Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
F1 Racing's Powerful Draw:
Nov 19, 2023 5:05 AM CST
F1 Racing's Powerful Draw: Big-Name Musicians
Entertainers have embraced the Formula One series
- Beyond the engineering, the athleticism, the speed, the luxury—fans love the sound of Formula One. The fierce rhythms of a V6 turbocharged hybrid engine; the sticky staccato of a rushed downshift; sexy, loud zooms. There's a real musical appreciation for the elite motorsport, per the AP . Engines are...
Decided to Race.
It Didn't End Well
Sep 5, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
Lamborghini Drivers Decided to Race. It Didn't End Well
Driver of one of the luxury cars is detained by California cops after slamming into innocent victim
- The driver of a Lamborghini hit an innocent driver while racing another Lamborghini, sending himself to the hospital, and the police on the hunt for the second Lamborghini driver. KTLA reports that the incident took place around 6:30pm local time on Friday in Murrieta, California, in Riverside County, on...
'Miracle' No One Is Hurt
During Indy 500 Crash
May 29, 2023 6:11 AM CDT
'Miracle' No One Is Hurt During Indy 500 Crash
Tire flew off Kyle Kirkwood's car before it flipped during race, barely missing crowd
- "Talk about a miracle." That was one take after a terrifying crash and car flip during the Indianapolis 500 auto race that sent a tire from one of the competitors' cars sailing over spectators' heads. Fox News reports there were fewer than 20 laps left in Sunday's...
Sister of Death Row Inmate
Makes Plea to Race Car Driver
Dec 2, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Sister of Death Row Inmate Makes Plea to Race Car Driver
She asks Lewis Hamilton to use his clout to free her sibling in Saudi Arabia
- The sister of a man who was sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia is asking seven-time Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton to help save her brother's life. Zeinab Abu Al-Kheir told the AP in a telephone interview that Hamilton's declaration two weeks ago in Qatar that F1 is...
Indy 500 Sells Out
All 135K Tickets
May 28, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Indy 500 Sells Out All 135K Tickets
Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be at 40% capacity for Sunday's race
- If anyone was worried that COVID safety protocols would keep fans away from the Indy 500, they needn't have been. Fox News reports that every one of the 135,000 tickets that was up for grabs for Sunday's race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been scooped up, meaning...
An Auto Racing Legend Is Gone
May 3, 2021 12:16 PM CDT
An Auto Racing Legend Is Gone
Three-time Indy 500 winner Bobby Unser dead at 87
- Bobby Unser, a three-time Indianapolis 500 winner and part of the only pair of brothers to win “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” has died at age 87, per the AP . He died Sunday at his home in Albuquerque, New Mexico, of natural causes, the Indianapolis Speedway said Monday. Unser...
135K Set to Attend Biggest
Sporting Event Since Pandemic
Apr 22, 2021 2:11 PM CDT
135K Set to Attend Biggest Sporting Event Since Pandemic
Indy 500 is set for Memorial Day weekend, with 40% of venue capacity allowed to attend
- The Indianapolis 500 is set to be the largest sporting event in the world since the start of the pandemic, with 135,000 spectators permitted to attend the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" next month. Indianapolis Motor Speedway said Wednesday it worked with the Marion County Public Health Department to...
Jul 4, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
NASCAR Champ Jimmie Johnson Tests Positive for COVID
He'll miss first race of Cup career after finding out he has coronavirus
- Jimmie Johnson was all set to race in Sunday's Brickyard 400 in Indianapolis, but he's now pulled out, for good reason: The seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion has contracted COVID-19. "My first priority is the health and safety of my loved ones and my teammates," the...
NASCAR Agrees With
Its Lone Black Driver on Flag
Jun 10, 2020 4:53 PM CDT
NASCAR Agrees With Its Lone Black Driver on Flag
'No one should feel uncomfortable' at a race, Bubba Wallace had said
- It's time for NASCAR to prohibit fans from waving Confederate flags at its races, said Bubba Wallace, the sport's sole black driver. On Wednesday, the organization agreed. "There should be no individual that is uncomfortable showing up to our events to have a good time with their...
NASCAR Does Something
It Hasn't Done Since 1984
May 21, 2020 4:29 AM CDT
NASCAR Does Something It Hasn't Done Since 1984
Hamlin won rain-shortened Wednesday race
- Denny Hamlin won NASCAR's first Wednesday race since 1984 when rain stopped the event with 20 laps remaining at Darlington Raceway in South Carolina. The race marked the first time in NASCAR history that the Cup Series had two points-paying races at the same track in one week. The...
This Could Be First Live
Sporting Event in a Month
Apr 23, 2020 7:01 AM CDT
This Could Be First Live Sporting Event in a Month
Hundreds to gather in SD for weekend motor races
- In what is perhaps the first live sporting event in a month in the US, hundreds of people are set to gather for motor races this weekend in South Dakota. That state lacks a stay-at-home order, and two Jefferson tracks will welcome race-lovers. The Park Jefferson Speedway, with a capacity...
NASCAR Driver Suspended
Indefinitely After Virtual Race
Apr 13, 2020 4:47 PM CDT
NASCAR Driver Suspended Indefinitely After Virtual Race
Kyle Larson used racial slur during iRacing event
- The race was virtual, but the consequences of using a racial slur are very real for NASCAR driver Kyle Larson. The 27-year-old has been suspended without pay by his team, Chip Ganassi Racing, and suspended indefinitely by NASCAR for using the N-word during an iRacing tournament livestreamed on Twitch Sunday...
Apr 10, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
'Cannonball' Record Allegedly Broken During Pandemic
Not cool, fellow illegal racers say
- The "Cannonball Run" record has allegedly been broken—but the culprits aren't getting much respect, even from fellow illegal racers. With roads largely empty and much of the country locked down, a team of three or four racers claims to have made it from New York City's...
Formula One Official
Drivers to Coronavirus
Mar 31, 2020 1:46 AM CDT
Formula One Official Suggests Exposing Drivers to Coronavirus
He says the idea 'was not accepted positively'
- With motorsport halted by the coronavirus pandemic, a top racing official in Europe has suggested that drivers pass the time by becoming infected with the coronavirus. Helmut Marko, an adviser to the Formula One team Red Bull, told Austrian public broadcaster ORF that drivers could get together to build immunity...
Indy 500 Rescheduled
for First Time Ever
Mar 27, 2020 1:16 AM CDT
Indy 500 Rescheduled for First Time Ever
Race will honor health workers on new date
- The Indianapolis 500 was postponed Thursday and won't run on Memorial Day weekend for the first time since 1945. The race will instead be held Aug. 23, three months later than its May 24 scheduled date, the AP reports. "The month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway...
What Happened to Me
Feb 23, 2020 2:30 PM CST
Newman: Here's What Happened to Me
The NASCAR driver says he's currently being treated for a head injury
- Ryan Newman said he suffered a head injury in his crash on the last lap of the Daytona 500 but did not disclose details in a statement from the driver read before Sunday's race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, the AP reports. "I was fortunate to avoid any...
Driver Hospitalized After
Horrific Daytona 500 Crash
Feb 18, 2020 1:07 AM CST
Driver Hospitalized After Horrific Daytona 500 Crash
Ryan Newman is in serious condition but will survive, team says
- Ryan Newman is in serious condition with life-threatening injuries after a fiery crash that left Daytona 500 spectators wondering whether the event had suffered its first fatality since 2001. The 42-year-old driver was less than 100 yards from the finish line on the final lap Monday when he was bumped...
What Critics Think
Ford v. Ferrari
Nov 15, 2019 10:53 AM CST
What Critics Think About
Ford v. Ferrari
Expect a thrill ride
- The true story of Ford's effort to show up Ferrari at an epic 24-hour auto race in France in 1966 is retold in
Ford v. Ferrari
, James Mangold's latest film starring Matt Damon as auto designer Carroll Shelby and Christian Bale as the man he recruits to drive...
Investigators Reveal Cause of
Crash That Killed Jessi Combs
Nov 6, 2019 3:12 AM CST
Investigators Reveal Cause of Crash That Killed Jessi Combs
Wheel failed at speed of around 550mph
- Investigators say wheel failure at speeds approaching 550mph caused the crash that killed "the fastest woman on four wheels." Professional racer and
cast member Jessi Combs, 39, died on Aug. 27 while driving a 52,000 horsepower North American Eagle jet car across a dry lake bed...
Race Car Driver Dead
in Terrifying Crash
Aug 31, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
Race Car Driver Dead in Terrifying Crash
Anthoine Hubert, RIP
- French driver Anthoine Hubert has died in a Formula Two accident at the Belgian Grand Prix, the AP reports. The 22-year-old Hubert died following an estimated 160mph collision on Lap 2 at the high-speed Spa-Francorchamps track, which earlier Saturday saw qualifying for Sunday's Formula One race. (See the terrifying...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.