Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One Republican Comes to
Garland's Defense in Hearing
Sep 20, 2023 3:09 PM CDT
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Grilling from House lawmakers focused on Hunter Biden
- Attorney General Merrick Garland was grilled by Republican lawmakers in his first appearance before the House Judiciary Committee in two years. In his opening statement, Republican committee chair Rep. Jim Jordan accused the Justice Department of protecting President Biden and his family while targeting Donald Trump, NBC News reports. In...
Special Counsel Appointed
in Hunter Biden Case
Aug 11, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Special Counsel Appointed in Hunter Biden Case
Attorney General Merrick Garland makes the move
- Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Friday he is appointing a special counsel in the Hunter Biden probe, deepening the investigation of the president's son ahead of the 2024 election, per the AP . Garland said he is naming David Weiss, the US attorney in Delaware who has been investigating the...
McCarthy Threatens to Open
Garland Impeachment Inquiry
Jun 26, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
McCarthy Threatens to Open Garland Impeachment Inquiry
White House official says GOP is trying to distract from tax cut plans
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has upped the ante in Republicans' allegations that the Justice Department is making prosecutorial decisions based on politics, suggesting that Attorney General Merrick Garland could face an impeachment inquiry. In a tweet , McCarthy tied the threat to IRS whistleblowers' contentions that a tax crime investigation included...
US Charges Sons of 'El Chapo,'
Details Jarringly Violent Acts
Apr 14, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
US Charges Sons of 'El Chapo,' Details Jarringly Violent Acts
Chinese companies face sanctions for supplying chemicals
- The Justice Department on Friday announced a sweeping operation against fentanyl trafficking by Mexico's Sinaloa cartel, including the indictment of four sons of Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán and two dozen other people. Attorney General Merrick Garland unveiled the charges at a news conference with federal prosecutors...
DOJ on JetBlue-Spirit
Mar 7, 2023 11:33 AM CST
DOJ on JetBlue-Spirit Deal: Nope
Biden administration sues to halt sale of Spirit, thinks it would drive prices up
- The Biden administration sued on Tuesday to block JetBlue Airways' $3.8 billion purchase of Spirit Airlines, saying the deal would reduce competition and drive up air fares. The Justice Department said the tie-up would especially hurt cost-conscious travelers who depend on Spirit to find cheaper options than they can...
Mar 1, 2023 7:25 PM CST
Garland: I'll Stay Out of Hunter Biden Case
GOP senators press attorney general in hearing
- Under questioning by Republican senators, Attorney General Merrick Garland testified Wednesday that US Attorney David Weiss of Delaware has the authority to decide whether to charge President Biden's son without interference. Weiss, who is conducting a criminal investigation into Hunter Biden concerning taxes and other issues, also could decide...
Now Biden Is the Focus
of a Special Counsel
Jan 12, 2023 12:38 PM CST
Now Biden Is the Focus of a Special Counsel
Attorney general makes move after more improperly stored classified documents were found
- Attorney General Merrick Garland on Thursday appointed a special counsel to investigate the presence of documents with classified markings found at President Biden’s home in Wilmington, Delaware, and at an office in Washington . The announcement followed Biden's acknowledgement Thursday morning that a document with classified markings from his...
Found in Biden's
Jan 9, 2023 7:30 PM CST
Classified Documents Found in Biden's Former Office
Papers were turned over to National Archives after discovery, president's counsel says
- Federal officials are reviewing approximately 10 classified documents that were discovered in an office President Biden had at a Washington think tank. The president's personal lawyers spotted the papers while packing up files to move Biden out of the office at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global...
Jan. 6 Panel Recommends
Criminal Charges for Trump
Dec 19, 2022 1:29 PM CST
Jan. 6 Panel Recommends Criminal Charges for Trump
Justice Department will make the final decision
- The House panel investigating the Capitol riot just made its biggest move yet: It recommended that former President Trump face four criminal charges. The AP describes the move as "mostly symbolic" given that the final decision rests with the Justice Department. The
also makes a point to...
Garland Tells Prosecutors
to End Cocaine Case Disparities
Dec 16, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Garland Tells Prosecutors to End Cocaine Case Disparities
House, Senate bills would alter gap first laid out by Sen. Biden
- Federal prosecutors have been ordered to end sentencing disparities involving convictions for distributing cocaine: For decades, crack convictions have brought harsher punishments than powder cocaine offenses. Civil rights advocates and other opponents of the policy criticize the gap as harming Black and brown communities, a result of the government's...
Merrick Garland Names
Special Counsel on Trump
Nov 18, 2022 1:59 PM CST
Merrick Garland Names Special Counsel on Trump
DOJ's Jack Smith will oversee inquiries into Mar-a-Lago documents, 2020 election
(Updated with new information throughout.)
A big move from Attorney General Merrick Garland on Friday: He named a special counsel to oversee the Justice Department's investigation into the presence of classified documents at former President Trump's Florida estate as well as key aspects of a separate probe...
13 Face US Charges
in Chinese Spy Cases
Oct 24, 2022 4:38 PM CDT
13 Face US Charges in Chinese Spy Cases
Plots include recruitment of agents, interference with prosecution, Garland says
- Attorney General Merrick Garland announced charges Monday against 13 people in three cases of Chinese spying or efforts to exert illegal influence in the US. Two of those facing criminal charges are Chinese intelligence officers who, the Justice Department said, paid a US government employee for confidential information in an...
There's Enough Evidence to
Charge Hunter Biden: Agents
Oct 6, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
There's Enough Evidence to Charge Hunter Biden: Agents
Decision on prosecution is up to a Trump appointee
- Four years into the investigation, federal agents say they have assembled enough evidence to justify charging Hunter Biden with crimes. The evidence concerns tax crimes and a statement connected to the purchase of a gun, the
reports. The decision on whether to prosecute President Biden's son falls...
Trump: US 'Temperature
Has to Be Brought Down'
Aug 15, 2022 12:24 PM CDT
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
He tells Fox he'll help do so, continues to denounce FBI's 'scam' search
- Donald Trump spoke to Fox News Digital Monday and said the FBI search of his Mar-a-Lago residence has triggered levels of anger in the country he's never before seen. The "temperature has to be brought down," he said, per Fox News . The former president pledged to help...
Everyone Is Saying the Same
Thing About Merrick Garland
Aug 12, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
Everyone Is Saying the Same Thing About Merrick Garland
He 'called Trump's bluff' with move to unseal Mar-a-Lago search warrant
- After Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Thursday that he was seeking to unseal the search warrant justifying Monday's search of former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estates, numerous outlets, including CNN , the
, Politico , and the
New York Times
, had very similar headlines about him "calling Trump'...
Garland: I 'Personally
Approved' Mar-a-Lago Search
Aug 11, 2022 2:32 PM CDT
Garland: I 'Personally Approved' Mar-a-Lago Search
Attorney General asks court to unseal the warrant
- Attorney General Merrick Garland delivered his first public comments since Monday's surprise search of Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence by federal agents, though he shed little immediate light on the reasons behind it. Garland did, however, say that he "personally approved" the decision to a seek a search...
New Breonna Taylor Charges
Involve Secret Garage Meeting
Aug 4, 2022 11:57 AM CDT
New Breonna Taylor Charges Involve Secret Garage Meeting
4 former or current Louisville police officers are charged in botched deadly raid
- The botched police raid that resulted in the death of Breonna Taylor has led to federal charges against four current and former Louisville officers. "Breonna Taylor should still be alive," Attorney General Merrick Garland said Thursday in announcing the charges, per the AP . Three of those charged—former...
Jun 25, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Experts say it's unclear whose policy would prevail, so the courts may decide
- Despite the Supreme Court's decision on abortion rights, Attorney General Merrick Garland has told the states the Department of Justice will "work tirelessly to protect and advance reproductive freedom," starting with preserving access to abortion pills. Garland noted in a statement Friday, issued after the court's...
Democrats: Justice Department
Could Look at Indicting Trump
Jun 12, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Democrats: Justice Department Could Look at Indicting Trump
There's enough evidence, Jan. 6 panel members
- Democratic members of the House committee holding hearings on the attack on the Capitol said Sunday there's sufficient evidence for the Justice Department to consider indicting former President Donald Trump. "I would like to see the Justice Department investigate any credible allegation of criminal activity on the part...
After DC Event
Apr 6, 2022 5:17 PM CDT
List Grows of Officials Testing Positive After DC Event
Garland, Raimondo, Schiff, and Castro all attended Gridiron Dinner last weekend
- Gathering so many top government officials for an evening of nonpartisan satire and laughter might have been dangerous. Members of Congress and the Cabinet have tested positive for the coronavirus since Saturday's Gridiron Dinner, an annual white-tie event in Washington. Attorney General Merrick Garland added his name to the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.