Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawsuit Blames Stanford
for Soccer Star's Suicide
Nov 24, 2022 10:59 AM CST
Lawsuit Blames Stanford for Soccer Star's Suicide
Katie Meyer's family says notice of disciplinary action caused 'acute stress reaction'
- "The actions that led to the death of Katie Meyer began and ended with Stanford University," according to a wrongful death lawsuit from the family of the star soccer goalie, who died by suicide earlier this year. Meyer's parents are suing the university and several administrators, blaming...
Slams White House:
'Jamal Died Again'
Nov 18, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Khashoggi Fiancee Slams White House: 'Jamal Died Again'
State Dept. backs immunity for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman
- Mohammed bin Salman has repeatedly insisted he had nothing to do with the 2018 murder of
journalist Jamal Khashoggi despite American intelligence officials determining otherwise. Now the Saudi Arabian crown prince may be off the hook in a lawsuit brought by Khashoggi's fiancee, Hatice Cengiz, reports Reuters...
Petito Family Settles
Lawsuit for $3M
Nov 17, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Petito Family Settles Lawsuit for $3M
Negligence case against killer's family is still scheduled for next year
- A judge in Florida on Thursday awarded the family of Gabby Petito $3 million in a wrongful death suit filed against the estate of her killer. The settlement heads off a trial scheduled for next month in the case filed by the slain woman's parents, Joseph Petito and Nichole...
Court Hears Case of Woman
Stabbed 20 Times in 'Suicide'
Nov 17, 2022 1:30 AM CST
Court Hears Case of Woman Stabbed 20 Times in 'Suicide'
Ellen Greenberg's parents may soon take their case to trial
- After more than a decade fighting the Philadelphia medical examiner's office on their daughter's cause of death, lawyers for Ellen Greenberg's parents made their case in front of a Pennsylvania appeals court Tuesday. "We are cautiously optimistic that the panel will find the estate of Ellen...
the 'Cat's Paws'
Nov 15, 2022 6:40 AM CST
Trump Re-Ups Fight Against the 'Cat's Paws' of Twitter
Former president files lawsuit in appeals court regarding his ban on social media platform
- Elon Musk has previously said he would lift former President Trump's Twitter ban, and now it looks as if it might be just a matter of time before that happens. Trump doesn't seem to want to wait for the social media platform's answer on that, however: On...
Jan. 6 Subpoena
Nov 12, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Trump Fights Jan. 6 Subpoena With 41-Page Complaint
Lawsuit likely means former president won't testify before House committee before it disbands
- There were hints last month that, under certain conditions, Donald Trump might agree to testify before the House panel investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, but it appears now that's not his plan. Axios reports the former president filed a lawsuit Friday to block the subpoena issued by the...
Trump Fights to Retain Control
of Company With New Suit
Nov 3, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Trump Fights to Retain Control of Company With New Suit
He's seeking to block watchdog review of Trump Organization's financial dealings
- Former President Donald Trump filed a lawsuit Wednesday accusing New York Attorney General Letitia James of breaking the law while waging a "war of intimidation and harassment" against him. James, who's up for reelection, sued Trump, his children, and the Trump Organization for $250 million in September , alleging...
He Broke His Shin,
Ended Up in a
Nov 2, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
He Broke His Shin, Ended Up in a Vegetative State
Simple leg surgery went terribly wrong for Texas man, whose family was awarded $21M
- Just over five years ago, engineering student Carlos David Castro Rojas, then 27 years old, went into Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas for surgery on a fractured shin. He has been in a vegetative state since, unable to communicate or perform simple tasks like feeding himself. A jury has...
Woman Sues After Arrest:
City Has 'Criminalized Kindness'
Oct 28, 2022 7:15 AM CDT
Woman Sues After Arrest: City Has 'Criminalized Kindness'
Norma Thornton violated ordinance in Bullhead City, Ariz., by feeding homeless people
- An elderly Arizona woman is the first person to be arrested under a city ordinance after she shared food with people in need in a public park—and the first now to sue her hometown over that ordinance, per the AP . Norma Thornton, a 78-year-old retired restaurant owner, was arrested...
Lawmaker Sues Over Photo of
Campaign Manager's Erection
Oct 26, 2022 1:26 PM CDT
Lawmaker Sues Over Photo of Campaign Manager's Erection
Florida Rep. Jackie Toledo alleges sexual harassment by Fred Piccolo
- A Florida lawmaker accuses her former campaign manager, a high-profile Republican strategist in the state, of sending her "unwanted, unsolicited, inappropriate, and grossly offensive" texts in a sexual harassment lawsuit filed Monday. The suit filed in Hillsborough County by Republican state Rep. Jackie Toledo includes various images that she...
Her Voter Fraud Conviction
Caused Uproar. Now, She Sues
Oct 26, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Her Voter Fraud Conviction Caused Uproar. Now, She Sues
Pamela Moses accuses Tennessee, DA's office of wrongful conviction, humiliation
- A Tennessee activist who received a six-year prison sentence for trying to register to vote while on felony probation is believed to be the first person to sue prosecutors after her case was thrown out, per the
. Pamela Moses, convicted of illegal voter registration in November, was incarcerated for...
Jury Backs Spacey
in Sexual Assault Trial
Oct 20, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Jury Backs Spacey in Sexual Assault Trial
Panel deliberates less than 90 minutes in suit brought by fellow actor
- A Manhattan jury found Kevin Spacey not liable Thursday for battery in a sexual abuse lawsuit brought by a fellow actor. The panel of six men and six women deliberated for less than 90 minutes, NBC News reports. When the verdict was read in court, Spacey hugged one of his...
Afghan Couple Sues:
US Marine Stole Our Baby
Oct 20, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
Afghan Couple Sues: US Marine Stole Our Baby
US court granted Joshua Mast custody of a foreign citizen, whose relatives allege fraud
- US Marine Corps attorney Joshua Mast and his wife, Stephanie, say they "acted admirably" in adopting a young war orphan from Afghanistan. But an Afghan couple tells a very different story, saying Mast stole the child—a relative they gained custody of after her parents and siblings were killed...
Lawyer: Trump Was 'Pleased
to Set Record Straight'
Oct 20, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Lawyer: Trump Was 'Pleased to Set Record Straight'
He answered questions under oath in deposition lawsuit
: Former President Trump sat for a deposition Wednesday in the defamation lawsuit brought by writer E. Jean Carroll. The deposition was taken at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, CNN reports. Lawyers representing Carroll, who accuses Trump of raping her in a New York City department store in the...
Judge OKs False-Advertising
Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Oct 19, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
Judge OKs False-Advertising Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Class-action plaintiffs have beef with Barilla's 'Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta'; product is made in NY, Iowa
- "Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta" isn't as Italian as it sounds. That's the crux of a class-action lawsuit against Barilla that a federal judge this week ruled could proceed, meaning the company will have to face the plaintiffs' allegations that it engaged in false or...
the Big Lie'
Oct 6, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
Trump: CNN Should Have to 'Prove the Big Lie'
Ex-president says network will 'never be able to prove' his claims on election fraud are false
- Former President Trump filed a defamation suit against CNN this week, accusing it of trying to smear him "for the purpose of defeating him politically." Now, Trump has issued the cable network a challenge. "Prove the big lie," Trump said Wednesday during an appearance on "...
Trump Sues CNN for $475M
Oct 3, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Trump Sues CNN for $475M
Suit says network tried to smear him with 'scandalous, false, and defamatory labels'
- Donald Trump has made good on his threat to sue CNN. In a suit filed in federal court in Monday, the former president's lawyers said the network had attempted to smear him "with a series of ever-more scandalous, false, and defamatory labels of 'racist,' 'Russian...
11 Suits in Mass Shooting
Filed Against Smith & Wesson
Sep 28, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
11 Suits in Mass Shooting Filed Against Smith & Wesson
Filings are centered on gun-maker's marketing of weapon
- Survivors of the mass shooting at a suburban Chicago Independence Day parade and family members of those killed filed 11 lawsuits Wednesday against the manufacturer of the rifle used in the attack, accusing gun-maker Smith & Wesson of illegally targeting its ads at young men at risk of committing mass...
Suit: She Gave Birth on
Jail Cell Floor as Staff Laughed
Sep 28, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Suit: She Gave Birth on Jail Cell Floor as Staff Laughed
Jazmin Valentine alleges she was ignored during her 6-hour labor
- A woman who said she was left to give birth to her baby alone on the dirty, concrete floor of her jail cell in Maryland filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday alleging that jail nurses ignored her screams and pleas for help for six hours. Jazmin Valentine alleges some nurses working...
Lawsuit Seeks to Block
Biden Loan Forgiveness Plan
Sep 27, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Lawsuit Seeks to Block Biden Loan Forgiveness Plan
Plaintiff argues that he'll be forced to pay state income tax on forgiven debt
- President Biden's student loan debt forgiveness plan is being challenged by a lawsuit seeking to block it just before it can take effect. In the lawsuit filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana Tuesday, public interest lawyer Frank Garrison argues that he will be...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.