Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Recalled Due to
Sep 29, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Thousands of Cantaloupes Recalled Due to Salmonella Risk
No illnesses have been reported in connection with the recall
- Nearly 6,500 cases of whole cantaloupes sold in 19 states earlier this month are being recalled due to potential salmonella contamination. The cantaloupes, distributed by Eagle Produce and sold under the brand name Kandy Produce, all have the UPC number code 4050 and lot codes 797901,797900, or 804918,...
CDC: Stop Kissing Turtles
Aug 23, 2023 3:34 PM CDT
CDC: Stop Kissing Turtles
Small turtles have been linked to salmonella outbreak in 11 states
- Kissing a turtle won't transform it into a slow-moving prince—and according to a Centers for Disease of Control and Prevention warning, it could make you very sick. An outbreak investigation notice posted Wednesday warns that at least 26 people have been sickened and nine hospitalized in a multi-state...
Gold Medal Flour
May 1, 2023 12:35 AM CDT
Gold Medal Flour Recalled Over Salmonella
General Mills says bacteria was found in a sample
- Time to check your cupboards: General Mills is recalling some bags of its Gold Medal flour after salmonella was found in a sample. The voluntary recall covers two-, five- and 10-pound bags of Gold Medal Unbleached and Bleached All Purpose Flour with “better if used by” dates of March...
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
May 22, 2022 6:10 AM CDT
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
Multiple products linked to salmonella outbreak
- If you eat Jif, it's time to check the cupboard. The company is recalling some of its peanut butter because of a salmonella outbreak that has sickened at least 14 people in 12 states, reports NPR . The recall includes creamy, crunchy, and reduced fat peanut butters.
What to check:
Food Poisoning Can Cost
You Far More Than You Think
Jan 23, 2022 7:15 AM CST
Food Poisoning Can Cost You Far More Than You Think
ProPublica looks at some of the lingering impacts
- "You think, 'Oh, foodborne illness is just a bellyache,' but it is quite costly." The loved ones of Lovey Jean Carter learned that the hard way. After the Texas woman was buried in Austin in November 2019, some 84 people moved on to a reception at...
You May Need to
Toss Your Onions
Oct 21, 2021 2:16 AM CDT
You May Need to Toss Your Onions
Salmonella outbreak has sickened more than 650 so far
- Have any whole red, white, or yellow onions without a sticker or packaging in your cupboard? The CDC says you should throw them out. A salmonella outbreak linked to imported onions has so far sickened more than 650 people, including at least 129 who were hospitalized, the
New York Times
If You Own One of These
Lounge Chairs, Don't Sit in It
Aug 11, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
If You Own One of These Lounge Chairs, Don't Sit in It
True Living Sling Loungers sold by Dollar General recalled over amputation potential
- If your eyes tend to glaze over when you read about product recalls, this one might get your attention.
reports the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a recall for select True Living Sling Loungers following three confirmed cases of amputations or lacerations in connection with the...
Culprit in New Salmonella
Outbreak: Red Onions
Aug 2, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
Culprit in New Salmonella Outbreak: Red Onions
Nearly 400 Americans sickened in outbreak linked to Calif. company
- Federal health officials say an outbreak of salmonella infecting nearly 400 people in more than 30 states has been linked to red onions, and identified a California company as the likely source. The Food and Drug Administration said in a statement on Friday that Thomson International Inc. of Bakersfield, Calif....
Outbreak Hits 23 States
Jul 25, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Mystery Salmonella Outbreak Hits 23 States
Health officials are struggling to find the source
- A salmonella outbreak of no known origin has struck nearly two dozen states and hospitalized 31 people,
reports. The CDC said on Friday that 212 cases have emerged in 23 states, with 8 new states listed since Tuesday. While bacterial outbreaks are often linked to a food source,...
Implicated in 5
Feb 26, 2020 6:03 AM CST
Jimmy John's Implicated in 5 Illness Outbreaks
Chain stops selling sprouts after FDA warning about 'adulterated' food
- Veggies served by sandwich chain Jimmy John's have been linked to five outbreaks of E. coli and salmonella over the past seven years, affecting consumers in at least 17 states, the FDA said Tuesday. The most recent outbreak saw 22 people in Iowa sickened with E.coli in late...
From the Inside Out'
After Gecko Dare
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 7, 2019 7:27 AM CDT
Man 'Rotted From the Inside Out' After Gecko Dare
Australia's David Dowell may or may not have eaten the reptile
- The family of an Australian father of three who died in December says he "basically rotted from the inside out" after reportedly eating a gecko on a dare. David Dowell of Brisbane at first thought he was hungover when he didn't feel well a day after a Dec....
39 Tons of
Mar 14, 2019 6:19 PM CDT
39 Tons of Ground Turkey Recalled
Butterball meat affected after salmonella cases are reported
- Butterball LLC issued a voluntarily recall of more than 78,000 pounds of raw ground turkey products nationwide Thursday as Wisconsin health officials investigate four salmonella cases in the state. The US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service said the prepackaged ground turkey was produced on July...
CDC Officially Warns Against
Kissing, Snuggling Hedgehogs
Jan 27, 2019 1:57 PM CST
CDC Officially Warns Against Kissing, Snuggling Hedgehogs
Due to a recent salmonella outbreak
- "Don't kiss or snuggle hedgehogs." That's the official warning from the CDC due to a salmonella outbreak, the
New York Times
reports. Eleven people across eight states have all been infected with the same strain of the bacteria, and 10 of those people said they'd...
164K Pounds of Turkey
Recalled Amid Outbreak
Dec 22, 2018 4:47 PM CST
164K Pounds of Turkey Recalled Amid Outbreak
Jennie-O pulls products off the shelves
- Jennie-O Turkey Store Sales, Inc. is recalling 164,000 pounds of raw ground turkey amid a wider salmonella outbreak that's sickened 216 people since November 2017, CNN reports. The USDA announced the recall Friday as the CDC reported 52 new cases of illness linked to the salmonella. The outbreak...
USDA Recall: 91K Pounds of
Jennie-O Ground Turkey
Nov 16, 2018 11:00 AM CST
USDA Recall: 91K Pounds of Jennie-O Ground Turkey
Meat may be tied to 35-state salmonella outbreak
- If you're planning on scarfing down turkey on Thanksgiving, you may want to stick with the traditional full bird instead of the ground variety. KHOU reports Jennie-O has recalled more than 91,000 pounds of raw ground turkey shipped to stores around the US, and the USDA notes it'...
Don't Lick That Spoon: 2.4M
Boxes of Cake Mix Recalled
Nov 6, 2018 12:25 PM CST
Don't Lick That Spoon: 2.4M Boxes of Cake Mix Recalled
Over salmonella fears
- You might want to think twice before licking the bowl where you mixed your cake batter. Some 2.4 million boxes of Duncan Hines cake mix have been recalled due to a risk of salmonella poisoning,
reports. The FDA and the CDC are investigating a salmonella outbreak in...
6.5 Million Pounds
of Beef Recalled After
Oct 4, 2018 3:03 PM CDT
6.5 Million Pounds of Beef Recalled After Salmonella Outbreak
At least 57 have been sickened
- More than 6.5 million pounds of ground beef and beef patties have been recalled due to a salmonella outbreak that has so far sickened at least 57 people from 16 states, the USDA announced Thursday. The affected beef comes from Arizona-based meat producer JBS Tolleson, Inc., and was packaged...
'Healthy' Couple's Death
Gets a Little Clearer
Aug 25, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
'Healthy' Couple's Death Gets a Little Clearer
John and Susan Cooper suddenly got sick and died at Egyptian hotel
- A British couple that died unexpectedly at an Egyptian hotel may have fallen victim to severe food poisoning, the
reports. To recap: John Cooper and his wife Susan Cooper, both in their 60s and described as "fit and healthy," died Tuesday while vacationing at the Steigenberger Aqua...
Taco Bell Cheese Dip,
Goldfish Crackers Recalled
Jul 25, 2018 7:07 PM CDT
Taco Bell Cheese Dip, Goldfish Crackers Recalled
Over botulism fears and salmonella fears, respectively
- If you've got Taco Bell "Salsa Con Queso" mild cheese dip in your house, you might have to toss it. Kraft Heinz has issued a voluntary recall for about 7,000 cases of the dip due to signs of product separation that could allow for the growth of...
16 Ritz Products Recalled
Over Salmonella Risk
Jul 23, 2018 8:31 AM CDT
16 Ritz Products Recalled Over Salmonella Risk
Those pulled include certain varieties of Ritz Bits
- Mondelez Global says it's voluntarily recalling some of its Ritz Cracker products over potential risk of salmonella. The company is recalling 16 varieties of Ritz Cracker Sandwiches and Ritz Bits products in the US. See the full list here , including the expiration dates. The products contain whey powder, which...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.