Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
JPMorgan Settles Epstein
Case With $75M Payment
Sep 26, 2023 10:02 AM CDT
JPMorgan Settles Epstein Case With $75M Payment
Virgin Islands accused the bank of turning a blind eye to his sex trafficking of girls
- JPMorgan Chase will pay $75 million to close an ugly chapter in the banking giant's history. The payment settles a lawsuit brought by the US Virgin Islands that accused the bank of turning a blind eye to the sex trafficking of girls by Jeffrey Epstein, reports the
Watchdog: Epstein's Final
Phone Call Went Unmonitored
Jun 27, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Watchdog: Epstein's Final Phone Call Went Unmonitored
Report describes multiple jail failures that led to sex trafficker's 2019 suicide
- "Negligence, misconduct, and outright job performance failures" at Manhattan's Metropolitan Correctional Center enabled Jeffrey Epstein's 2019 suicide, according to a Justice Department inspector general's report issued Tuesday. The report describes "staffing issues, faulty security camera setups, poor management and improper handling of inmates who could...
Jun 12, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
JPMorgan Settles With Epstein Victims for $290M
'We all now understand that Epstein's behavior was monstrous,' says bank accused of enabling him
- JPMorgan Chase has reached a settlement in a class-action lawsuit with victims of financier Jeffrey Epstein. Sources tell the
that the banking giant has agreed to pay $290 million. Epstein was arrested in 2019 on federal charges accusing him of paying underage girls hundreds of dollars in cash...
Epstein Reached Out to
Another High-Profile Pedophile
Jun 2, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
Epstein Reached Out to Another High-Profile Pedophile
His letter to Larry Nassar was returned to sender, AP learns from newly released documents
- Two weeks before ending his life, Jeffrey Epstein sat in the corner of his Manhattan jail cell with his hands over his ears, desperate to muffle the sound of a toilet that wouldn't stop running. Epstein was agitated and unable to sleep, jail officials observed in records newly obtained...
Report: Epstein Tried to Use
Bill Gates' Affair as Leverage
May 22, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Report: Epstein Tried to Use Bill Gates' Affair as Leverage
Sources say email Epstein sent in 2017 had a threatening undertone
- Bill Gates and Jeffrey Epstein had a number of meetings and dinners together beginning in 2011. A decade later, following the disgraced financier's death, Gates called those meetings a "huge mistake," and said he put an end to them once it became clear that Epstein's claim...
Deutsche Bank Agrees to Pay
$75M to Epstein Victims
May 19, 2023 4:25 AM CDT
Deutsche Bank Agrees to Pay $75M to Epstein Victims
Lawsuit said bank benefited from Epstein’s sex trafficking
- Deutsche Bank has agreed to pay $75 million to settle a lawsuit claiming that the German lender should have seen evidence of sex trafficking by Jeffrey Epstein when he was a client, according to lawyers for women who say they were abused by the late financier. A woman only identified...
Elon Musk to Be
May 16, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
Elon Musk to Be Subpoenaed Regarding Jeffrey Epstein
US Virgin Islands wants documents from billionaire
- There have long been rumors that Jeffrey Epstein once advised Elon Musk , and now the US Virgin Islands is looking to subpoena the Tesla CEO as part of a lawsuit related to the alleged billionaire sex trafficker. The Virgin Islands is suing JPMorgan Chase over the bank's ties to...
Dec 25, 2022 9:35 AM CST
King Charles Evicts Andrew
Disgraced royal will no longer be allowed to use Buckingham Palace
- Looks like Prince Andrew is homeless for the holidays. Or at least as homeless as someone cleaved to the British taxpayer's purse strings by birthright can be: Big brother King Charles III wasted little time in his nascent reign in kicking Andrew out of Buckingham Palace, reports the
Virgin Islands Gets Hefty
Payday From Epstein's Estate
Dec 1, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Virgin Islands Gets Hefty Payday From Epstein's Estate
$105M, plus half the proceeds from sale of one of his private islands
- Jeffrey Epstein's estate will pay more than $105 million to settle the lawsuit the Virgin Islands brought against Epstein nearly three years ago. The attorney general of the US territory accused the billionaire financier of using the islands as the base of his sex trafficking activities, for which he...
Suit: Billionaire Raped
Me at Epstein's Mansion
Nov 29, 2022 12:49 PM CST
Suit: Billionaire Raped Me at Epstein's Mansion
Cheri Pierson sues Apollo Global Management co-founder Leon Black, Epstein's estate
- A woman claims billionaire Leon Black raped her in a "brutal attack" at the Manhattan home of Jeffrey Epstein. In a lawsuit filed Monday, Cheri Pierson says she was "in desperate need of money" when she agreed to massage the co-founder and former CEO of Apollo Global Management...
Women Who Accused Epstein
Now Go After Big Banks
Nov 25, 2022 7:41 AM CST
Women Who Accused Epstein Now Go After Big Banks
They allege JPMorgan, Deutsche Bank facilitated, profited from sex trafficking operations
- JPMorgan Chase and Deutsche Bank have each been hit with a lawsuit that claims the banks enabled Jeffrey Epstein's sex trafficking operations and financially benefited from doing so. The suits, brought by anonymous female plaintiffs who accused Epstein of sex abuse, are seeking class-action status and unspecified damages. The...
Epstein Victim, Dershowitz
Issue Joint Statement
Nov 9, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Epstein Victim, Dershowitz Issue Joint Statement
Virginia Giuffre admits possible 'mistake in identifying' the celebrity lawyer in sex abuse
- Virginia Giuffre, the woman who has long claimed sex abuse by Jeffrey Epstein, Prince Andrew, and Alan Dershowitz, now says she may have "made a mistake" in accusing that third man. "I have long believed that I was trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein to Alan Dershowitz. However, I was...
Ghislaine Maxwell Speaks
in Jailhouse Interviews
Oct 16, 2022 6:49 AM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Speaks in Jailhouse Interviews
She says she pities her 'dear friend' Prince Andrew
- As he has fought off allegations of sexual impropriety from years past, Prince Andrew has maintained that he was never close friends with Ghislaine Maxwell . But in one of two jailhouse interviews, Maxwell—now a convicted sex trafficker thanks to her association with Jeffrey Epstein—says quite the opposite. "...
Ghislaine Maxwell Gets
20 Years in Epstein Case
Jun 28, 2022 1:42 PM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Gets 20 Years in Epstein Case
It's far fewer than the 30 to 55 years federal prosecutors sought
- Federal prosecutors wanted 30 to 55 years, but Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to far fewer on Tuesday. The jet-setting socialite who once consorted with royals, presidents, and billionaires was sentenced to 20 years for helping the financier Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse underage girls. Defense attorneys wanted a five-year term. That...
Ghislaine Maxwell Could
Get 55 Years in Prison
Jun 23, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Could Get 55 Years in Prison
She wants 5 years; prosecutors say her claim of being a scapecoat is 'absurd and offensive'
- The "shockingly predatory" Ghislaine Maxwell should be sentenced to 30 years up to the maximum 55 years for helping Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse four teenage girls over a decade, federal prosecutors write in a sentencing memorandum filed Wednesday in Manhattan federal court. The 60-year-old played an "instrumental role...
Jun 15, 2022 2:31 AM CDT
James Patterson Quickly Backtracks
He's sorry he said white male writers face racism
James Patterson is apologizing after a comment he made in a recent interview didn't go over well. "I apologize for saying white male writers having trouble finding work is a form of racism," the author tweeted Tuesday. "I absolutely do not believe that racism is...
Epstein's Islands Are for Sale
Mar 23, 2022 6:29 PM CDT
Epstein's Islands Are for Sale
Retreats where prosecutors say financier abused girls and women are listed at $125M
- Two islands where Jeffrey Epstein was accused of sexually assaulting women and girls are for sale. Known as Great St James and Little St. James, the Caribbean islands are listed at $125 million, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. An attorney for the estate of Epstein, a financier whose 2019 death...
Melinda French Gates:
Epstein Gave Me 'Nightmares'
Mar 3, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Melinda French Gates: Epstein Gave Me 'Nightmares'
Bill's ex says she hated that her husband met with the man
- Melinda French Gates' full interview with Gayle King of
aired Thursday, and it reveals more details about her divorce and her future:
French Gates said she and Bill have a "working relationship" now, but that's about it. While they are "friendly," they'
Barclays Holds Back
$29M Bonus From
Ex-CEO Tied to Epstein
Feb 23, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Barclays Holds Back $29M Bonus From Ex-CEO Tied to Epstein
Jes Staley resigned late last year amid an investigation by UK banking regulators
More bad news this week for Jes Staley, as UK banking regulators continue to investigate exactly what his relationship was with the late Jeffrey Epstein. The
reports that Barclays will be holding back up to $29 million in bonus and share payouts to its former CEO, who resigned...
Agent Accused of Aiding
Epstein Found Dead in Cell
Feb 19, 2022 4:00 PM CST
Agent Accused of Aiding Epstein Found Dead in Cell
Jean-Luc Brunel was under investigation in France for rape, human trafficking
- A modeling agent accused of being an accomplice of Jeffrey Epstein was found hanged in his Paris jail cell Saturday. French prosecutors said that an investigation into the death of Jean-Luc Brunel, 75, had begun, but that early signs suggested it was suicide, the
reports. He had been hanged...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
Drug Gangs Threaten Peace of Famous Squatter Commune
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.