Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawyer: Man Killed by Cop Car
Had ID but Family Wasn't Told
Nov 17, 2023 11:44 AM CST
Lawyer: Man Killed by Cop Car Had ID but Family Wasn't Told
Alabama man Dexter Wade was buried in pauper's grave
- A man struck and killed by a Jackson, Mississippi, police vehicle in March had his ID in his pocket when he was buried in a pauper's grave, his family's lawyer says. Dexter Wade, 37, was reported missing by mother Bettersten Wade on March 14. She spent months searching...
In Last Words, Inmate
Takes Jab at Executioner
Nov 17, 2023 4:24 AM CST
In Last Words, Inmate Takes Jab at Executioner
Alabama inmate Casey McWhorter brought up domestic violence allegations
- An Alabama inmate convicted of killing a man during a 1993 robbery when he was a teenager was executed Thursday by lethal injection. Casey McWhorter, 49, was pronounced dead at 6:56pm at a southwest Alabama prison, authorities said. McWhorter was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death for...
Died in Prison
Nov 14, 2023 1:43 PM CST
Family: He Died in Prison Assault Weeks Before Release
Relatives say Daniel Williams was essentially kidnapped by inmates, though warden in Alabama claimed overdose
- Daniel Terry Williams, serving a 1-year sentence for second-degree theft, was due to be released from Alabama's Staton Correctional Facility early this month. Instead, he left two weeks early because he'd been beaten so badly that he was brain dead, according to family, who claim he was tortured...
Here Are the Chubbiest
States in America
Nov 13, 2023 12:34 PM CST
Here Are the Chubbiest States in America
And the least chubbiest
- "Being overweight is becoming the new normal in America." So says WalletHub in its list of the chubbiest and slimmest states in the nation. The site took a look at obesity and overweight prevalence, health consequences, and food and fitness, and cross-referenced them across 31 health metrics. (Note:...
Woman With a Rare Anomaly
Has an Even Rarer Pregnancy
Nov 13, 2023 8:40 AM CST
Woman With a Rare Anomaly Has an Even Rarer Pregnancy
Alabama's Kelsey Hatcher has a double uterus, and she now has a twin gestating in each one
- Kelsey Hatcher is set to receive quite the Christmas gift this year: Dec. 25 is the due date for her twin girls, which will give her and her husband, Caleb, a total of five children ages 7 and under. But while finding out they had two little ones on the...
Alabama Sets Date for First
Execution by New Method
Nov 9, 2023 2:36 PM CST
Alabama Sets Date for First Execution by New Method
Kenneth Eugene Smith will be first person in the US executed with nitrogen gas
- A year after the execution of Kenneth Eugene Smith by lethal injection was called off after the execution team had trouble connecting an IV line, Alabama has set a date to execute him by a different method. Gov. Kay Ivey's office says the state plans to execute Smith with...
Couple Moving Into New
Home Find Body in Freezer
Nov 3, 2023 12:46 PM CDT
Couple Moving Into New Home Find Body in Freezer
Alabama couple charged with abusing teen son's corpse, discovered in broken freezer
- Alabama tenants preparing to move into a new home Sunday discovered a dead body in a freezer, which had been reported to police nearly three weeks earlier. The remains have not been officially identified but are believed to be those of 19-year-old Logan Michael Halstead, a man with spina bifida...
Alabama's Top Court
OKs New Execution Method
Nov 2, 2023 7:24 AM CDT
Alabama's Top Court OKs New Execution Method
Decision clears the way for state to execute Kenneth Smith with nitrogen gas
- A divided Alabama Supreme Court said the state can execute an inmate with nitrogen gas, a method that has not previously been used to carry out a death sentence in the US. The all-Republican court in a 6-2 decision Wednesday granted the state attorney general's request for an execution...
Teen Falls 90 Feet to Her
Death While Rock Climbing
Oct 21, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Teen Falls 90 Feet to Her Death While Rock Climbing
University of Georgia's Yutong Zhang fell during a climb near Alabama's Cherokee Rock Village
- A University of Georgia student's outdoor adventure in a neighboring state ended in tragedy when she fell during a rock climb last weekend. The Cherokee County Coroner's Office confirmed that Yutong "Faye" Zhang, originally of Minnesota, died last Saturday around noon after she fell 90 feet while...
This State Will
Shutter 3 Maternity
Wards. It's Not Alone
Oct 19, 2023 8:11 AM CDT
This State Will Shutter 3 Maternity Wards. It's Not Alone
'Maternity care deserts' are increasing in Alabama, and elsewhere, leaving pregnant women at risk
- In Alabama, three hospitals are about to cease delivering babies, leaving pregnant patients with no birthing hospitals in Shelby and Monroe counties, and a drive of up to 100 miles for some to get to a labor and delivery unit. That's not even that unusual in the Yellowhammer State,...
Guilty of Faking
Oct 12, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Woman Found Guilty of Faking Her Kidnapping
But Carlee Russell is appealing the conviction in effort to avoid jail time
- An Alabama woman accused of falsely telling police she was abducted after stopping to check on a toddler wandering along the highway is appealing her municipal court conviction in an effort to avoid a yearlong jail sentence sought by prosecutors, the AP reports. A municipal judge on Wednesday found Carlee...
Author's Kids Book Flagged
for a 'Laughable' Reason
Oct 9, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Author's Kids Book Flagged for a 'Laughable' Reason
Picture book placed on review list for Alabama library due to writer Mary-Louise Gay's last name
- Marie-Louise Gay's children's books often pop up on various recommended lists, like "books to watch for" and books that "inspire a love of reading." At one Alabama library, however, one of the award-winning Canadian author and illustrator's picture books was placed on a list...
Arrested at Wedding
Oct 9, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Alleged Serial Wedding Crasher Arrested at Wedding
57-year-old is accused of stealing money, cards
- A 57-year-old woman who has allegedly crashed weddings in three states was arrested at a wedding in Mississippi on September 30. The Pontotoc County Sheriff's Department says Sandra Lynn Henson is charged with petit larceny, trespassing, and disturbing the peace in that state—and that she's been accused...
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris
May Have Solved a Cold Case
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 7, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Officials think remains in Florida river were those of Alabama's James Aaron Toole, who vanished in '95
- Twenty-eight years ago, an Alabama father set out on a road trip to Florida, never to be seen again. Now, a cleanup crew clearing debris from August's Hurricane Idalia may have solved the missing-persons cold case of James Aaron Toole, after stumbling upon human remains in a Chevy Cavalier...
Dems Should Like Alabama's
New Congressional Map
Oct 6, 2023 3:20 PM CDT
Dems Should Like Alabama's New Congressional Map
Black voters will have a majority or near-majority in 2 districts
- Federal judges on Thursday selected new congressional lines for Alabama to give the Deep South state a second district where Black voters comprise a substantial portion of the electorate, the AP reports. The new map sets the stage for potentially flipping one US House of Representatives seat from Republican to...
Woman Who Posed
as Stranded Motorist,
Oct 5, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Woman Who Posed as Stranded Motorist, Killed Student Pleads Guilty
She pleaded guilty after 2nd woman was convicted in the case last week
- The woman who posed as a stranded motorist in an attempt to rob two Florida college students, only to end up fatally shooting one of them when he pulled his own gun in self-defense, pleaded guilty to murder Wednesday. Yasmine Hider will be sentenced January 4 and faces up to...
Supreme Court Delivers
Bad News to Alabama GOP
Sep 26, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
Supreme Court Delivers Bad News to Alabama GOP
SCOTUS will allow redrawing of congressional map to go forward, over state's objections
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed the drawing of a new Alabama congressional map with greater representation for Black voters to proceed, rejecting the state's plea to retain Republican-drawn lines that were struck down by a lower court. In refusing to intervene, the justices, without any noted dissent, allowed...
College Student Finds Quite
the Wedding Dress Bargain
Sep 22, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
College Student Finds Quite the Wedding Dress Bargain
Emmali Osterhoudt stumbled upon a $6K Galia Lahav gown for just $25 at an Alabama Goodwill
- Emmali Osterhoudt is a nursing student who doesn't see herself getting married (or even engaged) anytime soon, but when she came across a wedding dress at Goodwill during a recent thrifting expedition, she knew she had to grab it. In a TikTok video posted earlier this month, she gushed...
Cops Tase High School Band
Director at Football Game
Sep 19, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
Cops Tase High School Band Director at Football Game
Johnny Mims claims 'egregious violation of civil rights' in Birmingham
- Police in Birmingham, Alabama, repeatedly deployed a stun gun in front of students while arresting a high school band director who allegedly refused to stop his band from playing. Police were clearing spectators from a stadium following a football game between Minor and Jackson-Olin high schools on Thursday when they...
Alabama's Congressional Map
Is Again Rejected, With Scolding
Sep 5, 2023 3:10 PM CDT
Alabama's Congressional Map Is Again Rejected, With Scolding
Latest redistricting doesn't comply with court order on racial makeup, panel says
- Federal judges threw out Alabama's newest attempt to redraw its congressional districts on Tuesday, chastising the state for not complying with the Voting Rights Act as mandated by a court order. The plan approved by the legislature provides for a single district that has, barely, a Black majority, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.