Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fungal Attacks Could
Imperil Food Supply,
May 3, 2023 5:01 PM CDT
Fungal Attacks Could Imperil Food Supply, Researchers Warn
Rising temperatures are exacerbating the problem
- Fungal disease is likely to become a greater global danger, especially to the food supply, say researchers who caution that inaction could result in a health catastrophe. Researchers issued an urgent warning about fungi, which destroy more crops than any other cause, in an article published Tuesday in
Fungal Infection Kills
Plant Worker in Michigan
Apr 16, 2023 6:45 AM CDT
Fungal Infection Kills Plant Worker in Michigan
Dozens more are sickened at paper mill
- A contract worker at a northern Michigan paper mill has died from a fungal infection that has forced the business to temporarily close for deep cleaning. The death was announced Friday by public health officials in Delta and Menominee counties, who said the worker died as a result of blastomycosis...
Fungus Jumps to
Human in a First
Apr 5, 2023 3:12 PM CDT
Nasty Plant Fungus Jumps to Human in a First
Indian man fully recovered after silver leaf infection, which is not fully understood
is a killer in the world of plants. Better known as silver leaf, the fungus infects woody brush, turning leaves silver as it separates their layers, and is a particular pain for rose growers. It also became a major pain for an Indian man, who's become the...
CDC: 'Killer Fungus'
Spreading at 'Alarming Rate'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 25, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
CDC: 'Killer Fungus' Spreading at 'Alarming Rate'
The yeast Candida auris is now in more than half of the nation's states, scientists say
- More than six years ago, news of a newly discovered drug-resistant "killer fungus" started making the rounds in the US, and scientists hoped to "contain and stop the spread" of it. Now, a concerning development, as the CDC notes that the possibly fatal fungus has been charging through...
Mar 7, 2023 11:54 AM CST
Keanu Reeves, Fungus-Fighting Machine?
Scientists name chemical compounds that fight fungal infections after the butt-kicking actor
- The cordyceps fighters in
The Last of Us
could definitely use some Keanu Reeves—not the tough heroes he plays in
, but a trio of fungus-killing chemical compounds that have now been named after the actor. Per CNN , a study was published earlier this...
Blamed for Fungus
Coating Tennessee County
Mar 2, 2023 10:34 AM CST
Jack Daniel's Blamed for Fungus Coating Tennessee County
Barrelhouse construction halted over lack of permits in Lincoln County
- Construction on a Jack Daniel's whiskey barrel warehouse in Tennessee has been halted after a woman complained about an ugly fungus coating her property, which neighbors six other Jack Daniel's barrelhouses. The crusty black stuff is whiskey fungus, or
, which can grow on a variety of...
Last of Us
Is Real, Just Not for Humans
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 4, 2023 6:30 AM CST
Last of Us
Zombie Fungus Is Real, Just Not for Humans
Ants and other insects are indeed susceptible to a gruesome fate
- The premise of the popular HBO series
The Last of Us
—based on a video game of the same name—is that humans get infected by a fungus that turns them into zombies. The good news, of course, is that no such fungus exists, notes NPR . The bad news is...
These 19 Fungi Are a
Major Risk to Human Health
Oct 26, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
These 19 Fungi Are a Major Risk to Human Health
World Health Organization releases its first list of these 'priority pathogens'
- The World Health Organization already has lists of the viruses and bacteria that pose the greatest risk to human health. Now, a new list from the UN agency, this one dedicated to threatening fungi. Reuters reports the 19 fungi on the WHO's radar—including
, which the CDC...
You May Have
Aug 28, 2022 7:13 AM CDT
You May Have Drug-Resistant Fungus in Your Lungs
Aspergillus is only problematic for some people, but it's growing increasingly drug resistant
- "You live on Earth and breathe, you’re going to get Aspergillus in your lungs," a professor of medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham tells NBC News . On its face, that's not concerning: Most of us inhale the fungus, whose spores are found in dirt...
First Cases of
Detected in Louisiana
Jan 19, 2022 1:58 PM CST
First Cases of Superbug Fungus Detected in Louisiana
'I equate it to the tip of the iceberg,' doctor says of Candida auris find
- A hospital in New Orleans says it has identified two patients infected with a rare, drug-resistant fungus—the first time it's been found in Louisiana.
has already been found in Washington, DC, and at least 20 other states including Georgia, Florida, and Texas, according to the Centers...
2 US Cities
Jul 23, 2021 7:25 AM CDT
Superbug Fungus Spreading in 2 US Cities
CDC says drug-resistant 'Candida auris' is moving from person to person in Dallas and DC
- US health officials said Thursday they now have evidence of an untreatable fungus spreading in two hospitals and a nursing home, per the AP . The "superbug" outbreaks were reported in a Washington, DC, nursing home and at two Dallas-area hospitals, the CDC reported. A handful of the patients had...
This Fungus Kills Off Coffee.
Scientists Just Woke It Up
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
This Fungus Kills Off Coffee. Scientists Just Woke It Up
Researchers wanted to see how Fusarium xylarioides functions to prevent future outbreaks
- Enjoy a steaming mug of Arabica or robusta in the morning? Give a high-five, then, to the scientists that have "reanimated" a fungus that kills off those varieties of coffee trees. It may sound counterintuitive, but researchers from Imperial College London have done just that, resurrecting cryogenically frozen samples...
Fungus Takes Over
May 22, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Fungus Takes Over Cicada Brains, Replaces Genitals
Massospora uses amphetamine to turn infected insects 'hypersexual'
- Some luckless cicadas are emerging from 17 years underground intent on mating, only to have their brains hijacked and their genitals replaced by a fungus that infects them just before they surface. The
fungus replaces the lower part of the cicada's body with a "white plug of...
Cancer: a 'Fungal Invasion'
Oct 4, 2019 9:54 AM CDT
Driving Pancreatic Cancer: a 'Fungal Invasion'
Scientists say fungi move from gut to pancreas, significantly increase in number, spur tumor growth
- An organ once deemed "sterile" may actually be teeming with fungi, and certain varieties there may be promoting cancer. New research in the journal
notes that even though it's already known bacteria is able to move from the gut to the pancreas, it wasn't clear whether...
Deadliest Pathogen in History
Is Taking a Toll on Frogs
Mar 29, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
Deadliest Pathogen in History Is Taking a Toll on Frogs
Fungus has wiped out 90 species of amphibians and caused decline in 500 more
- Biologist Wendy Palen says "it now earns the moniker of the most deadly pathogen known to science." She's referring to an amphibian fungus responsible for wiping out at least 90 species in recent decades, reports the
New York Times
. It's called Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis or Bd, and...
By This New Measure,
Plants Rule the Earth
May 22, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
By This New Measure, Plants Rule the Earth
They outweigh all other life on the planet, by a mile
- A first-of-its-kind study reveals that humans make up a minuscule portion of life on the planet. As in 0.01%, reports the
. The flip side of that? Despite the scant figure, humans have reshaped the animal kingdom, helping wipe out about 83% of mammals and half of all plants...
They Flew Across the World
on a Failed Quest for a Banana
Dec 25, 2017 8:29 AM CST
They Flew Across the World on a Failed Quest for a Banana
Inside the search for the Cavendish banana's successor
- The Cavendish banana—that's the kind sitting in your kitchen right now—is "almost perfect," a scientist with Dole Food Co. tells the
Wall Street Journal
. Well, "laments," is the word the paper uses. That's because, as has been reported for the past couple...
Feared US Outbreak of Fatal
Fungus Confirmed: CDC
Mar 10, 2017 1:29 PM CST
Feared US Outbreak of Fatal Fungus Confirmed: CDC
35 cases so far of 'Candida auris' yeast infection, which is drug-resistant
- The CDC warned American hospitals last year to keep an eye out for the emergence of a possibly fatal, drug-resistant yeast infection, and now the agency's fears may be realized. CDC officials tell the
that 35 patients in the US have been stricken with
The Dark Underworld
Feb 10, 2017 2:59 PM CST
The Dark Underworld of Competitive 'Shroom-Hunting
Often-obsessive hobby can result in fatalities from poisoning, falls—even murder
- What drives someone to head deep into the woods and spend hours foraging for fungi? Writing for Eater , the appropriately-named Joshua Hunt examines the seemingly obsessive quest for some of the world's rarest mushrooms. There's
, or "
," for instance, which just one living person...
NY Factory Turns
Fungus Into Furniture
Nov 14, 2016 12:05 AM CST
NY Factory Turns Fungus Into Furniture
They're making footstools from toadstools
- The sturdy stools and spongy cushions made at an upstate New York factory are formed with fungus. Ecovative Design is a business staking its growth on mycelium, the thread-like "roots" of mushrooms, the AP reports. The mycelium grows around small pieces of stalks and stems to create a material...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.