Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 61 - 80 |
Good News for Chicago Kids
About Cubs Parade, Rally
Nov 3, 2016 11:39 PM CDT
Good News for Chicago Kids About Cubs Parade, Rally
They won't have to skip school to attend
- Ecstatic Chicago Cubs fans are expected to amass downtown Friday for a parade and rally to honor the new World Series champions. The celebration of the Cubs' first title in 108 years will kick off when team buses leave Wrigley Field at 10am for an official launch of the parade...
One Cubs Fan
Spent Game 7 in
Nov 3, 2016 6:31 PM CDT
One Cubs Fan Spent Game 7 in Dark Cemetery
Wayne Williams was keeping a promise to his father
- Hours before the Chicago Cubs took the field for the final game of a historic World Series, 68-year-old Wayne Williams Jr. made the 650-mile drive from his home in North Carolina to Indiana to keep a promise to his father, the
News & Observer
reports. "We had a pact,...
The Cubs Were Reeling Late.
Then Came a Pep Talk
Nov 3, 2016 9:00 AM CDT
The Cubs Were Reeling Late. Then Came a Pep Talk
'Jason Heyward led the way'
- It was, as Barry Svrluga of the
writes, "nothing short of one of the most thrilling baseball games ever played." And in the aftermath of the Cubs' World Series victory , players are talking about a late pep talk from quiet outfielder Jason Heyward. He called a...
Cubs Fans Go Wild
as 108-Year Drought Ends
Nov 3, 2016 6:40 AM CDT
Cubs Fans Go Wild as 108-Year Drought Ends
'Next year' has finally arrived
- In Chicago, next year is here. At exactly 11:47pm local time Wednesday night, the Chicago Cubs won the World Series title that had eluded them for 108 years. Fans who packed bars to watch the games on television near Wrigley Field—neither of which existed back in 1908—erupted...
Curse Over: Cubs Win
It All in Game 7
Nov 3, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
Curse Over: Cubs Win It All in Game 7
Beat Cleveland Indians 8-7 in 10th inning
- Mike Montgomery retired Michael Martinez for the final out with a runner on in the 10th inning, and the Chicago Cubs ended baseball's longest championship drought by beating the Cleveland Indians 8-7 in Game 7 of the World Series, the AP reports. The Cubs won their first championship since...
Fans Pay Record-Busting Bucks
for Game 7 of World Series
Nov 2, 2016 12:08 PM CDT
Fans Pay Record-Busting Bucks for Game 7 of World Series
Pair of seats behind Cubs dugout went for $19.5K each
- A World Series win Tuesday night by the Chicago Cubs against the Cleveland Indians has forced a Game 7—and apparently forced someone with a lot of disposable income to open up quite a bit of their wallet. Per MarketWatch , a pair of seats behind the Cubs dugout at Cleveland'...
Cubs Take It to Game 7
Nov 2, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
Cubs Take It to Game 7
They hammer Indians 9-3
- After 108 years, what's one more day? The Chicago Cubs are far from finished—they're frothing. Addison Russell hit a grand slam and tied a World Series record with six RBIs, and Chicago took advantage of a huge early misplay in Cleveland's outfield as the Cubs throttled...
Are Rooting for
Nov 1, 2016 10:21 AM CDT
Celebrities Who Are Rooting for the Cubs
Including Bill Murray with an awesome shirt
- The Chicago Cubs need to beat the Cleveland Indians both Tuesday and Wednesday nights if they want to win the World Series for the first time since 1908—and there are a number of celebrities hoping they do just that. CBS rounds up celebrities who have been spotted rooting for...
Cubs Survive, Send
Series Back to Cleveland
Oct 31, 2016 12:07 AM CDT
Cubs Survive, Send Series Back to Cleveland
Indians still lead 3-2, will play at home Tuesday
- They're going back to Cleveland. The Chicago Cubs avoided elimination and kept their World Series hopes alive with a 3-2 win Sunday night at Wrigley Field, reports the AP . The Indians still lead the Series 3-2, with Game 6 set for Tuesday night in Cleveland. The Cubs brought in...
Cubs on Thin Ice:
Indians Win Again
Oct 29, 2016 10:25 PM CDT
Cubs on Thin Ice: Indians Win Again
Cleveland takes 3-1 lead in World Series
- Chicago Cubs fans who were delirious that their team made it into the World Series now face the prospect of watching them lose it all Sunday night on home turf. The Cleveland Indians won Game 4 easily Saturday night, 7-2, to take a 3-1 lead in the series, reports the...
Indians Win Nail-Biter,
Take Lead in Series
Oct 28, 2016 10:42 PM CDT
Indians Win Nail-Biter, Take Lead in Series
Cleveland beats the Cubs at Wrigley, 1-0
- The Cleveland Indians spoiled the fun for fans at Wrigley Field Friday night with a 1-0 win over the Chicago Cubs. The victory puts the Indians up 2-1 in the World Series, with Game 4 Saturday night at Wrigley. Cleveland broke the scoreless tie in the seventh inning on an...
A Folk Hero Is Born: Unlikely
Star Emerges for Cubs
Oct 27, 2016 8:17 AM CDT
A Folk Hero Is Born: Unlikely Star Emerges for Cubs
Kyle Schwarber isn't supposed to be doing what he's doing
- Even those not paying close attention to the World Series might be hearing the name Kyle Schwarber being thrown around a lot after the first two games. As in, "The Legend of Kyle Schwarber" as the Chicago Cubs catcher puts it, per
. The 23-year-old suffered a devastating...
Cubs Tie Series,
Get Ready to
Face the Curse
Oct 27, 2016 12:10 AM CDT
Cubs Tie Series, Get Ready to Face the Curse
Arrieta pitched no-hitter into 6th inning
- Jake Arrieta made a teasing try at history, Kyle Schwarber drove in two runs, and the Chicago Cubs brushed off a shutout to even the World Series with their first Fall Classic win in 71 years, 5-1 over the Cleveland Indians in Game 2 on Wednesday night. Arrieta carried a...
In First World
a Solid Shutout
Oct 26, 2016 12:11 AM CDT
In First World Series Game, a Solid Shutout
Chicago Cubs lost 6-0 to the Cleveland Indians
- Corey Kluber got the Cleveland Indians off to a great start and Roberto Perez finished off the Chicago Cubs in their first World Series game since 1945. Kluber pitched neatly into the seventh inning, Perez hit two home runs, and the Indians beat the Cubs 6-0 in the opener Tuesday...
One of Sports'
Walks to Work
Oct 25, 2016 10:43 AM CDT
One of Sports' Biggest Execs Walks to Work Unnoticed
Theo Epstein is trying to break another curse, this time with Cubs
- Theo Epstein got himself hired as general manager of the Red Sox at age 28 and quickly became known as a baseball wunderkind when Boston busted its curse and won the World Series in 2004. Epstein is 42 now and on the cusp of doing the same for another city...
There's Pricey, Then There's
World Series Tickets Pricey
Oct 25, 2016 9:59 AM CDT
There's Pricey, Then There's World Series Tickets Pricey
One ticket might cost you an arm and a leg
- Fans hoping to see the Cubs play in the World Series for the first time since 1945 are finding a seat could cost them more than what their grandparents paid for their houses. The euphoria from Saturday night's victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers gave way Monday to the...
Ohio, Illinois Govs'
World Series Bet:
Beer ... Mustard?
Oct 25, 2016 1:11 AM CDT
Ohio, Illinois Govs' World Series Bet: Beer ... Mustard?
Pizza for Bruce Rauner, 'fan favorites' like ballpark mustard for John Kasich
- The governors of Illinois and Ohio have bet each other cases of beer, pizza, and other ballpark favorites ahead of the World Series contest between the Cubs and the Indians. In a Monday tweet , Republican Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner wagered an extra-large Chicago-style deep-dish pizza and a case of microbrew...
How One Man Made $2.5M
Betting on the World Series
Oct 23, 2016 4:55 PM CDT
How One Man Made $2.5M Betting on the World Series
'Vegas Dave' and his history of long-shot sports bets
- "Vegas" Dave Oancea started his career as a professional gambler by taking out a $10,000 student loan, going straight to Vegas, and putting it all on red. Telling his story to Mel Magazine , Dave says: "It hit, and I turned the 10 grand into 20. That started...
Cubs Will Play in World Series
Oct 22, 2016 9:57 PM CDT
Cubs Will Play in World Series
Chicago advances, will face Cleveland
- The Chicago Cubs are at long last headed back to the World Series. Kyle Hendricks outpitched Clayton Kershaw, Anthony Rizzo and Willson Contreras homered early, and the Cubs won their first pennant since 1945, beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0 Saturday night in Game 6 of the NL Championship Series....
Cleveland Keeps Its
Magical Sports Year Going
Oct 19, 2016 6:29 PM CDT
Cleveland Keeps Its Magical Sports Year Going
Please ignore the Browns
- A most unlikely pitching performance helped put a most unexpected team into the World Series. Rookie Ryan Merritt coolly delivered a lead to the Andrew Miller-led bullpen, and the Cleveland Indians won their first pennant since 1997, blanking Toronto 3-0 Wednesday in Game 5 of the AL Championship Series, the...
Stories 61 - 80 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.