Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Mexican drug war
Stories 1 - 20 |
There's a Hitch in
Extradition of 'El Chapo' Son
Jan 7, 2023 8:30 AM CST
There's a Hitch in Extradition of 'El Chapo' Son
Mexican federal judge has halted the move; foreign minister cites law 'formalities' for Ovidio Guzman
- A Mexico City federal judge on Friday halted the extradition of Ovidio Guzman, son of druglord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, to the United States on drug trafficking charges. Per CNN , Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard has acknowledged the 2019 arrest warrant for Guzman out of the US, but he...
Search for the Missing
Has Found 1,124 Bodies
Jan 6, 2020 6:38 PM CST
Search for the Missing Has Found 1,124 Bodies
Mexico's 13-month effort has discovered 873 clandestine burial pits
- Mexico's national search effort to find tens of thousands of missing people has so far uncovered 1,124 corpses in 873 clandestine burial pits, officials said Monday. The country's National Search Commission said that in its first 13 months of work, only about one-third of the bodies found...
Gunmen Attack US Family
on Mexican Road, Kill Teen
Jan 6, 2020 4:05 PM CST
Gunmen Attack US Family on Mexican Road, Kill Teen
Group was returning home in an area known for cartel battles
- Gunmen in northern Mexico opened fire on a family returning to the US on Saturday night, killing a 13-year-old girl and wounding her brother and parents. The family and other relatives were driving in two vehicles after spending the holidays in San Luis Potosi in central Mexico, CBS News reports....
A Prolific Assassin in Mexico
Tells All to Police
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 22, 2019 3:00 PM CST
A Prolific Assassin in Mexico Tells All to Police
The 'sicario' betrayed his cartel to avoid a life in prison
- He was an assassin for a Mexican drug cartel who estimates taking part in more than 100 murders before age 23. But in an unorthodox arrangement with police, the "sicario" confessed all, including the inner workings of cartel life, in exchange for his freedom when he was arrested, reports...
Assault on Town
Near US Border
Dec 2, 2019 2:23 AM CST
Cartel Launches Assault on Town Near US Border
Authorities say 14 gunmen are among the 20 dead
- Mexican security forces on Sunday killed seven more members of a presumed cartel assault force that rolled into a town near the Texas border and staged an hour-long attack, officials said, putting the overall death toll at 20. The Coahuila state government said in a statement that lawmen aided by...
52 Bodies Found in
Mexico Mass Graves
Nov 11, 2019 12:45 AM CST
52 Bodies Found in Mexico Mass Graves
US citizen's relatives are hoping for closure
- Forensic scientists in the Mexican state of Sonora have recovered 10 more bodies from mass graves near a beach town, raising the total number of bodies and skeletons found in the area since October to 52. The state attorney's office said Saturday they were tipped off to the desert...
Streets Littered With Bodies
After Failed Raid in Mexico
Oct 19, 2019 12:01 PM CDT
Streets Littered With Bodies After Failed Raid in Mexico
Mexican authorities wanted the son of imprisoned drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman
- Mexican security forces aborted an attempt to capture a son of imprisoned drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman after finding themselves outgunned in a ferocious shootout with cartel henchmen that left at least eight people dead and more than 20 wounded, authorities said Friday. The gun battle Thursday paralyzed...
Cartel Gunmen Free
Son of 'El Chapo'
Oct 18, 2019 1:34 AM CDT
Cartel Gunmen Free Son of 'El Chapo'
Mexican city became battlefield after he was detained
- The son of former Sinaloa cartel kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman was located along with other cartel members in the Mexican city of Culiacan Thursday—but he wasn't detained for long. Mexican security secretary Alfonso Durazo says that after 30 members of the National Guard and army found...
44 Bodies Found in Well
Sep 15, 2019 11:55 AM CDT
44 Bodies Found in Well
Yet another mass grave discovered in Mexico
- Mexican authorities responding to complaints of a nasty smell have found dozens of bodies buried in a well, the BBC reports. Uncovered earlier this month in the western state of Jalisco, the remains were mostly cut up and distributed between 119 black bags. Authorities have managed to identify 44 of...
19 Bodies Hung From
Bridge, Hacked Up
in Cartel Turf War
Aug 9, 2019 1:30 AM CDT
19 Bodies Hung From Bridge, Hacked Up in Cartel Turf War
3 victims in Mexico massacre were women
- Mexican police found nine bodies hanging from an overpass Thursday alongside a drug cartel banner threatening rivals, and seven more corpses hacked up and dumped by the road nearby. Just down the road were three more bodies, for a total of 19. The killing spree reported by prosecutors in the...
In 'Outrageous Crime,'
Mexico Journalist Killed
May 16, 2017 5:18 AM CDT
In 'Outrageous Crime,' Mexico Journalist Killed
Javier Valdez is 6th journalist murdered since March
- Javier Valdez was driving in broad daylight down a street he must have known well, just a block from his office, when he became the latest victim of a wave of journalist killings that has hit Mexico. Masked gunmen forced Valdez from his car, shot him dead, and left his...
After Moms Raise
Funds for Excavation,
a Horrific Find in Mexico
Mar 15, 2017 3:42 AM CDT
After Moms Raise Funds for Excavation, a Horrific Find in Mexico
Hundreds of skulls found in Veracruz mass grave
- A horrific find in Mexico: Authorities say they've found more than 250 skulls in a clandestine burial ground on the outskirts of the city of Veracruz—and they have yet to excavate two-thirds of the area. State attorney general Jorge Winckler Ortiz said the bodies are drug cartel victims...
Aug 19, 2016 4:25 AM CDT
Mexico Police Accused of Executing 22, Faking Shootout
42-to-1 death toll in ranch raid raised suspicions
- Federal police executed at least 22 people on a ranch last year, then moved bodies and planted guns to corroborate the official account that the deaths happened in a gunbattle, Mexico's human rights commission says, per the AP . A total of 43 people, including one police officer, were killed...
Mexico to Dissolve
All Local Police Forces
Nov 28, 2014 12:15 AM CST
Mexico to Dissolve All Local Police Forces
President promises change after students killed
- Mexican President Pena Nieto has promised sweeping reforms to the country's police amid nationwide outrage over the massacre of 43 students abducted by a local police force working with gang members. "Mexico must change," he said yesterday, unveiling plans to dissolve all 1,800 of the country'...
US Horse Farm
Was Front for
Jun 14, 2014 5:15 PM CDT
US Horse Farm Was Front for Vicious Cartel
Horse names pointed to Los Zetas' involvement
- The Los Zetas drug cartel is known for beheadings and cutting off limbs while victims are still alive—and until authorities got involved, it was hiding millions of dollars behind an Oklahoma horse farm, NBC News reports. The farm was owned by Jose Trevino Morales, the little brother of two...
to 'Brother' Mexico
May 5, 2014 1:52 PM CDT
Anthony Bourdain: We're Hypocrites to 'Brother' Mexico
We gobble up its culture, but care little about its crises
- Americans are deeply attached to what comes from Mexico, whether it's food, music, beaches, or the labor that we depend on even as we criticize immigration. "In two decades as a chef and employer, I never had one American kid walk in my door and apply for a...
Drugs No Longer
Mar 17, 2014 3:03 AM CDT
Drugs No Longer Mexico Cartel's Top Earner
Knights Templar now a mining, logging, extortion cartel
- Mexico's Knights Templar cartel has diversified so much that instead of being a drug cartel, the organization that started out smuggling crystal meth is now more of an extortion, logging, and mining cartel with a profitable sideline in drugs, the AP finds. In the cartel's home state of...
Mexico: We Killed
Druglord ... Again
Mar 9, 2014 4:06 PM CDT
Mexico: We Killed Druglord ... Again
Nazario Moreno reportedly died in gunfight 3 years ago
- Mexican officials say they killed a Mexican drug kingpin three years after the government supposedly killed him the first time, Reuters reports. Nazario Moreno was leader of the drug cartel La Familia when officials said he died in a two-day gunfight with government agents—but as his cartel morphed into...
With Kingpin Gone,
Cartel Turf War Looms
Feb 25, 2014 12:06 AM CST
With Kingpin Gone, Cartel Turf War Looms
But in Sinaloa, Guzman is remembered for generosity
- The world's most powerful drug lord is now being held in an underground cell, but few expect Joaquin Guzman's arrest to stop either the flow of drugs or the flow of blood in Mexico's cartel wars. In Sinaloa, the state that gave its name to Guzman's...
World's Top Drug Kingpin
in Underground Cell
Feb 23, 2014 4:26 PM CST
World's Top Drug Kingpin in Underground Cell
US aiming to extradite Joaquin Guzman
- Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, the head of the Sinaloa drug cartel, is being held in an underground cell near Mexico City following his arrest this weekend —and US federal prosecutors in New York want to extradite him. He's wanted in six districts in this country, NBC News...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.