Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Paris Mayor Abandons
'Vast Worldwide Sewer' of X
Nov 27, 2023 6:20 PM CST
Paris Mayor Abandons 'Vast Worldwide Sewer' of X
The site provokes conflict instead of encouraging debate, Anne Hidalgo says
- Saying the social media platform has become "a tool for destroying our democracies," the mayor of Paris announced Monday that she's quitting X. She didn't name Elon Musk but made clear that it's all gotten worse since he took over Twitter, Politico Europe reports. "...
Global Rallies Sparked by War
Include Holocaust Survivors
Nov 18, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Global Rallies Sparked by War Include Holocaust Survivors
Paris gathering raises concern about rising antisemitism
- Survivors of Nazi atrocities joined young Jewish activists outside the Paris Holocaust memorial on Saturday to sound the alarm about resurgent antisemitic hate speech, graffiti, and abuse linked to the Israel-Hamas war. Thousands of pro-Palestinian and left-wing activists rallied in Paris and around Britain on Saturday to call for a...
Paris' Mayor Is Taking
Aim at SUVs
Nov 15, 2023 2:18 PM CST
Paris' Mayor Is Taking Aim at SUVs
Referendum would raise parking fees for visitors with the 'resource-guzzling' vehicles
- Does Paris have too many SUVs? The mayor is putting that question to voters in the runup to next year's Olympic Games, the latest salvo in her long-running campaign to make the city more friendly to pedestrians and the planet, and less friendly to cars. Voters will be asked...
Police Open Fire on Woman
at Paris Subway Station
Oct 31, 2023 3:36 PM CDT
Police Open Fire on Woman at Paris Subway Station
She allegedly threatened to blow herself up, 'made remarks of a rather Islamist nature'
- Paris police opened fire Tuesday on a woman who threatened to blow herself up after allegedly making death threats and speaking in support of terrorism on a train heading into the French capital. It was the latest security incident in France, which has been on heightened anti-terror alert since a...
of 'the Rock'
to Be Fixed
Oct 24, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
'Whitewashed' Wax Statue of 'the Rock' to Be Fixed
Paris museum will redo the statue after massive uproar over its appearance, skin tone
- A Paris wax museum says it will fix a wax statue of Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson after a massive uproar over the statue's appearance—most notably its very white skin tone. The actor and onetime professional wrestler's mother is Samoan, and his Canadian father was Black, the...
Ahead of Paris Olympics, a
Pesky Issue: 'No One Is Safe'
Oct 2, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
Ahead of Paris Olympics, a Pesky Issue: 'No One Is Safe'
Bedbugs are overrunning France, with the Games less than 10 months away
- The Summer Olympics kick off in Paris in a little under 10 months, but France is now contending with a pesky issue it hopes it can contain before then. NPR reports on a nationwide "resurgence of bloodsucking bedbugs," six-legged insects about the size of an apple seed that...
Paris Wipes Streets
of Rented e-Scooters
Sep 1, 2023 9:36 AM CDT
Paris Wipes Streets of Rented e-Scooters
City is first European capital to ban divisive 'free-floating' vehicles
- Five years after they were introduced, to the delight of some residents and the annoyance of others, the last of 15,000 rental e-scooters have been cleared from the streets of Paris. The city has become the first European capital to ban the rental scooters, though Parisians will still be...
Places to Not Fall Asleep
While Drunk in Paris
Aug 15, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Places to Not Fall Asleep While Drunk in Paris
2 American tourists spent the night in the Eiffel Tower, delaying its opening by an hour
- When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Paris, don't do as these two Americans did. As AFP reports, Eiffel Tower security guards making their rounds early Monday before the Parisian icon's 9am opening found a rather unusual and unwelcome surprise in the form of two...
The Seine Was
Taboo for a
Jul 30, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
The Seine Was Taboo for a Century. Now, Swimmers Rejoice
Paris to allow public to swim in river starting in 2025, more than 100 years after ban was instituted
- When Georges Seurat painted
Bathers at Asnieres
in 1884, his scene of people frolicking in the Seine was one that reflected real life, as the French back then were permitted to swim in the river. Bathing in the Seine was banned less than 30 years after that, though "rogue"...
Tour de France Champ Repeats
Jul 23, 2023 3:20 PM CDT
Tour de France Champ Repeats
Jonas Vingegaard built up a lead in the Alps
- Danish rider Jonas Vingegaard has won the Tour de France for a second straight year as cycling's most storied race finished Sunday on Paris' famed Champs-Élysées. With a huge lead built up over main rival Tadej Pogacar, the 2020 and 2021 winner, Vingegaard knew the victory was...
Olympics Booze Ban
Has an Elite Exception
Jun 28, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
Olympics Booze Ban Has an Elite Exception
VIPs will get to swill alcohol, while the masses will drink water, soft drinks
- Paris has deemed that the hoi polloi will not be getting a buzz on at its 2024 Olympics—but there's a notable exception to its booze ban, and that is the folks in the VIP section. As the
reports, VIPs can swill champagne to their hearts' content under...
2 Missing in
Jun 21, 2023 4:21 PM CDT
Dozens Injured, 2 Missing in Paris Explosion
Witnesses said they smelled gas before blast that destroyed fashion school
- A massive explosion in the center of Paris on Wednesday injured 29 people, four of them seriously, and two people are missing in the wreckage of a building that housed a private fashion school, authorities say. The cause of the blast is unknown, but some witnesses said there was a...
Flight Diverts After Passenger
'Wouldn't Calm Down'
Jun 5, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Flight Diverts After Passenger 'Wouldn't Calm Down'
'Unruly' man causes plane from Paris to US to land in Newfoundland, Canada, instead: officials
- A Delta Air Lines flight out of Paris on Friday had Detroit as its destination. But the plane took an unexpected detour to a third country after officials say an unmanageable passenger caused the aircraft to be diverted. FlightAware tracking data shows that Flight DL97 took off from Charles de...
Paris Says a Big 'Non'
to Rental E-Scooters
Apr 3, 2023 6:45 PM CDT
Paris Says a Big 'Non' to Rental E-Scooters
In referendum, almost 90% voted to banish them
- Parisians have overwhelmingly voted to banish the French capital's ubiquitous for-hire e-scooters from their streets, in a mini-referendum the mayor said sent a “very clear message." The 15,000 opinion-dividing mini-machines could now vanish from central Paris at the end of August when the city's contracts...
Retirement Change Wins Vote
Despite Protests, Garbage Piles
Mar 12, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
Retirement Change Wins Vote Despite Protests, Garbage Piles
French Senate approves raising age from 62 to 64
- A widely unpopular bill that would raise the retirement age in France from 62 to 64 has pushed forward with the Senate's adoption of the measure despite labor strikes, street protests, and tons of uncollected garbage piling higher by the day. Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne tweeted late Saturday after...
'Passage of Violence' in
Paris Stopped in One Minute
Jan 11, 2023 9:15 AM CST
'Passage of Violence' in Paris Stopped in One Minute
Police managed to quickly respond to blade attack at Gare du Nord station
- Access to transportation was disrupted in Paris on Wednesday due to what the AP calls an "unprovoked blade attack" at Paris' Gare du Nord train station. Officials say an individual armed with a homemade weapon that was "not a knife" started to attack people at 6:42am local...
'Total Panic' as Gunman
Opens Fire in Paris
Dec 23, 2022 7:10 AM CST
'Total Panic' as Gunman Opens Fire in Paris
2 dead, 4 injured in Friday shooting at a Kurdish cultural center
- Two people are dead and four others are injured, including two people in critical condition, after a shooting in Paris on Friday. A gunman opened fire at the Ahmet-Kaya Kurdish cultural center near the Château d'Eau metro station,
reported, per the
. "It's total...
Only One US City
Makes Top 10
Dec 17, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Only One US City Makes Top 10 Travel Destinations
New York squeaks in at No. 10 on Euromonitor International's list; Paris comes in at No. 1
- Recovery from the pandemic for the travel industry is a work in progress, but inbound arrivals around the world increased by more than 80% this year in terms of numbers of trips, CNN notes. That means people are breaking out their passports again, and some cities are drawing travelers in...
As Trial Begins on Fatal
Flight 447, a Big First in France
Oct 10, 2022 6:54 AM CDT
As Trial Begins on Fatal Flight 447, a Big First in France
Air France and Airbus are first French companies to face trial there after a plane crash
- Thirteen years after Air France Flight 447 plunged into the Atlantic Ocean during its journey from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, a nine-week manslaughter trial is finally beginning. Reuters reports that the trial starting Monday in the French capital is the first time that companies in that nation have faced...
Doctor Who First Helped Diana
in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
Aug 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Doctor Who First Helped Diana in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
As 25th anniversary approaches, Frederic Mailliez speaks about the night of the fatal 1997 accident
- The woman was crumpled on the floor of a mangled Mercedes, unconscious and struggling to breathe. The French doctor had no idea who she was and focused on trying to save her. Twenty-five years later, Frederic Mailliez is still marked by what happened in the Alma Tunnel in Paris on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.