Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Worker Hurt in New Orleans
Collapse Gets Shown the Door
Nov 30, 2019 7:50 PM CST
Worker Hurt in New Orleans Collapse Gets Shown the Door
Delmer Joel Ramirez Palma, 38, was flown to Honduras
- A construction worker hurt in last month’s collapse of the Hard Rock Hotel construction site in New Orleans has been deported to his native Honduras on Friday, the AP reports. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Bryan Cox said Delmer Joel Ramirez Palma, 38, was flown to Honduras...
Feel Like Shouting
Not Smart in NYC
Oct 1, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Feel Like Shouting 'Speak English'? Not Smart in NYC
City issues ban on discriminatory rhetoric like 'illegal alien,' threatening to call ICE to harass
- New York City is cracking down on xenophobia, with new guidelines that ban calling people "illegal aliens" in an attempt to "demean, humiliate, or harass" them; threatening to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement in an attempt to discriminate; or telling anyone to "speak English" or "go...
Feds: Not Sure We Can
Reunite Migrant Families
Feb 2, 2019 4:36 PM CST
Feds: Not Sure We Can Reunite Migrant Families
Health and Human Services claims it might actually harm the children
- The Trump administration says it would require extraordinary effort to reunite what may be thousands of migrant children who have been separated from their parents and, even if it could, the children would likely be emotionally harmed. Health and Human Services Department officials said in court filings late Friday that...
ICE Set Up a Fake College.
Then Came the Arrests
Jan 31, 2019 8:57 AM CST
ICE Set Up a Fake College. Then Came the Arrests
The 'University of Farmington' was used to nab recruiters of undocumented immigrants
- A federal indictment unsealed Wednesday names eight suspects accused of "harboring aliens for profit"—and it was a phony university set up by Immigration and Customs Enforcement that nabbed them. NBC News reports on the fake "University of Farmington," which set up shop in 2015 near...
Trump Club Crimes?
Prosecutors Get the 'Evidence'
Dec 30, 2018 1:42 PM CST
Trump Club Crimes? Prosecutors Get the 'Evidence'
Attorney Anibal Romero reaches out to the feds
- Robert Mueller, the FBI, and New Jersey prosecutors have all gotten involved in the case of two undocumented workers who apparently worked at one of President Trump's golf clubs, the
reports. Anibal Romero, the workers' lawyer, says he's handed over evidence to the state attorney general'...
Tijuana: Please Help Us
Nov 25, 2018 1:45 PM CST
Tijuana: Please Help Us
The city struggles to cope with 5K migrants
- The mayor of Tijuana has declared a humanitarian crisis in his border city and said Friday he was asking the United Nations for aid to deal with the approximately 5,000 Central American migrants, most of whom were camped out inside a sports complex, the AP reports. The comments by...
Tijuana Protesters Chant
'Out!' at Camped Migrants
Nov 18, 2018 5:10 PM CST
Tijuana Protesters Chant 'Out!' at Camped Migrants
But others give migrants free food outside a shelter
- Hundreds of Tijuana residents congregated around a monument in an affluent section of the city south of California on Sunday to protest the thousands of Central American migrants who have arrived via caravan in hopes of a new life in the US, the AP reports. Tensions have built as nearly...
Tijuana Mayor: 'No City in the
World Is Prepared' for This
Nov 17, 2018 9:20 AM CST
Tijuana Mayor: 'No City in the World Is Prepared' for This
Migrant caravan influx expected to last months
- With about 3,000 Central American migrants having reached the Mexican border across from California and thousands more anticipated, the mayor of Tijuana said Friday that the city was preparing for an influx that will last at least six months and may have no end in sight, the AP reports....
Danish Man Arrested
as Colorado Wildfire
Destroys 100 Homes
Jul 3, 2018 12:24 AM CDT
Danish Man Arrested as Colorado Wildfire Destroys 100 Homes
Authorities say he was in the country illegally
- More than 100 homes have been destroyed by a Colorado wildfire that investigators say was started by an illegal campfire. San Luis Valley Emergency tweeted Monday night that 104 homes have been destroyed so far by the wildfire east of Fort Garland. The blaze has burned 89 square miles and...
Trump: Criminals Exploiting
Kids at the Border
Jun 18, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Trump: Criminals Exploiting Kids at the Border
Meanwhile, UN human rights chief likens the separations to 'abuse'
- The UN humans rights chief issued his strongest denunciation yet regarding the separation of immigrant children from their parents at the US border and demanded that it stop immediately, reports the
New York Times
. "The thought that any state would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on...
For 3rd Straight Month,
Border Arrests Exceed 50K
Jun 7, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
For 3rd Straight Month, Border Arrests Exceed 50K
It's highest level since Trump took office
- More than 50,000 people were arrested trying to cross the US border in May, the third consecutive month that figure has been reached. The high volume suggests that tough new rules put in place by the Trump administration—including the separation of migrant children from their parents—are not...
ICE Detains Pizza Guy
at NYC Army Base
Jun 7, 2018 6:39 AM CDT
ICE Detains Pizza Guy at NYC Army Base
Pablo Villavicencio, who's married to a US citizen and has no criminal record, is set to be deported
- Pizza deliveryman Pablo Villavicencio says he'd delivered food to Brooklyn's Fort Hamilton many times before. But last week, the 35-year-old undocumented Ecuadorean immigrant found himself detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the US Army base. Now he faces deportation, the
New York Times
reports. CBS News and...
As Son Hung
Dad Was Playing
May 29, 2018 8:21 AM CDT
Prosecutor: As Son Hung From Balcony, Dad Was Playing Pokemon Go
Meanwhile, Mamoudou Gassama gets praise all around after saving 4-year-old in Paris
- The family of a French boy who was saved as he dangled from a fourth-floor balcony by a man dubbed "Spider-Man" is now calling Mamoudou Gassama's actions "incredible"—and shaking their heads at the child's father for leaving him unattended. Gassama is "truly a...
ICE: Oakland Mayor's
Warning Cost Us 800 Arrests
Mar 1, 2018 2:02 AM CST
ICE: Oakland Mayor's Warning Cost Us 800 Arrests
ICE's acting director calls Libby Schaaf's Twitter warning 'beyond the pale'
- A federal official said Wednesday that about 800 "criminals" avoided immigration arrests because Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf alerted the public to the surprise operation, an extraordinarily high number of missed targets, the AP reports. Thomas Homan, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement's acting director, told Fox News that the...
10 Immigrants Died in a Truck.
The Driver Just Pleaded Guilty
Oct 17, 2017 9:50 AM CDT
10 Immigrants Died in a Truck. The Driver Just Pleaded Guilty
James Matthew Bradley Jr. could face life in prison at sentencing
- The driver of a semitrailer packed with at least 39 immigrants, 10 of whom died, pleaded guilty Monday to making the deadly smuggling run. James Matthew Bradley Jr., 61, pleaded Monday in federal court in San Antonio to one conspiracy count and a count of transporting the immigrants resulting in...
Immigrant's 'Unusual' Reprieve
After 11 Months in Hiding
Oct 12, 2017 7:37 AM CDT
Immigrant's 'Unusual' Reprieve After 11 Months in Hiding
Javier Flores Garcia is going home to be with his family thanks to special deferred status and visa
- Since November, Javier Flores Garcia has been separated from his family and hunkered down in a Philly church to avoid deportation, serving as a handyman and praying. On Wednesday, per NBC Philadelphia , the undocumented immigrant finally left the Arch Street United Methodist Church where he'd found sanctuary not long...
He'd Be Murdered
If Deported. He Was
Sep 21, 2017 11:09 AM CDT
Wife Warned He'd Be Murdered If Deported. He Was
Juan Coronilla-Guerrero's case isn't unique
- Juan Coronilla-Guerrero's wife told a federal judge that her husband would be murdered if he was forced to return to Mexico, the birthplace he'd fled because of gang violence. And he was—perhaps by the very people he'd hoped to evade. Deported three months ago after federal...
Driver Says He
Didn't Know He
Jul 24, 2017 11:54 AM CDT
Truck Deaths: Driver Says He Didn't Know He Carried People
James M. Bradley Jr. charged with transporting immigrants in US illegally
- The tragedy is extreme—now 10 people dead after being contained in a stiflingly hot tractor-trailer parked at a San Antonio Walmart—and so too is the potential sentence for James M. Bradley Jr. In advance of his Monday appearance in federal court, the 60-year-old driver of the truck...
DHS: 'Unprecedented' Drop in
Illegal Immigrants From Mexico
Mar 9, 2017 11:09 AM CST
DHS: 'Unprecedented' Drop in Illegal Immigrants From Mexico
40% decline in apprehensions from January to February of this year
- There's usually a significant increase, of up to 20%, each January to February in the apprehension of illegal immigrants crossing over into the States from Mexico. But this year, a surprising development, the BBC reports: Based on figures released by Customs and Border Protection , January's number of 31,...
Massive Immigration Raids
'Send a Message' Under Trump
Feb 11, 2017 9:55 AM CST
Massive Immigration Raids 'Send a Message' Under Trump
Hundreds have been arrested this week in raids across at least 6 states
- "People are panicking." That's the message from one immigration lawyer after hundreds of undocumented immigrants were rounded up this week by ICE agents in raids in New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and the Carolinas, the
reports. According to NPR , the raids were the first...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Jackass Star Bam Margera Reportedly on Ventilator
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.