Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Merrick Garland Names
Special Counsel on Trump
Nov 18, 2022 1:59 PM CST
Merrick Garland Names Special Counsel on Trump
DOJ's Jack Smith will oversee inquiries into Mar-a-Lago documents, 2020 election
(Updated with new information throughout.)
A big move from Attorney General Merrick Garland on Friday: He named a special counsel to oversee the Justice Department's investigation into the presence of classified documents at former President Trump's Florida estate as well as key aspects of a separate probe...
13 Face US Charges
in Chinese Spy Cases
Oct 24, 2022 4:38 PM CDT
13 Face US Charges in Chinese Spy Cases
Plots include recruitment of agents, interference with prosecution, Garland says
- Attorney General Merrick Garland announced charges Monday against 13 people in three cases of Chinese spying or efforts to exert illegal influence in the US. Two of those facing criminal charges are Chinese intelligence officers who, the Justice Department said, paid a US government employee for confidential information in an...
There's Enough Evidence to
Charge Hunter Biden: Agents
Oct 6, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
There's Enough Evidence to Charge Hunter Biden: Agents
Decision on prosecution is up to a Trump appointee
- Four years into the investigation, federal agents say they have assembled enough evidence to justify charging Hunter Biden with crimes. The evidence concerns tax crimes and a statement connected to the purchase of a gun, the
reports. The decision on whether to prosecute President Biden's son falls...
Trump: US 'Temperature
Has to Be Brought Down'
Aug 15, 2022 12:24 PM CDT
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
He tells Fox he'll help do so, continues to denounce FBI's 'scam' search
- Donald Trump spoke to Fox News Digital Monday and said the FBI search of his Mar-a-Lago residence has triggered levels of anger in the country he's never before seen. The "temperature has to be brought down," he said, per Fox News . The former president pledged to help...
Everyone Is Saying the Same
Thing About Merrick Garland
Aug 12, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
Everyone Is Saying the Same Thing About Merrick Garland
He 'called Trump's bluff' with move to unseal Mar-a-Lago search warrant
- After Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Thursday that he was seeking to unseal the search warrant justifying Monday's search of former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estates, numerous outlets, including CNN , the
, Politico , and the
New York Times
, had very similar headlines about him "calling Trump'...
Garland: I 'Personally
Approved' Mar-a-Lago Search
Aug 11, 2022 2:32 PM CDT
Garland: I 'Personally Approved' Mar-a-Lago Search
Attorney General asks court to unseal the warrant
- Attorney General Merrick Garland delivered his first public comments since Monday's surprise search of Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence by federal agents, though he shed little immediate light on the reasons behind it. Garland did, however, say that he "personally approved" the decision to a seek a search...
New Breonna Taylor Charges
Involve Secret Garage Meeting
Aug 4, 2022 11:57 AM CDT
New Breonna Taylor Charges Involve Secret Garage Meeting
4 former or current Louisville police officers are charged in botched deadly raid
- The botched police raid that resulted in the death of Breonna Taylor has led to federal charges against four current and former Louisville officers. "Breonna Taylor should still be alive," Attorney General Merrick Garland said Thursday in announcing the charges, per the AP . Three of those charged—former...
Jun 25, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Experts say it's unclear whose policy would prevail, so the courts may decide
- Despite the Supreme Court's decision on abortion rights, Attorney General Merrick Garland has told the states the Department of Justice will "work tirelessly to protect and advance reproductive freedom," starting with preserving access to abortion pills. Garland noted in a statement Friday, issued after the court's...
Democrats: Justice Department
Could Look at Indicting Trump
Jun 12, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Democrats: Justice Department Could Look at Indicting Trump
There's enough evidence, Jan. 6 panel members
- Democratic members of the House committee holding hearings on the attack on the Capitol said Sunday there's sufficient evidence for the Justice Department to consider indicting former President Donald Trump. "I would like to see the Justice Department investigate any credible allegation of criminal activity on the part...
After DC Event
Apr 6, 2022 5:17 PM CDT
List Grows of Officials Testing Positive After DC Event
Garland, Raimondo, Schiff, and Castro all attended Gridiron Dinner last weekend
- Gathering so many top government officials for an evening of nonpartisan satire and laughter might have been dangerous. Members of Congress and the Cabinet have tested positive for the coronavirus since Saturday's Gridiron Dinner, an annual white-tie event in Washington. Attorney General Merrick Garland added his name to the...
Put Unruly Passengers on
'No-Fly' List, Airline Urges
Feb 5, 2022 5:05 PM CST
Put Unruly Passengers on 'No-Fly' List, Airline Urges
Delta asks attorney general to blacklist convicted customers
- Delta Air Lines has asked Attorney General Merrick Garland to establish a federal "no-fly" list and to put any passenger convicted of disrupting a flight on it. "This action will help prevent future incidents and serve as a strong symbol of the consequences of not complying with crew...
Jan 27, 2022 1:44 PM CST
This SCOTUS Confirmation May Be Relatively Tame
Things could change depending on nominee, but Democrats appear to have a clear path
- Fights over recent Supreme Court nominees have set off political fireworks, but the upcoming one to fill the seat of Stephen Breyer isn't expected to be as dramatic. Much could change, of course, depending on the person selected, but an assessment by Politico suggests that leading conservative groups are...
Task Force Brings First Case
on Threats to Election Workers
Jan 21, 2022 5:12 PM CST
Task Force Brings First Case on Threats to Election Workers
Indictment says Texas man wanted to 'put a bullet' in Georgia official
- A Craigslist post saying "it's time to put a bullet" in a Georgia elections official has resulted in the indictment of a Texas man, prosecutors say. Chad Christopher Stark was charged Friday, CNN reports. The indictment says Stark posted the threat on Jan. 5, the day before the...
Garland: Feds Are Building
More Complex Jan. 6 Cases
Jan 5, 2022 7:10 PM CST
Garland: Feds Are Building More Complex Jan. 6 Cases
He says perpetrators at all levels are being pursued
- A day before the anniversary of the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, Attorney General Merrick Garland vowed to protect America's democratic institutions and said the people responsible for the attack will face justice whether they were present at the Capitol or not. "The Justice Department remains committed to holding...
Only 3 Federal
Most in US
Dec 27, 2021 8:18 AM CST
Only 3 Federal Officials Viewed Favorably by Most in US
John Roberts, the Fed's Jerome Powell, and Anthony Fauci
- Gallup put the names of 11 federal officials in front of Americans in a new survey, and only three registered positive ratings from the majority of respondents. The clear No. 1 was Supreme Court Justice John Roberts (60%), followed by Fed chief Jerome Powell (53%) and Dr. Anthony Fauci...
Garland Announces Suit to
Throw Out Texas Abortion Law
Sep 9, 2021 2:51 PM CDT
Garland Announces Suit to Throw Out Texas Abortion Law
New state legislation is 'in open defiance of the Constitution,' filing says
- The Justice Department is suing Texas over its new state law prohibiting most abortions, arguing that it was enacted "in open defiance of the Constitution." The lawsuit, filed Thursday in federal court in Texas, asks a federal judge to declare that the law is invalid, "to enjoin...
AG on Texas
'We Will Not
Sep 6, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
AG on Texas Abortion Move: 'We Will Not Tolerate Violence'
Merrick Garland says DOJ will enforce FACE Act to protect women's constitutional right to abortion
- The Justice Department said Monday that it won't tolerate violence against anyone who's trying to obtain an abortion in Texas as federal officials explore options to challenge a new state law that bans most abortions. Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department would "protect those seeking...
Phoenix Police Also Are In
for a Federal Investigation
Aug 5, 2021 5:06 PM CDT
Phoenix Police Also Are In for a Federal Investigation
Garland announces third review of a city's law enforcement activities
- The US Justice Department is launching a widespread probe into the police force in Phoenix to examine whether officers have been using excessive force and abusing people experiencing homelessness. The investigation into the City of Phoenix and the Phoenix Police Department is the third sweeping civil investigation into a law...
After Wave of 13
Federal Executions, a Halt
Jul 2, 2021 12:45 AM CDT
After Wave of 13 Federal Executions, a Halt
Department of Justice reviewing policies
- After the Trump administration restarted federal executions following a 17-year hiatus, Donald Trump oversaw 13 executions —more than any US president since the 1800s, Reuters reports. (Those executions also included the first woman put to death by the federal government in almost seven decades.) On Thursday, US Attorney...
by Barr, Sessions
Jun 16, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
Garland Tosses Asylum Opinions by Barr, Sessions
Immigration judge should drop the old rules, attorney general says
- Attorney General Merrick Garland moved Wednesday to undo a pair of immigration decisions by Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr. The opinions by Garland's predecessors put limits on who could qualify for asylum by claiming to be a persecuted member of a "particular social group," the Hill reports,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Prince William, Kate Headed to Boston, and It's Weighty
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.