Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Throws Out Lawsuit
Sep 5, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Judge Throws Out Lawsuit Over
Spencer Elden plans appeal after court finds statute of limitations had expired
- A lawsuit brought by Spencer Elden, who appeared as a naked infant in the cover photo for Nirvana's
album in 1991, has been dismissed by a California judge. That's happened before , and Elden appealed. His lawyers told CNN on Friday that they'll appeal this decision, as...
Iconic Kurt Cobain Guitar
Sells for Staggering Price
May 23, 2022 1:27 AM CDT
Iconic Kurt Cobain Guitar Sells for Staggering Price
Electric guitar from 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' video went for $4.5M
- The electric guitar Kurt Cobain used in the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" music video was auctioned Sunday, and the iconic instrument sold for the staggering sum of $4.5 million. That's quite a bit more than the pre-auction estimate of $600,000,
reports. After a bidding war,...
Is Still Suing
Jan 14, 2022 1:56 AM CST
After Hiccup, 'Nirvana Baby' Is Still Suing
Spencer Elden meets judge's deadline to file amended lawsuit
baby," now a 30-year-old man, is still suing Nirvana over the iconic album cover. Spencer Elden's complaint was dismissed earlier this month on a technicality, and late Wednesday Elden's legal team filed an amended complaint to reinstate the claims,
We Might Change Cover of
Oct 6, 2021 1:50 AM CDT
We Might Change Cover of Nirvana's
Spencer Elden sued, leading to drummer's statement
The 30-year-old who was once the baby that appears on the iconic cover for Nirvana's
album says the naked image of him is "child porn," and now Dave Grohl says the cover might change as a result. "I have many ideas of how we...
The Moment I Met
Kurt Cobain, I Knew
Oct 2, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
The Moment I Met Kurt Cobain, I Knew
Writer Michael Azerrad remembers their friendship, his sense the singer would die young
- There's no shortage of adjectives that could be used to describe Michael Azerrad's deep dive into his friendship with Kurt Cobain for the
: insightful, tender, moving, painful, eye-opening, honest. Azerrad met the singer and Courtney Love in 1992 while on assignment for
, and he...
Then It 'Shook
Sep 24, 2021 11:18 AM CDT
Changed Seattle. Then It 'Shook the World'
Kurt Cobain widow Courtney Love, Dave Grohl, others mark 30th anniversary of Nirvana's hit album
- It was the album that helped catapult grunge and the Seattle music scene onto the national stage. Now, on the 30th anniversary of the release of Nirvana's
, the band's second studio album, frontman Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, talks to the
Los Angeles Times
FBI Quietly Releases
File on Kurt Cobain
May 9, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
FBI Quietly Releases File on Kurt Cobain
The slim file, only 10 pages, is available online
- Kurt Cobain has now been gone for as long as he was alive. The rock legend was 27 when he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound 27 years ago, on April 5, 1994. And for almost all 27 of those years, conspiracy theories have circulated around his death. Get ready...
Smashes World Record
Jun 21, 2020 5:10 AM CDT
Guitar Smashes World Record
It fetched $6M at Beverly Hills auction
- The guitar Kurt Cobain played during Nirvana's legendary
performance less than five months before his death sold for $6 million Saturday, obliterating the record set last year by the sale of Pink Floyd member David Gilmour's iconic black Stratocaster. Gilmour's guitar went for $3.95...
A Big Milestone
for an Iconic Song
Dec 26, 2019 12:34 PM CST
A Big Milestone for an Iconic Song
'Smells Like Teen Spirit' now has 1B views on YouTube
- It came along well before YouTube even existed, but Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" has nonetheless just cracked a milestone on the site. The 1991 song has now been viewed 1 billion times, reports Loudwire . The grunge anthem wasn't uploaded to YouTube until June of 2009, notes...
Come as You Are: Unwashed
Cobain Cardigan Fetches $334K
Oct 27, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Come as You Are: Unwashed Cobain Cardigan Fetches $334K
Late singer wore the sweater when Nirvana recorded 'Unplugged' album
- It is, as the BBC puts it, a "stained, cigarette-burned cardigan unwashed in nearly three decades," and had you been a little more on top of the situation, it could have been yours for $334,000 on Saturday. The olive green, mohair cardigan in question commanded such a...
Washed, Is Up
Oct 9, 2019 2:26 PM CDT
Cobain's Iconic Sweater, Never Washed, Is Up for Auction
Nirvana frontman wore the cardigan during MTV Unplugged performance
- The iconic cardigan Kurt Cobain wore during Nirvana's
performance is going up for auction again. The green sweater already sold for $137,500 through Julien’s Auctions in 2015, and is going back on the auction block Oct. 25—when it's expected to fetch up to...
Check to Kurt Cobain
Is Smaller Than You Think
Sep 6, 2019 11:01 AM CDT
Uncashed Royalty Check to Kurt Cobain Is Smaller Than You Think
It was for $26, just before the Nirvana made it big
- A record store owner in Seattle has stumbled on papers that belonged to the late Kurt Cobain before he became a household name. Matt Vaughan of Easy Street Records bought a collection of Nirvana's tour itineraries back in 1993 but it wasn't until last week that he found...
Paper Plate That
Once Held Kurt
Sells for $22K
May 24, 2019 7:15 AM CDT
Paper Plate That Once Held Kurt Cobain's Pizza Sells for $22K
Plate with Nirvana set list that Cobain scrawled on the back is 'a piece of history'
- On April 23, 1990, Nirvana's Kurt Cobain enjoyed a slice of pre-show pizza, then scribbled a set list on the back of the paper plate the pizza once sat on. Someone has now purchased that plate, its black-marker scrawl intact, for a whole lot of money. Julien's Auctions...
Proof Cobain Was Ahead of His
Time: Read His Liner Notes
Apr 5, 2019 9:33 AM CDT
Proof Cobain Was Ahead of His Time: Read His Liner Notes
He instructed racists, homophobes, and sexists not to be Nirvana fans
- The last time Nirvana manager Danny Goldberg saw Kurt Cobain, the musician was "really stoned"—as might be expected at an intervention. Seven or eight people had gathered to plead with the Nirvana frontman to enter treatment for heroin addiction. Cobain was "not happy, and feeling invaded,...
on Cobain's 50th
Feb 21, 2017 8:59 AM CST
Frances Bean Leads Tributes on Cobain's 50th
Daughter left Nirvana frontman a handwritten note on Instagram
- It's hard to reconcile the image of grunge rocker with AARP membership eligibility, but what would've been Kurt Cobain's 50th birthday arrived Monday, and the internet proved it hadn't forgotten about the Nirvana frontman. The Washington state native—who once called his sleepy hometown of Aberdeen...
Old Reel on eBay Yields
2 New Nirvana Recordings
Jun 24, 2016 9:12 AM CDT
Old Reel on eBay Yields 2 New Nirvana Recordings
One might feature Kurt Cobain on drums
- A Nirvana fan has unearthed a previously unreleased seven-track recording on eBay from 1993, just before the band recorded its third and final studio album,
. The label on the reel includes the date and "Pachyderm Studios," where it was recorded, reports Alternative Nation , which notes that...
Is Tossed Out
Aug 1, 2015 1:04 PM CDT
Lawsuit Seeking Kurt Cobain Death Photos Is Tossed Out
Conspiracy theorist vows to try again
- Graphic photos of Kurt Cobain's death won't be released to the public, at least for now. A judge yesterday dismissed the lawsuit of a conspiracy theorist who insists that the images should be released because they'll prove Cobain was murdered, reports Reuters . Cobain's widow and daughter,...
Epic Find: Photos
Jul 23, 2015 10:58 AM CDT
Epic Find: Photos of Nirvana's First Concert
Pictures from nearly 30 years ago surface on Twitter
- Most teens don't find music history in their dad's stuff, but Maggie Poukkula's dad is Seattle musician Tony Poukkula, who was a friend of Kurt Cobain. Her find? Photos of Nirvana's first concert, performed by then 20-year-old Cobain and his new band in March 1987 in...
to See If Love
Jun 24, 2015 10:15 AM CDT
Ex-Cop: I'd Reopen Case to See If Love Killed Cobain
Former Seattle chief thinks new movie's conspiracy theory should be fleshed out
- Conspiracy theories have long swirled around the 1994 death of Kurt Cobain, but the latest film documentary about the Nirvana frontman has Courtney Love filing cease-and-desist letters and the ex-police chief of Seattle saying he'd reopen the case if he were still in charge,
9 Big Music Feuds
Nov 8, 2014 1:30 PM CST
9 Big Music Feuds
Even Taylor Swift gets into them
- One of the songs on Taylor Swift's hugely popular
is reportedly about Katy Perry—"Bad Blood," which includes the lyrics "Did you think we'd be fine? / Still got scars on my back from your knife," is rumored to be about Perry "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.