Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
lost and found
Stranger With Metal Detector
Rescues Her Heirloom Ring
Aug 21, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Stranger With Metal Detector Rescues Her Heirloom Ring
Francesca Teal lost wedding ring in New Hampshire
- A Massachusetts woman's diamond wedding ring, a family heirloom, is back on her finger after a man with a metal detector responded to her social media plea for help and found it at the bottom of the ocean, per the AP . Francesca Teal told the
Jul 10, 2022 7:40 AM CDT
Longshot Ending: Diver Finds Woman's Diamond Ring
Firefighter in Cambridge, Massachusetts, spotted it on bottom of Charles River
- What could be harder than looking for a needle in a haystack? Maybe retrieving a ring from a river. But against all odds, divers with the Cambridge Fire Department in Massachusetts managed to fish a woman's diamond ring from the Charles River after it tumbled into the water while...
Check Your Uber for
Tater Tots, Metal Legs, Slime
Jun 7, 2022 11:21 AM CDT
Check Your Uber for Tater Tots, Metal Legs, Slime
Those are just some of the odd items left behind in the company's vehicles last year
- If you've ever left something behind in a cab—or, these days, in a ride-hailing vehicle—you're not alone. It's not uncommon for drivers to discover the phones, keys, wallets, or purses that customers forgot in the back seat, especially in Austin, Texas, the most forgetful city...
Missing Dog Turns Up
On Local TV News Show
Jul 31, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Missing Dog Turns Up On Local TV News Show
Station helps reunite Wisconsin man with his missing pet
- A Wisconsin man forgot to turn off his TV before bed and it changed his life. The man, identified only as Dwight, woke up to his local news station’s Adopt-a-Pet segment. An announcer was describing a little brown dog’s underbite when Dwight glanced at the TV and...
Found: His Wallet
Half a Century Ago
Feb 5, 2021 10:41 AM CST
Found: His Wallet From Antarctica Half a Century Ago
Former Navy forecaster Paul Grisham gets a surprise in the mail
- Paul Grisham lost his wallet so long ago, in 1968, that he couldn't actually remember losing it, let alone remember what was in it. Luckily, he's been reunited with the brown leather billfold—and a recipe for homemade Kahlua—after it turned up in Antarctica. Grisham, a 91-year-old...
Story of $22K Missing Flute
Has (Mostly) Happy Ending
Feb 5, 2021 9:51 AM CST
Story of $22K Missing Flute Has (Mostly) Happy Ending
Boston musician Donald Rabin lost it in on Chicago train, but a homeless man found it
- As lost-and-found stories go, this one has more drama than usual. Last Friday, flutist Donald Rabin got off a train in Chicago and realized he had left behind his $22,000 gold and silver flute, reports the
. The instrument had sentimental as well as practical value, as his...
10 Oddest Things
Left Behind in an Uber
Mar 12, 2020 8:13 AM CDT
10 Oddest Things Left Behind in an Uber
Not surprising: phones. Maybe a little surprising: a bubble machine
- If you've ever left something behind in a cab or an Uber, you'll be able to commiserate with the forgetful folks who've made it onto Uber's 2020 Lost & Found Index . The company released its fourth annual list on Tuesday, detailing some of the most common...
Waiter Runs After Customer
Who Left $424K Check Behind
May 10, 2019 2:52 PM CDT
Waiter Runs After Customer Who Left $424K Check Behind
Retiree's down payment on a home was still on her table
- A waiter returned a cashier's check worth nearly $424,000 to the retired social worker who lost it. And he didn't even get a tip. Armando Markaj found a bank envelope while cleaning off a table last Saturday at Patsy's restaurant in East Harlem, the AP reports....
She Lost Her Ring in 2004.
It Just Showed Up on a Carrot
Aug 16, 2017 10:14 AM CDT
She Lost Her Ring in 2004. It Just Showed Up on a Carrot
Canada's Mary Grams says it still fits
- Mary Grams pulled a weed on her family farm in Alberta, Canada, in 2004 and lost her engagement ring in the process. All these years later, the ring has turned up, incredibly, on a carrot, reports the CBC . It seems her daughter-in-law plucked the lucky carrot from the ground, and...
Lost Wallet Found—
After Nearly 60 Years
Apr 18, 2017 4:58 PM CDT
Lost Wallet Found— After Nearly 60 Years
The wallet fell out of a drainpipe six stories off the ground
- Good news: The wallet lost by Isolde Zitzewitz in a Washington state Bon Marche has been found. Bad news: The wallet appears to have been lost nearly 60 years ago, the Bon Marche is long gone, and Zitzewitz died in 2009. The wallet-turned-time capsule was discovered by a construction crew...
10 of the Oddest Things
Ever Left in an Uber
Mar 30, 2017 11:03 AM CDT
10 of the Oddest Things Ever Left in an Uber
How do you forget an elf cut-out?
- A cellphone? Sure. But a lobster? That's just one of the odd things left behind in an Uber—and there are plenty, according to the company's Lost and Found Index published Wednesday. It notes that small items like wallets, keys, and phones are among the most commonly forgotten...
Couple Returns $10K Cash
Found in Shopping Cart
Oct 20, 2016 4:58 PM CDT
Couple Returns $10K Cash Found in Shopping Cart
'I'm just ever so grateful that there are people like that'
- It's good to know 2016 hasn't killed good old American decency quite yet. The
reports a couple who found nearly $10,000 in a shopping cart Monday in upstate New York returned the cash with absolutely no expectation of a reward. The cash—$9,800 in...
May 21, 2016 3:00 PM CDT
Coachella's Digital Lost-and-Found Is Massive
51 cellphones, 73 pairs of glasses, 601 IDs, and so much more
- Approximately 99,000 people attended Coachella every day during the California music festival's six-day run last month, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. When you combine that many people with drugs, sun, and the power of music, you're going to get more than a few lost pairs of sunglasses....
Jul 24, 2014 10:16 AM CDT
Stranger Returns Mark Ruffalo's Lost Wallet
'Another point for the decency in people,' Ruffalo tweets
- Mark Ruffalo has a new hero: a stranger by the name of Ross McHale. Ruffalo apparently lost his wallet in Chicago last week while in town to serve as a grand marshal at a race at Chicagoland Speedway,
reports, and McHale just happened to find it. Though he didn'...
Turned In at
Lost and Found:
$6.3M Lotto Ticket
Sep 18, 2013 6:03 AM CDT
Turned In at Lost and Found: $6.3M Lotto Ticket
Unclaimed prize was won last year
- Talk about a good deed: A very kind man turned a winning lotto ticket in to Spanish officials rather than taking the money for himself. Now, lottery bosses are trying to find the winner of the $6.27 million prize, which dates back to last year; it was never claimed,...
11 Worst Things Ever Lost
don't worry, iphone guy
Apr 21, 2010 11:19 AM CDT
11 Worst Things Ever Lost
Don't worry, iPhone guy, it's not just you
- The drunk Apple engineer who left his iPhone prototype in a bar shouldn’t feel
bad: At least he didn’t lose, say, blueprints for the H-bomb like one physicist did. The Daily Beast lists 11 other famously misplaced items:
: Once again, alcohol is to blame. A
Lost Coat May Lead to Lawsuit
why people hate lawyers
Mar 5, 2010 11:19 AM CST
Lost Coat May Lead to Lawsuit
Absentminded lawyer threatens Houston, airline, food court management
- Bill Ogletree liked his black leather coat enough to pay $800 for it, but not enough to remember it when he finished eating pizza in the Houston airport and boarded a flight to Las Vegas. So he's threatening to sue the city, Continental Airlines, and the company that manages the...
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.