Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Bombshell ObamaCare Ruling
Hinges on a Key Principle
Dec 17, 2018 9:45 AM CST
Bombshell ObamaCare Ruling Hinges on a Key Principle
And some think Texas judge Reed O'Connor overreached on 'severability'
- A Texas judge delivered a bombshell ruling on ObamaCare Friday night, declaring that the Affordable Care Act is unconstitutional. US District Court Judge Reed O'Connor ruled that the individual mandate—the penalty those who forgo insurance must pay—is unconstitutional. And because the individual mandate is so integral to...
Group Puts Huge Price Tag on
Sanders' Plan. He Fires Back
Jul 30, 2018 11:42 AM CDT
Group Puts Huge Price Tag on Sanders' Plan. He Fires Back
Libertarian group says his 'Medicare for All' proposal would cost $32 trillion
- Bernie Sanders' "Medicare for all" plan would increase government health care spending by $32.6 trillion over 10 years, according to a study by a university-based libertarian policy center. The latest plan from the Vermont independent would require historic tax increases as government replaces what employers and consumers now...
New ObamaCare Numbers
May 15, 2018 7:28 AM CDT
New ObamaCare Numbers Look 'Troubling'
Rates are going up by double digits and younger, healthier enrollees are leaving
- Three states so far have come out with preliminary premium-rate requests for ObamaCare in 2019, and a column by Catherine Rampell at the
suggests that a "death spiral" is underway for the health insurance program. Maryland's average rate increase is 30%, Virginia's is 13.4%,...
Want Cheaper Prescriptions?
Don't Always Use Insurance
Mar 14, 2018 5:02 PM CDT
Want Cheaper Prescriptions? Don't Always Use Insurance
Study finds drugs often cheaper than insurance co-pays
- Having health insurance means saving money on prescriptions, right? Not necessarily. A study published Tuesday in
found insurance co-pays for generic drugs were actually higher than the cost of the drug 28% of the time. For name-brand drugs, it was 6%. Say your insurance has a $10 co-pay for...
It Cost $648K to Save Her.
Here's Why That Didn't Ruin Her
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 4, 2018 7:09 AM CST
It Cost $648K to Save Her. Here's Why That Didn't Ruin Her
Molly Osberg on the illness that nearly killed her
- It cost $648,221.53 to keep Molly Osberg alive. Well, it didn't personally cost her that much. The cut insurance had her pay was $2,654.42, and in a long piece for Splinter , she does two things: chart her extreme and sudden illness, and make the case...
Her Pain Drove Her
to the ER. The Bill
Hurt Much More
Jan 31, 2018 11:03 AM CST
Her Pain Drove Her to the ER. The Bill Hurt Much More
Vox looks at new policy Anthem is testing
- Brittany Cloyd is like plenty of other 27-year-olds: married with a mortgage, student loan payments, and less than $1,000 in the bank. Which made a $12,596 hospital bill all the more distressing. Cloyd has insurance, but as Sarah Kliff explains in a larger look at the issue for...
I Gave Birth to Sick Twins, Lost
My House, My Bed, My Dignity
in case you missed it
Jan 20, 2018 12:54 PM CST
I Gave Birth to Sick Twins, Lost My House, My Bed, My Dignity
Jen Sinconis describes her experience with medical debt for the 'Guardian'
- In an essay for the
, Jen Sinconis pens a sort of love letter to two ObamaCare tenets: a ban on lifetime limits on most benefits and on denying people insurance due to pre-existing conditions. Sinconis had access to neither when she had her twin boys 11 years ago. The...
Teen to Aetna After Brain
Surgery Denied: 'Screw You'
Dec 12, 2017 9:51 AM CST
Teen to Aetna After Brain Surgery Denied: 'Screw You'
Parents of girl wracked by seizures now trying to come up with $300K on their own
- When Cara Pressman gets seizures, she describes it as "like having a nightmare but while you're awake," giving her the chills and the shakes and causing her to zone out for up to two minutes. So the 15-year-old, who a release says is from New York and...
CVS Makes $66B Move
Oct 27, 2017 9:40 AM CDT
Fearing Amazon, CVS Makes $66B Move
Pairing of an insurer with a pharmaceutical company 'makes a lot of sense' to some
- It's more big news in the world of health insurance—and potentially for the wallets of consumers—though this time it doesn't revolve around the fate of ObamaCare. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that CVS has offered to buy giant insurer Aetna for $66 billion. Why? One big...
Rise Sharply for
2nd Year in a Row
Oct 26, 2017 1:00 AM CDT
ObamaCare Premiums Rise Sharply for 2nd Year in a Row
Most popular plans up by an average of 34%
- Premiums for the most popular ObamaCare plans are going up an average of 34%, according to a study released Wednesday that confirms dire predictions about the impact of political turmoil on consumers. Window-shopping on HealthCare.gov went live Wednesday, so across the country consumers going online can see the consequences...
18 States Sue to Stop
Trump's ObamaCare Cut
Oct 14, 2017 9:23 AM CDT
18 States Sue to Stop Trump's ObamaCare Cut
Trump boasts about health stocks falling
- President Trump's move to axe a major ObamaCare subsidy has been taken to court—and it's probably going to be there for years to come, analysts say. The Democratic attorneys general of 18 states and Washington, DC filed a lawsuit in federal court on Friday, the day after...
Trump's 2nd Move Could
Be Crippling to ObamaCare
Oct 13, 2017 6:50 AM CDT
Trump's 2nd Move Could Be Crippling to ObamaCare
He's ending crucial subsidies to insurers, but a potential deal to save them is in the works
- In a move that analysts say could be a devastating blow to ObamaCare, President Trump is ending one of the health care bill's crucial subsidies. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed Thursday night that the federal government will stop "cost-sharing reduction" payments to health insurers, which...
Trump: Americans Will
Be 'Very Happy' on
New Health-Care Move
Oct 12, 2017 12:06 PM CDT
Trump: Americans Will Be 'Very Happy' on New Health-Care Move
Executive order would give individuals flexibility to choose cheaper plans, could roil markets
- With his ObamaCare repeal repeatedly foiled in Congress, President Trump vowed to use the "power of the pen" to change things instead. On Thursday, he began the process by signing an executive order designed to loosen the rules on how individuals can buy insurance, reports the
New York Times
Texas Cities Are Top
in Uninsured Residents
Sep 15, 2017 4:29 PM CDT
Texas Cities Are Top in Uninsured Residents
Cities in California have lowest rates of uninsured
- Seven of the 10 US cities with the lowest rates of uninsured Americans are in California. On the flip side, eight of the 10 cities with the highest rates of uninsured residents are in Texas. That's according to WalletHub , which reviewed the overall insurance rates in 547 US cities...
CBO: Trump's Health Strategy
Would Hike Costs 20% in 2018
Aug 16, 2017 6:33 AM CDT
CBO: Trump's Health Strategy Would Hike Costs 20% in 2018
If president stops ObamaCare subsidies, premiums will rise dramatically for 'silver' plan
- People buying individual health-care policies would face higher premiums, and some may be left with no insurance options, if President Trump makes good on his threat to stop ObamaCare payments to insurers. That's the conclusion of a new report by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, the AP reports. More...
Woman Stuck in Alaska After
Terminal Cancer Diagnosis
Jul 26, 2017 10:48 AM CDT
Woman Stuck in Alaska After Terminal Cancer Diagnosis
- A couple who left on a two-week "trip of a lifetime" to see mountains and glaciers in Alaska in late April is now stuck in a hospital in Anchorage. Nancy and Paul Greathouse, who married later in life, had both recently retired after working for 40 years. This was...
More Democrats Sign On
to 'Single-Payer' Idea
Jul 10, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
More Democrats Sign On to 'Single-Payer' Idea
Sanders readies his own plan for insurance system reviled on the right
- Senators are back at work Monday, and their No. 1 priority remains trying to craft an alternative to ObamaCare. The problem is that Mitch McConnell's task of getting the necessary 50 votes seems to have gotten only more difficult over the holiday break, and that's raising a slew...
Number of Uninsured
Has Jumped by 2M in 2017
Jul 10, 2017 8:49 AM CDT
Number of Uninsured Has Jumped by 2M in 2017
Uptick is 'statistically significant' as coverage gains start to erode, analysts say
- The number of US adults without health insurance has grown by some 2 million this year, according to a major new survey that finds recent coverage gains beginning to erode. The new numbers highlight what's at stake as Congress returns to an unresolved debate over Republican proposals to roll...
Ted Cruz May
Jul 5, 2017 2:55 PM CDT
Ted Cruz May Have Solved GOP Health Care Problem
Cruz amendment being considered by CBO
- Ted Cruz could be the one to push an ObamaCare repeal and replacement through the House and Senate, the Hill reports. A GOP aide says the Congressional Budget Office is looking at two versions of the Better Care Reconciliation Act—one of which contains an amendment by Cruz that is...
CBO: 23M More Americans
Uninsured Under GOP Bill
May 24, 2017 5:05 PM CDT
CBO: 23M More Americans Uninsured Under GOP Bill
The AHCA would reduce the deficit by $119B
- The American Health Care Act passed by House Republicans earlier this month will reduce the deficit by $119 billion over the next decade—while leaving 23 million more Americans without insurance than if ObamaCare remains in place, according to the Congressional Budget Office's score of the bill released Wednesday....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.