Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Joint US-Mexico Body Makes
Big Find on Border Barrier
Aug 16, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Joint US-Mexico Body Makes Big Find on Border Barrier
Topographical survey discovers that nearly 80% of controversial buoy barrier is in Mexico, not US
- Migrant advocates, environmentalists, and the Mexican and US governments have all pushed back at the controversial border barrier Texas has installed in the Rio Grande to prevent migrants from crossing into the United States. Despite recovering at least two bodies along the barrier since it was installed in July, and...
On Migrant Bus From Texas
to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
Aug 12, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
On Migrant Bus From Texas to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
3-year-old dies after health issues during trip, part of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's Operation Lone Star
- A 3-year-old traveling on a bus of asylum-seekers headed from Texas to Chicago died before reaching that destination. ABC News reports that confirmation of the child's death came via a spokesperson for the Illinois Department of Public Health, who noted the agency is working with local and state law...
Out of the Rio Grande,
a 'Troubling' Report
Aug 3, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
Out of the Rio Grande, a 'Troubling' Report
Mexican officials say 2 bodies have been found along Texas' controversial floating barrier
- Despite warnings over possible dangers , as well as a lawsuit from the Justice Department, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott hasn't budged on removing the floating barrier in the middle of the Rio Grande, part of his state's efforts to keep migrants from crossing over from Mexico. Now, two bodies...
Justice Department Sues Texas
Over Barriers in Rio Grande
Jul 24, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Justice Department Sues Texas Over Barriers in Rio Grande
Abbott rebuffs warning and publicly welcomes legal showdown
- The Justice Department followed through on its threat to sue Texas on Monday, seeking to force the state to take out the floating barriers it has placed in the middle of the Rio Grande to deter border crossings. The obstacles are a danger to migrants and Border Patrol agents, the...
Texas Governor Signs Bill on
Transgender College Athletes
Jun 16, 2023 6:38 AM CDT
Texas Governor Signs Bill on Transgender College Athletes
ACLU calls it 'unfair,' 'cruel'
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed a bill into law Thursday that was denounced by the ACLU of Texas as "unfair, unconstitutional, and just plain cruel." SB 15 requires college athletes to play on teams that correspond to the sex they were assigned at birth, meaning transgender men will...
Abbott Makes His Choice
to Replace Paxton During Trial
May 31, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
Abbott Makes His Choice to Replace Paxton During Trial
John Scott represented Trump for three days
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday appointed John Scott to temporarily serve as Texas' attorney general after the House of Representatives voted to impeach Ken Paxton over allegations of misconduct and crimes. The historic impeachment triggered Paxton's automatic suspension from office pending the outcome of a trial in the state...
Man Gets 25 Years for
Murder of BLM Protester
May 10, 2023 1:33 PM CDT
Man Gets 25 Years for Murder of BLM Protester
Prosecutors rejected Daniel Perry's self-defense claim
- A US Army sergeant has been sentenced to 25 years for killing a protester during a Black Lives Matter protest in Austin in July 2020. Daniel Perry, 36, was convicted last month of murdering Garrett Foster. Perry's lawyer says he plans to appeal and will cooperate with Texas Gov....
Biden Goes to Mexican Border
Jan 8, 2023 5:05 PM CST
Biden Goes to Mexican Border
Abbott blames president for 'chaos'
- President Biden inspected a busy port of entry along the US-Mexico border Sunday on his first trip to the region after two years in office, a visit shadowed by the fraught politics of immigration as Republicans try to blame him for the record numbers of migrants crossing into the country....
Greg Abbott Slammed After
Migrants Dropped Off in DC
Dec 26, 2022 12:20 PM CST
Greg Abbott Slammed After Migrants Dropped Off in DC
Prominent Dems, WH blast 'shameful stunt'; Texas governor still hasn't confirmed he sent buses
- The White House and prominent Democrats are blasting Texas Gov. Greg Abbott after three busloads of migrants were dropped off in frigid weather on Christmas Eve outside of Vice President Kamala Harris' DC home. "Governor Abbott abandoned children on the side of the road in below freezing temperatures on...
Sent to VP's
Dec 25, 2022 12:02 PM CST
3 Busloads of Migrants Sent to VP's House on Xmas Eve
They arrived from Texas, and suspicion falls on Gov. Greg Abbott
- Three busloads of unexpected guests turned up outside the residence of VP Kamala Harris in DC on Christmas Eve. All were migrants from Central or South America who were bused in from Texas, reports CNN . Aid groups were on hand to welcome them with blankets and warm clothes in temperatures...
NYC Declares Emergency
as Migrants Pour In
Oct 7, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
NYC Declares Emergency as Migrants Pour In
Mayor seeks federal and state help to house arrivals being bused from Texas
- With migrants from Latin America needing shelter and health care arriving by the busload, Mayor Eric Adams declared a state of emergency for New York City on Friday, calling the situation a humanitarian crisis. The mayor said at least 17,000 people seeking asylum have been bused in from other...
Texas Rejects Posthumous
Pardon for George Floyd
Sep 16, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Texas Rejects Posthumous Pardon for George Floyd
Board first voted yes, then no after Abbott's office kicked recommendation back
- Without giving a reason, Texas officials revealed their decision Thursday to not grant a posthumous pardon to George Floyd over a Houston drug conviction. The Board of Pardons and Paroles told the public defender who has represented Floyd in a letter, the Hill reports. A majority on the board opposed...
One Question on This Week's
Migrant Moves: Who's Perla?
Sep 16, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
One Question on This Week's Migrant Moves: Who's Perla?
Democrats want to know what new arrivals were told before being sent to Martha's Vineyard, DC
- Immigration re-entered the national conversation in a big way this week thanks to high-profile moves by GOP Govs. Ron DeSantis of Florida and Greg Abbott of Texas. DeSantis sent two planeloads of newly arrived migrants to Martha's Vineyard , while Abbott shipped two busloads of people to the DC residence...
Migrants Arrive at Harris' Home,
Sent From Texas By Governor
Sep 15, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Migrants Arrive at Harris' Home, Sent From Texas By Governor
Abbott says he wanted vice president to understand the border situation
- Gov. Greg Abbott escalated his standoff with the Biden administration over border crossings, dispatching two buses carrying migrants to the Washington residence of Vice President Kamala Harris. The buses dropped off about 100 people early Thursday near the main gate to the Naval Observatory, the vice president's official home,...
Abbott's Order on Migrants
Sets Up Clash With US Agencies
Jul 7, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
Abbott's Order on Migrants Sets Up Clash With US Agencies
Move puzzles Republicans and legal experts
- Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Thursday directing the Texas National Guard and Department of Public Safety to take undocumented immigrants to the Mexican border and leave them there. The order sets up a confrontation with the federal government, which has responsibility for enforcing immigration law, the
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other
No-Shows at NRA Meeting
May 28, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
'Unlike some, I did not disappoint you,' Trump told crowd gathered in Houston on Friday
- The NRA's Houston convention went on as planned Friday, despite protests due to the deadly mass shooting on Tuesday across the state in Uvalde. And although some big names pulled out of the gun rights advocacy group's annual meeting in the 11th hour, former President Donald Trump wasn'...
Texas Governor Pulls Out
of NRA Convention
May 27, 2022 6:22 AM CDT
Texas Governor Pulls Out of NRA Convention
Abbott plans to hold press conference in Uvalde instead
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott won't be appearing at the National Rifle Association convention in Houston on Friday after all, a spokesman has confirmed. The Republican governor, who was heavily criticized for his plan to speak at the convention just days after the deadliest school shooting in state history, will...
Gunman Sent Message:
'Going to Shoot
May 25, 2022 1:51 PM CDT
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
He apparently used Facebook Messenger
- The 18-year-old gunman who murdered 19 children and two adults at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday did so with guns purchased just days prior. Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw said a semiautomatic rifle was purchased May 17 at a local sporting goods store, with...
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts
Abbott's Press Conference
May 25, 2022 1:28 PM CDT
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
'This is on you,' Democrat says of the mass shooting
- Beto O'Rourke briefly brought a press conference by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on the Uvalde mass shooting to a dramatic halt on Wednesday. O'Rourke—a Democrat challenging the Republican Abbott for governor—accused Abbott of being weak on gun control. Watch the video here . "The time to...
19 Elementary School Students,
2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
May 24, 2022 10:08 PM CDT
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
18-year-old shooter was killed by police, Texas governor says
This file has been updated with the most up-to-date death toll and the shooter's identity.
Nineteen children and two adults were killed when a gunman walked up to an elementary school in the Texas town of Uvalde and started shooting on Tuesday, officials said. Gov. Greg Abbott identified...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.