Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden's Birthday Keeps
His Age in the Spotlight
Nov 20, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Biden's Birthday Keeps His Age in the Spotlight
President turns 81 on Monday, with conversation continuing on whether he's too old to run
- It's set to be a busy day at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. on Monday, with a trio of noteworthy events taking place: the annual pre-Thanksgiving pardoning of turkeys, the delivery of the White House's Christmas tree, and the 81st birthday of President Biden, already the oldest president in America'...
Patient Pulls Off
Grueling Feat at
Sep 18, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Elderly Cancer Patient Pulls Off Grueling Feat at Grand Canyon
Fran Anderson, 81, finishes 24-mile rim-to-rim hike in 21 hours, with family by her side
- An 81-year-old grandmother of nine with blood cancer who nearly died of pneumonia a few months back has pulled off a feat that would test even the healthiest among us. On Sept. 4, Fran Anderson of Orange, California, finished a rim-to-rim hike across the Grand Canyon, a 24-mile trek that...
He Lost Life Savings to Scam.
The Bank Stepped Up
Sep 12, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
He Lost Life Savings to Scam. The Bank Stepped Up
Australia's ANZ recognized 78-year-old Alex Shaw, who has dementia, had been taken for $300K
- An elderly man from Down Under who was scammed out of his life savings has received a reprieve, in a tale described by the Good News Network as "a story of corporate responsibility in the face of personal tragedy." ABC Australia notes that although scam victims in the...
Fed Her Home
in case you missed it
Aug 6, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Woman, 87, Fed Her Home Invader
Maine's Marjorie Perkins says she fought off teen home intruder, then fed him a meal
- An elderly woman not only fought off an intruder who broke into her Maine home—she made sure he was well-fed before he went on his way. The
reports that 87-year-old Marjorie Perkins of Brunswick was fast asleep last Wednesday when she woke up to find a young...
Power of Attorney
Aug 4, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Daughter Has Power of Attorney Over Congress' Oldest Member
Questions arise at revelation over control of Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein's legal affairs
- Dianne Feinstein turned 90 last month, but the Democratic senator is still punching in for duty on Capitol Hill, despite not-so-subtle whispers about her cognitive abilities and overall health . Now, a new revelation has emerged via the
New York Times
, which reports that Feinstein's only child, 66-year-old daughter Katherine...
Couple Celebrating 50th
Anniversary Killed at Home
Jun 26, 2023 11:43 AM CDT
Couple Celebrating 50th Anniversary Killed at Home
Police near Boston say a third person also was fatally stabbed in same attack
- Police near Boston are investigating a brutal triple homicide: Three elderly people were stabbed to death in the same Newton home, including a married couple who were celebrating their 50th anniversary, reports Boston.com . Police found signs of forced entry and say it appears they were the victims of a...
Woman, 95, Tasered
by Cops at Nursing Home
May 19, 2023 5:03 AM CDT
Woman, 95, Tasered by Cops at Nursing Home
Police in Australia say Clare Nowland refused to drop steak knife
- A 95-year-old Australian woman with dementia is in critical condition after being tasered by police officers who were called to her nursing home. Police say staff at the home in Cooma, south of Canberra, told them Clare Nowland had taken a steak knife from the kitchen, 9News reports. Police say...
Said to Be the
Jan 7, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Goodbye to an American Said to Be the Nation's Oldest
Iowa's Bessie Laurena Hendricks has died at age 115
- Bessie Laurena Hendricks was born in Iowa, and she died in Iowa, with more than a century sandwiched in between those two dates. A local funeral home delivers the news that the Lake City resident—thought to be the oldest person in the United States, per the Gerontology Research Group—...
Study Sees Unexpected Benefit
for Kids Who Play Music
Aug 29, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Study Sees Unexpected Benefit for Kids Who Play Music
Learning an instrument early may help keep the mind sharp in old age, study suggests
- A new study out of Scotland offers a powerful argument for having children or teens learn a musical instrument—they may end up with sharper minds in old age. The study from the University of Edinburgh found what researchers describe as a small but "statistically significant" link between the...
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit'
Got Out of Jail, Began
Robbing Banks Again
Aug 9, 2022 12:41 PM CDT
Cops: 'Old Man Bandit' Got Out of Jail, Began Robbing Banks Again
Steven Gregory Gass didn't learn his lesson in prison the first time around, say Maryland police
- The "Old Man Bandit" has been arrested after trying to rob a Maryland bank—one of dozens he's targeted over a criminal career spanning 45 years, according to police. Montgomery County Police say Steven Gregory Gass, 67—who served more than eight years in prison in Florida after...
If You Get a Call From
'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
Jun 21, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
If You Get a Call From 'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
$13M has been stolen from the elderly in a rare-wine scam
- The world of fine wine and whiskey continues to be a magnet for thieves and frauds . The
reports on allegations that three England-based companies claiming huge returns on investments in rare booze actually stole more than $13 million from at least 150 Americans—many of them elderly. Representatives...
Cite Concerns on
Apr 15, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
Lawmakers Cite Concerns on Feinstein's Memory, She Balks
'I'm rather puzzled,' 88-year-old Dem senator says of 'Chronicle' report on her mental acuity
- Dianne Feinstein is pushing back on a report that her memory is fading and she may be mentally unfit to continue serving in the US Senate—concerns voiced even by fellow Democrats. On Thursday, the
San Francisco Chronicle
published those concerns from ex-staffers, four senators (three of them Democrats), and...
Extra Bad News
Dec 13, 2021 7:42 AM CST
New COVID Milestone Bears Extra Bad News for Elderly
As US reaches 800K deaths, numbers show that 1 in 100 older Americans have died from virus
New York Times
reports that the United States is "on the cusp" of reaching 800,000 COVID deaths. By Reuters' tally, we're already there, with the news group noting that death toll is more than the entire population of North Dakota. Either way, additional stats accompanying that...
Victim Sues Her Bank
Oct 11, 2021 11:02 AM CDT
'Grandparent Scam' Victim Sues Her Bank
Florida widow lost more than $700K, says bank was negligent
- The "grandparent scam" has been around for a while, but the
Tampa Bay Times
reports on one with a particularly large payday and an unusual legal twist. An attorney for 82-year-old Anna Nunn of Florida says his widowed client was bilked of more than $700,000—and she's...
Marking New Event, Pope Says
the Generations Must Connect
Jul 25, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Marking New Event, Pope Says the Generations Must Connect
Francis draws applause in celebrating first World Day for Grandparents and Elderly
- Pope Francis celebrated the Roman Catholic Church's first World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly on Sunday. Francis solicited a round of applause from the faithful in St. Peter's Square and urged people everywhere to reach out to older generations, the AP reports. Francis was supposed to have...
Thanks to Morse
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Elderly Couple Escapes Facility Thanks to Morse Code Skills
Husband and wife with dementia, Alzheimer's were found on street 2 blocks from assisted living unit
- On March 2, someone spotted an elderly man and woman wandering the streets of Lebanon, Tenn., and it was soon determined they'd somehow escaped the memory unit of their assisted living facility. Once the pair—a husband and wife who have dementia and Alzheimer's—were safely returned, curious...
'I Don't Know It': Mom With
Dementia Plays Beethoven
Nov 15, 2020 1:30 PM CST
'I Don't Know It': Mom With Dementia Plays Beethoven
For Elaine Lebar, 92, 'life makes sense' at the piano
- Elaine Lebar may have dementia, but she still knows her way around a keyboard—and hasn't forgotten the third movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata," TMZ reports. A video of the 92-year-old playing the piece recently became a hit on TikTok. "I don't know it,...
She Begged for Beer While
in Quarantine. She Got It
Apr 14, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
She Begged for Beer While in Quarantine. She Got It
Coors Light sends 10 cases of brew to 93-year-old Olive Veronesi after desperate window plea
- Olive Veronesi has her brewskis. The 93-year-old Pennsylvania woman became famous over the weekend after someone took a photo of her, stuck in coronavirus quarantine, standing in front of her window and holding a can of Coors Light and a sign that read: "I NEED MORE BEER!!" The...
86-Year-Old Dead in Apparent
Mar 30, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
86-Year-Old Dead in Apparent Social-Distancing Dust-Up
This may be NYC's first virus-related assault case
- Tensions are high in New York, considered the epicenter of the US coronavirus outbreak , and now the NYPD is looking into what the
New York Daily News
says may be the city's first social-distancing-related homicide. Cassandra Lundy, a 32-year-old seizure patient at Brooklyn's Woodhull hospital, allegedly hit 86-year-old...
Virus Patient, a 'Truly
Mar 30, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
For 101-Year-Old Virus Patient, a 'Truly Extraordinary' Recovery
'Mr. P' was born in 1919, during the Spanish flu pandemic
New York Post
is calling him a "living marvel," while
deems his case "miraculous." At the very least, a 101-year-old Italian man is making headlines after being released from the hospital after recovering from the coronavirus. CNN reports that "Mr. P" was admitted...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
Taylor Swift Hits a 10-Figure Milestone
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.