Gresham spotted...
Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Jun 26, 2021 8:54 PM CDT
Introduces Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Nina's brother and his family showed up for family day
- There’s a new family on Sesame Street. Nina, a regular character, introduces her brother Dave on family day. Dave, his husband, Frank, and their daughter, Mia, all come to a party. It’s a very natural introduction, providing only the information a kid needs. Kids “just need to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.