Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 18, 2023 7:45 AM CST
SpaceX Mission 'Presumed Failed' Minutes After Launch
Starship reached space this time, but contact was then lost
- SpaceX's Starship, the world's most powerful rocket, saw liftoff from Texas on Saturday around 8am ET, and the
New York Times
notes that its upper stage did successfully separate from its Super Heavy booster—further than it got during its initial launch in April, which ended in an...
Musk Has One-
to Report of
Nov 16, 2023 1:05 PM CST
Musk Has One- Word Response to Report of Starlink IPO
'False' is his reply to Bloomberg article on possible SpaceX initial public offering as early as next year
- Elon Musk is countering reports suggesting SpaceX is considering spinning off its Starlink satellite business in an initial public offering as soon as next year. Though the SpaceX CEO described the report as " false " on Wednesday, Bloomberg reported that SpaceX had already begun moving Starlink's assets to...
FAA Clears Second
SpaceX Starship Test
Nov 15, 2023 6:20 PM CST
FAA Clears Second SpaceX Starship Test
Company is targeting Friday launch
- The Federal Aviation Administration has given the green light to SpaceX for a second test flight of its Starship rocket, more than six months after the most powerful rocket ever built exploded soon after liftoff . "The FAA determined SpaceX met all safety, environmental, policy and financial responsibility requirements,"...
Nov 10, 2023 1:24 PM CST
Report: At Musk's SpaceX, Hundreds of Hidden Injuries
Reuters details amputations, crushed limbs, even a death in rush to send humans to Mars
- Elon Musk has long been eager to get humans to Mars ASAP—maybe too eager, according to a new Reuters' documentation of injuries at SpaceX facilities over the past decade. The news agency conducted interviews and sifted through government files to reveal how many SpaceX workplace injuries, all previously unreported,...
In a First,
Heads to Metal
Oct 13, 2023 1:33 PM CDT
In a First, NASA Craft Heads to Metal Asteroid
Until now, exploration has been limited to surfaces of rock, ice, and gas
- NASA's Psyche spacecraft rocketed away Friday on a six-year journey to a rare metal-covered asteroid. Most asteroids tend to be rocky or icy, and this is the first exploration of a metal world. Scientists say it may be the battered remains of an early planet's core and could...
DOJ's Tesla Probe Goes Beyond
Alleged Glass House for Musk
Sep 20, 2023 6:34 AM CDT
DOJ's Tesla Probe Goes Beyond Alleged Glass House for Musk
Prosecutors are looking at other perks the CEO may have received dating back to 2017
- A Justice Department investigation exploring whether Tesla funds were used to build a proposed glass house for CEO Elon Musk is more wide-reaching than previously known and could result in criminal charges. Federal prosecutors in New York are not only investigating other potential personal benefits Tesla provided to the billionaire...
Sep 8, 2023 8:43 AM CDT
Book: Musk Blocked Drone Attack by Ukraine
Walter Isaacson reveals SpaceX CEO's role in turning off Starlink network near Crimea in 2022
- Earlier this year, SpaceX execs acknowledged that they blocked Ukrainian forces from using Starlink communications systems for military purposes in the war against Russia. Now, CNN reports that SpaceX CEO Elon Musk personally had his engineers cut off power last year—the exact date isn't clear—to a Starlink...
Elon Musk: Starship
Is Ready for Launch.
FAA: Not So Fast
Sep 7, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Elon Musk: Starship Is Ready for Launch. FAA: Not So Fast
Agency says investigation into disastrous first launch is still open
- More than four months after the most powerful rocket ever created exploded soon after liftoff , SpaceX is ready to try again. The company has stacked its Starship rocket on top of a Super Heavy booster at its launch pad in Boca Chica in southern Texas. "Starship is ready to...
Elon Musk $1B
Around the Time
He Bought Twitter
Sep 6, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
SpaceX Loaned Elon Musk $1B Around the Time He Bought Twitter
Though it's not clear what the loan was for
- In October, the same month Elon Musk was acquiring Twitter, he took out what the
Wall Street Journal
describes as an "unusual" $1 billion loan from SpaceX. The following month, he paid it back in full, plus interest. It's not clear what the loan was for, and Musk...
SpaceX Was at
Sep 4, 2023 5:49 AM CDT
SpaceX Was at Work Overnight
4 astronauts splash down off Florida in 'spectacular' middle-of-night capsule landing
- Four astronauts returned to Earth early Monday after a six-month stay at the International Space Station, reports the AP , with their SpaceX capsule parachuting into the Atlantic off the Florida coast. Returning were NASA astronauts Stephen Bowen and Warren "Woody" Hoburg, Russia's Andrei Fedyaev, and the United Arab...
US Sues SpaceX,
Which Elon Musk
Says Is 'Insane'
Aug 26, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
US Sues SpaceX, Which Elon Musk Says Is 'Insane'
Department of Justice alleges hiring discrimination
- The US Department of Justice on Thursday sued SpaceX, the rocket company founded and run by Elon Musk, for alleged hiring discrimination against refugees and people granted asylum, the AP reports. The complaint, filed in an administrative court within the department, asserts that SpaceX wrongly claimed that federal export control...
Forced to Swerve
Every 10 Minutes
Jul 16, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
SpaceX Satellites Forced to Swerve Every 10 Minutes
That's an average, based on 25K avoidance maneuvers reported in 6 months
- Space is unimaginably vast, so you'd think there would be more than enough room for whatever you want to put into orbit. SpaceX and Starlink engineers would likely tell you it's not that simple. An FCC report filed by the Elon Musk-led satellite internet provider on June 30...
Just Hired a
Jun 13, 2023 3:27 PM CDT
Elon Musk Just Hired a 14-Year-Old Prodigy
Kairan Quazi is graduating from Santa Clara University this week
- Kairan Quazi isn't even old enough for his first prom, but he's got a date with Elon Musk. As CBS News reports, the 14-year-old Californian is graduating Santa Clara University this week and heading directly to Redmond, Washington, (with his mom) where he'll take up a position...
First Saudi Woman
Is Headed to Space
in Very Pricey Trip
May 21, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
First Saudi Woman Is Headed to Space in Very Pricey Trip
Along with a record-holding NASA astronaut on a very expensive private SpaceX flight
- Saudi Arabia’s first astronauts in decades rocketed toward the International Space Station on a chartered multimillion-dollar flight Sunday. SpaceX launched the ticket-holding crew, led by a retired NASA astronaut now working for the company that arranged the trip. Also on board, per the AP : a US businessman who now...
May 2, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
More Fallout for SpaceX's Rocket Launch
Environmental groups aren't happy and are suing the FAA over Starship's launch
- Wildlife and environmental groups sued the Federal Aviation Administration on Monday over SpaceX’s launch last month of its giant rocket from Texas. SpaceX’s Starship soared 24 miles high before exploding over the Gulf of Mexico on April 20. The rocket's self-destruct system caused the nearly 400-foot rocket...
Starship Was Launched
Without Normal Protections
Apr 26, 2023 4:26 PM CDT
Starship Was Launched Without Normal Protections
Launch obliterated launchpad, spread debris much further than expected
- Before last Thursday's launch, SpaceX warned that its Starship rocket was likely to explode—but the company did not predict that the launch would obliterate the launchpad, causing particulate matter to spread over a much wider area than expected. As is standard practice, the Federal Aviation Administration has grounded...
Elon Musk's No Good,
Very Bad, $13B-Loss Day
Apr 21, 2023 11:24 AM CDT
Elon Musk's No Good, Very Bad, $13B-Loss Day
Perfect storm involving 3 of his firms leads to financial fallout for CEO
- It's been a challenging few days for Elon Musk: Tesla had a disappointing earnings call on Wednesday, his SpaceX rocket exploded minutes after takeoff on Thursday, and Twitter continues to ... go through some things . The CEO took a big financial hit amid these struggles from all of his three...
Ends in Flames
Apr 20, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Starship's Launch Ends in Flames
World's most powerful rocket doesn't quite make it into the atmosphere
- SpaceX's massive rocket did indeed get off the ground on Thursday morning, but it quickly returned there in flames and never made it into orbit, reports the
New York Times
. Starship exploded over the Gulf of Mexico minutes after liftoff from the SpaceX facility in Boca Chica, Texas; it...
SpaceX Scrubs Launch
of World's Biggest Rocket
Apr 17, 2023 8:43 AM CDT
SpaceX Scrubs Launch of World's Biggest Rocket
Elon Musk's company delays test flight of Starship
- SpaceX still plans to launch a behemoth into space—the world's largest and most powerful rocket known as Starship—but it's not happening Monday as planned. The nearly 400-foot-tall rocket was on the launch pad at the company's facility in Boca Chica, Texas, but the company called...
Cleared for Launch
Apr 15, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Most Powerful Rocket Ever Cleared for Launch
Uncrewed Starship is scheduled for Monday morning liftoff
- After receiving the all-clear from the Federal Aviation Administration, SpaceX plans its first test flight of the most powerful rocket ever built. The launch of the crewless Starship is scheduled for 7am Monday from the company's base east of Brownsville, Texas, Phys.org reports. The Starship spacecraft consists of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.