Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
BP oil spill
Stories 1 - 20 |
BP: An Oil Spill
Apr 7, 2018 7:25 AM CDT
BP: An Oil Spill Would 'Boost' Local Economies
But Australia's regulators weren't convinced
- Two years ago, BP applied to drill for oil off the Australian coast. Now government letters show that BP praised the "welcome boost" local economies could receive doing cleanup in an oil spill, the
Sidney Morning Herald
reports. Australia's National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority—or...
BP Ponies Up $18.7B
to Gulf States in Spill
Jul 2, 2015 9:08 AM CDT
BP Ponies Up $18.7B to Gulf States in Spill
Settlement money to be spread among Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi
- Officials in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana announced an $18.7 billion settlement with BP today that resolves years of litigation over the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The settlement comes as a federal judge was preparing to rule on how much BP owed in federal Clean Water Act...
BP May Have to
Pony Up $14B
for Oil Spill
Jan 19, 2015 12:00 PM CST
BP May Have to Pony Up $14B for Oil Spill
New Orleans judge assessing fine for Deepwater Horizon disaster
- The $4.5 billion criminal penalty that BP had to pay for the catastrophic Deepwater Horizon oil spill was pretty hefty, but a New Orleans judge may be about to triple that fine. Nearly five years after the disaster that dumped hundreds of millions of gallons of oil into the...
BP Spill Left Huge,
Oily 'Bathtub Ring'
Oct 28, 2014 3:13 AM CDT
BP Spill Left Huge, Oily 'Bathtub Ring'
Millions of gallons ended up on seafloor
- The 2010 Deepwater Horizon spill left oily residue on the seafloor that scientists liken to a "bathtub ring"—if the tub were big enough to fit Rhode Island. Researchers who tested thousands of sediment samples from more than 500 locations in the Gulf of Mexico believe around 84...
BP Ruled 'Reckless'
in Gulf Spill; Could
Sep 4, 2014 10:32 AM CDT
BP Ruled 'Reckless' in Gulf Spill; Could Owe Billions
Judge's finding could quadruple civil penalties owed by BP
- A federal judge has ruled that BP's reckless conduct resulted in the nation's worst offshore oil spill, leaving the company open to billions of dollars in penalties. US District Judge Carl Barbier's ruling today could nearly quadruple the amount of civil penalties BP could face for polluting...
Guilty of Hiding
Dec 18, 2013 12:38 PM CST
Ex-BP Engineer Guilty of Hiding Spill Evidence
Jury said deleted text messages amounted to obstruction of justice
- A former BP drilling engineer was convicted today of deleting text messages to obstruct a federal investigation of the company's massive 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, making him the first former or current BP official to be found guilty in the mess. He now faces up...
BP Sues Lawyer
Over Thousands of
Dec 18, 2013 7:33 AM CST
BP Sues Lawyer Over Thousands of 'Phantom' Plaintiffs
Company slams 'fraud' in oil spill case
- Three years after the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, BP has launched a suit of its own—against a plaintiffs' lawyer who, the company says, has represented tens of thousands of "phantom" clients in the case. BP says part of its settlement over the spill, worth $2.3 billion,...
Gulf Oil Spill
Feb 25, 2013 1:24 PM CST
Mammoth Gulf Oil Spill Trial Begins
Feds want BP to pay handsomely
- With billions of dollars at stake, the trial to figure out how much more BP and other companies should pay for the nation's worst offshore oil spill began today with the federal government saying the oil giant was mostly to blame for a disaster caused by putting profits ahead...
Gulf's Mystery Sheen
Baffles BP, Coast Guard
Dec 19, 2012 11:45 AM CST
Gulf's Mystery Sheen Baffles BP, Coast Guard
But the once-burst well is still sealed
- Underwater inspections conducted with robot submarines at the site of BP's Deepwater Horizon rig disaster have failed to identify the source of a persistent sheen on the surface of the Gulf of Mexico, officials said yesterday. It's not all bad news: The Coast Guard and BP both said...
Emails: BP Lied About
Extent of Oil Spill
Dec 10, 2012 3:47 PM CST
Emails: BP Lied About Extent of Oil Spill
Accused engineer plans to release evidence
- Emerging evidence may support accusations that BP initially lied about the extent of its devastating 2010 oil spill , reports the Huffington Post . Former BP engineer Kurt Mix, charged with destroying spill-related text messages, plans to defend himself by releasing emails that show BP knew about the true extent of the...
BP From Future
Nov 28, 2012 1:36 PM CST
US Suspends BP From Future Contracts
Temporary move cites 'lack of business integrity'
- The Obama administration put a temporary stop to new federal contracts with British oil company BP today, citing the company's "lack of business integrity" and criminal proceedings stemming from the Deepwater Horizon disaster in 2010. The action by the Environmental Protection Agency bars BP and its affiliates from...
BP's $4.5B Spill Fine Is
Biggest in US History
Nov 15, 2012 11:11 AM CST
BP's $4.5B Spill Fine Is Biggest in US History
Firm pleads guilty to criminal misconduct
- Looks like BP will need to reach deep into its pockets to pay its fine over the 2010 Gulf oil spill : a record $4.5 billion to resolve Justice Department and SEC claims, reports the
New York Times
. CNN reports that the biggest criminal penalty in US history was previously...
BP's Tab So Far
in Gulf Spill: $38B
Oct 30, 2012 6:44 AM CDT
BP's Tab So Far in Gulf Spill: $38B
But third-quarter results better than expected
- BP is still calculating its costs related to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, but the Gulf of Mexico disaster has now cost the oil giant more than $38 billion to date, Sky News reports. The firm’s third-quarter report included $59 million in payments related to the spill, but even...
Tests Confirm Isaac
Stirred Up Oil From BP Spill
Sep 6, 2012 1:20 PM CDT
Tests Confirm Isaac Stirred Up Oil From BP Spill
Tar balls have washed onto beaches in Louisiana, elsewhere
- It looks like Gulf Coast beaches will be getting periodic reminders of the 2010 BP oil spill for years to come. Tests confirm that tar balls washed ashore in the wake of Hurricane Isaac did indeed come from the infamous Macondo well, reports the AP . Isaac apparently dredged up oil...
Old Oil to
Sep 5, 2012 8:15 AM CDT
Isaac Brings Old Oil to La. Beaches
Tar could be leftover from BP oil spill
- The latest fallout from Hurricane Isaac: The storm caused old oil to wash up on beaches in Louisiana, and it may be from the Deepwater Horizon spill. Officials restricted fishing and are testing the tar to determine if it's from the 2010 BP spill, the AP reports. Wildlife management...
Fishing Haul Way Down in Estuary Near BP Spill
May 24, 2012 2:45 PM CDT
Fishing Haul Way Down in Estuary Near BP Spill
But overall in Louisiana, numbers were about the same
- The seafood stats are in for the Gulf's 2011 harvest, and though the finger-pointing (at BP and the oil spill, of course) has begun, the numbers paint a complicated picture. Last year was the first full year of fishing since the spill, and some areas definitely saw a depressed...
BP Spill Texts
Apr 24, 2012 1:06 PM CDT
Feds: Engineer Deleted 200 BP Spill Texts
Kurt Mix the first to be hit with criminal charges
- The Justice Department said today it filed the first criminal charges in the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, accusing a former BP engineer of destroying evidence. Kurt Mix was arrested on two counts of obstruction of justice, and is accused of deleting a string of 200 text...
Eyeless Shrimp? Report
Raises Concerns in Gulf
Apr 18, 2012 6:47 PM CDT
Eyeless Shrimp? Report Raises Concerns in Gulf
Mutant creatures showing up after BP spill, says Al Jazeera English
- Shrimp missing their eyeballs (and even eye sockets), fish covered in lesions, deformed crabs, and other mutated sea creatures are showing up in unsettling numbers in the Gulf of Mexico two years after the giant BP oil spill, according to an investigation by Al Jazeera English . "The fishermen have...
May Be Linked
to BP Spill
Mar 28, 2012 6:43 PM CDT
Ailing Dolphins May Be Linked to BP Spill
Many turning up in Gulf with variety of diseases, say researchers
- Another sign that the catastrophic 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is taking a serious toll on the local dolphin population: Researchers conducted physicals on 32 of them last summer in a particularly hard-hit bay and discovered that many suffered from anemia, low blood sugar, low weight,...
in Gulf Oil Spill
Mar 3, 2012 5:46 AM CST
BP Reaches $7.8B Settlement in Gulf Oil Spill
Deal does not include biggest plaintiff of all: US government
- BP has agreed to pay about $7.8 billion to thousands of individuals and businesses around the Gulf of Mexico in economic and medical compensation for the massive 2010 oil spill, reports the
. About $2.3 billion will go to compensation to the seafood industry alone. BP also...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.