Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
On Bloody Sunday Anniversary,
Families Again Call for Justice
Jan 30, 2022 3:05 PM CST
On Bloody Sunday Anniversary, Families Again Call for Justice
British paratroopers opened fire on demonstrators in Derry, giving rise to decades of violence
- Hundreds of people on Sunday walked the route of marchers who were killed by British paratroopers a half-century ago in Northern Ireland during a civil rights demonstration. Family members of those shot to death in Derry on what's now known as Bloody Sunday were among those at the remembrance,...
Biden Signs Order,
Saying to 'Let
the People Vote'
Mar 7, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Biden Signs Order, Saying to 'Let the People Vote'
Voting rights decree comes on the anniversary of Bloody Sunday
- On the 56th anniversary of the Bloody Sunday march, President Biden signed an executive order intended to guarantee voting rights. "Every eligible voter should be able to vote and have that vote counted," Biden said Sunday in a remote address to the Martin and Coretta King Unity Breakfast,...
Soldier Faces Murder Charges
47 Years After Bloody Sunday
Mar 14, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Soldier Faces Murder Charges 47 Years After Bloody Sunday
18 other suspects are off the hook
- The first charges have been laid 47 years after Northern Ireland's Bloody Sunday, when 13 demonstrators were shot and killed by British troops. A former paratrooper is charged with the murders of two men, James Wray and William McKinney, and the attempted murders of four others: Patrick O'Donnell,...
'Bloody Sunday' Bridge
Mar 8, 2015 10:43 PM CDT
Thousands Jam 'Bloody Sunday' Bridge
Huge crowd marks 50th anniversary
- Thousands of people crowded an Alabama bridge on Sunday, many jammed shoulder to shoulder and unable to move, to commemorate a bloody confrontation 50 years ago between police and peaceful protesters that helped bring about the 1965 Voting Rights Act. A day after President Obama walked atop the Edmund Pettus...
May 18, 2011 4:34 PM CDT
In Ireland, Queen Passes on Guinness
Guinness may be good for you , but she'll skip Ireland's famous export
- Queen Elizabeth II's journey of reconciliation to Ireland this week has been serious business—given the violent history between the two countries—which is why one might've expected Her Majesty and Prince Phillip to welcome a fresh pint of Guinness with open arms. But even the expert preparation...
'Bloody Sunday' Report
Blames British Soldiers
Jun 15, 2010 2:00 PM CDT
'Bloody Sunday' Report Blames British Soldiers
PM David Cameron apologizes to Irish victims of 1972
- Relatives of 13 Irish demonstrators shot to death by British troops on Northern Ireland 's Bloody Sunday cried tears of joy today as an epic fact-finding probe ruled that their loved ones were innocent and the soldiers entirely to blame for the 1972 slaughter. The investigation took 12 years and...
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.