Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
4th Death Linked to Outbreak
May 22, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Eyedrops Recall: 4th Death Linked to Outbreak
CDC counts more than 80 people affected in 18 states by EzriCare artificial tears
- A fourth death has been linked to an outbreak of drug-resistant bacteria blamed on eyedrops, reports
. The CDC now counts 81 patients in 18 states affected by the outbreak, which prompted the recall of EzriCare artificial tears, made by Global Pharma Healthcare. The CDC also warns people to...
FDA Issues Warning
on Amniotic Fluid
Apr 27, 2023 1:14 PM CDT
FDA Issues Warning on Amniotic Fluid Eye Drops
Agency says products have not been approved
- Amniotic fluid—the fluid that surrounds a fetus in the womb—is among the many things that you shouldn't put in your eyes, the Food and Drug Administration says. In a notification issued earlier this month, the agency said manufacturers are "marketing and distributing amniotic fluid eyedrops" for...
More Deaths Linked
to Superbug From Eye Drops
Mar 23, 2023 1:01 PM CDT
More Deaths Linked to Superbug From Eye Drops
Users of recalled products should watch out for symptoms of Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Two more Americans infected with an antibiotic-resistant bacteria linked to eye drops have died. The CDC, which warned against using the preservative-free EzriCare Artificial Tears in January following the death of a man in Washington state, said two others had died with
infections linked to eye drops. "...
CDC: Stop Using
These Eye Drops
Feb 1, 2023 4:25 PM CST
CDC: Stop Using These Eye Drops
Outbreak of antibiotic-resistant bacteria may be linked to EzriCare Artificial Tears
- The CDC is warning that anyone using EzriCare Artificial Tears should stop following the death of one person from a bacterial infection that's potentially linked to the over-the-counter eye drops. From May to Jan. 19, the CDC identified at least 50 people in 11 states with an infection of...
of Killing Friend
With Eye Drops
Jun 7, 2021 2:01 PM CDT
Woman Accused of Killing Friend With Eye Drops
Jessy Kurczewski charged with homicide
- Prosecutors have accused a suburban Milwaukee woman of killing her friend by poisoning her with eye drops. Jessy Kurczewski, 37, was charged Friday with homicide and two counts of felony theft, according to online court records. A criminal complaint shows the case began in 2018 when Kurczewski called police to...
Drop by Drop,
Killed His Wife
Dec 22, 2019 1:30 PM CST
Drop by Drop, Prosecutor Says, Man Killed His Wife
Husband collected $250K from insurance policies
- "They said she had a heart attack," a neighbor in the Charlotte area said. Stacy Hunsucker did have heart problems; she had a pacemaker. But a North Carolina prosecutor says that's not why she died last year. Blood that remained after an organ donation provided a clue,...
Eyedrops Are Too Big,
and It's Costing Us Billions
Oct 18, 2017 5:15 PM CDT
Eyedrops Are Too Big, and It's Costing Us Billions
ProPublica investigation deals with health care waste
- When you put eyedrops in your eye and a bunch of the liquid spills out, that's not necessarily user error. A ProPublica investigation , part of the publication's series on how billions of health care dollars are wasted each year, finds that eyedrops are way too big—some of...
Eye Drops Could
Apr 3, 2013 12:37 PM CDT
Anti-Cholesterol Eye Drops Could Fight Blindness
Fatty buildup linked to macular degeneration: study
- Cholesterol-lowering eye drops may soon have another use: fighting blindness associated with macular degeneration. Researchers at Washington University School of Medicine found that immune cells known as macrophages can become "bloated" with fatty deposits. The resulting inflammation can cause new blood vessels to form; these vessels are linked to...
Was Chris Brown
Crying Fake Tears
at BET Awards?
eyedrop conspiracy theory
Jul 1, 2010 10:30 AM CDT
Was Chris Brown Crying Fake Tears at BET Awards?
Witness says he used tear-inducing eye drops
- The fallen Chris Brown got plenty of attention and thumbs up for basically sobbing during his tribute to Michael Jackson at the BET Awards. But was it all a sham?
talked to a "backstage source" who says one of the singer's bodyguards gave him tear-inducing eyedrops immediately...
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.