Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake,
Now a Tsunami Warning
Dec 2, 2023 11:30 AM CST
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
- A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.6 struck Saturday night off the coast of the southern Philippine island of Mindanao, and Philippine authorities issued a tsunami warning. The quake struck at 10:37pm local time at a depth of 20 miles, according to the US Geological Survey....
'World's Saddest Elephant'
Dies After Decades of Isolation
Nov 29, 2023 2:26 PM CST
'World's Saddest Elephant' Dies After Decades of Isolation
Mali was the only elephant in the Philippines for decades
- An elephant that animal rights activists called the "world's saddest" has died in Manila, where she was the only elephant in the zoo—and the country. Manila Mayor Honey Lacuna announced the death of the female Asian elephant on Wednesday, CBS News reports. Mali—short for Vishwa Ma'...
Big Quake Hits,
Crumbling Mall Ceilings
Nov 17, 2023 8:58 AM CST
Big Quake Hits, Crumbling Mall Ceilings
Magnitude 6.7 temblor caused ceilings to plunge to the ground at 2 shopping centers in Philippines
- A powerful undersea earthquake shook the southern Philippines on Friday, causing ceilings in shopping malls to plunge to the ground as shoppers screamed. There were no immediate reports of injuries, and no tsunami warning was in effect. The magnitude 6.7 quake was located 16 miles from Burias at the...
Radio Anchor Fatally
Shot on Livestream
Nov 5, 2023 5:31 AM CST
Radio Anchor Fatally Shot on Livestream
Philippine broadcaster Juan Jumalon was killed by unknown assailant as people watched on Facebook
- A radio anchor was fatally shot by a man inside his southern Philippine station Sunday in a brazen attack that was witnessed by people watching the program live on Facebook. The gunman gained entry into the home-based radio station of provincial news broadcaster Juan Jumalon by pretending to be a...
Musk: X Is
'Not a Bot' Fee
Oct 18, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Musk: X Is Implementing 'Not a Bot' Fee
CEO of former Twitter says new users in 2 nations are being charged $1 to tweet, retweet, like posts
- If you've been fearing the day would come when X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, would start to charge regular non-blue-check people for the privilege of posting, that day has come, for some.
reports that the social media site began hitting new users only—and just those...
Ad Agency Sorry Tourism Video
Used 'Inappropriate' Images
Jul 3, 2023 9:03 AM CDT
Ad Agency Sorry Tourism Video Used 'Inappropriate' Images
Some 'Philippines' footage was actually from UAE, Brazil, and other nations, agency sheepishly admits
- There's nothing wrong with sharing a promotional video showing off your country's breathtaking rice terraces and sand dunes—unless, of course, those rice terraces and sand dunes aren't actually in your own country. That's what ad agency DDB Philippines is now apologizing for after it was...
800K Maryland License Plates
Feature a Very Odd URL
Jun 1, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
800K Maryland License Plates Feature a Very Odd URL
Website on older plates now lead to a site that promotes online casinos in the Philippines
- Nearly 800,000 cars in Maryland are driving around with older license plates featuring a tribute to the War of 1812, as well as a URL that's causing the state's Motor Vehicle Administration a bit of a headache. Per WBAL , the plates feature a drawing of Fort McHenry,...
Real-Life Crucifixions Are Back
After 3-Year COVID Pause
Apr 7, 2023 9:06 AM CDT
Real-Life Crucifixions Are Back After 3-Year COVID Pause
Church frowns on Good Friday reenactment of Jesus' suffering, but it's tradition in Philippines
- Eight Filipinos were nailed to crosses to reenact Jesus Christ's suffering in a gory Good Friday tradition that draws thousands of devotees and tourists to the Philippines, despite the practice being rejected by the Catholic Church. The real-life crucifixions in the farming village of San Pedro Cutud in Pampanga...
This Nation Spends
the Most Time Online
Apr 1, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
This Nation Spends the Most Time Online
South Africans spend average 578 minutes per day on the internet, per Atlas VPN
- It can be hard to accurately estimate how much time we spend online, though Atlas VPN notes that for many of us, it's a "significant portion of our day." Using data on internet usage trends among internet users 16 to 64 years old, the VPN service found...
Biden's Critics Have a Theme:
Shoot Down the Balloon
Feb 3, 2023 2:05 PM CST
Biden's Critics Have a Theme: Shoot Down the Balloon
Pentagon is so far resisting the idea
- China has admitted that the balloon first spotted high above Montana is one of its own. Beijing insists it's a wayward weather balloon, while the US suspects it's a spy balloon. Whichever is the case, a theme has emerged on the right. "SHOOT DOWN THE BALLOON,"...
US Just Made a Move
to Counter China
Feb 2, 2023 11:30 AM CST
US Just Made a Move to Counter China
US forces get access to 4 more sites in the Philippines
- The US has struck a military deal with the Philippines in what the
New York Times
see as a clear move to counter China's might in the region. Defense chief Lloyd Austin and Philippines leader Ferdinand Marcos Jr. announced Thursday that US forces will have...
Human Rights Abuses
Dec 10, 2022 2:15 PM CST
Protesters Denounce Human Rights Abuses
Extrajudicial killings are increasing under Marcos, Philippine opponents say
- Hundreds of people marched in the Philippine capital on Saturday protesting what they said was a rising number of extrajudicial killings and other injustices under the administration of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. The protesters, led by a Philippines-based rights group, gathered at a public square in Manila before marching toward...
The Odds of This Lottery
Outcome Are Just Insane
Oct 4, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
The Odds of This Lottery Outcome Are Just Insane
433 to share jackpot in Philippines after Saturday's unusual draw
- Individuals who purchased winning tickets for a $4 million lottery jackpot in the Philippines will have to settle for less than $10,000 each following Saturday's controversial draw. A total of 433 people selected the winning combination in the Grand Lotto lottery, which was highly unusual. The six numbers—...
Court Upholds Nobel Winner's
'Cyber Libel' Conviction
Jul 8, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
Court Upholds Nobel Winner's 'Cyber Libel' Conviction
Ressa was prosecuted under Philippines law that took effect after story was published
: Maria Ressa's Nobel Peace Prize wasn't enough to convince a court in the Philippines of the merits of her appeal against a "cyber libel" conviction. The court not only upheld the convictions of the Rappler news site co-founder and former staffer Reynaldo Santos Jr., it increased...
'This Is Intimidation'
Jun 29, 2022 1:24 PM CDT
Nobel Peace Prize Winner: 'This Is Intimidation'
Maria Ressa decries ordered shutdown of Rappler in Philippines
- Months after winning a Nobel Peace Prize for her efforts to "expose abuse of power, use of violence, and growing authoritarianism" in the Philippines, Maria Ressa says local authorities have ordered her Rappler news site to shut down. Ressa, a former CNN bureau chief and
Person of the...
Philippine Gov't Attorney
Killed in Uber on
Jun 20, 2022 1:50 AM CDT
Philippine Gov't Attorney Killed in Uber on US Vacation
It's not clear whether he was targeted
- A government attorney for the Philippines was fatally shot in an Uber while visiting Philadelphia, officials said Sunday. John Albert Laylo was heading to Philadelphia International Airport with his mother to board a flight and was stopped in the Uber at a red light near the University of Pennsylvania around...
7 Dead After Philippine
Ferry Goes Up in Flames
May 23, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
7 Dead After Philippine Ferry Goes Up in Flames
120 people were rescued in Monday disaster
- A ferry carrying more than 130 people caught fire Monday while approaching a northeastern Philippine province, killing at least seven people while most passengers and crewmembers were rescued, the coast guard said. At least seven people remained missing and 23 others were injured and brought to a hospital, including the...
Missing Picasso Spotted
on Imelda Marcos' Wall
May 16, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Missing Picasso Spotted on Imelda Marcos' Wall
Anti-corruption officials attempted to seize it in the past
- It’s doubtful anyone was surprised, but the appearance of a long-missing Picasso painting in footage from a recent Marcos family gathering certainly raised some eyebrows, particularly those of Ruben Carranza, who served on the Presidential Commission on Good Government, according to the
The PCGG was established in 1986...
It Looks Like a Landslide
for Dictator's Son
May 9, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
It Looks Like a Landslide for Dictator's Son
Ferdinand Marcos Jr. way ahead in early results from the Philippines
- The son and namesake of ousted Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos took a commanding lead in an unofficial vote count in Monday’s presidential election in the deeply divided democracy. With 80% of the votes tabulated, Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had 25.9 million, far ahead of his closest challenger, current Vice...
With New Law,
Mar 7, 2022 8:27 AM CST
With New Law, Philippines Creates 'Line That Adults Cannot Cross'
President Duterte signs bill raising age of consent from 12 to 16 to help prevent sex abuse, rape
- For decades, activists in the Philippines have been lobbying to get a law passed that would raise the age of sexual consent from 12 to 16. Finally, their efforts have paid off. On Monday, the office of President Rodrigo Duterte announced he'd signed a bill into law that officially...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.