Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
All Charges Dismissed
in Duck Boat Accident
That Killed 17
Apr 6, 2022 2:31 AM CDT
All Charges Dismissed in Duck Boat Accident That Killed 17
But prosecutors say they want to refile
- All criminal charges against three employees involved in a deadly 2018 duck boat accident have been dropped. Kenneth Scott McKee, the captain; Charles Baltzell, the manager on duty; and Curtis Lanham, general manager, had all been charged with involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in the tragedy in Branson, Missouri, that...
Criminal Charges for 3
in Fatal Duck-Boat Accident
Jul 16, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
Criminal Charges for 3 in Fatal Duck-Boat Accident
17 died on vessel that sank in 2018 in Branson, Mo.
- A local prosecutor on Friday filed a total of 63 felony criminal charges against three employees over a July 2018 tourist boat accident on a Missouri lake that killed 17 people. The charges were filed in Stone County against the captain, the general manager, and the manager on duty the...
NTSB Lays Fault in
Deadly Duck Boat Sinking
Apr 29, 2020 12:33 PM CDT
NTSB Lays Fault in Deadly Duck Boat Sinking
Weather warning wasn't relayed to Ride the Ducks captain
- The 2018 sinking of a duck boat in southwest Missouri that resulted in the deaths of 17 people could've been avoided had closer attention been paid to the weather . That's the takeaway from a summary of the National Transportation Safety Board's final report on the accident on...
3 Years After Fatal Duck-Boat
Crash, a $123M Award
Feb 9, 2019 6:30 AM CST
3 Years After Fatal Duck-Boat Crash, a $123M Award
Victims and families of 2015 Seattle collision are handed decision by jury
- Dozens of victims of a 2015 duck boat crash in Washington state that killed five and injured more than 60 have just been handed a hefty sum by a Seattle jury. After what Law.com calls a "marathon trial" that started back in October—one of the plaintiff's...
Duck Boat Captain Indicted
in Sinking That Killed 17
Nov 8, 2018 6:00 PM CST
Duck Boat Captain Indicted in Sinking That Killed 17
An indictment says Kenneth McKee was negligent
- The captain of a tourist boat that sank in southwest Missouri and killed 17 people, including nine members of an Indiana family, didn't tell passengers to put on flotation devices or prepare them to abandon ship even after waves crashed into the boat during a severe storm, according to...
Duck Boat Tragedy: Firms Cite
1851 Law to Avoid Liability
Oct 16, 2018 7:14 PM CDT
Duck Boat Tragedy: Firms Cite 1851 Law to Avoid Liability
17 died as vessel sank in Missouri storm
- Two companies facing multiple lawsuits over a summer tourist boat accident in Missouri that killed 17 people have invoked an 1851 law that allows vessel owners to try to avoid or limit legal damages as they also seek settlement negotiations with victims' family members, the AP reports. But Tia Coleman,...
Feds Target Captains
of Sunken Duck Boat
Aug 30, 2018 9:02 AM CDT
Feds Target Captains of Sunken Duck Boat
Coast Guard found evidence of 'misconduct, negligence, or inattention'
- The duck boat sinking that killed 17 on a Missouri lake is now the subject of a federal criminal investigation after the Coast Guard found probable cause for negligence. The US Attorney's Office for the Western District of Missouri is seeking to delay civil lawsuits over the July 19...
Duck Boat Operators Ignored
Weather Alerts: $100M Suit
Jul 30, 2018 8:21 AM CDT
Duck Boat Operators Ignored Weather Alerts: $100M Suit
Faulty canopies, pumps also cited in complaint against owners, operators of Missouri vessel
- A lawsuit seeking $100 million in damages has been filed against the owners and operators of a duck boat that sank July 19 on a Missouri lake, killing 17 people. The federal lawsuit was filed Sunday on behalf of two members of an Indiana family who lost nine relatives when...
Duck-Boat Tragedy Video:
Trip Went From Calm to Frantic
Jul 28, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Duck-Boat Tragedy Video: Trip Went From Calm to Frantic
NTSB releases a preliminary timeline of what happened
- Now, the video. Federal officials have reviewed footage from the sunken Missouri duck boat to see how events unfolded and compare the launch time to severe-weather warnings for the area, the
Kansas City Star
reports. Per the National Transportation Safety Board, the trip went from leisurely to frantic within minutes...
Divers Raise Sunken
Duck Boat From Lake
Jul 23, 2018 1:45 PM CDT
Divers Raise Sunken Duck Boat From Lake
The NTSB will take custody as investigation continues
- The duck boat that capsized and sank last week on a sightseeing cruise was raised from a Missouri lake Monday, more than three days after the accident that killed 17 people near the tourist town of Branson. Divers attached a sling to the vessel, which was submerged in 80 feet...
Duck Boat Tragedy:
One Family's Survival
Jul 23, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
Duck Boat Tragedy: One Family's Survival 'Defies Probability'
There's apparently no real reason why the 9 of them made it
- The 17 people who died Thursday night when the duck boat they were riding sank on Table Rock Lake in Branson, Mo., have been identified . The
Kansas City Star
now identifies nine of the people who survived and something incredible about them: They're all from the same family, and...
Teen Girl Says Duck-Boat
Captain Was 'Freaking Out'
Jul 22, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Teen Girl Says Duck-Boat Captain Was 'Freaking Out'
And a private inspector says he warned the company about risks
- A teenager on the Missouri duck boat was apparently "freaking out" when it sank because the captain was doing the same. "She's sad—very sad," Mandi Keller of Texas says about her 15-year-old daughter Gillian, per the
Kansas City Star
. Gillian was with her father on...
Here's Who Died
on the Duck Boat
Jul 21, 2018 10:58 AM CDT
Here's Who Died on the Duck Boat
The Kansas City Star looks more closely at the victims
- After 17 died in a tragic duck-boat accident this week, a local vigil and a newspaper are honoring the dead. "This has been my community for 10 years, so just hearing about it last night I felt completely helpless at home, not feeling like there's anything I could...
Woman Who Lost 9 Family
Members on Duck Boat Speaks
Jul 21, 2018 5:30 AM CDT
Woman Who Lost 9 Family Members on Duck Boat Speaks
Tia Coleman says captain said life jackets weren't necessary
- Among the 31 people aboard the duck boat that capsized on Table Rock Lake in Branson, Missouri, Thursday night, were 11 members of an Indiana family , only two of whom survived. One of those survivors, Tia Coleman, spoke with Fox59 by phone Friday; she says the other survivor was her...
9 Members of One Family
Among Dead on Duck Boat
Jul 20, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
9 Members of One Family Among Dead on Duck Boat
Missouri disaster killed 17 in total
- More grim news out of Missouri with reports that nine of the 17 people killed when a duck boat capsized came from a single family. No further details about them were immediately available. Per
, two other members of that family survived the ordeal aboard the amphibious vessel as...
As Death Toll Hits 17, Questions
Rise About Weather Warning
Jul 20, 2018 11:42 AM CDT
As Death Toll Hits 17, Questions Rise About Weather Warning
National Weather Service warned of severe storm, but it's unclear if duck boat knew
- Four more bodies have been recovered from Table Rock Lake, bringing the confirmed death total to 17 in Thursday night's boat capsizing near Branson, Missouri. CNN reports that all of the missing have been accounted for after the tragedy involving a popular duck boat, which got caught in a...
Death Tolls Hits 13 in
Missouri Duck Boat Disaster
Jul 20, 2018 7:40 AM CDT
Death Tolls Hits 13 in Missouri Duck Boat Disaster
4 still missing in Table Rock Lake
- Severe weather is being blamed for what could be America's deadliest "duck boat" disaster. Authorities in Branson, Missouri, have confirmed that at least 13 people, including children, died Thursday night when an amphibious boat carrying tourists capsized and sank in Table Rock Lake. Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt....
'Duck Boat' Capsizes
in Missouri; 8 Are Dead
Jul 19, 2018 10:47 PM CDT
'Duck Boat' Capsizes in Missouri; 8 Are Dead
Several more injured at Table Rock Lake near Branson
- A summer tragedy near Branson, Missouri: Police say at least eight people are dead and several more injured or missing after a "duck boat" capsized in Table Rock Lake. Authorities suspect a fast-developing storm with winds of about 60mph is to blame, reports the
Kansas City Star
. The victims...
Woman Killed in
Crash With Duck
Apr 30, 2016 4:10 PM CDT
Woman Killed in Crash With Duck Tours Vehicle
She and a passenger were riding a scooter that ended up under the duck boat
- A 29-year-old woman has died after the scooter she was driving was struck by an amphibious sightseeing vehicle in downtown Boston on Saturday, the AP reports. A spokesperson for Boston Duck Tours says the tour group is cooperating with police following the collision. The crash happened around 11:30am near...
Duck Boat Never Got
Sep 28, 2015 1:10 AM CDT
Duck Boat Never Got Recommended Fix
5th victim of Seattle crash dies
- The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating last week's deadly Ride the Ducks crash in Seattle, and it looks as if the vehicle's operators are going to have to answer some very tough questions. The board says that Ride the Ducks International issued a warning about potential axle...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.