Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Launch Major Attacks
Aug 30, 2023 6:13 AM CDT
Ukraine, Russia Launch Major Attacks
2 die during Russian bombardment of Kyiv as Ukraine destroys transport aircraft in Pskov
- Russian officials on Wednesday accused Ukraine of launching what appeared to be the biggest nighttime drone attack on Russian soil since the war began 18 months ago. The Kremlin's forces also hit Kyiv during the night with what Ukrainian officials called a "massive, combined attack" that killed two...
Ukraine Drone Reportedly
Blows Hole in Russian Ship
Aug 4, 2023 11:18 AM CDT
Ukraine Drone Reportedly Blows Hole in Russian Ship
Russia doesn't acknowledge damage, claims to have repelled Ukrainian attack on Novorossiysk
- Russia's defense ministry says it has repelled a Ukrainian drone attack on its naval base in the Russian port of Novorossiysk on the Black Sea. What it didn't say Friday was that a Russian naval ship, Olenegorsky Gornyak, suffered a hit that left it badly damaged, according to...
Russia: We Foiled Ukrainian
Drone Attack on Moscow
Jul 4, 2023 6:11 AM CDT
Russia: We Foiled Ukrainian Drone Attack on Moscow
Airport had to be temporarily closed as 5 drones were taken out
- Russian air defenses on Tuesday foiled a Ukrainian drone attack on Moscow that prompted authorities to briefly close one of the city's international airports, reports the AP , as a Western analysis said Russia has managed to slow Kyiv's recently launched counteroffensive. The drone attack, which follows previous similar...
Drones Strike Moscow at Dawn
May 30, 2023 6:48 AM CDT
Drones Strike Moscow at Dawn
Russia blames Ukraine, which denies 'direct involvement,' but was 'pleased to watch'
- Russia says Ukraine sent at least eight drones to Moscow in an early morning "terrorist attack." There were no serious injuries and only minor damage to buildings reported Tuesday, the BBC reports, noting Ukraine has denied involvement. Russia said all drones were intercepted. "Three of them were...
Rare Daytime Strikes Send
Kyiv Residents Fleeing
May 29, 2023 2:33 PM CDT
Rare Daytime Strikes Send Kyiv Residents Fleeing
Bombardment follows what Ukraine calls largest drone attack since Russia invaded
- Russia surprised Ukraine with a rare daytime missile attack on Kyiv on Monday, sending residents from the streets to bomb shelters. Air raid sirens went off just before 11am,
the New York Times
reports, and video posted later by Ukrainian officials showed children wearing their backpacks screaming and running to...
Menacing Sound Becoming
All Too Familiar in Ukraine
Oct 17, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Menacing Sound Becoming All Too Familiar in Ukraine
Buzzing from kamikaze drones precedes more attacks Monday in Kyiv
- Russia unleashed more attacks on the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv on Monday, this time solely with kamikaze drones made by Iran . While some were shot down, at least five successful strikes caused major damage to buildings and infrastructure and at least three deaths, said Mayor Vitaly Klitschko. Drones are being...
Drones Light Up
Russian Oil Refinery
Jun 22, 2022 12:14 PM CDT
Drones Light Up Russian Oil Refinery
Officials blame 'terrorist actions' across the border in Ukraine
- Two drones allegedly controlled by Ukraine crashed into a major Russian oil and gas refinery on Wednesday, setting the place ablaze. Footage shared by Russian state media showed black smoke pouring from the Novoshakhtinsk Refinery OAO in the Rostov district, about 5 miles from the border with eastern Ukraine, as...
Drone Explodes in Croatia,
3 Nations Away From War Zone
Mar 12, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Drone Explodes in Croatia, 3 Nations Away From War Zone
Flight path went through Romania and Hungary
- Croatian officials criticized NATO on Saturday for what they said was its slow reaction to a Soviet-era military drone that apparently flew from the Ukrainian war zone through the airspace of three NATO member states, before crashing in the Croatian capital. The Russian-made unmanned aircraft crossed Romania and Hungary before...
New Video Shows
US Drone Strike
That Killed 7 Kids
Jan 20, 2022 8:31 AM CST
New Video Shows US Drone Strike That Killed 7 Kids
'We deeply regret the loss of life,' says US Central Command rep
- The Pentagon has released video footage of last year's botched drone strike in Kabul, Afghanistan, which killed 10 civilians, seven of them children. In two silent videos obtained by the
New York Times
through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, two drones observe a car backing into a walled...
Dec 13, 2021 5:14 PM CST
Pentagon Won't Punish Anyone for Civilian Deaths
10 people were killed in Kabul after US commanders decided aid worker was with ISIS-K
- The Pentagon won't discipline any US personnel involved in the mistaken drone strike that killed 10 civilians in Afghanistan in August. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin accepted recommendations on the issue that did not include punishment, press secretary John Kirby said Monday. The recommendations from two commanders were mostly procedural,...
'The Strike Was
a Tragic Mistake'
Sep 17, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
'The Strike Was a Tragic Mistake'
Pentagon says Kabul strike in August killed only civilians, no terrorists
- The Pentagon retreated from its defense of a drone strike that killed multiple civilians in Afghanistan last month, announcing Friday that an internal review revealed that only civilians were killed in the attack, not an Islamic State extremist as first believed. “The strike was a tragic mistake," Marine...
Evidence Raises Questions
About US Drone Strike
Sep 11, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Evidence Raises Questions About US Drone Strike
Driver could have been putting canisters of water, not explosives, in his vehicle
- Video footage and interviews in Kabul have raised questions about the Pentagon's account of the final, fatal US drone attack of the Afghanistan war. The drone struck a vehicle in a residential neighborhood on Aug. 29 that the military said carried explosives and was "an imminent ISIS-K threat"...
US Drone Hits Vehicle Taking
Suicide Bombers to Airport
Aug 29, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
US Drone Hits Vehicle Taking Suicide Bombers to Airport
Secondary blasts indicate a load of explosives, officials say
- A US drone strike on a vehicle killed suicide bombers on their way to the Kabul airport on Sunday, Pentagon officials said. US officials said the attack eliminated "an imminent ISIS-K threat," the
New York Times
reports. According to initial reports, no civilians were injured, a spokesman said,...
Americans in Saudi
Capital: 'Stay Alert'
Jan 23, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Embassy to Americans in Saudi Capital: 'Stay Alert'
Kingdom claims missile or drone interception in Riyadh, maybe launched by Yemen's Houthi rebels
- Saudi Arabia said Saturday it intercepted an apparent missile or drone attack over its capital, Riyadh, amid the kingdom's yearslong war against neighboring Yemen's Houthi rebels. Social media users posted video of what appeared to be an explosion in the air over Riyadh. Saudi state TV quoted authorities...
Jan 22, 2021 2:14 PM CST
Confusion Abounds Over Tweet Showing 'Golfing Trump'
Twitter suspended 'fake' Khamenei account over apparent threat, but Iranian leader's site has the pic
- Log onto the website of Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and an unusual photo appears on the homepage: a graphic representation of a man who appears to be Donald Trump, playing golf in a red shirt. Look more closely, however, and the image turns more ominous, with the...
US Killing of Iran General
Seen as 'Major Escalation'
Jan 3, 2020 7:00 AM CST
US Killing of Iran General Seen as 'Major Escalation'
Embassy tells all US citizens to leave Iraq
- The killing of top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani in a US airstrike Thursday night is widely being described as a "game changer"—and a major escalation in the Middle East. Gen. Soleimani, head of the elite Quds Force, was killed along with Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis...
Pompeo: It's Iran's Fault
Sep 14, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
Pompeo: It's Iran's Fault
The Secretary of State points a finger after drone strike in Saudi Arabia
- Forget Yemen. This was all Iran. That was the Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's take Saturday after drone attacks struck Saudi Arabian oil facilities and choked half the country's crude production, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Pompeo tweeted that it was "an unprecedented attack on the world'...
Amnesty: US Is Killing
Civilians in Somalia
Mar 20, 2019 5:08 AM CDT
Amnesty: US Is Killing Civilians in Somalia
Pentagon disputes report
- There is credible evidence that US military airstrikes in Somalia have killed or wounded nearly two dozen civilians, an international human rights group said Tuesday, charging that the Pentagon is not adequately investigating potential casualties. US Africa Command officials immediately disputed the allegations laid out in a report by Amnesty...
on Drone Strike Deaths
Mar 7, 2019 8:00 AM CST
Trump Nixes Obama-Era Order on Drone Strike Deaths
Administration says move gets rid of 'superfluous' mandates
- The CIA has since 2016 been obligated to put out yearly summaries of how many drone strikes the US has carried out, as well as how many civilian deaths outside of war zones that those strikes caused. But NBC News reports no such report came last year, as was required...
Man Sues After Drones
Kill His Relatives
Dec 14, 2016 4:45 PM CST
Man Sues After Drones Kill His Relatives
His appellate court hearing made history
- In August 2012, a US drone strike in Yemen killed two innocent men, and the US should apologize for their deaths, according to a historic lawsuit filed by Yemeni engineer Faisal bin Ali Jaber. Jaber, who wants the drone strike that killed his family members Ahmed Salem Bin Ali Jaber...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.