Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
a Change in Rhinos
Nov 1, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
Humans Triggered a Change in Rhinos
Horns have become smaller as a result of poaching, trophy hunting: study
- Rhinoceros horns have become smaller over the past 135 years, likely as a result of trophy hunting and poaching, according to researchers, who say the change might not be for the better. Rhinos continue to be targeted for their horns, used in traditional medicines and for trophies , resulting in strict...
Wildlife Populations Worldwide
Have Dropped 69% in 50 Years
Oct 13, 2022 6:41 AM CDT
Wildlife Populations Worldwide Have Dropped 69% in 50 Years
So says a new report by World Wildlife Fund, Zoological Society of London
- Humans' aggressive deforestation, plundering of the Earth for its natural resources, and contamination of the planet's air and water is not only putting our own species in a precarious position—it's managed to help wipe out more than two-thirds of the world's wildlife population in not even...
The Supreme Court Weighs
a Meaty Topic Involving Pigs
Oct 12, 2022 9:49 AM CDT
The Supreme Court Weighs a Meaty Topic Involving Pigs
California's animal-cruelty law requires more space for breeding pigs
- When it comes to pork production, California doesn't have much to speak of. It imports more than 99% of the pork it consumes, a figure NPR reports that translates into 13% of the pork produced in the US. On Tuesday, an animal-cruelty law surrounding that pork made its way...
One Way Animals
Keep Cool: Splooting
Aug 12, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
One Way Animals Keep Cool: Splooting
Twitter learns the DoggoLingo term for heat dumping
- Dogs sploot . Cats sploot . Bears sploot . Squirrels sploot . And on a hot day, you might just catch one in the act, as New Yorkers learned this week. "If you see a squirrel lying down like this, don't worry; it's just fine," NYC Parks tweeted Tuesday alongside...
It's the Biggest Freshwater
Fish Ever Recorded
Jun 21, 2022 7:19 AM CDT
It's the Biggest Freshwater Fish Ever Recorded
Giant stingray in Cambodia weighs in at 661 pounds
- Researchers say they've encountered the largest freshwater fish ever documented—a giant stingray stretching 13 feet long, more than 7 feet wide, and weighing some 661 pounds. "In 20 years of researching giant fish in rivers and lakes on six continents, this is the largest freshwater fish that...
Researchers Work to Improve
Screen Time for ... Monkeys
Jun 19, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Researchers Work to Improve Screen Time for ... Monkeys
Encounters with audio, visual stimuli to help build better 'interactive enrichment systems'
- Saki monkeys may prefer to listen to music more than the rain and appear more keen to watch underwater scenes than those featuring earthly worms, according to new research, which combined monkeys, screens, and speakers. Researchers at Scotland's University of Glasgow and Finland's Aalto University set up a...
Long Before Chickens Were
Dinners, They Were Our Pals
Jun 11, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Long Before Chickens Were Dinners, They Were Our Pals
These potential spiritual guides only became dinner about 2K years ago, research suggests
- Chickens and humans have only been mingling for about 3,500 years, not as long as 10,000 years as previously believed, and for a good chunk of that time our feathered friends were revered, not eaten. That's according to new archaeological research which sees chickens as "actually...
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back.
Then Cops Found a Freezer
Apr 15, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back. Then Cops Found a Freezer
Michael Patrick Turland accused of stuffing 183 animals in Arizona freezer, some while still alive
- An Arizona man faces animal cruelty charges after 183 dead dogs, rabbits, birds, and other animals were found in a freezer, including some that were apparently frozen while alive, officials said. Local deputies and animal control officers found the animals in a garage freezer April 3 after a woman reported...
Toll on Animals
Apr 11, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
Fear of Predators Takes Surprising Toll on Animals
Study with sparrows suggests it affects multiple generations
- If an animal species lives in an area where it's surrounded by predators, you wouldn't expect to see robust population growth. But what if the animals just
they're surrounded by predators? Turns out, the same applies, according to a new study out of Canada's Western...
Charity on Dogs
in Ukraine Shelter:
'They Died a
Apr 5, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Charity on Dogs in Ukraine Shelter: 'They Died a Terrible Death'
UAnimals says more than 300 dogs perished at Borodyanka site after no food, water for a month
- As the world recoils at the images of death emerging out of Bucha, Ukraine, Ukrainian officials fear civilian massacres in Borodyanka might be even worse. An animal rights group now announces another apparent horror in the settlement northwest of Kyiv: hundreds of dogs found dead in a shelter, neglected since...
'Momentous Occasion' for One
of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Mar 31, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
'Momentous Occasion' for One of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Indonesia's captive breeding program spawns new Sumatran rhino
- Indonesia has just welcomed a bundle of joy in the form of one of the rarest mammals on Earth. A Sumatran rhino was born March 24 in a sanctuary to a mother that had suffered eight miscarriages since she was captured in the wild in 2005 as part of a...
Government Agents Killed
200 Animals an Hour in 2021
Mar 25, 2022 6:47 AM CDT
Government Agents Killed 200 Animals an Hour in 2021
Critic slams USDA's Wildlife Services as 'taxpayer-funded wildlife slaughter'
- A government agency killed more than 1.75 million animals across the country in 2021, in what it claims were necessary actions. New data shows the Wildlife Services branch of the US Department of Agriculture, which acts to "resolve wildlife conflicts to allow people and wildlife to coexist,"...
Hank the Tank
Feb 22, 2022 6:14 AM CST
Hank the Tank Strikes Again
Supporters hope to remove black bear from Lake Tahoe area, where he's wreaking havoc
Hank the Tank is at it again. The 500-pound black bear who's been busting into homes around Lake Tahoe made his way into yet another home Friday, according to South Lake Tahoe police. "He broke into a secured home, through the small window in the photo, and...
This Crocodile Got Its
Brave but Good Samaritan
Feb 8, 2022 4:22 PM CST
This Crocodile Got Its Brave but Good Samaritan
Reptile stuck in tire since 2016 is freed
A crocodile that has been cursed with a tire around its neck since 2016 is finally free, thanks to a 34-year-old Indonesian man named Tili. He used chicken bait and nylon ropes to wrangle the animal on Monday with the help of dozens of locals who helped cut the...
Scientists Are Vacuuming
DNA Out of Thin Air
Jan 13, 2022 11:29 AM CST
Scientists Are Vacuuming DNA Out of Thin Air
Researcher envisions worldwide monitoring system for wildlife using environmental DNA
- More than a decade ago, research began to describe the detection of DNA released by organisms into their environments. For the last several years, this environmental DNA has allowed scientists, including those at the US Geological Survey , to get a handle on the distribution and abundance of small, rare, or...
Dies at Age 8
Jan 11, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Retired 'HeroRAT' Dies at Age 8
Magawa sniffed out land mines in Cambodia until punching his last time card last year
"A hero is laid to rest." So read the announcement Tuesday on the death of Magawa, the rat that became a legend in Cambodia for his award-winning work in sniffing out land mines. Belgian charity Apopo notes in its release that Magawa, 8, had seemed in generally...
Living Animals in
White Rhino Breeding
Oct 21, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Living Animals in White Rhino Breeding Program: One
Najin, one of 2 remaining northern white rhinos, has been retired
- Hopes of saving the northern white rhinoceros now rest on a sole female, some frozen sperm, and a dozen embryos. There are just two northern white rhinos alive—females Najin and Fatu of Kenya's Ol Pejeta Conservancy—whose eggs were extracted, then inseminated with frozen sperm from dead males...
It's a Sad End for One of
Maryland's Runaway Zebras
Oct 15, 2021 10:22 AM CDT
It's a Sad End for One of Maryland's Runaway Zebras
Authorities now say only 3 escaped, and one was found dead in trap
- A revised number and a grim update in the story of the escaped zebras who are roaming around in suburban Maryland at the moment: Despite reports that five zebras escaped from a farm on Aug. 31, and were still wandering as of early this month, a rep for the Prince...
Alpaca Set for Execution
Gets a Human Shield
Aug 12, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Alpaca Set for Execution Gets a Human Shield
Male tested positive for bovine tuberculosis; supporters say the tests are flawed
- If dogs are man's best friend, alpacas must not be far behind, given that more than 100,000 people are appealing to save an alpaca in England from execution. Geronimo, an 8-year-old who came to Gloucestershire from New Zealand four years ago, tested positive for bovine tuberculosis when his...
Be Careful What You Wish For
When You Enter Hawaii Lottery
Jul 14, 2021 2:37 PM CDT
Be Careful What You Wish For When You Enter Hawaii Lottery
Lucky winners get stuck with a herd of invasive goats
- Close your eyes. Picture you’re in Hawaii, on the Big Island. You’ve entered a lottery. You won! What do you want? A dream vacation? A luxury car? A mansion? How about a goat? An actual goat, not a Lebron-style GOAT. How about a wild goat that has invaded...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
After North Carolina Shootings, Power Could Be Out for Days
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.