Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Patti Davis: Bruce Willis'
Diagnosis 'Rips Your Soul Apart'
Feb 24, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Patti Davis: Bruce Willis' Diagnosis 'Rips Your Soul Apart'
Ronald Reagan's daughter compares his reveal on Alzheimer's to Willis family's reveal on dementia
- Bruce Willis' recently revealed diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia, a blanket term for a rare group of disorders caused by progressive nerve cell loss in the brain's frontal lobes, shocked and saddened many. One of those now reacting to the news: Patti Davis, daughter of the late Ronald and Nancy...
Robert McFarlane Admitted
Guilt in Iran-Contra Scandal
May 13, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Robert McFarlane Admitted Guilt in Iran-Contra Scandal
Reagan's national security adviser fell into despair when the scheme unraveled
- Robert McFarlane, a national security adviser to President Ronald Reagan who pleaded guilty to four counts in the Iran-contra scandal, has died. He was 84. The son of a congressman, McFarlane was a lieutenant colonel in the Marines and decorated combat veteran of the Vietnam War before serving in congressional...
Apologizes to Jodie Foster
Sep 28, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
John Hinckley Apologizes to Jodie Foster
As Ronald Reagan's daughter speaks out on possibility of release
- After a judge granted him unconditional release next June assuming he remains mentally stable, would-be Ronald Reagan assassin John Hinckley issued a number of apologies for the 1981 shooting. In addition to the American people, Reagan, and the three other people who were injured, Hinckley apologized to Jodie Foster, whom...
John Hinckley Can Get
Sep 27, 2021 11:09 AM CDT
John Hinckley Can Get Unconditional Release
Judge says Reagan's shooter can go without supervision in June if he stays mentally stable
- A federal judge said Monday that John Hinckley Jr., who tried to assassinate President Reagan four decades ago, can be freed from all his remaining restrictions next year if he remains mentally stable. US District Court Judge Paul L. Friedman in Washington said during a 90-minute court hearing that he'...
Mother of Would-Be
Reagan Assassin Dies
Aug 3, 2021 2:33 PM CDT
Mother of Would-Be Reagan Assassin Dies
Jo Ann Hinckley raised funds for mental health research and education
- Jo Ann Hinckley—mother of John Hinckley Jr., the would-be assassin of President Reagan—has died. The 95-year-old had been her son’s constant and primary companion as he transitioned in 2016 from living at a Washington psychiatric hospital to being allowed to live with her full-time in a gated...
a Fear About
Jun 10, 2021 12:49 PM CDT
Reagan's Daughter Has a Fear About Alzheimer's Drug
What if Aduhelm keeps people in an awful state of limbo, asks Patti Davis
- Ronald Reagan's daughter is raising a concern about Aduhelm , the first new drug approved to treat Alzheimer's in nearly 20 years. In an essay at
, Patti Davis recalls the "heartbreaking" early stages of her father's disease. He would struggle to come up with a...
Nancy Reagan's Sway
May Be Unappreciated
May 16, 2021 2:01 PM CDT
Nancy Reagan's Sway May Be Unappreciated
Karen Tumulty's book lays out her role in shaping Ronald Reagan's legacy
- They called Ronald Reagan the Teflon President because nothing stuck to him. By contrast, they should have called Nancy Reagan the Velcro First Lady, writes Karen Tumulty in the
Wall Street Journal
. In an excerpt of her book
The Triumph of Nancy Reagan
, Tumulty ticks off a handful to the...
Biden's Moves May Mark
End of the Reagan Era
Apr 3, 2021 3:55 PM CDT
Biden's Moves May Mark End of the Reagan Era
Pundits see a fundamental shift, or at least an attempt at one, by the new White House
- A common theme is emerging in coverage about President Biden from political observers on the left and right: His plans to dramatically expand the scope of the government—witness his $1.9 trillion COVID package and his $2.3 trillion infrastructure proposal—might just mark the definitive end of the...
Peers Respected the 'Calm
and Unselfish' George Shultz
Feb 7, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Peers Respected the 'Calm and Unselfish' George Shultz
Longtime secretary of state cut landmark nuclear arms treaty with Soviets
- Former Secretary of State George Shultz, a titan of American academia, business and diplomacy who spent most of the 1980s trying to improve Cold War relations with the Soviet Union and forging a course for peace in the Middle East, has died. He was 100. Shultz died Saturday at his...
Ronald Reagan Got It.
Trump Still Doesn't
Oct 5, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Ronald Reagan Got It. Trump Still Doesn't
No. 40's daughter Patti Davis argues that Trump needs to tell the truth about his health
- Ronald's Reagan's daughter is following the news from Walter Reed hospital, and she doesn't like what she sees. "When you're president, privacy is not an option—including, and maybe especially, privacy about your health," writes Patti Davis in the
. "Instead of...
John Hinckley Jr. Wants to
Move to CA, Work in Music Biz
Sep 10, 2019 6:22 PM CDT
John Hinckley Jr. Wants to Move to CA, Work in Music Biz
So says his lawyer at Washington court hearing
- The man who tried to assassinate President Ronald Reagan is interested in getting a job in the music industry, possibly in California, his lawyer said at a court hearing in Washington on Tuesday. John Hinckley Jr., 64, lives in Virginia and was not present at the hearing. A prosecutor said...
Aug 2, 2019 2:19 PM CDT
Reagan's Daughter Addresses His Racist Words
Future president's comments were recorded in a call with Nixon
- Ronald Reagan's daughter says there's no defense for the newly revealed racist comments he made in 1971. Patti Davis doesn't recognize the person who said those things, she says, and she wouldn't have believed he had if his words hadn't been recorded on tape . But...
Signed It 32 Years Ago.
Now, a Dead Deal
Aug 2, 2019 12:35 PM CDT
Reagan, Gorbachev Signed It 32 Years Ago. Now, a Dead Deal
US and Russia both walked away Friday from arms control treaty; US to test new missile
- The United States plans to test a new missile in coming weeks that would have been prohibited under a landmark, 32-year-old arms control treaty that the US and Russia ripped up on Friday. Washington and Moscow walked out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty that President Reagan and Soviet leader...
Racist Line Now
Jul 31, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Ronald Reagan's Racist Line Now Released
The then-California governor called Africans at UN 'monkeys' in 1971 call with Nixon
- A racist statement made by Ronald Reagan in October 1971 is now grabbing headlines thanks to a piece for the
written by Tim Naftali, and the words are explosive: "To see those, those monkeys from those African countries—damn them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes!" Reagan...
Ronald Reagan Library
Reveals New Holograms
Oct 11, 2018 12:10 AM CDT
Ronald Reagan Library Reveals New Holograms
They may be taking a road trip to DC
- A characteristic twinkle in his eye, Ronald Reagan waves to a crowd from aboard a rail car in a hologram revealed Wednesday at the late president's namesake library in Southern California. "We think we made a good beginning, but you ain't seen nothin' yet!" the digital...
a New No. 1
Jul 12, 2018 10:50 AM CDT
In Presidential Rankings, There's a New No. 1
Nearly half of all Americans say No. 44 was best president of their lives in Pew survey
- Ask Americans who the best president has been in their lifetimes, and one man ranks significantly above all others—though he didn't always. Barack Obama won the top spot in the Pew Research Center survey, based on phone interviews with 2,000 US adults during the week of June...
Roy Moore's Hopes Dashed
by Bugs Bunny and Jesus
Jan 1, 2018 6:05 PM CST
Roy Moore's Hopes Dashed by Bugs Bunny and Jesus
22,000 write-in votes helped push Doug Jones into the Senate
- On Wednesday Vice President Mike Pence will officially welcome Doug Jones into the U.S. Senate, bringing to an end one of the strangest and most controversial elections in recent memory, the Hill reports. And while Jones' former opponent, Roy Moore, is still refusing to concede the race, Alabama state...
John Hinckley Is
Is He 'Better'?
Mar 22, 2017 4:48 PM CDT
John Hinckley Is Back Home With Mom—but Is He 'Better'?
Lisa Miller's take for Daily Intelligencer shows why that's a tough question to answer
- The man who tried to kill Ronald Reagan to impress actress Jodie Foster was released from a mental facility in September after nearly 35 years, and now that he's home (under rigid limitations) with his nonagenarian mom in Williamsburg, Va., 61-year-old John Hinckley Jr. is trying to rebuild his...
Reagan's Would-be Assassin
Is Officially a Free Man
Sep 10, 2016 2:19 PM CDT
Reagan's Would-be Assassin Is Officially a Free Man
John Hinckley Jr. released from psychiatric hospital Saturday
- After 35 years in a psychiatric hospital, John Hinckley Jr. is a free man. The
reports the would-be assassin of Ronald Reagan was released Saturday from St. Elizabeth's psychiatric hospital after a judge ruled in August that the 61-year-old was no longer a threat to the public or...
Reagan Daughter: 'My Heart
Is Sickened' Over Hinckley
Jul 28, 2016 9:19 AM CDT
Reagan Daughter: 'My Heart Is Sickened' Over Hinckley
Patti Davis says her father's would-be assassin waited out the system
- After John Hinckley Jr. received a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity for shooting Ronald Reagan more than three decades ago, Reagan daughter Patti Davis recalls Dan Rather explaining on CBS News that Hinckley could well become a free man some day. Well, "some day" has arrived—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.