Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Disney, Charter Reach Deal
Just in Time for Football Fans
Sep 11, 2023 1:17 PM CDT
Disney, Charter Reach Deal Just in Time for Football Fans
Cable company's customers will be able to watch ESPN's 'Monday Night Football'
- America's second-largest cable company has reached a deal with Disney just in time for subscribers to be able to watch the season's first
Monday Night Football
on ESPN. An impasse that began Aug. 31 left Charter Communications' 14.7 million customers without access to Disney channels including ESPN,...
ESPN May Be About to
Enter 'Uncharted Waters'
Aug 9, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
ESPN May Be About to Enter 'Uncharted Waters'
Media giant, Penn Entertainment to launch 'ESPN Bet,' a sports betting app rebrand
- You know ESPN the sports media giant. Now brace yourself for ESPN Bet, a rebranding of an existing sports-betting app owned by Penn Entertainment, which is paying $1.5 billion plus other considerations for exclusive rights to the ESPN name. The deal, announced Tuesday, could take Walt Disney Co.-owned...
ESPN Analyst 'Looking OK'
After On-Air Collapse
Jul 24, 2023 11:25 AM CDT
ESPN Analyst 'Looking OK' After On-Air Collapse
Former soccer goalie Shaka Hilsop had a scary moment
- A scary moment over the weekend for two ESPN announcers, after one witnessed the other collapsing during a live broadcast from California's Rose Bowl. It was just a few minutes before kickoff for a friendly match between the AC Milan and Real Madrid soccer clubs on Sunday when former...
ESPN Cuts Top Commentators
Jun 30, 2023 4:43 PM CDT
ESPN Cuts Top Commentators
NBA analyst Jeff Van Gundy is among on-air employees laid off
- About 20 of ESPN's most prominent on-air commentators are being laid off as part of cutbacks by Disney, the network's owner. Those who lost their jobs include Jeff Van Gundy, Jalen Rose, Max Kellerman, Steve Young, Suzy Kolber, Keyshawn Johnson, Ashley Brewer, Todd McShay, and LaPhonso Ellis. "...
ESPN Prepares to Shake Up
the Cable Industry
in case you missed it
May 21, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
ESPN Prepares to Shake Up the Cable Industry
Network plans to sell channel as a subscription-streaming service, reports 'Wall Street Journal'
- The cord-cutting movement has been a gradual one over the years, but a move in the works by ESPN might accelerate the shift. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that the sports network will sell its channel as a subscription-streaming service in the not-too-distant future. However, the timeline is vague, with...
Paralyzed as a Kid,
She Feared Relapse
That Suddenly Came
May 11, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
Paralyzed as a Kid, She Feared Relapse That Suddenly Came
'I keep believing in miracles,' ESPN's Victoria Arlen says after 2nd recovery from transverse myelitis
- After hosting ESPN's
in March of last year, Victoria Arlen felt an odd sensation in her face, then her legs. Rushed to a hospital, she was told she was having a stroke, the broadcaster and former Paralympian tells
. The 28-year-old's reaction: "At least it's...
Too High at
Mar 11, 2023 4:05 PM CST
Disney Boss: Prices Got Too High at Theme Parks
But Disney+ should have cost more at rollout, Iger says
- The head of the Walt Disney Co. has conceded that theme park admission prices might have gotten a little out of hand—under his predecessor. "I always believed that Disney was a brand that needs to be accessible," Bob Iger said at a conference Thursday, Deadline reports. "...
Hall of Famer Sues
Hotel for $100M
Feb 10, 2023 4:15 PM CST
Hall of Famer Sues Hotel for $100M After Accusation
Michael Irvin denies misbehaving, though he can't remember details of hotel encounter
- Michael Irvin has filed a lawsuit seeking $100 million over accusations he says are false and are destroying his career. The Hall of Fame receiver was dropped from TV networks' Super Bowl coverage after a woman accused him of inappropriate behavior when they met briefly at a hotel Sunday night,...
Quirky ESPN Ad
Campaign Is Back
Jan 3, 2023 12:20 PM CST
Quirky ESPN Ad Campaign Is Back
Syracuse's Otto the Orange joins US women's soccer stars for new 'This Is SportsCenter' ad
- ESPN's iconic advertising campaign is back, with the first installment of "This Is SportsCenter" in three years. The comical, off-kilter ads routinely feature athletes and mascots in promotion of ESPN's flagship sports news program. This one is no different. The 15-second " Orange Slices " shows US...
Longtime ESPN Journalist
Comes Out as Transgender
Aug 11, 2022 4:55 AM CDT
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
MA Voepel says his dedication to covering women's sports is unchanged
- ESPN journalist MA Voepel, described by the network as "the foremost authority on women's basketball in both the collegiate and professional ranks," has come out as transgender. "In sports media, we're lucky to tell stories of others’ journeys," Voepel tweeted . "We have our...
Apr 28, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Anchor Sues ESPN, Arguing Retaliation Over Comments
Sage Steele says podcast remarks about Obama, vaccine mandates were made as a private citizen
- An ESPN anchor has sued the network, saying it retaliated against her over remarks she made as a guest on an unrelated podcast last fall. The filing by Sage Steele says the company's actions were in breach of her contract and a violation of her right to free speech,...
'One of Most
Be at NFL Draft
Apr 19, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
'One of Most Recognizable Figures' Won't Be at NFL Draft
Mel Kiper Jr. is not vaccinated against COVID-19
calls Mel Kiper Jr. "one of the most recognizable figures in NFL draft media"—but the ESPN NFL draft analyst won't be attending this year, because he's not vaccinated against COVID-19. "I completely support everyone determining what's best for their individual...
Joe Buck Jumps Networks
Mar 13, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Joe Buck Jumps Networks
Play-by-play announcer goes to ESPN after being with Fox since the beginning
- Joe Buck, who's called games for Fox Sports since its launch in 1994, has a new network. The announcer will handle play-by-play for ESPN's
Monday Night Football
broadcasts, the network's only NFL game,
reports. The move will keep intact the Buck-Troy Aikman team, Fox's...
ABC, ESPN, Other Disney
Channels Back on YouTube TV
Dec 20, 2021 1:40 AM CST
ABC, ESPN, Other Disney Channels Back on YouTube TV
The 2 companies have reached a deal
Disney content is back on YouTube TV after the video streaming company reached a deal with Disney on Sunday to restore access to its channels,
reports. The price of Disney content now reverts to $64.99 a month, but impacted members will get a single $15 discount....
Oct 11, 2021 12:42 AM CDT
Jon Gruden Addresses Racist Remark
Says he's apologized to DeMaurice Smith over 2011 comment
- Jon Gruden again said he is not a racist after his Las Vegas Raiders lost their first game since the revelation of the head coach's 2011 racial remark about players’ union leader DeMaurice Smith. Gruden apologized for his “insensitive remarks” when asked about the decade-old emails following the...
Sage Steele Is Off the Air
After Controversial Remarks
Oct 5, 2021 6:01 PM CDT
Sage Steele Is Off the Air After Controversial Remarks
Insiders say anchor, ESPN agreed it was time for a break
: ESPN anchor Sage Steele will be off the air for at least a few days following controversial remarks she made on a podcast. On Jay Cutler's podcast, the
co-host described the network's vaccine mandate as "sick" and questioned why Barack Obama identifies as Black, "...
Chant at Ashton
Sep 12, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Football Fans Direct Unusual Chant at Ashton Kutcher
'Take a shower!' crowd at U of Iowa-Iowa State game yelled at 'Punk'd' star during ESPN appearance
- Iowa State played the University of Iowa on Saturday, and one of the latter's most famous students showed up in Ames to weigh in on ESPN's
. But when Ashton Kutcher started making his picks, the crowd's reaction wasn't a typical one, though it didn'...
ESPN Reporter Steps Down
Over Vaccine Mandate
Sep 10, 2021 4:35 AM CDT
ESPN Reporter Steps Down Over Vaccine Mandate
Allison Williams says getting COVID vaccine is 'not in her best interest'
- Veteran ESPN reporter Allison Williams says her "heart hurts" at not being on the sidelines for college football for the first time in 15 years—but she has decided to step aside instead of complying with a COVID vaccine mandate. Williams tweeted Wednesday that while her work is extremely...
Mysterious 'High School' Team
Made It Onto ESPN, Bombed
Aug 31, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Mysterious 'High School' Team Made It Onto ESPN, Bombed
Bishop Sycamore might not be legit
- A national ESPN broadcast featured a game between one of the best high school football teams in the country and a team no one had heard of until Sunday's matchup. Bishop Sycamore—which claims to be an online prep school based in Columbus, Ohio—has yet to record a...
ESPN Has Canceled
Rachel Nichols' Show
Aug 26, 2021 1:50 AM CDT
ESPN Has Canceled Rachel Nichols' Show
Following controversial remarks on Maria Taylor
- Less than two months after her comments about a Black colleague at ESPN made headlines , Rachel Nichols' show at the sports network is no more. ESPN announced Wednesday that
will be canceled and Nichols will be taken off NBA coverage, the AP reports. Nichols had complained last year...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.