Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nuns' Response to 'Heinous
Gun Crimes': a Lawsuit
Dec 7, 2023 1:37 PM CST
Nuns' Response to 'Heinous Gun Crimes': a Lawsuit
They're shareholders, and they're suing Smith & Wesson for sales of assault weapons
- A group of Catholic nuns is suing Smith & Wesson, demanding the gunmaker stop selling assault weapons that have "no purpose other than mass murder." The nuns representing four congregations in Michigan, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Oregon bought up shares in the company before suing in what they dub...
Suit Blames Panera's Charged
Lemonade for Another Death
Dec 6, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Suit Blames Panera's Charged Lemonade for Another Death
Lawsuit says Florida man drank 3 of the highly caffeinated beverages before his death
- A second lawsuit has been filed against Panera Bread over the restaurant chain's Charged Lemonade, which has now been blamed for two deaths. The new lawsuit says a 46-year-old Florida man died while walking home from a Panera after having had three servings of the highly caffeinated beverage, the...
After Long Fight, Google
Workers Due $20 Apiece
Dec 5, 2023 11:38 AM CST
After Long Fight, Google Workers Due $20 Apiece
Settlement is the culmination of a 2016 lawsuit filed over 'evil' workplace policies
- Google will pay $27 million to settle a lawsuit alleging it silenced employees through "evil" and illegal policies. It's "the largest agreement of its kind," per Semafor . But it's "a drop in the bucket" for Google, whose parent company "turned almost $20 billion...
Water Was Safe.
Now, a Lawsuit
Dec 4, 2023 9:12 AM CST
They Thought Their Drinking Water Was Safe. Now, a Lawsuit
Wisconsin city of Wausau sues PFAS makers, insurance firms over groundwater contamination
- A Wisconsin city has filed a lawsuit against more than a dozen manufacturers of so-called forever chemicals, claiming the contaminants have polluted the city's groundwater. The complaint filed Thursday on behalf of Wausau is against 15 makers of PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances), as well as 61 insurance companies,...
Bad News Part II
for Trump on Legal Front
Dec 2, 2023 7:00 AM CST
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
After decision on claims of presidential immunity in civil case, judge in DC criminal case rules similarly
- An appeals court on Friday rejected former President Donald Trump's request to dismiss a set of civil lawsuits against him due to what he claimed was presidential immunity on things he did and said after the 2020 election. Later that day, Judge Tanya Chutkan similarly rebuffed Trump's claims...
Tesla's Latest Lawsuit Targets
Swedish Postal Workers
Nov 28, 2023 11:15 AM CST
Tesla's Latest Lawsuit Targets Swedish Postal Workers
Automaker says that striking postal workers in Scandinavian nation are delaying license plates
- Tesla on Monday filed a lawsuit against the Swedish state via Sweden's Transport Agency as striking postal workers in the Scandinavian country halted the delivery of license plates of new vehicles manufactured by the Texas-based automaker. Tesla is nonunionized globally, but the Swedish workers are demanding that the carmaker...
Nov 27, 2023 3:30 AM CST
Contestants Threaten Lawsuit
Contestants on Netflix's spin-off game show say they suffered injuries while filming
- Contestants on
Squid Game: The Challenge,
Netflix's spin-off reality competition show based on the mega-hit series from South Korea, say they were harmed while filming and are threatening the streaming company and producers of the show with a lawsuit. Two contestants say that while filming in cold weather in...
Jewish Doctor Fired for
Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Nov 24, 2023 2:54 PM CST
Jewish Doctor Fired for Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Dr. Benjamin Neel accuses NYU Langone of wrongful termination, religious discrimination
- Pilots , journalists , professors , and doctors have been fired or otherwise disciplined for comments supporting and condemning Israel's offensive in Gaza, and now, in what will add to a nationwide debate over what's considered protected speech amid the Israel-Hamas war, one doctor is suing in response. Dr. Benjamin...
Jury Finds Egg Producers
Conspired to Reduce Supply
Nov 23, 2023 11:16 AM CST
Jury Finds Egg Producers Conspired to Reduce Supply
Defendants included Rose Acre Farms, the family company of Senate candidate John Rust
- An Illinois jury ruled this week that several major egg producers conspired to limit the country's supply of eggs in order to raise prices in a case stemming from a federal lawsuit originally filed 12 years ago, per the AP . Kraft Foods, the Kellogg Company, General Mills, and Nestle...
Suit: Oil Giant Owes $900M
to Enslaved People's Heirs
Nov 22, 2023 2:42 PM CST
Suit: Oil Giant Owes $900M to Enslaved People's Heirs
Financier Kneeland Youngblood sues ConocoPhillips amid Texas land dispute
- Kneeland Youngblood, co-founder of private-equity firm Pharos Capital Group, acknowledges a victory in his $900 million lawsuit against one of America's largest oil companies wouldn't change his life. But "for many of my relatives it could be transformative," the Dallas-based investor fighting for recognition of his...
One Day After Suit Against
Combs, a Resolution
Nov 18, 2023 7:00 AM CST
One Day After Suit Against Combs, a Resolution
Hip-hop mogul, R&B singer Cassie say they've reached a settlement 'amicably'
- A day after R&B singer Cassie filed a federal complaint against hip-hop mogul Sean Combs (aka Diddy, aka Puff Daddy), accusing Combs of rape, physical abuse, and sex trafficking over their decadelong relationship, the two arrived at a settlement, reports the AP . In a Friday statement sent by Douglas...
Nov 16, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Tiger Woods' Ex-Girlfriend Abandons Lawsuits
Erica Herman's filing says she never accused golf star of abuse
- Erica Herman has dropped her lawsuits against Tiger Woods, one of which had sought $30 million. Her lawyer filed a brief notice in a Florida court last week saying Herman is voluntarily dismissing the suit against the trust that owns Woods' mansion "with prejudice," which prevents the case...
Suit: Schwarzenegger Drove
'Wrongfully and Recklessly'
Nov 16, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Suit: Schwarzenegger Drove 'Wrongfully and Recklessly'
Woman involved in 2022 multivehicle accident in LA says actor is to blame for her injuries
- Arnold Schwarzenegger has been making headlines recently for his apparent romantic dalliances with one or more women, but TMZ has a new scoop involving something entirely different: a multivehicle accident that the former California governor was caught up in early last year. The outlet reports that the 76-year-old politician and...
Suit: Barbie Maker Reneged
on Promise of Big Donation
Nov 15, 2023 3:09 PM CST
Suit: Barbie Maker Reneged on Promise of Big Donation
UCLA Foundation says Mattel should pay the full $49M that was pledged
- The UCLA Mattel Children's Hospital bears the name of the company that donated $25 million to support the hospital's construction in 1998. But Mattel and the UCLA Foundation are now at odds over what the latter claims is the toymaker's decision to renege on a much larger...
Suit: American Airlines
Lost My Kids
Nov 9, 2023 12:00 PM CST
Suit: American Airlines Lost My Kids
Mother says 2 sons were left to sleep in room 'akin to a jail cell' after their flight was scrapped
- A mother who paid a $150 fee for American Airlines to escort her two minor sons on a 1,000-mile trip is suing the airline she claims lost the boys. Amber Vencill says American promised that her sons—variously described as 10 and 12 and 12 and 14—would enjoy...
Publisher of Meadows Memoir
Wants Its Money Back
Nov 4, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
Publisher of Meadows Memoir Wants Its Money Back
All Seasons Press sues ex-White House chief of staff, accusing him of lying about the 2020 election
- As he remains tied to legal wranglings regarding multiple cases against former President Donald Trump, Mark Meadows now has a new issue to contend with—an irate publisher. Insider reports that on Thursday, All Seasons Press pulled
The Chief's Chief
, the memoir penned by the former White House chief...
Over Midair Scare
Nov 3, 2023 2:52 PM CDT
Passengers Sue Alaska Airlines Over Midair Scare
Filing criticizes screening procedures for crews after off-duty pilot had to be subdued
- The off-duty pilot who prosecutors say tried to crash an Alaska Airlines flight faces attempted murder charges , and the airline is now being taken to court, as well. Three people who were passengers on Flight 2059 from Everett, Washington, to San Francisco filed a class-action suit on Thursday saying they...
Former Teen Model
Says Steven Tyler
Sexually Assaulted Her
Nov 3, 2023 9:32 AM CDT
Former Teen Model Says Steven Tyler Sexually Assaulted Her
She files lawsuit over alleged abuse in 1975
- A former teen model filed a lawsuit against Steven Tyler on Thursday, alleging that the Aerosmith frontman sexually assaulted her in the summer of 1975, when she was 17 and he was a decade older. In the lawsuit filed in New York, Jeanne Bellino says Tyler assaulted her twice in...
Suit: United Staffs
Dodgers' Charters With
Young, White Blondes
Nov 2, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Suit: United Staffs Dodgers' Charters With Young, White Blondes
2 longtime flight attendants accuse airline of race, age discrimination
- Two United Airlines flight attendants are suing their longtime employer, whom they allege discriminates against employees based on race, national origin, religion, and age. The plaintiffs claim they were demoted from the airline's sports team charter program—a highly coveted position in which flight attendants can earn double or...
Jury Awards $7.1M to Woman
Burned by Cooking Spray
Nov 2, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Jury Awards $7.1M to Woman Burned by Cooking Spray
Attorney says this case is just one of many against Conagra Brands involving 'defective' cans
- A jury in Illinois has ordered Chicago-based Conagra Brands to pay $7.1 million to a Pennsylvania woman who was badly injured in 2017 when a can of commercial brand cooking spray ignited in a kitchen at her workplace and set her aflame. The verdict, issued Monday in favor of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.